• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planning a trip to Banff/Jasper, any tips suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
xVQVVVm.png

I've been there before with my parents when I was younger and remember enjoying the glacier and the hot springs as well as Lake Louise. I'm now planning a trip in early september with my friends and was wondering if there was anyone here with experience that can recommend stuff to do, or how to get cheap tickets/bookings for things.

Thanks

Bigfoot

You can usually find good deals for Banff if you look around and check the hotel websites. Jasper has less hotels though so it's harder to find good deals. September is the end of high season so prices are still high, but it won't be as busy. If you can, delay your trip to when high season ends to get better prices. Lots of hotels will have dates for their high seasons. You could also stay in Canmore which is 30 minutes from Banff but is still nice and cheaper.

If you want to splurge, eat at the Grizzly House in Banff. Awesome food and experience, but bring a change of clothes as you will leave very smelly. You can hike the mountain in Banff too and take the Gondola down for something to do if you like hiking. I would also recommend renting a canoe in town and doing the lakes. I don't have much to say about Jasper as it has been many years since I've been there.

Banff is probably a no go for at least several weeks. Parts of Jaspar were spared from the flooding. By September a lot of the trails should be back to normal, but itight be iffy for all of kananaskis country.

Divvy

You can usually find good deals for Banff if you look around and check the hotel websites. Jasper has less hotels though so it's harder to find good deals. September is the end of high season so prices are still high, but it won't be as busy. If you can, delay your trip to when high season ends to get better prices. Lots of hotels will have dates for their high seasons. You could also stay in Canmore which is 30 minutes from Banff but is still nice and cheaper.

If you want to splurge, eat at the Grizzly House in Banff. Awesome food and experience, but bring a change of clothes as you will leave very smelly. You can hike the mountain in Banff too and take the Gondola down for something to do if you like hiking. I would also recommend renting a canoe in town and doing the lakes. I don't have much to say about Jasper as it has been many years since I've been there.

Thanks for the advice. When does the high season end typically? I remember going before in early september and that being the perfect weather to stroll around in shorts and whatnot. And canoeing is definitely in the plans, any recommendations on which lakes are the best? I vaguely remember canoeing at this awesome long lake near Jasper or something (actually maybe it was lake minnewanka)

Banff is probably a no go for at least several weeks. Parts of Jaspar were spared from the flooding. By September a lot of the trails should be back to normal, but itight be iffy for all of kananaskis country.

Oh that's right, I forgot that that area was affected by the flooding too. Hmmm, maybe late september?

Canmore got hit hard, but Banff didn't really get it that bad. They've said it's open for business and that there's no huge issues.

Edit: Here's the tourism boards message on them being open - Link

Divvy

Canmore got hit hard, but Banff didn't really get it that bad. They've said it's open for business and that there's no huge issues.

Edit: Here's the tourism boards message on them being open - Link

That's good to hear.

Bigfoot

Thanks for the advice. When does the high season end typically?

Usually mid to late September, but with that said, you can still find good deals after the Sept long weekend.

And canoeing is definitely in the plans, any recommendations on which lakes are the best?

The Vermillion Lakes are right next to Banff and you can rent and launch from a place right in town. The lakes also connect to the river so you can canoe on it as well. It is a nice place to canoe but maybe not the nicest in the area, but you can't beat the convenience of walking from your hotel to the rental place and going from there.

Divvy

Usually mid to late September, but with that said, you can still find good deals after the Sept long weekend.

The Vermillion Lakes are right next to Banff and you can rent and launch from a place right in town. The lakes also connect to the river so you can canoe on it as well. It is a nice place to canoe but maybe not the nicest in the area, but you can't beat the convenience of walking from your hotel to the rental place and going from there.

Thanks, will check that out.

Also bumping for maybe more tips from the morning crowd

pr0cs

I drove through Banff and Canmore yesterday coming from Kelowna. There really isn't any reason to not visit them, they've worked hard to clean up after the flooding.
Columbia Icefields is pretty cool, I'm not much of a hiker but there are nearly and endless amount of hiking trails and scenic spots around Banff and throughout the parks that you could go daily and not see everything if you stayed for months.
Lake Louise is nice even in summer, you can take a lift up and get some pretty crazy views and great photos.

Divvy

I drove through Banff and Canmore yesterday coming from Kelowna. There really isn't any reason to not visit them, they've worked hard to clean up after the flooding.
Columbia Icefields is pretty cool, I'm not much of a hiker but there are nearly and endless amount of hiking trails and scenic spots around Banff and throughout the parks that you could go daily and not see everything if you stayed for months.
Lake Louise is nice even in summer, you can take a lift up and get some pretty crazy views and great photos.

I'm definitely going to Lake Louise and maybe staying in the area for a day. I do really want to stay at the fairmont, but it's pretty expensive.

pr0cs

Most of the stuff at or near Banff can be pricey (accomodations/food) just because you're a 'captive audience', tourism king there.
That being said the scenery is some of the best in the world and worth the price of admission.
Be aware that Stampede is coming up starting the end of this week which may modify prices/availability in the parks as well.

If you like hiking, I'd recommend the hike through Johnston Canyon to the ink pots (near Banff). It's a nice hike past a bunch of waterfalls, up the mountain, and then you end up at the ink pots with mountains all around. I think it's about 6 km for the whole hike and not a lot of people go the whole way, so we were all alone when we reached the top which was nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom