• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum Games/Activision announce Legend of Korra downloadable for PC/XB/PS [screen]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

Why is this game going to be so good?

I have no idea, I was very optimistic when I read that Platinum was making a Korra game, but I honestly wasn't expecting something as deep as this sounds.

We need gameplay to either go full retard on the hype train or regret trusting previews.

Arion

This might be the first activision game i buy in a while or the first platinum game i don't buy in a while. Here is hoping for the former.

BadWolf

I have no idea, I was very optimistic when I read that Platinum was making a Korra game, but I honestly wasn't expecting something as deep as this sounds.

We need gameplay to either go full retard on the hype train or regret trusting previews.

Yeah they are going further with this then I thought they would in the depth department.

For example it seems that Korra has a Beast Within-like ability that lets her move around really fast like Bayonetta (and is activated the same way, double tapping R2).

Not only that but apparently what Korra does if you tap R2 twice changes depending on what style you are in.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Several sites have cited Atsushi Kurooka as being a producer on Korra (they haven't specified if he's the head producer, which is normally Atsushi Inaba on most Platinum games, or if he's just a producer). I've been going through various Platinum games' credits to see what else he's worked on, and all I've found is that he was an assistant producer on Wonderful 101. And a few sites say that he was a programmer for Capcom on Mega Man & Bass, heh.

I wonder if a lot of the people who worked on W101 got put onto Korra.

I'm not familiar with Platinum Games, can someone explain why they are worshiped?
Bayonetta is a masterpiece and one of the best action games ever made. Vanquish was a fantastic shooter as well.

They're the best in the industry at the action genre right now. This should be a solid game at worst.

Ramon3MR

Neo Member
The game is in "early alpha" but the combat was pretty fun, especially when you attained the four bending abilities. Pulling off combos while changing the bending abilities on the fly, was pretty cool.

Mr. X

I'm not familiar with Platinum Games, can someone explain why they are worshiped?

Ex-Capcom employees from the PS2 era after Clover studios (Okami, Viewtiful Joe, God Hand) was shutdown. Before Clover, they worked on various well-known Capcom IPs like RE and DMC. Platinum is composed of Clover and SEEDS empoyees, notably Hideki Kamiya (DMC1, VJoe, Okami) and Atushi Inaba (Producer on many many titles).

They made Bayonetta, Mad World, Vanquish, Wonderful 101, Infinite Space, Anarchy Reigns, and Metal Gear Rising: Revengence. They're known for their sharp and responsive action games that a just a ton of fun to play and push buttons in and are highly regarded seemingly from other devs, pubs and consumers.

Blader

Ex-Capcom employees from the PS2 era after Clover studios (Okami, Viewtiful Joe, God Hand) was shutdown. Before Clover, they worked on various well-known Capcom IPs like RE and DMC. Platinum is composed of Clover and SEEDS empoyees, notably Hideki Kamiya (DMC1, VJoe, Okami) and Atushi Inaba (Producer on many many titles).

Wasn't SEEDS just the original name for Platinum? It wasn't a separate company.

Akiller

So according to this Nick Robinson guy, who got some hands-on impressions, Korra is being directed by Shirahama: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCmd5-SGuoA

Shirahama was a designer on MadWorld, Anarchy Reigns and Wonderful 101.

Robinson also mentions at about the 3 minute mark in that video that the game is $15 and four to five hours, although he may have been pulling that out of his ass while discussing the digital nature of the game. I'm not sure.

Hype?Hype.

Ramon3MR

Neo Member
As for the whole $15 and 5-hours or so of gameplay, there was no mention of that during my hands-on demo.

Pricing hasn't been set and the game is still in early alpha so length isn't set either.

Hey thanks for insulting my tastes. Really appreciate it.

Wait, I don't appreciate it, and you're actually an ignorant jackass.

but he didn't lie
iMDBtVdKX0aeU.gif

Neiteio

God of War doesn't touch Platinum Games, IMO, but it's still perfectly solid gameplay with a very particular rhythm that makes the combat quite satisfying. I can see how some might prefer it.

What gave you that idea? Wonderful 101's amazing sales?

I was thinking more like Sonic All Star Racing selling best on Wii U and Skylanders and Disney Infinity seeing their highest current gen sales on Wii U, but whatever.

I still want to see what the 3DS version looks like. If they got Platinum to make the console version maybe they got Julian Gollop to make the 3DS version.

StuBurns

Banned
GoW is really fun. I think Bayo is a whole other level in terms of combat, but GoW2 is a better game I think.

No need for anyone to get nasty.

I'm in, specially with the show going on and all. For quite a while I had thought that the world of Korra would be perfect for a game, with the bending. Hope Platinum can make the combat in this one as good as Bayonetta.

lexi

Banned
I look forward to paying $100 for this

Australia, where Activision up until very recently charged $90 for CoD MW2

JPKellams

Being the only one in this thread that worked on Bayonetta, I don't think that God of War is for frat douches, or is "cinematic gameplay." That's just ignorant vitriol.

To me: Bayo is a mechanically-driven game, God of War is a level design-driven game. They both do what they set out to do extremely well.

In Japan, a game designer is a "planner" and spends a huge amount of time on mechanic design. We don't really have a tradition of game design-driven levels. Instead, you have the environment team making levels as essentially "stages" for the mechanics. In the US, many designers are either Level Designers doing their own scripting/engagements or have come from that background. God of War is more successful because it is easier to understand good level design than it is to understand a deep combat mechanic.

Having gotten insanely drunk with a few members of the GoW team over the years, I think that many would agree with the summary above.

Now can we talk about Korra. :)

I look forward to paying $100 for this

Australia, where Activision up until very recently charged $90 for CoD MW2

It's download, so expect to pay $60!

Seriously though, AUS are shocking. I'd hate to be a gamer living there.

Being the only one in this thread that worked on Bayonetta, I don't think that God of War is for frat douches, or is "cinematic gameplay." That's just ignorant vitriol.

To me: Bayo is a mechanically-driven game, God of War is a level design-driven game. They both do what they set out to do extremely well.

In Japan, a game designer is a "planner" and spends a huge amount of time on mechanic design. We don't really have a tradition of game design-driven levels. Instead, you have the environment team making levels as essentially "stages" for the mechanics. In the US, many designers are either Level Designers doing their own scripting/engagements or have come from that background. God of War is more successful because it is easier to understand good level design than it is to understand a deep combat mechanic.

Having gotten insanely drunk with a few members of the GoW team over the years, I think that many would agree with the summary above.

Any idea when we can expect some gameplay footage?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Wow great more armchair forum devel- o..oh wait.

Anyway a focus on game mechanics is probably why PG has the core fanbase that it does. Lacking in a lot of titles nowadays and if people are hungry for solid mechanic based gameplay there aren't a ton of known devs providing.

Speaking of PG team members getting drunk, can we meet in shimbashi so I can make you and other PG staff drunkenly sign contracts do to a Gantz title? Pls respond.

Epcott

I hope this is only a taste of a larger 12-14 hour game they plan to release next year.

Please Platty?

I'm hyped, I just wish it to be a longer game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom