• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum Games: Bayonetta on PS3 was “our biggest failure”

he HASN'T PLAYED Streets of Rage???

2274324-3x2-940x627.jpg

I did and I declared it as "Not as good as Final Fight but still an okay brawler".
But I never grew up with a Mega Drive/Genesis anyway, so yeah.

Dream17

Neo Member
Final Fight is absolutely better than Bare Knuckle 2

funny-gifs-have-ever-been-so-mad-that-you.gif

Street of rage 2 better man

and I think Street of Rage has nothing to do with Final Fight, whether levels of the atmosphere, the music,, the characters, the atmosphere ... In short, completely different but gameplay is more deep in SOR 2

One remembers Final Fight especially for its special design (but so limited in terms of moves)

Developing for PS3 sure is hard man

pNqKq.jpg

Love PG though

Developing a game specifically for the PS3 may not be a problem. Because it's easy for a developer to work around the strengths and weakness inherent in that console and come up with some stunning results.

But the real criticism here is developing cross platform games from the Xbox 360/ PC to PS3. The segregated RAM pools in the PS3 has generally been a common complaint with developers. Bayonetta and Skyrim aren't the only two isolated cases here, it's quite common to see PS3 versions of games suffer from slightly lower resolutions, lower quality textures or slightly worse frame rates than their XBox 360 counterparts. It seems having two different pools of RAM was the Achilles' heel of the PS3 for third party developers.

coldfoot

Banned
I agree with PG on this one. The PS3 library would have been just fine without another shitty game. Bayonetta is crap on any platform, I'd rather play just about anything else.
Glad that Bayonetta 2 is WiiU exclusive.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I agree with PG on this one. The PS3 library would have been just fine without another shitty game. Bayonetta is crap on any platform, I'd rather play just about anything else.
Glad that Bayonetta 2 is WiiU exclusive.

You've made this comment before, and I'm still not sure what the point of it is. But thanks for dropping in.

Spy

It says a lot about a developer when their biggest failure is handing over a porting job to their publisher, and most PS3 users not even realizing the lack of quality of that port.

They definitely realized the lack of quality, lol.

coldfoot

Banned
You've made this comment before, and I'm still not sure what the point of it is. But thanks for dropping in.
I meant to say that I agree with PG. As far as Skyrim, I put 100+ hours into it on my PS3 without any problems, so I'm pretty happy about it being on the PS3. I guess having a fast HDD greatly helped, and after 1.3 or 1.4, I practically had no slowdowns instead of just minor ones.

antitrop

I feel like the kind of person who is interested in Bayonetta would have been well aware of the performance issues with the PS3 version at the time.

EGM1966

Nice honesty. Pity though they didn't make better platform/development choices in the first place. I'll never get why they aimed for 360 only in the first place. The console's great but most similar titles seem to sell a shade better on PS3 and of course going with 360 they were effectively planning to cut off the Japanese market for the title.

Low sales clearly dogged the title and I'm convinced if they'd taken the course they did with Vanquish they'd have seen better sales on PS3 in the first place and had a better chance of PS3/360 combined sales being enough to cover a sequel.

They didn't, but at least they can see the quick and dirty port wasn't the best response either.

Radec

Platinum Games: Bayonetta on PS3 was “our biggest failure” Reply to Thread

No, Vanguish was.

I enjoyed Bayonetta on PS3 (Patched). Vanguish on the other hand was pretty repetitive for me.

meta4

wasnt the ps3 version of bayonetta their best selling game too?

Lol. Yeah it sold better than the 360. They were absolutely stupid to not release a hack and slash game that was running properly on the PS3 considering the sales since PS3 users tend to buy more of these kind of games. Surprisingly even though Vanquish is a shooter it sold better on PS3 as well. Maybe because of sales in Japan.

Lol. Yeah it sold better than the 360. They were absolutely stupid to not release a hack and slash game that was running properly on the PS3 considering the sales since PS3 users tend to buy more of these kind of games. Surprisingly even though Vanquish is a shooter it sold better on PS3 as well. Maybe because of sales in Japan.

You round off your generalisations with the obvious.

Skilletor

It's closer to 30 fps than the 360's silky 60, right? That's playable. The game would load when you paused it. It was worse than Sonic 2006.

I wouldn't call the 360 version a "silky" 60. It had constant frame dips. It wasn't as bad as ps3 version, nowhere near, but silky it is not.

kuroshiki

Wait, what the fuck kamiya. What the fuck are you saying.

Street of Rage 2 was god damn the pinnacle of beat them up. Final fight is decent game but nowhere near the brilliance of SOR2.

My respect for kamiya decreased thousand folds.

Paracelsus

I still remember clearly spelling in rl when I read "Vanquish lead platform is PS3"

"Who gives a shit"

Which is still my feeling, more or less.

BadWolf

So all he could say about Bare Knuckles 2 is that its a rip off of Final Fight?

I guess that comment he made about Playstation All Stars being just a rip-off isn't that bad then.

Varth

Still remember the Sega bozo at the TGS before launch who got all flushed when I asked a simple comment on the worrying rumours that were already spreading about PS3 version. He proceeded not to comment, and Kamiya didn't like the question either. Not exactly a nice memory of both.

The Infinite Space guys, on the other hand, were a blast.

I liked it too, once I accepted that it was simply a violent, mediocre action game. It's easily the worst thing to come out of Platinum Games, regardless.

BadWolf

I was so envious when Madworld was announced back then because I adored God Hand, fortunately (b/c I had no intention of buying a Wii, still don't) the game didn't seem all that hot from some extended footage I watched.

Nice visual style though, too bad it was sort of wasted.

Arklite

I feel like I remember the PS3 version being very 'last second' as well. Like it was supposed to be a rock solid Xbox exclusive until it suddenly wasn't and a port was in the works a couple of months before release. I'm glad they don't use that as an excuse, and it wasn't pretty, but it was certainly better than getting nothing on PS3 for me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Bethesdas attitude to Skyrim PS3 was atrocious. They played everyone along for months with this kind of shit.

Wasn't it discovered that they lied about the engine too during this phase?

dat bitterness.

My favorite game of all time, and I won't be able to play the sequel because I don't have $400+ to drop on a new system this year.

Yeah, tiny violins, whiny babbies and all that. I'm pissed.

How can I be bitter when there's a new game? :D

Besides don't they still have console renting in the West? Here there are tons of PS3/Wii/360 renting areas.

omonimo

Banned
First of all, Vanquish was 30 fps and 720p on BOTH 360 and PS3 -- and looked better on PS3 because it didn't have screen-tearing.

The problem with Bayonetta PS3 wasn't the PS3, it was the fact Platinum didn't know how to develop for it at the time, so they handed it off to someone who wound up doing an incompetent job.

Since then, they've developed their games with PS3 as the lead platform. They confirmed this was the change to their approach back with Vanquish. Hence why Vanquish turned out just as well on PS3, and even better with no screen-tearing.

Excuse me, what? Game it's clearly sub 720p from Beyond3d analisys/DF, but even you can to see how blurried is it. Anyway sega has developed Bayonetta on ps3, just to be precise.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I played it on PS3 and I don't remember having any issues at all. Am I just oblivious?

It only really matters when you got a little more indepth in the combat system.

Stricter timings like counter hits with the malaa kalaa accessory are alot harder because of the framerate altering the timing and not consistently displaying the visual cues

In the scope of a normal completion for your average player, it's really no different than any other game besides looking alot less fluid than the 360 version.

but no developer should be satisfied with a multiplatform release with that kind of performance disparity, so good to see that they aren't. Alot of other developers seem to be perfectly fine with that.

Didn't they fix that through a patch?

Nah. From what I read the issues lied with how the PS3 handled some of the effects bayonetta was using.

Not something that can be fixed through a patch I think. Game seems like it was designed as a 360 exclusive at one point and the decision to port to PS3 was made alot later.

It'd need a Sigma type of redesign to get better performance on PS3

Anteater

even the dumb button mashing qtes were harder with the shit framerate, it doesn't seem to detect my button press when I mash them too fast

I had to mash slower, it was strange.

nullref

Final Fight is absolutely better than Bare Knuckle 2

If you feel like it, I'd love for you to elaborate on this. I have a lot of affection for Bare Knuckle 2, having played the hell out of it as a kid. But I've actually only ever played a few credits of Final Fight, despite having played plenty of later Capcom belt-scrollers (Alien vs. Predator, The Punisher, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs).

NinjaBoiX

Platinum are deft hands with all the consoles they've worked on; Bayo 360 is a glorious looking game, MadWorld was one of Wii's best looking titles, Vanquish led on ps3, and being v-synced, is actually slightly better, but fantastic on both. Handing Bayo over to Sega in-house was a mistake, but at least they'd have probably done a good job. They still have their coding reputation at least!

Top Bottom