• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum Games interested in Vigil and its employees [UPDATE: Sony SM interested]

Dawg

*update*

4444444vfo9q.png

0z1r7o.png

Thought this could use a thread of its own.

The executive director and producer of Platinum Games, Atsushi Inaba, tweeted his interest in buying THQ's Darksiders today after learning that no one made a bid for the franchise during THQ's auction today.

In a tweet he wrote today, the boss of the studio behind Bayonetta, Vanquish and the upcoming Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance said (in Japanese): "Oh man in THQ's big sale it looks like nobody's bought Darksiders ... I'd love to buy that (if it was cheap)."

In today's sale of THQ assets, Vigil Games and its properties failed to find a buyer, resulting in Vigil employees losing their jobs and the fate of the studio remaining as part of THQ's Chapter 11 bankruptcy case. A Vigil Games employee wrote a goodbye letter posted to the NeoGaf forum.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/23/39...sses-interest-in-buying-darksiders-on-twitter

platinumvigilo4zpv.png

AyIUEsW.jpg

DatDude

Banned
Where the fuck do they have the money?

I understand balancing your budget goes a long way, but still. This is a company that probably has NEVER made a profit on any of there games.

Risette

A Good Citizen

I understand balancing your budget goes a long way, but still. This is a company that probably has NEVER made a profit on any of there games.
Maybe they did make a profit on their games by maintaining reasonable budgets and not revelling in excess & bloat like many other developers. I dunno.

Aaron

Maybe they did make a profit on their games by maintaining reasonable budgets and not revelling in excess & bloat like many other developers. I dunno.
They have their own in house engine so they're not paying fees for Unreal or anything like that. Also I believe employees are paid less on average in Japan compared to US.

Defuser

Nintendo paid them for wonderful101 and bayo2 while Konami for MGR.

AOC83

Banned

Yeah, somehow hilarious that they produce one bomb after another and just keep going and going. Good though, i love their games.

sublimit

Banned
Probably stupid question but does that mean they are only interested in buying the IPs or do they want to buy the studio and employees in general?

Squire

Banned

Darksiders and Vigil didn't sell at $500k. They'd be even cheaper here.

They're almost in the realm of "Bought by a bored, young, rich person. Because they thought it'd be a cool thing to own."

As I said in the other thread: If PG can pay their employees, they can probably afford Darksiders.

monome

with Kamiya and Vigil's staff PG could bring a nice open worldish RPG with outlandish combat mechanics and visuals.

spekkeh

Banned
So imagine PG buying Darksiders.
Then imagine Nintendo buying PG.

Now go back to thinking about Darksiders.

Brb fapping.

Haven't played Darksiders, but it would be cool to see them help out another studio. Do they literally just have to make a bid to get them?

I need this to happen. I enjoyed Darksiders 1 and 2. Even with it's faults it had some enjoyable moments for me plus I really enjoy the lore.

If PG can get this IP, keep the lore intact but add their gameplay mechanics. I'm all over this like white on rice on a paper plate in the middle of a snow storm.

Linkified

Wasn't the whole reason why Darksiders was a decent game because they threw out some of the eastern conventions when designing the game ... I just feel more wary of this, than Ubi picking them up on the cheap.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Employees; yes. Franchise; no. Darksiders art and 12-year old DeviantArt account concept leaves me absolutely cold and wouldnt want to see Platinum wasting a second on it.

Top Bottom