• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames - 2013 Showreel

Riposte

What was Infinite Space like?

Hmm... visual novel presentation (made by former eroge dudes) with a JRPG-like battle system using space ships (has a naval/battleship look). I didn't get far into it because I found it kind of too slow at the time (had other games to play), but apparently it is very good space opera. As I said, this wasn't developed by PG.

Neiteio

Hmm... visual novel presentation (made by former eroge dudes) with a JRPG-like battle system using space ships. I didn't get far into it because I found it kind of too slow at the time (had other games to play), but apparently it is very good space opera. As I said, this wasn't developed by PG.
Huh. So what was PG's involvement? Publisher?

AniHawk

first half is like skies of arcadia in space (wow i just wanna explore the stars!)

second half is a lot darker and more like mass effect in tone (gotta save the galaxy!)

battle system is simple, and easy to break, but a lot of fun. good micromanagement of your fleet since you can buy ships, upgrade them, and appoint who you think would be the appropriate crew member per position (this helps increase your stats and attacks iirc).

it's ugly as sin- it looks like a n64/psx era game, but i thought it was a lot of fun, at least. one of the few games this gen i sunk at least 40 hours into.

duckroll

Really dense and large scale space opera adventure/sim taking place over decades, across two galaxies, with a crazy finale. Heavily inspired by classic scifi novels, Japanese visual novels, text adventures, and old PC space sims. Really low rent game, with really big ideas. I loved it.

The closest game I've played that I can really compare it to would be FTL. But FTL has a way better battle system, and is also much smaller scale.

Huh. So what was PG's involvement? Publisher?

I believe they acted as a sort of go-between for Nudemaker and Sega, since Nudemaker is a small and relatively obscure developer. Platinum putting their name on it probably allowed the project to get signed off by Sega in the first place.

Neiteio

Interesting. On an unrelated note, what is the bee woman in your avatar from, Duckroll? I quite like the look of her.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Really dense and large scale space opera adventure/sim taking place over decades, across two galaxies, with a crazy finale. Heavily inspired by classic scifi novels, Japanese visual novels, text adventures, and old PC space sims. Really low rent game, with really big ideas. I loved it.

The closest game I've played that I can really compare it to would be FTL. But FTL has a way better battle system, and is also much smaller scale.

I believe they acted as a sort of go-between for Nudemaker and Sega, since Nudemaker is a small and relatively obscure developer. Platinum putting their name on it probably allowed the project to get signed off by Sega in the first place.

Infinite Space is the only game of theirs I haven't played(and don't own)

Definitely on my to-do list for this year

Neiteio

It's real Neiteio.
image.php

Shinta

Banned
Definitely going to buy every one of these. Can't wait for MGR in particular.

I hope 2013 is also the year we start to see something from Tango Games and Valhalla Games. If all the best action gaming developers have a big 2013, that's going to be a dream come true.

AniHawk

How was the role-playing / story branching in Infinite Space?

story doesn't branch a whole lot. it does kinda play with the binary 'good and evil' mass effect thing a little. there are very few big choices in the game, but mercy isn't always the correct one.

first half is like skies of arcadia in space (wow i just wanna explore the stars!)

second half is a lot darker and more like mass effect in tone (gotta save the galaxy!)

battle system is simple, and easy to break, but a lot of fun. good micromanagement of your fleet since you can buy ships, upgrade them, and appoint who you think would be the appropriate crew member per position (this helps increase your stats and attacks iirc).

it's ugly as sin- it looks like a n64/psx era game, but i thought it was a lot of fun, at least. one of the few games this gen i sunk at least 40 hours into.

o rly? I always thought it looked boring, but that alone makes me want to play it.

AniHawk

o rly? I always thought it looked boring, but that alone makes me want to play it.

skies gets a lot more serious compared to where it started, but infinite space gets pretty dark. it's really only that first half of the game that feels that way. the tone shift is pretty obvious.

there's also less actual exploration. you're not in control of a 3d ship in 3d space. you're kinda just traveling around a world map the entire time. there are towns in planets you can visit, although that's when the game takes on more of a visual novel look in terms of interface.

Really looking forward to MGS Rising Revengeance (or however it's spelt). Also does anyone know the exactly when the demo will be released in North America ?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
PG making me buy a WiiU this year for two of their games.

Fuck you PlatinumGames, thank you PlatinumGames.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The Beyond part is clearly referring to their Star Fox game in 2014. Clearly.
Why do I do this to myself :(

Stop being ridiculous.

Treasure is making Star Fox. Everyone knows this.

Platinum is making the Shiek-based action game being released as a side story to Ocarina of Time.

Mistouze

Stop being ridiculous.

Treasure is making Star Fox. Everyone knows this.

Platinum is making the Shiek-based action game being released as a side story to Ocarina of Time.
Nah as much as I love Treasure, Kamiya has got to direct Starfox WiiU. He loves the series and said he wanted to make a SF game.

Shinta

Banned
kamiya kinda sucks when he's not making third-person action games though.

He's a creative guy who doesn't usually make sequels. RE2, DMC, Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, Okami, I think it's more likely that he'll try something new like Starfox than do another third person action game. I don't think he's even directing Bayonetta 2.

K.Sabot

Pretty much the best company in the business right now.

Which is funny, because Clover Studios was the best studio of its era as well.

TDLink

I don't think that's really true considering the last game he did that wasn't one was Viewtiful Joe...which was amazing.

Honestly the dude has a perfect track record. Just because he hasn't done a game like Star Fox before doesn't mean he can't. At this point I think he gets the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

AniHawk

I don't think that's really true considering the last game he did that wasn't one was Viewtiful Joe...which was amazing.

Honestly the dude has a perfect track record. Just because he hasn't done a game like Star Fox before doesn't mean he can't. At this point I think he gets the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

i haven't played re2, but i wasn't a big fan of viewtiful joe, and okami's got loads of pacing problems. he also puts boss rush mode into games that don't need them, like action-adventure games.

i'm also not very excited for wonderful 101, and that's after having played the demo.

Mistouze

AniHawk's gonna AniHawk and say stupid shit. The "kinda suck" guy has a pretty baller track record to speak for him. But I guess you've got opinions and stuff.

Mistouze

Similarly, I don't think Harmonix is very good at modern war FPSes.
Ehhhhh all of Kamiya games are third person action games. Resident Evil 2 is the only one where you could debate on its genre, being a sequel to a survival horror game that put some emphasis on action.

Caramello

Man I want The Wonderful 101... Sooo bad!! I don't really care about Bayo 2 and I'm not sold on Metal Gear Rising but to me The Wonderful 101 looks great!

AniHawk

Similarly, I don't think Harmonix is very good at modern war FPSes.

for me, the faster-paced a kamiya game is, the better it is. i love dmc and bayonetta. vj falls into a lower tier. okami's an action-adventure game and it's the worst he's done. a bit understandable- i think the game wouldn't have such noticeable pacing issues if the trilogy wasn't crammed into one game.

i guess 3d... action... brawlers would be a better genre. or something.

anyway, it just goes back to my concern regarding a franchise like star fox, especially where treasure's been pretty aces regarding on-rails stuff.

TDLink

for me, the faster-paced a kamiya game is, the better it is. i love dmc and bayonetta. vj falls into a lower tier. okami's an action-adventure game and it's the worst he's done. a bit understandable- i think the game wouldn't have such noticeable pacing issues if the trilogy wasn't crammed into one game.

i guess 3d... action... brawlers would be a better genre. or something.

anyway, it just goes back to my concern regarding a franchise like star fox, especially where treasure's been pretty aces regarding on-rails stuff.

Ideally a Star-Fox game would be fast paced. In addition to it being Kamiya's dream game (which means he has thought of ideas for it for a long long time) I am pretty sure his demonstrated skill with fast-paced insanity is what gives many confidence in his ability to pull it off.

Ideally a Star-Fox game would be fast paced. In addition to it being Kamiya's dream game (which means he has thought of ideas for it for a long long time) I am pretty sure his demonstrated skill with fast-paced insanity is what gives many confidence in his ability to pull it off.

The best part of a Kamiya Star Fox would be the amazingly satisfying barrel roll dodges into Witch Time Space Time.

Eusis

Should have bought it when it was new! :p
I hoped to get it cheaper when I realized I wasn't likely to play it any time soon!

A year later, broken and beaten I get a gutted copy at full MSRP from GameStop because it was now the cheapest option. I actually did have a cheaper Amazon pre-order, ah well.

Top Bottom