• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames hopes to give an update on Bayonetta 3 and more in 2021

When PlatinumGames is asked about Bayonetta 3, you tend to get the same response. Aside from the studio constantly reassuring fans that development is going well, we haven’t really heard much about the game. That’s been the case since the project was originally announced at The Game Awards in December 2017.

There’s still no word on when Bayonetta 3 will release, but perhaps we’ll finally hear more this year. That’s based on a brief comment from PlatinumGames’ Hideki Kamiya.

During one of the recent Arcade Archives streams, Kamiya – who is known for his appreciation of classic games – had a phone conversation with Hamster boss Satoshi Hamada. Kamiya ended up suggesting that there could be a status update on Bayonetta 3 and other upcoming titles from the studio in 2021.

Here’s the full transcript, as translated by Nintendo Everything:

Hamada: I believe that you’re very busy with new projects?

Kamiya: Well, I suppose… we’ve been working on new stuff like Bayonetta 3, not that I can say too much… but I hope we can give an update during the year.

Hamada: I see.

Kamiya: – and give updates on a few more unannounced projects too. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to say that, but I said it anyway.

Hamada: (laughing hysterically) Ah, so that’s how it is, huh?

Kamiya: The point is – I’m trying to do a lot of stuff this year.

Hamada: Got you! Thank you for the comment.

Kamiya: Please keep an eye on us. I’m hoping to bring some hype to this industry.

Hamada: I hope so too! I really would like to see you succeed in making AAA games. Meanwhile, we will focus more on classic games.

Kamiya: I’ll do my best, thanks.

Aside from Bayonetta 3, another notable upcoming PlatinumGames title is Project G.G. Kamiya is working on that title as director. Viewtiful Joe, The Wonderful 101, and Project G.G. are considered to be his superhero trilogy, though they are not directly related.

We certainly are overdue for an update, as Bayonetta 3 was announced three years ago, so hopefully very soon.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
"I’m hoping to bring some hype to this industry."

Yeah, so it will all be CG trailers for stuff that's probably years away and at risk of getting cancelled.

Fbh

In 3 years we've gotten zero trailers, screenshots, details or even concept art. And now they are saying they "hope" to be able to give an update in 2021.

It's getting hard to believe in their statements about "development going well".

Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, BOTW2 and SMTV are the reason I haven't sold my Switch. Sadly I'm starting to think we'll have a Switch 2 by the time all of those except SMTV are out.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
"An update on 2021" doesn't seem too well to those expecting it to release on 2021.
I’m expecting a 2022 release.

Platinum has a bad habit of biting off more than they can chew. It bit them on Granblue Fantasy and Scalebound. They need revenue coming in the door and take on too many projects. It’s a wonder the games they do release turn out so well.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Platinum has a bad habit of biting off more than they can chew. It bit them on Granblue Fantasy and Scalebound. They need revenue coming in the door and take on too many projects. It’s a wonder the games they do release turn out so well.
Agree mate, I don't see it coming this year either... maybe by Christmas if we are very optimistic.

At least their games rarely disppoint so hey, for me they can take as much time as they need. I still need to finish Bayo 1 and play 2, so no rush for me. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

We expected this game out years ago. Now, they "hope to give an update" within a year? This might miss the Switch completely at this rate.

Bayonetta doesn't seem like a franchise that should be having this much difficulty.

I hope they will deliver Babylon's Fall and Bayo 3 next year.
There are also Kamiya's next game and the the live service game (latter not for me) to look forward to.

Kokoloko85

Like Metroid 4 and SMT 5, Nintendo like to say there doing something to create hype...
Pretty shitty of them to do this becayse clearly nothing is being made

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Hope to give an update about a game that’s been in development for years we haven’t seen yet. Big goals!

This is disappointing. It sounds like it’s not coming in 2021. At least we’ll have plenty of other games while we wait. I’m sure stoked for SMT V and SMT III Remaster.

Last edited:
I think Shin Megami Tensei V will still release this year while Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 come out 2022. Not expecting PlatinumGames will go another year without showing anything.

Enjay

Banned
Cyberpunk 2099 must have them legit shook, they might realize their games need actual polish now and not just the polish they say they need when a delay is announced.

kiphalfton

In 3 years we've gotten zero trailers, screenshots, details or even concept art. And now they are saying they "hope" to be able to give an update in 2021.

It's getting hard to believe in their statements about "development going well".

Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, BOTW2 and SMTV are the reason I haven't sold my Switch. Sadly I'm starting to think we'll have a Switch 2 by the time all of those except SMTV are out.

Nintendo taking inspiration from the "No new games in 20xx" Neogaf thread, and only releasing games form their backlog.

Ryu Kaiba

they've got plenty of money...

Meesh

This isn't a drive by posting but I'm seriously just sitting here thinking about how much more Bayo3 will be over sexed in comparison the first 2 and how much better the action will be.
I mean this could be the third in a trilogy, the series could evolve and we might not see a follow up for quite some time...

...its just a weird gut thought. A lot of time shit happens in 3s before a shakedown. RE3 to RE4.
FF3 to FF4. Im sure there's tons of examples but the third in almost anything caps off a certain direction before introducing something totally new and sometimes hugely disappointing. Look at Alien3. Bam. Then there's this half baked Alien Resurrection.

But I have a feeling, a feeling in the darkest, predictable male, semi adolescent part of my erection driven brain that she's gunna be all the sexier. In part, of course because it's the third. She's gonna go with a bang and Bayo 4 will be a new direction all together.

It's a little worrying that we still haven't seen anything from this game, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully they're taking their time to polish it and it isn't in development hell. Bayo2 is one of my favorite games of the last decade, I would be pretty butthurt if they fucked it up

Mista

Banned
Three years of silence isn’t a good indication. You can always throw a screenshot or a short trailer to keep the people going

Unless after three years of announcement the games development haven’t started or just started, then that’s another case..

cireza

Banned
What a joke this company has become. Can't wait for their next kickstarter asking for money to fund an already developed port of one of their old games.

Last edited:

Valt7786

wouldnt surprise me if they've been told to hold it back as a switch pro/switch 2 release title at this point.

Labolas

I don't know man, I want to have faith that everything is going good with Platinum and Bayo but this gives my pessimistic side nothing but worry and doubt.

x@3f*oo_e!

Babylon's Fall is something that looked really interesting, then nothing.
rmEKM3n.png

SSfox

I'm so upset I have to buy a fucking switch for the fucking game. But the good news is that by the time the game came out the console will cost almost nothing.

[Sigma]

Doesn't sound like we're getting Bayonetta 3 this year;(. Some how this inspired me to boot up The Wonderful 101 again lol.

Keihart

Platinum games works kinda fast, i wonder what is the problem with Bayo 3, maybe it's being developed as a switch pro exclusive?...maybe?

Zannegan

I simple fucking screenshot wouldn't be too much to ask.
That would be nice, although I'd prefer a trailer. On the other hand, if they did release it, half the vocal crowd would be saying it is graphically superior to Demon's Souls Remastered, while the other half would be comparing it to a PS2 game and whining about it being an exclusive.
Lose-lose.

Here's hoping for a quick release after the update, whenever it comes.

Top Bottom