• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Unsure Astral Chain Will Remain Exclusive To Switch, Ultimately It's "Nintendo's Call"

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

During an interview with VGC recently, PlatinumGames' head Atsushi Inaba said it was "too early to say" what could happen, but did clarify it was an IP half-owned by Platinum and half-owned by Nintendo.

In the case of Astral Chain, it’s an IP that’s owned half by Platinum and half by Nintendo. So right now it just came out and it’s too early to say.
When further pressed on the possibility of a multi-platform release, Inaba said it was ultimately Nintendo's decision, as they own the publishing rights, and explained how PlatinumGames' acquisition of The Wonderful 101 rights was an "exclusive" case.

Ultimately it’s Nintendo’s call, not ours. They own the publishing rights to Astral Chain so really we have no say in that matter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Why people expect Nintendo to drop the exclusivity on that?

TW101 was dead wii U game, here they talked about potential sequels not long ago and the game sold well.

It's up to Nintendo and i'm guessing at best you'll see a Steam release later this year but don't count on that.

Well... this is a "NO" to multi-platform then.

Pity. Would be great to have a PC port since Switch is very expensive in my country. But no worries, someday I will need to save some money to get one either way. Can't pass Mario Odyssey. Then I pick Astral Chain also.
I'm sure the Switch is much cheaper in your country than mines. $7000+ pesos for a Switch Lite... Yikes

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Platinum says it's up to Nintendo, trolls say great it's as good as true. I want the drugs you lot are on. What do you think this guy would answer if they asked him if Mario would remain exclusive? The same exact answer could be said, it's up to Nintendo. Lmfao.
350.png

Funny how the trolls actively work against such graciousness happening in the future because a nice kind move by Nintendo to friends with an IP they had no intent to use again is twisted into oh wow, Nintendo has no exclusive gaemz, factz from muh azz. Lol.

Last edited:
What if they're in the talks about it already? With Astral Chain initial exclusivity backlash, and The Wonderful 101 overwhelming successful kickstarter, it seems like a huge missed opportunity.

splattered

I dunno Microsoft has already thrown the Switch a bone or two... maybe they arent doing the Wonderful 101 remake on xbox cause they're already deep into the XB1X enhanced port of Astral Chain? (Kidding!)

Why people expect Nintendo to drop the exclusivity on that?

its good for platinum because means more sales, nintendo sometimes cares about second party's well being....... as long as they are from japan, if not they treat you like ...., just ask argonaut and rare :S

nintendo already said yes to P* for W101 maybe they will say yes this time too, nothing wrong with asking

Last edited:
Well, if it's Nintendo's call, we'll probably not gonna see it anywhere else except on Nintendo consoles.
But Yuzu grows stronger everyday, so no biggie.

Inaba called it an exclusive case.

Also Astral Chain was actually successful for Nintendo, I don't see why they'd allow Platinum to put the game on other systems. It's obvious they didn't want to do anything with TW101.

1 million in sales is like a fart in the wind for nintendo. nintendo told them if you wanna do it, we won't fund it, He diffidently made it seem like a possibility.

MagnesG

Banned
its good for platinum because means more sales, nintendo sometimes cares about second party's well being....... as long as they are from japan, if not they treat you like ...., just ask argonaut and rare :S

nintendo already said yes to P* for W101 maybe they will say yes this time too, nothing wrong with asking
Do you aware about what's the difference between W101 and Astral Chain in Nintendo's eyes?

Blond

Banned
Which means you theoretically should want more games like DMC 5.

I do but you can look at the games and tell they're underfunded. Bayonetta 2 had actual levels then became a boss rush till the end, some levels were literally 5 minutes long before you were at the boss.

Bayonetta 1 had the same problem, not as much but the levels that remade space harrier went on for far too long, a bunch of short boss levels.

I want more games like DMC but if you don't have the budget to see it through why bother?

Aldric

1 million in sales is like a fart in the wind for nintendo. nintendo told them if you wanna do it, we won't fund it, He diffidently made it seem like a possibility.
He "diffidently" said the decision was up to Nintendo and it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to abandon a million seller new Ip because they've done the same with one of their biggest flops this side of Federation Force.

He "diffidently" said the decision was up to Nintendo and it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to abandon a million seller new Ip because they've done the same with one of their biggest flops this side of Federation Force.

why did they allow wonderful 101 are they gonna make money from the ps4 version? or just as a one time exclusive favor?

Do you aware about what's the difference between W101 and Astral Chain in Nintendo's eyes?

I dont have an uncle that works at nintendo to know such thing

all I say is that nintendo agreed with W101 so maybe just maybe they will say yes, its better to ask and be denied to just say nothing and assume a no

EDMIX

Inaba called it an exclusive case.

Ok, then Astral Chain will be the next "exclusive case" too? This is why I don't waste time with believing any timed crap. So if they've made deals before for this type of thing, they very much can continue it. Its why many of us laughed when Rise Of The Tomb Raider was announced as exclusive, I mean....we've been down this road before. Whats next? He going to say he'll cut his head off if it ever comes to another platform?

Ok, then Astral Chain will be the next "exclusive case" too? This is why I don't waste time with believing any timed crap. So if they've made deals before for this type of thing, they very much can continue it. Its why many of us laughed when Rise Of The Tomb Raider was announced as exclusive, I mean....we've been down this road before. Whats next? He going to say he'll cut his head off if it ever comes to another platform?

Anything is possible. infact nintendo would bank if they released there games on ps4/pc/xb1 .unless they are trying to get back in the home console market.

Aldric

Ok, then Astral Chain will be the next "exclusive case" too? This is why I don't waste time with believing any timed crap.
It's not "timed crap". I don't know what's hard to understand here. Nintendo holds the publishing rights for Astral Chain, just like they do for series like Pokemon or Donkey Kong. There's no point to them allowing Platinum to put the game on different systems because Astral Chain selling on Switch brings money to Nintendo unlike TW101 being stuck on Wii U limbo forever. Nintendo use their exclusives to build a library that helps them sell systems and TW101 wasn't part of their plans hence them being charitable towards Platinum.

If you want to play Astral Chain so badly either buy a Switch or wait a few years for Yuzu to emulate the game perfectly.

EDMIX

Anything is possible. infact nintendo would bank if they released there games on ps4/pc/xb1 .unless they are trying to get back in the home console market.

I don't see them looking to put their titles on other platforms and I don't see them seeking to get back into the home console market.

It's not "timed crap".

Ok...suuuuuure. We've heard this before, let me guess when a year passes buy and it comes to PC and PS, a new excuse will emerge? So its hard to REALLY argue this when the other day 2 former exclusives went multiplatform.

Nintendo holds the publishing rights for Astral Chain

Thats nice, and did Nintendo not publish Wonderful 101? So...publishing something doesn't really mean the game won't end up else where. We've heard that song and dance for years at MS and even Nintendo has some titles that fit that. So hard to make that relevant when Wonderful 101 is going multiplatform.

Nintendo use their exclusives to build a library that helps them sell systems and TW101 wasn't part of their plans hence them being charitable towards Platinum.

I've heard nothing from either party to suggest this is happening solely because of that, that is actually something many of you on here have been saying, yet have no real evidence to remotely back up the claim other then wanting some OTHER reason to argue why this is happening, but hey guys please, it will NEVER happen again... So you just don't know that.

If you want to play Astral Chain so badly either buy a Switch or

Nope. I'll wait to see where they put it, seeing how loose their deals are something tells me in a few your you and many on here might be making some brand new excuses for why this title is on some Kickstarter or something.

Mr Hyde Mr Hyde Timed exclusive is a timed exclusive. Doesn't really matter tbh. Both do timed exclusives.

Last edited:

Aldric

Ok...suuuuuure. We've heard this before, let me guess when a year passes buy and it comes to PC and PS, a new excuse will emerge
Don't take this the wrong way but... Are you mentally challenged? Platinum's president flat out told us Nintendo had Astral Chain's publishing rights. Nintendo didn't have Octopath Traveler or Little Town Hero's publishing rights. It's really not that hard. Please put some effort into your posts.

Mr Hyde

Timed exclusive is a timed exclusive. Doesn't really matter tbh. Both do timed exclusives.

Yes, keep moving the goalposts for your arguments sake. Maybe it will help you sleep at night.

I've heard nothing from either party to suggest this is happening solely because of that, that is actually something many of you on here have been saying, yet have no real evidence to remotely back up the claim

Here is a quote from an interview with Platinum boss Atsushi Inaba explaining their good relationship with Nintendo and how they allowed P to use W101 for multiplatform release.

"Platinum has a really good relationship with Nintendo. We’ve been with Nintendo from the very beginning and we’ve released a lot of games with them, including Astral Chain which recently released and was a big success. So I think it’s largely thanks to our relationship with Nintendo that they kind of decided to give us a break. I think it’s our history that it’s largely attributed to. We were quite surprised ourselves. This is usually not something that is allowed in the games industry. We see it as a very unique opportunity that Nintendo has given us and we’re pleased to have it."

Top Bottom