• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play demos of Super Mario 3D Land and more at Best Buy

DarkWish

So you know how Best Buy had a 3DS demo station and they would switch out the game every now and then? Well now they've replaced that with what they're calling "Nintendo 3DS Interactive Game Demos & Trailers". I took a look at it and they have the following demos:

- Pilotwings Resort
- Steel Diver
- Nintendogs+cats
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
- Star Fox 64 3D
- Super Mario 3D Land

You can't download them, they're only playable at the demo station at Best Buy. The Super Mario 3D Land demo was just World 1-1 by the way.

Pretty sweet way of checking out various games. On the menu, it was showing a video displaying the various features of the 3DS. It listed New Releases, Recommended Games, and you could also search for a game. I also liked how once you selected to start a demo, there was a screen telling you about the 3D slider before the demo booted.

Here's a video I recorded at Best Buy showing off the demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5p4YMpf5Rc (check out my skills playing with one hand).

Also note that I couldn't shut down the 3DS so there's no way to do the trick to get to the HOME menu like before. I also tried the Nintendo Zone on my own 3DS but I kept getting errors... from what I saw though, not much new.

donny2112

Nice. On the one-handed 3DLand play, been playing multi-player Four Swords by yourself lately? That'll hone those one-handed playing skills. :lol

DarkWish

donny2112 said:
Nice. On the one-handed 3DLand play, been playing multi-player Four Swords by yourself lately? That'll hone those one-handed playing skills. :lol
Haha thanks! Actually no, haven't played much of Four Swords. I was rather surprised myself with the one-handed skills.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Okay, this bothers me.

Why is it that Nintendo does not offer the option of downloading demos directly to the home console? If they want to increase the attachment ratio, offer playable demos to increase interest in the game.

offtopic but why are people complaining theres no dash in mario 3D land, i see it right there, from lots of previews and etc people have said theres no dash 0_o

ontopic: i'll check it out at my best buy, i want to try star fox 64 3DS :D , since i sold mine before it came out :(

haha smh but Nintendo should really allow people to download demos

DarkWish

Hcoregamer00 said:
Okay, this bothers me.

Why is it that Nintendo does not offer the option of downloading demos directly to the home console? If they want to increase the attachment ratio, offer playable demos to increase interest in the game.
Didn't they say demos by the end of the year? And the November update has unspecified improvements to the eShop... so it's still possible.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Hcoregamer00 said:
Okay, this bothers me.

They said they were planning to have downloadable demos ready by the end of the year. I believe they mentioned it at E3. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be part of the eShop update in November. If not then, it could have been silently delayed.

DarkWish

ArjanN said:
Reminds me of back in the day playing SNES games on demo stations in stores ...to completion.
Unfortunately, these are just short demos. Super Mario 3D Land is just World 1-1 for example.

Platy

So .. how many people playing only the first stage and saying "ok ... didn't needed 3d .... 3D is DOOMED" ?

DarkWish said:
Unfortunately, these are just short demos. Super Mario 3D Land is just World 1-1 for example.

OMFG !
Think of the possibilities !!!!! =O
If they have World 1-8 and then 8-8 .... 64 WORLDS with 8 stages .... 512 stages ! =O
=P

@MUWANdo

Banned
Remember when Nintendo said they were gonna be teaming up with Best Buy (among others) to passively push demos onto you via StreetPass? I wonder if this is the first step (after the November update, at least).

fernoca

Really nice demo, as in the amount of content in that cartridge.

EDIT:
And quite awesome how DarkWish can play the game with one hand, yet one of the biggest complain many have with the game; is the controls. :p

DarkWish is quite good looking too.. <3! ;D

waicol

Banned
DarkWish said:
Didn't feel slow, there is a run button. Just hard to do with one hand so that's why the video seems slow.
Yup, i was just joking due to comments of that kind in other threads. What i saw in your video is that the character and the game itself are by no means slow to 3d mario standards (hell not even for 2d ones) as we can see on 3:49 from the video.

Amazing one handed skills too.

you know watching these videos made me realize that similarly to when playing the 2d marios I can't imagine playing this game without having the running button constantly hold.

zigg

DarkWish said:
Also note that I couldn't shut down the 3DS so there's no way to do the trick to get to the HOME menu like before. I also tried the Nintendo Zone on my own 3DS but I kept getting errors... from what I saw though, not much new.

I've never been able to get NZ to work either at my local store. *shakes fist*

I'll have to stop in soon to check this out. It looks a bit different from the 1-1 I played at E3.

DarkWish

zigg said:
I've never been able to get NZ to work either at my local store. *shakes fist*

I'll have to stop in soon to check this out. It looks a bit different from the 1-1 I played at E3.
I got Nintendo Zone to work back when it first started at Best Buy... but I didn't try it again until today and it wasn't working properly. But from what loaded before I got an error, I didn't see much different from when it first started.

Platy said:
OMFG !
Think of the possibilities !!!!! =O
If they have World 1-8 and then 8-8 .... 64 WORLDS with 8 stages .... 512 stages ! =O
=P
The game refers to it as World 1-1... all Mario games have done it that way, if I recall correctly :)

fernoca said:
And quite awesome how DarkWish can play the game with one hand, yet one of the biggest complain many have with the game; is the controls. :p

DarkWish is quite good looking too.. <3! ;D
Yea, the controls took a bit of getting used to but in a minute I was fine with them, worked well. And uh... thank you I guess? lol

Just played the demo...I've got really mixed feelings about this game.

+Great graphics. It does the Mario Galaxy art-style justice.
+Using the d-pad to select the "type" of 3D is interesting. I think I prefer the top setting that has more "pop" and less "depth".
-The Tanooki Suit has fewer abilities than it did in SMB3. No flying or statue as far as I could tell :(
-The level design. I realize this is probably the first level, so I'm not expecting anything hard or particularly ambitious. Still, half the level was a corridor to the right, the other half was a corridor up. It felt like a dumbed-down Mario Galaxy rather than something fresh. These, dare I say, almost Crash Bandicoot-like levels worry me the most.
-/+The music was just a remix of a classic Mario 3 tune.
?Even with the run button it did seem a little plodding. I wonder if later levels will feel just as fast and frenetic as other Mario games.

Thoraxes

a Master Ninja said:
Just played the demo...I've got really mixed feelings about this game.

+Great graphics. It does the Mario Galaxy art-style justice.
+Using the d-pad to select the "type" of 3D is interesting. I think I prefer the top setting that has more "pop" and less "depth".
-The Tanooki Suit has fewer abilities than it did in SMB3. No flying or statue as far as I could tell :(
-The level design. I realize this is probably the first level, so I'm not expecting anything hard or particularly ambitious. Still, half the level was a corridor to the right, the other half was a corridor up. It felt like a dumbed-down Mario Galaxy rather than something fresh. These, dare I say, almost Crash Bandicoot-like levels worry me the most.
-/+The music was just a remix of a classic Mario 3 tune.
?Even with the run button it did seem a little plodding. I wonder if later levels will feel just as fast and frenetic as other Mario games.
All i'll say, so I don't spoil anything specific, is that all your negatives are addressed and remedied in some shape or form from what we've seen and read in reviews, previews, and interviews from very recently.

Diortem7

I checked out my local Best Buy to play the demo, but it wasn't available. The demo 3DS had the same software that's shown in the video, but this 3DS only had demos for Pilotwings, Nintendogs, Steel Diver, and Street Fighter. :'(

Phenomic

I might want to go check this one out for Mario. Also someone said they had an Uncharted 3 demo on GAF, I believe. Though that does come out in less than 48 hours, so it's a little late to care.

disco

Does anyone know what Japanese retail predictions are for this title? It launches in 3 days! Does anyone know pre-order numbers or retail order numbers? I hope it does well! (I personally think around 300-450k. Sadly not as high as the DS/Wii numbers. :S)

Top Bottom