• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

play every classic Halo on Xbox with a mouse and keyboard

Iced Arcade

keyboard and mouse is a native part of Halo: The Master Chief Collection (including Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, and Halo 4) as of a new April 2021 patch, and it’s not alone: every Xbox that can play the game will let you adjust your field of view, crosshairs, and bind controls across multiple inputs, like any good competitive PC-grade shooter should.

I'm a controller guy...will you switch to use a keyboard and mouse on Xbox?

Last edited:

Banned

keyboard and mouse is a native part of Halo: The Master Chief Collection (including Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, and Halo 4) as of a new April 2021 patch, and it’s not alone: every Xbox that can play the game will let you adjust your field of view, crosshairs, and bind controls across multiple inputs, like any good competitive PC-grade shooter should.

will you switch to use a keyboard and mouse on Xbox?

uhm... you barely see K&M users on PC even... why would anyone do this? I recently tried to get into a match on PC using M&K just to see how it feels, and even tho the game even makes you chose one or the other at startup in order to BIND you to that input method and then match you accordingly (you can't use a controller online if you set it M&K), the lobby was 2 M&K users and 6 controller users. there are just not enough M&K users to match you with them reliably. and the game is always on Steam's top sellers list so a lack of players can't be the reason.

and the people who wanted split matchmaking were the M&K users btw because they were at a massive disadvantage due to the nature on how Halo's aim assist works (Destiny 2 had the same issues when it launched on PC and people started playing on controller in VS multiplayer, because it runs on the Halo Reach engine and therefore has very similar controller assists)

Last edited:

Kalamari

Seems like a poor move, many people enjoy console due to the fact that they don't play against M&K players.

I'm finding myself wanting half an xbox elite 2 controller for my left hand and a mouse for my right. I should look into making that a reality, it's the only way I'd go back to M+K over the sheer comfort and usability of an xbox controller. Skill and competitive output be damned, I'm in it for the fun and whenever I go back to M+K I just hate the left hand keyboard part.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I tried it. I played about the same overall. I'm sort of torn between the two. Halo feels good on a controller but there is a sense of agency that is pretty immersive with a mouse & keyboard - am I imagining that?

BouncyFrag

8-E2-DA9-C6-61-F6-4-BBD-A4-FD-D10380-CF27-EA.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
More access Is great. Let people play how they want.

go watch pro pad players vs mouse and keyboard, they can still hang.

Starfield

uhm... you barely see K&M users on PC even... why would anyone do this? I recently tried to get into a match on PC using M&K just to see how it feels, and even tho the game even makes you chose one or the other at startup in order to BIND you to that input method and then match you accordingly (you can't use a controller online if you set it M&K), the lobby was 2 M&K users and 6 controller users. there are just not enough M&K users to match you with them reliably. and the game is always on Steam's top sellers list so a lack of players can't be the reason.

and the people who wanted split matchmaking were the M&K users btw because they were at a massive disadvantage due to the nature on how Halo's aim assist works (Destiny 2 had the same issues when it launched on PC and people started playing on controller in VS multiplayer, because it runs on the Halo Reach engine and therefore has very similar controller assists)
what in the fuck am I reading

Banned
what in the fuck am I reading

you're reading an explanation why using M&K is stupid in Halo and why noone does it.
you are at a huge disadvantage, the game tries to only match you with the dame input method but can't because almost noone uses M&K and not even PC players use it so why would it be used on Console?

Banned
fuck this shit, I play on consoles to avoid obese 5xl pale keyboard hippies.

keyboard players will get destroyed in Halo. there is a reason every PC player was mad at controller players when MCC first launched on PC.

Halo is designed with a very aggressive aim assist system in place, once you take that away you are bound to get royally fucked, even the speed and precision of a mouse can't save you.

they tried implementing a system that matches you with the same input method online. when you start the game now you have to chose between mouse and keyboard or Controller and the game locks you out of switching to the other method during that session. but even with this in place if you use mouse and keyboard you will never find a full lobby of M&K users since even on PC the vast majority of players play on controller due to the massive advantage you get by doing so.

Last edited:

Starfield

you're reading an explanation why using M&K is stupid in Halo and why noone does it.
you are at a huge disadvantage, the game tries to only match you with the dame input method but can't because almost noone uses M&K and not even PC players use it so why would it be used on Console?
You're so wrong on so many levels. Noone besides people who have no clue use a controller on PC. K&M players trash over controller players SO MUCH

mouse aim > aim assist

I know that this doesn't count for regular players but every average fps player on PC will trash a controller person all day. Pro level is another discussion.

Last edited:

Controller is actually better still thanks to auto aim. You'll get fucked trying to use an AR with M&K. Big reason why no body is using it even on PC.

JimboJones

Controller is actually better still thanks to auto aim. You'll get fucked trying to use an AR with M&K. Big reason why no body is using it even on PC.
You're gonna get fucked if you use a AR to begin with.
I haven't played a slayer match with mouse and keyboard players dominating heavily, though not loading heavily either. Maybe they might have an advantage in swat or snipers 🤔, haven't tried though I generally avoid those modes.

Blond

Banned
Keep your WASADA out of my console games
What’s wrong with options? There’s a few games I can tell you would benefit from the use of a KB/M (Days Gone for instance) because of a ton of options they try to awkwardly map to a controller. This is a bad opinion like people saying games should only be 30 or 60 FPS, use of gyro or motion controls it’s an option, no ones forcing you it’s not fair to say “You can’t have an option because I don’t like it!”

You're gonna get fucked if you use a AR to begin with.
I haven't played a slayer match with mouse and keyboard players dominating heavily, though not loading heavily either. Maybe they might have an advantage in swat or snipers 🤔, haven't tried though I generally avoid those modes.
Well when its better to switch to and finish off rather than reload.

Last edited:

PooBone

Gamepad is the way for me, but this is awesome, and overdue.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Can anyone recommend Xbox games that are better & playable with mouse and keyboard?
Like, I'm betting Metro series is one, as they've always had sluggish console controls and a weird deadzone.

Banned
Can anyone recommend Xbox games that are better & playable with mouse and keyboard?
Like, I'm betting Metro series is one, as they've always had sluggish console controls and a weird deadzone.

well since there are still developers who are too dumb to do controller aiming correctly, sadly there are many.
then add games that run at have a broken/shitty vsync that introduces a shitload of input lag and you got yourself a ton of games that play way better on PC with Mouse and Keyboard.

Mouse and Keyboard doesn't always help on console either even it if is supported. for example, Sea of Thieves on Xbox One/One X has disguting input lag that doesn't go away by plugging in a Mouse, it still feels like ass to play. they tried to make it less bad over time, but it is still very noticable even tho it isn't as bad anymore as it was on launch.

And as of now, not that many Xbox games actually have mouse and keyboard support. those that have usually ALL play better with it (except Halo, although technically it does play/feel better but you are at a disadvantage in MP as I mentioned before in this thread)

Warframe play better with it, although Warframe has basically the gold standard when it comes to controller third person shooter controls... that controller aiming is so fucking on point that I had no issue headshot quick-scoping with my Sniper while flying across the stage WITH AIM ASSIST OFF!

Gears of War 5 plays WAY better with Mouse and Keyboard, but that too has input lag on console, way less on Series X and S compared to the Xbox One systems, but it is still bad... so for the best experience here PC is the way to go.

CoD plays marginally better with it. but here you also can have some advantages on Controller, but also some disadvantages. It depends on your playstyle and weapon choise

of course every RTS and stuff like Cities Skylines will play way better with it, but these are the most obvious genres of games

Banned
You're so wrong on so many levels. Noone besides people who have no clue use a controller on PC. K&M players trash over controller players SO MUCH

mouse aim > aim assist

I know that this doesn't count for regular players but every average fps player on PC will trash a controller person all day. Pro level is another discussion.

have you ever played Halo? HALO is not like any other FPS (except Destiny 2 I guess). saying a mouse player would shit all over a controller player in Halo demonstrates only 1 thing, ignorance towards the topic.

Halo gives controller players such a huge advantage it's not even close. again, the people who wanted split matchmaking that keeps Mouse players and Controller players separate were the MOUSE PLAYERS not the controller players. and the reason why is because they literally could not play properly because controller players shit all over them.
I play MCC regularly and every time 1 team is in the unfortunate position to have 2 or more M&K players on their side, they lose... there is no challenge. A mouse player will get shit on in Halo. the Aim assist in Halo is so aggressive it literally plays completely different from any other shooter out there (except Destiny... because, that's literally running on the same engine and uses almost the same aiming mechanics)

just as an example, I'll post a screenshot to explain how it works (I didn't have someone to demonstrate it with so this rock has to do)
haloexampleifj32.png

in this screenshot you can clearly see how I aim above the rock. let's imagine this is an enemy player for a moment.
if this was an enemy player, I would now have a so called "red reticle" because the outer edge of my crosshairs/reticle touches the tip of the rock, which would of course be the enemy's head. Red Reticle in Halo is a mechanic that is not only intrinsic to the way you aim on Controller but also to the balancing of weapons on controller.

as soon as you are in red reticle distance (as in you are close enough for the weapon you use and you have your reticle close enough on your enemy's hitbox) the game not only has extreme aim assist but also extreme amounts of Bullet Magnetism. Bullet Magnetism is when the bullets literally bend their flight path to lock onto your enemy's hitbox.

if that tip of that rock in the image was the tip of the head of an enemy player, on a controller I would easily headshot him by aiming exactly like I do here. on a mouse on the other hand, I would need to literally aim the exact center of my reticle onto the enemy's head in order to register a hit.

this gets really bad in motion when the extremely strong aim assist basically soft-locks to your enemy AND the bullet magnetism does bend the trajectory of your bullets ontop of that. so not only does the game help you aim to a ridiculous amount, it also lets you hit your target even tho you aim above or to the side of it to a degree where your reticle's outer edge barely touches the player's hitbox.

anyone who says Mouse and Keyboard players have an advantage in Halo over controller players is talking out of their ass, sorry. you are the one who has no clue. When MCC first launched on PC there was a shitstorm because of how broken Controller vs Mouse was, and still is,.like I said, if the other team has more mouse and keyboard players than yours you are bound to win the match. and there aren't enough Mouse and Keyboard players to begin with so mouse and keyboard players will always end up in lobbies dominated by controller players even after they specifically introduced a mechanic to lock you to a certain input method and attempt to match you with it.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
"like any good competitive PC-grade shooter should"

Any good competitive PC-grade shooter should have zero aim assists. Yet Halo does not let me disable all of them. 🤮

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
fuck this shit, I play on consoles to avoid obese 5xl pale keyboard hippies.

mouse aim > aim assist

Boot up MCC and check if your mouse advantage matters to Halos aim assist, unless its a sniper battle the average controller player will do better than the average mouse player.

Top Bottom