• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Magazine details on Drive Club (some new info + Q/A)

MOD REQUEST: Please edit title to say "Play Magazine"

• Tries to showcase many PS4 features and strengths
  • Not about smashing others off the road, but not exactly a sim either
  • lighting and reflections off of car are "spectacular"
  • Heavy social integration
  • Emphasis on team helps bring accessibility as opposed to outright competition for top spot

Q&A with Matt Southern, Col Rodgers, and technical director Scott Kirkland
  • They talk about their roots as a sim developer with WRC and Eurofighter Typhoon
  • Evolutions first involvement with the PS4 started in 2008
  • Dualshock 4 started development in 2010
  • High speed in DS4 gyros allow extremely accurate steering in racing games
  • Photorealism is a huge goal for Drive Club
  • Massive amounts of particles, realistic atmospheric effects, high attention to detail
  • Focus on owning and being a part of a racing team, owning very valuable carst
  • "Powerful low level access" of GPU
  • Material based lighting engine
  • "Flecked" metallic paint.
  • Woven carbon fiber, as opposed to just a texture.
  • "...diverse array of rich environments"
  • Detailed driving surfaces
  • Environment examples: roadside grass, scrub, memorable landmarks, stunning skies, staggering vistas
  • Extensive driver animation
  • Fully dynamic lighting for time of day effects
  • Streaming and spectating is in
  • Regarding DS4 again stiffer trigger springs smaller deadzones
  • Improved rumble
  • Touchpad used for navigating UI easily
  • Evolution Studios compared PD to a 106-piece orchestra while and themselves to a rockband. Dedicated to uniting people in bringing speed on "roads in the real world."
  • When asked about Forza and other MS franchises, they repond "If we aren't first or best, we aren't happy."
  • Sights of inspiration come from movies like Senna and Drive

Club if old.

looks like Drive Club might be a big thing for Sony at E3. hopefully the whole social thing pans out and works flawlessly when release though.

Globox_82

Banned
So it's a Sony racer? You smash at 150mph and nothing happens to your car...but lighting is "spectacular"....who gives a shit!

Trevelyan

Banned
The more I hear about DC, the more it becomes my most anticipated PS4 title, even ahead of Second Son. Thanks for the info, sounds great.

jett

D-Member
Sounds good. They're winning me over with the sources of their inspiration. The Senna documentary was staggeringly good.

Anyway, I really wish this was 60fps. I imagine they would've made a point to mention it if it was.

So it's a Sony racer? You smash at 150mph and nothing happens to your car...but lighting is "spectacular"....who gives a shit!

iYrqk0ehz965c.gif

Focus on owning and being a part of a racing team, owning very valuable carst

i would also like some carst please, it sounds like a dessert named after a totaled sports car with lots of crunchy parts..yum i sure like metal pieces in my ice cream

Afrikan

I'm LOVING what I'm reading...

Photorealism is a huge goal for Drive Club
Massive amounts of particles, realistic atmospheric effects, high attention to detail
"Powerful low level access" of GPU

I'm all about Photorealism. :D and yes please show this powerful low level access!

can't wait to see their latest footage, I'm sure its going to look MUCH better than what they have shown so far. Yall remember how after ever Motorstorm gets announced, some complained about how it looks and toward the end it comes out more amazing. (Besides the first CGI one..lol) I'm expecting the same again.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I don't what it means but me personally I have no interest in racing games but every time I read a new piece of information on this game, a really big smile creeps across my face. Maybe it's the passion and sense of respectful competition that's being exuded by Evolution Studios but I really want to support them and hope they are successful in their endeavor to make DC as iconic and respected as GT. I likely buy this at launch considering I enjoyed the MS games but never got around to purchasing them (yet).

Definitely interested. Might be too many good games at launch for my wallet though. Haha, it's not confirmed for launch day though, I think.

I hope that when cars kick up dust in next-gen games, they kick up tons of it. Played Forza 4 yesterday and it was pitiful how much smoke appears when a car is drifting.

Looking forward to Drive Club...I guess this is Sony's PGR game.

So if they want to be the best and better than Forza will it feature a livery editor?

Does the article mention ANYTHING about customizing our cars?

Don't get me wrong, I think DC looks incredible and planning on buying day 1 but still. There's not one Sony racer that features a livery editor like Forza. I think the closest was modnation racers lol.

The only thing that worries me is how Evolution is enamoured with shitty ruberband AI... :/
And 30 fps.

Everything else seems ace.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Evolution Studios compared PD to a 106-piece orchestra while and themselves to a rockband.

Damn, I love their humbleness.

The only thing that worries me is how Evolution is enamoured with shitty ruberband AI... :/
And 30 fps.

Everything else seems ace.
Totally agree with the rubber banding. But hopefully their AI is much improved considering the talent they've picked up recently.

wapplew

Im happy to hear they started development so early, which means its not a rush project.
Hopefully become THE graphical showcase software that everyone buy at launch.

Top Bottom