• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

zroid

Banned
Hype for Best Buy! I waited in line for 3 f'ing hours last year to play Mario 3D World for like 3 minutes, but I'll do it again for Smash Bros. lol

Albo

Lol, wacky as hell but I loved it.

Reggie Fils-Aimech

I was expecting no conf, but they seen to be doing extensive coverage of E3. We don't know exactly what the digital event entails but if it's different to a usual direct I'm excited.

edit: Lol at NOA's twitter

I wasn't hyped for E3 period not just Nintendo, but now Damn hype
So close yet far away

No conference is sad though no audience reaction, Megaman reveal last year would've been awesome.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Obvious but still smart move focusing on Smash to this extent. Nintendo has a lot of serious issues, but marketing is something they can control and do much much better on.

Foshy

I thought the Tomodachi Direct was kinda funny but this is just trying too hard :/ gotta get that smosh fanbase hyped I guess.

Still, interested in what they're going to show at E3. Getting MK8 and Smash for sure this year anyway.

iuNdspnKufhgm.gif

Kouichi

Great, now I am mad hyped for E3. Dammit, this usually doesn't happen until a few days before.

I really up one of the three Best Buys close to my house has Smash.

Timan

Developer
Was hilarious seeing Nintendo's twitter go crazy. Thought they were hacked or something, don't usually see caps used + 50 tweets in a min time.

Effect

The Digital Event sounds like a Direct-like livestream, but with more showmanship than just Iwata standing in front of a white background. I'm okay with that.

That's the impression I got as well. Especially with how they announced things with this new video. Also look at what Sakurai did with the Smash Bros Wii U/3DS Direct and Bill Trinen with the Tomodachi Life Direct. Those should give us clues as to how the E3 presentation should go.

The biggest concern is the quality of the stream. If they have to stream it live then they need to make sure Ustream does a better job. They were horrible last year. They've been using YouTube but that's going to be hammered this E3, same with Twitch. They need to have copies of the presentation already uploaded and copies sent to various gaming outlets so they have local copies on hand to play at the given time.

Treehouse Live event seems like Nintendo is doing themselves what Spike/GameTrailers would do in the past. They did similar things last E3 and the E3 before that I think on Nintendo.com. Those weren't live though but videos loaded up later in the day.

Lunar15

That was cornball as all hell, but I'll take it.

As for the "digital event", I just hope they can get their streaming under control. Otherwise, I still contend that having an actual conference isn't a huge deal. However, I hope they don't do the weird press event they did last year, most journalists really hated that.

ultron87

Here's hoping that Smash at Best Buy (which I'm quite excited about) somehow transitions into a demo also getting released.

No Press Conference is a huge bummer, as I fear for the quality of the stream and the way it's gonna be presented. Also, in before Kotaku mistakes no press conference to mean no news at all during E3 week, like last year. The smash things are cool though.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I have no clue why, but that was awesome. For some weird reason I only see Nintendo pulling this crazy stuff off, everyone else just comes across as cheesey.

That video was freaking amazing, I'm a little bummed that they're not a having a live conference but I don't mind as long as they have some great announcements lined up. (Fingers crossed for an update on the new Zelda and possibly a new console announcement!!!)

That video was freaking amazing, I'm a little bummed that they're not a having a live conference but I don't mind as long as they have some great announcements lined up. (Fingers crossed for an update on the new Zelda and possibly a new console announcement!!!)

F-Zero, Star Fox and Metroid

Yes I dream

Atlas157

Yeah I don't think that's happening... if they do announce a new system that'll just piss off the current Wii U owners and confuse people even more.

catmario

Mega 64... Good.
Smash Bros invitational and fest... Good.
Nintendo Treehouse... Good.
Nintendo Digital Event...? What the heck?!

No conference for E3 2014? Again? Not good. :(

Please don't take the time only 30 minutes like last year again.

Fingers crossed? We're guaranteed to get an update on the new Zelda.

It's confirmed.

Sadist

Ooooh, they're the first to announce their plans? Hmmm.

Btw, Mega64 doing this video isn't that strange really. Do you guys remember the embarassing Mega64 interview last year at Gametrailers last year during E3? Those guys were really hyped for Donkey Kong CTF and X, and Keighly was desperately trying to steer the conversation away from Wii U. "But guys, how about that Xbone and PS4"?

Mega64: "Oh man, DKC TF sounds like a delicious drink I want to try out".

Guess Nintendo noticed that particular interview, heh.

Taker666

The Nintendo TREEHOUSE LIVE@E3 stuff looks like it could be great.

A constant LIVE stream of demos for the entirety of E3.

Foshy

in the source code of their e3 site:

Means absolutely nothing of course, but I thought I'd post it regardless. I'm pretty sure they're going to reveal their new handheld this year and E3 seems like a good venue to do so, but it'll probably be later.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So, they clearly state: "New Games and Announcements".
So, announcements is not related to new games. Could it be just a generic word for "dates, contents, modes, and so on"? Or are they hinting at something HW-related or business-related?

EDIT: and here we are:

Means absolutely nothing of course, but I thought I'd post it regardless. I'm pretty sure they're going to reveal their new handheld this year and E3 seems like a good venue to do so, but it'll probably be later.

Don't firget the QOL new hw, probably debuting in 2015 (their statements about it said so).

That would be unfortunate to me, cause from what I've heard I'm not interested in it. I'd prefer them to focus on "classic" videogames business at E3.

That music near the end was just perfect.

Also kind of funny because I love to joke about infiltrating Nintendo.

Anyway, um, the announcements... A tiny bit surprised about the no press conference, but it doesn't really matter for me since I'll be watching from my PC anyway.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL...even they realize Urban Champion is terrible.

catmario

lol!! secret confirmed!!

It's way too early for a new handheld... You don't shoot the horse as it's hitting it's stride. Remember, the point of keywords is to drive traffic, nothing more.

mclem

Hmm, I wonder if there's any difference between a Nintendo Direct and this Nintendo Digital Event thing?

"A New Kind of Video Program" ?

I'm guessing it's a direct, but they're calling it something else to make it sound a bit more monumentous, exclusive or something.

My gut feeling - and it's a pure gut thing - is that it'll actually have slightly bigger staging than a Direct. Less Iwata talking at a camera, and more of a 'hosted show' - without actually *being* a big hosted show.

If that keyword is true, it's wierd that they'll reveal it without a press conference. Unless that refers to Wii U....

Top Bottom