• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

god the trash around. Iwata is beholden to shareholders, if they want him gone he is going. the approval rating thing is due soon.

There aren't enough shares to out Iwata in public hands. Simple as that.
The only way he can be removed is by the Board of Directors. And they're all long time friends of Iwata's. It's not happening.

A CEO who's at risk of being ousted, who staunchly continues course despite rising disapproval from shareholders, who has clearly been ensuring the board of directors becomes less and less independent of him, doing all he can to stay in his position? There are enough clues in Iwata's actions to raise the suspicion that he is effectively ensuring there are no clear choices within Nintendo to replace him.

I would venture a bet that there are plenty of people following Nintendo's stock professionally who think the same. Anyway, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary at all, it happens very often, whether it's Nintendo or Goldman Sachs.

That being said, it is speculation at this point, though nothing tinfoil-hatish are you're making it sound.

Your entire argument falls apart in the first few words. Iwata isn't at risk of being ousted. Not even close. There is basically no way, except (literally) violent revolution within Nintendo that Iwata is in danger of losing anything.
That isn't how things work in Nintendo. The board are all friends of his. He won't step down until he decides to.

Did I seriously just read that Iwata is at risk of being ousted?

Do people legitimately, honestly believe this?

Iwata election rates:

Iwata, 2010:
Approve: 952,201
Oppose: 19,072
Approval Rating: 96.74%

Iwata, 2011:
Approve: 932,379
Oppose: 48,339
Approval Rating: 92.89%

Iwata, 2012:
Approve: 913,453
Oppose: 83,740
Approval Rating: 90.60%

Iwata, 2013:
Approve: 772,384
Oppose: 218,960
Approval Rating: 77.26%

If it doesn't hit majority approval, Iwata doesn't get re-elected to the Board of Directors. I do believe that non-Nintendo-employee investors, if acting together, have a sufficient potential to block Iwata's re-election to the Board of Directors, supposing the institutional investors who are primarily into it for the dividends no longer believe in Iwata's ability to reward shareholders. Personally I'm not optimistic that Iwata will be ousted in this way in June 2014. But the possibility exists.

But yes, only the Board of Directors has the power to remove Iwata from the CEO position. It's very clear that Iwata has stacked the Board with his friends and a bunch of yes-men, so yeah, it's quite unlikely for Iwata to be forcibly pushed out of office by June.

Now if the votes of the other Board members run contrary to the desires of shareholders...

Draconian

They should bring back the developer directs they did last year too. It was nice hearing from Aonuma, Sakurai, and Koizumi, who are not heard from as much as I think they should be (at least in video form).

Rajack

iq4h1Jk8eVfi.jpg

Man I wish someone would make a gif with the girl in the meeting talking to Reggie about future plans and when Reggie mentions E3 she says " I thought you weren't going to E3 this year?" Then he blasts her with the laser eyes.

Sorry, closest I could get, gifcam kept on messing up during the inside mech parts

iIqZhSqMq5TpI.gif

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm not doubting character reveals, but that is just alluding to the fact that players have never played with new characters (such as Rosalina) before, and that at this event, they would be able to do so while fighting against returning characters as well.

You're looking for details where they aren't.

iba1d7TqBMC9XJ.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
...yeah the amount of drive-by posts and ignoring posts makes me think of avoiding this thread.

I mean seriously, "Nintendo reinventing the wheel"? What the fuck is this line of thought?

Hype from who exactly though, current Wii U owners and Nintendo fans? Exactly. The people in this thread who are claiming they are fine just getting the game info from Nintendo Directs like they have been, because they already own their Wii U's and are just salivating looking for their next game. Nintendo needs to increase their install base and what many people in this thread aren't able to do is put themselves in the shoes of an average joe who is not a Nintendo fan, who doesn't already own a Wii U. Those are the people Nintendo severely need to get hyped about their product.

Eh not really. You'd be surprised how people watch stuff they have nothing on stake about, just because it is a show that can deliver (or not). And again, putting it as a live show won't change the fact that it won't reach the average joe until the press puts it up in news, which they will do so even in digital format.

Draconian

Oh man. I didn't know the Treehouse stuff was a livestream. During all hours of the show? Well, I'm in! The only platforms I game on atm are the 3DS and Wii U, so I can catch up on games for the other systems later.

Lumyst

They should bring back the developer directs they did last year too. It was nice hearing from Aonuma, Sakurai, and Koizumi, who are not heard from as much as I think they should be (at least in video form).

I loved those too! I'd like if they'd have "Mr. Tetsuya Takahashi" talk about his game rather than relay info through Iwata. Iwata's mentioned "Mr. Tetsuya Takahashi and his team at Monolithsoft" enough in Nintendo directs that I hope other Nintendo fans like me who hadn't heard of them before until hearing about Xenoblade are able to give them and their games some consideration and perhaps start to know they are as much a part of Nintendo as Retro or EAD are.

AniHawk

so a couple things.

last year nintendo was in actual panic mode. price drop on wii u, crazy-good bundles, announcing a bunch of games that were 18-24+ months away (they haven't done this in ages). now they've sort of settled into the mess they've made for themselves.

that hurt the direct at e3 last year. imagine the reaction had the first mention of games like x, tww hd, mario 3d world, mario kart 8, a link between worlds, and the yoshi games happened during that direct?

well, a year later and there's no saving the wii u. it's pretty clear. i speculated that this would be a sort of rebuilding generation for nintendo. they squandered the opportunity to build during the wii era and prepare themselves for this gen, and didn't understand their own success. so they have to find out how to endear themselves to people now, sort of like how sony did during the ps3 era and how microsoft is as of late. if it means holding back on announcements and reveals, that's probably what it means. the drip feed of info from january through june was pretty good, but it left some wanting more when it mattered most.

so i'm expecting a couple actual 'surprise' announcements (mostly stuff we could guess like majora's mask 3d and/or a new paper mario), along with some good real info on games we haven't actually seen (including x and yarn yoshi, which we've literally seen, but don't know very much about). i'm also expecting the presentation not to be iwata in a white void talking about things. the indication from the name of the event and the past few nintendo directs is that they are putting more into the presentation effort this time.

onilink88

I liked it but the new console speculation was a bit too much

Nintendo having a new home console hardware this soon eh no not even with the Wii U bombas

Researchers, developers, testers, and the rest of those so-and-sos and the years of work they put in to bringing a console to fruition are an anachronism. In the modern era, you can whip out new hardware willy-nilly.

Get with the times, you fogey.

Riki

so a couple things.

last year nintendo was in actual panic mode. price drop on wii u, crazy-good bundles, announcing a bunch of games that were 18-24+ months away (they haven't done this in ages). now they've sort of settled into the mess they've made for themselves.

that hurt the direct at e3 last year. imagine the reaction had the first mention of games like x, tww hd, mario 3d world, mario kart 8, a link between worlds, and the yoshi games happened during that direct?

well, a year later and there's no saving the wii u. it's pretty clear. i speculated that this would be a sort of rebuilding generation for nintendo. they squandered the opportunity to build during the wii era and prepare themselves for this gen, and didn't understand their own success. so they have to find out how to endear themselves to people now, sort of like how sony did during the ps3 era and how microsoft is as of late. if it means holding back on announcements and reveals, that's probably what it means. the drip feed of info from january through june was pretty good, but it left some wanting more when it mattered most.

so i'm expecting a couple actual 'surprise' announcements (mostly stuff we could guess like majora's mask 3d and/or a new paper mario), along with some good real info on games we haven't actually seen (including x and yarn yoshi, which we've literally seen, but don't know very much about). i'm also expecting the presentation not to be iwata in a white void talking about things. the indication from the name of the event and the past few nintendo directs is that they are putting more into the presentation effort this time.
Yeah there are games we have basically heard from in a while or seen nothing of yet.
SMTxFE, Hyrule Warriors, Yarn Yoshi, Sonic Boom, Fatal Frame.

This should be a good E3 with good content, honestly. They've been holding back a lot more this year than last.

Lingitiz

As much as I dislike Nintendo not having a stage presence, their games have never really suited themselves to live stage E3 demos. They usually get more specific than any other developer does when debuting new games. They talk more about game mechanics than broad overarching story themes, which is better shown in a edited video piece rather than a curated, live stage demo.

GamerJM

Banned
so a couple things.

Yeah this was definitely something else that popped into my mind. As much as I personally would like Nintendo to do an on-stage conference it might not make sense if they're holding back on announcements since they're going to have to wait things out until they release new hardware in a couple years or so.

Draconian

I loved those too! I'd like if they'd have "Mr. Tetsuya Takahashi" talk about his game rather than relay info through Iwata. Iwata's mentioned "Mr. Tetsuya Takahashi and his team at Monolithsoft" enough in Nintendo directs that I hope other Nintendo fans like me who hadn't heard of them before until hearing about Xenoblade are able to give them and their games some consideration and perhaps start to know they are as much a part of Nintendo as Retro or EAD are.

This reminds me to read that Iwata Asks with Takahashi and Sakaguchi talking about the early days at Square. I think I was linked to it from here a couple of months ago and meant to read it, but never got around to it. I'd love them to have Takahashi at E3 too.

Again, no presser. My dad once had a motto. It was "If you want to shit with the big dogs, don't piss like a puppy."

Nintendo is giving us fucking sprinkles from a chihuahua.

chadboban

Yeah there are games we have basically heard from in a while or seen nothing of yet.
SMTxFE, Hyrule Warriors, Yarn Yoshi, Sonic Boom, Fatal Frame.

This should be a good E3 with good content, honestly. They've been holding back a lot more this year than last.

This, they haven't made any huge announcements for the year as yet in terms of Wii U. All we've gotten were new looks at MK8,X and Bayo 2. What I'm hoping is that they realized they announced too many things before E3 last year so the Direct lacked any huge surprises. Hope that this time they're saving the new stuff for E3.

I'm really hoping for a full reveal for X. It's been over a year, it's time for the game I've been swooning over to finally get an official title.

one_kill

Again, no presser. My dad once had a motto. It was "If you want to shit with the big dogs, don't piss like a puppy."

Nintendo is giving us fucking sprinkles from a chihuahua.
Well, the vice versa can also be applied for viewers.

If you want to have a full E3 experience, attend the events. Most of us just watch them online so I'm guessing we're puppies compared to those who actually attend E3.

At least puppies are cute.

antonz

John Harker really nailed it a few pages back. This is all about the bad blood that the Press and Nintendo allowed to fester.

Nintendo certainly could have been more open to the press over the years but the Press has consistently been down on Nintendo and generally negative even when good things happening.

Why should Nintendo cater to a group that is more than likely going to shit on what they do even if what they do is great for gamers.

It seems to me Nintendo is going out of its way to be more open than ever to the gamer themselves. I mean constant access to treehouse developer stuff etc. all through E3. Its not just about a few lucky press getting behind door meetings and then bragging about what they saw. Everyone who wants to see it gets too now.

Top Bottom