• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Street Fighter V for FREE from Dec. 11-18 on PS4 and Steam!

AlexxKidd

d205b3f1d67848b3067609d8962bd8e2.jpg

Free-to-play Street Fighter V? It's coming, and it's coming soon.

Don't worry about being humbled. All players start at "rookie" level so you will play similarly skilled competitors unless you decide to rank up.

We’re hosting a free trial, which will begin on December 11 at 1pm PT (download begins at 9am PT) and will end on December 19 at 9:59am PT. For the trial on PlayStation 4, PlayStation Plus subscription is not required to download and take part, but is required to play online. For PC users, the Steam client is required to take part in the trial. All the initial content from the original Street Fighter V and the modes introduced in Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition are included for free during this time.

16 Characters – All 16 original characters are included in this free trial, including the legendary Ryu, Chun-Li, Ken, and M. Bison! This is also your chance to try out characters who are new to Street Fighter V like the electrifying Laura, nimble Rashid, and tricky F.A.N.G. As a bonus, three fan-favorite DLC characters will be available for free during this trial: Guile, Akuma, and Sagat! These three characters are only available in Ranked, Casual, Battle Lounge, Training, and Challenges.

Also, sponsored content is here for those looking to pad their fight money stash.

Sponsored Content will be introduced into Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition on December 11. Sponsored content will be displayed in several locations in-game to remind you about costumes, bundles, and the Capcom Pro Tour. When Sponsored Content is enabled, players can obtain additional Fight Money in Ranked and Casual Matches - these bonuses come with an upper limit.

Not a fan of sponsored content? Capcom allows you to cut it off, and gives several options for it.

If you’d rather not see Sponsored Content, you can easily turn this feature off by going into Battle Settings, which will give you the following options:

• Sponsored Content Settings – Here, you can adjust the sponsored content settings. Turn sponsored content on to receive bonus Fight Money in Ranked and Casual Matches.
  • Sponsor Display – Turning the setting on allows you to access sponsored content such as Ad Style costumes.
  • Loading & Stage Ads – Selecting “on” gives you access to Stage and Loading Ads.

Not everyone is up to the challenge, but don't be discouraged. And remember, you must defeat Shen Long to stand a chance.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Finally... it should be F2P since beginning.

Edit - Ohhhh it is just few days... shame... forget what I said lol

Last edited:

Iaterain

Most of the content of this game is locked behind expensive microtransactions and grinding in game currency is equal to full time job in order to buy a single character or costume.
Let it die. Don't support it and maybe Street Fighter VI will be better and more rewarding game.

Last edited:
Testing the waters to see if they can get some bites. Capcom needs to get those sales, they were expecting 2 million in 2016 not in 2018.

If it works out, new f2P SFV with mircotransactions. Give Ryu a hat for $10.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
34 available characters ain't bad. I'm still waiting on the "All Stuff In One Version" Edition at the end of the generation before I upgrade my digital copy to physical.

TacosNSalsa

Lol..I see sooooo many smurf accounts coming..

*Don't worry about being humbled. All players start at "rookie" level so you will play similarly skilled competitors unless you decide to rank up.

AlexxKidd

Lol..I see sooooo many smurf accounts coming..

*Don't worry about being humbled. All players start at "rookie" level so you will play similarly skilled competitors unless you decide to rank up.

They are definitely out there, including Nuckledu who stands at "rookie" rank right now. I don't think he plays ranked though so they won't have to worry about him. Smurfs just discourage people from getting into the game. Most people can take an even loss and be like, OK I see where I can improve and maybe stick with it. But if you got some smurf out there waxing newcomers with Abigail they may assume he's a newcomer as well and think their skill is so far behind it's not worth keeping at it.

kunonabi

Just what SFV needed, ads. Wouldnt surprise me if FM starts getting reduced to try and get people to keep that disgusting garbage activated.

Nymphae

Banned
Let it die. Don't support it and maybe Street Fighter VI will be better and more rewarding game.

Who needs the fucking DLC? I've had the game for over a year and rather enjoy, you know...the gameplay. I can understand if you main a DLC character, sure, get the DLC. But the game is plenty rewarding without having to provide me with a virtual wardrobe and dumb trinkets.

So, Street Fighter 6 is going to be interesting if it's a thing because V is supposed to be the last link before 3 and 3 is the end of the timeline for half the characters.

Then again, they could just make New Generation canon and make 2nd impact and third-strike non canon so they can start 3 over fresh. Since New Generation was retconned by the other 2.

So, Street Fighter 6 is going to be interesting if it's a thing because V is supposed to be the last link before 3 and 3 is the end of the timeline for half the characters.

Then again, they could just make New Generation canon and make 2nd impact and third-strike non canon so they can start 3 over fresh. Since New Generation was retconned by the other 2.
Steet Fighter 6 should just be 3rd Strike 2

Nymphae

Banned
Steet Fighter 6 should just be 3rd Strike 2

I don't even see what the problem is, did 3 kill off the characters or just not use them? Why can't they have a sequel to 3 that has most of the cast from 2 & 3? I think I heard Dhalsim was dead in 3, but fuck him no one likes using him anyway :messenger_winking:

I don't even see what the problem is, did 3 kill off the characters or just not use them? Why can't they have a sequel to 3 that has most of the cast from 2 & 3? I think I heard Dhalsim was dead in 3, but fuck him no one likes using him anyway :messenger_winking:

Because a few characters were dead and a few characters were retired which would throw fan favorites out.

The bigger issue though is New Generation isn't canon. Capcom retconned New Generation with 2nd impact and third strike is a sequel to that.

The less controversial way to do this, character roster wise, would be to make New Generation canon instead of the other two, and they can have new reasons for characters being where they are.

Plus Bison is dead, and Gill was killed in third-strike leaving no real enemy and it's clear based on V they want to try to expand Gill again.

Nah, no one is dead except for Bison(For now), Gen and seemingly Necali. Any SF character can come back for any reason though. There's nothing stopping them from adding whomever they want to SF6 unless they do some crazy far time jump, which they won't.

AlexxKidd

Charlie Nash was killed pre-SF2 and he's a playable character in this game. A zombie, but playable. I wouldn't worry much about the timeline.

Nah, no one is dead except for Bison(For now), Gen and seemingly Necali. Any SF character can come back for any reason though. There's nothing stopping them from adding whomever they want to SF6 unless they do some crazy far time jump, which they won't.

You're talking about SFV not post third strike, people died in that period or retired. Just make New Generation canon and remove 2nd impact and TS from the canon. (Not to mention making 3S canon removes Gill from the series, and V was clearly teasing Gill.)

You're talking about SFV not post third strike, people died in that period or retired. Just make New Generation canon and remove 2nd impact and TS from the canon. (Not to mention making 3S canon removes Gill from the series, and V was clearly teasing Gill.)

Yeah but even having all those characters missing from SF3 doesn't mean they can't come back for 6. Most of the Alpha cast sat out SF2 yet returned for SFIV and V. Gouken was dead prior to the events of SF1 and returned in IV as his death was now magically just a coma. There's really nothing stopping them from having any of those characters returning for any reason Capcom comes up with. Though ideally many would have proteges instead of returning but we'll have to see what approach Capcom takes with VI.

Oh and AlexxKidd's post reminded me that Nash "re-died" in SFV, so add him to the dead list. :messenger_smirking:

Yeah but even having all those characters missing from SF3 doesn't mean they can't come back for 6. Most of the Alpha cast sat out SF2 yet returned for SFIV and V. Gouken was dead prior to the events of SF1 and returned in IV as his death was now magically just a coma. There's really nothing stopping them from having any of those characters returning for any reason Capcom comes up with. Though ideally many would have proteges instead of returning but we'll have to see what approach Capcom takes with VI.

Oh and AlexxKidd's post reminded me that Nash "re-died" in SFV, so add him to the dead list. :messenger_smirking:

That's because a lot of Alphas cast was in Final Fight which is in the same universe. You also need to consider Alpha was made AFTER II.

2i and 3rd strike went into the reason why guys died or left and wouldn't make much sense for them to come back keeping the current canon. Not to mention the end of Gill in TS. Again it's as simple as bringing New Generation back into canon and putting TS/2i out of the canon.

Plus, we can get more details in what happened during SFIII if SF6 has a decent story mode.

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
They are definitely out there, including Nuckledu who stands at "rookie" rank right now. I don't think he plays ranked though so they won't have to worry about him. Smurfs just discourage people from getting into the game. Most people can take an even loss and be like, OK I see where I can improve and maybe stick with it. But if you got some smurf out there waxing newcomers with Abigail they may assume he's a newcomer as well and think their skill is so far behind it's not worth keeping at it.
There lies one of the reasons Fighting Games will never be as successful as Shooting games or mobas.

You only see great progress by training and analyzing yourself to leave the rookie status. The others, team work and casual play naturally help the player to increase their skills and awareness.

Not in Fighting Games, where most of casual players will Button smash and be destroyed by Smurfs, making them eventually leave the game

There lies one of the reasons Fighting Games will never be as successful as Shooting games or mobas.

You only see great progress by training and analyzing yourself to leave the rookie status. The others, team work and casual play naturally help the player to increase their skills and awareness.

Not in Fighting Games, where most of casual players will Button smash and be destroyed by Smurfs, making them eventually leave the game

MK and Tekken are selling more than many MOBAs and shooters. Especially MK.

Iaterain

Who needs the fucking DLC? I've had the game for over a year and rather enjoy, you know...the gameplay.
I totally agree that the gameplay of Street Fighter V is fun and graphics are good, but outside of that, the game (the Arcade Edition) is barebones, because Capcom locked all basic content behind unreasonably expensive paid DLC.

It is just not fun that most of the characters, maps, costumes, colours (lol), music and even interface parts are locked behind insane microtransactions. It doesn't feel like you are buying a game, more like you are buying a privilege to be nickel and dimed like an idiot or own an incomplete version of a the fighting game.

I want Street Fighter VI to be on pair with SSBU with meaty content, not to be a free-play microtrnsactions disaster which we have today. The greediness of Capcom totally ruined Street FIghter V and only very, very, very small minority genuinely enjoying it.

But the microtransactions wasn't the main reason why I left SF V. I just couldn't stand the broken ranked mode. Most of the ranked matches are lagfest and it is common problem for many users that Capcom refuse to fix.

Less people playing it, better Street Fighter VI will be.

street-fighter-5-launch-roster-768x480.jpg

DgjQ2m0X4AATEL_.jpg

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
It's (arcade edition) been reduced to €7 on Steam. I was under the impression this version had all characters, stages, music, etc

Is that the case or is it missing anything vital?

kunonabi

It's (arcade edition) been reduced to €7 on Steam. I was under the impression this version had all characters, stages, music, etc

Is that the case or is it missing anything vital?

Stages, music, costumes, etc. and the latest season of characters aren't included. You do get the first two seasons of characters though.

Nymphae

Banned
I totally agree that the gameplay of Street Fighter V is fun and graphics are good, but outside of that, the game (the Arcade Edition) is barebones, because Capcom locked all basic content behind unreasonably expensive paid DLC.

The game has most of the modes I would want from a fighter. Arcade, story, survival, online, training. Yes, the launch was a mess. But when I bought AE, it had all this stuff, it doesn't feel bare bones to me.

It is just not fun that most of the characters, maps, costumes, colours (lol), music and even interface parts are locked behind insane microtransactions. It doesn't feel like you are buying a game, more like you are buying a privilege to be nickel and dimed like an idiot or own an incomplete version of a the fighting game.

I will agree here, putting so much behind MTXs sucks and is just greed. I don't care about fighting game DLC really, but come on, stages? Base costume colours? Give me a break. I'm just happy that I was able to purchase most of what I wanted from the fight money I received by doing most of the single player content.

But the microtransactions wasn't the main reason why I left SF V. I just couldn't stand the broken ranked mode. Most of the ranked matches are lagfest and it is common problem for many users that Capcom refuse to fix.

Are you using a wired connection? I have been pretty lucky I guess, I get the occasional stutter but it's been pretty solid for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom