• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play the 2020 GOTY on your PS5 for 50% off!

oRuin

Problem with me and Persona games I can never decide on what to do! No matter what I choose, I always feels I took the wrong choice.

I will probably pick this up though, fell off vanilla because of that cat 😸

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Marvelous visuals? Talk about low standards.

QBo0UYF.png

With such an aesthetically pleasing avatar, I'll defer to your judgement.

Jokes aside, it isn't some technical marvel but the sense the visual style is incredible. Very well done and incredibly cohesive.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I still don't know if I can consider this, I felt pretty burnt that I could not upgrade my version of P5 or even get any kind of discount for owning it
That's what puts me off. You know Persona 5 Royal PS5 Edition will be out at some point! With no upgrade path.
I can understand that. I think it would be difficult to pull off. Game is different enough that I don't think the DLC route would work and a discount is hard to manage without it somehow only applying to those that bought the original digitally. Certainly would understand skipping out if you already played the original though.

How respectful of your time is this game? Lots of grinding?
Lengthy game but IMO zero grind. I find between the side quests and main story characters generally stay leveled up. The daily activity schedule requires the player to make trade-offs when they decide what they are going to do. As a result I find that the opportunity to grind is somewhat limited. There certainly is opportunity to unlock and level up different personas but I don't find that there is much reason to do so.

evanft

@Danjin44 you forgot to sign out of your alt.

13 Sentinels is also on sale $42 right now. https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA19610_00-BSTUBCUSA1961000

GOT is also on sale. https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA11456_00-GHOSTSHIP0000001

Great games to play after Persona 5 Royal!

GOT physical is $40 right now at a couple places. 13 Sentinels will be $29.99 at GameStop during their BF deals, and I believe Best Buy will price it there as well.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
didnt they censor a bunch of shit in royal? i still got the main game
To my knowledge the only censored element were the gay guys that chase Ryugi were changed to be more interested in cross-dressing than sex. ResetEra and Twitter were upset that it was too homophobic before. Not sure this change made them too much happier. The whole thing is dumb and the characters were obviously ridiculous caricatures.

Boneless

Liked the style, music and anime humour. Did not like the combat so much, the weakness system is a bit bland, also did not enjoy the social simulator stuff enough so I dropped at the 4th palace or so.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I was thinking about buying this for my wife, as she's a fan of the series, but she wasn't as taken with 5 as she was with 4, which is her favorite game outside of RE4. If she didn't finish 5 and got bored of it, do you think she'd appreciably care about this edition anymore? Enough to warrant a purchase?

I was thinking about buying this for my wife, as she's a fan of the series, but she wasn't as taken with 5 as she was with 4, which is her favorite game outside of RE4. If she didn't finish 5 and got bored of it, do you think she'd appreciably care about this edition anymore? Enough to warrant a purchase?

Simple answer "no". If she didn't like P5 why would you force her through an expansion?

How does this game compare with say Final Fantasy 7 remake?

If you were to play only one of them?

Just read the post above and ask yourself, are you a woman or are you a man? :messenger_bicep:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I suppose it would depend on why she didn’t like it. If she found the characters or story boring then probably not but if she wanted a little bit more freedom and QOL enhancements would help then maybe.
Is it worth to get the one with the DLC, or is that just a waste?
The DLC is predominately costumes, background music packs, some additional personas, and a boss battle mode I believe. The ultimate edition is $50 on PSN right now. It would cost more to buy the base game and DLC separately so if you care about those things above I say go for it. You won’t be missing anything by skipping out so I would only suggest it if you’re a completionist.

killatopak

Gold Member
I actually didn’t buy a physical and went with digital.

I couldn’t resist the ultimate edition.

I know most of the DLCs ain’t worth it but I’ll be vibing along to the tunes of P3 and P4 along with seeing P3 and P4 protags in HD.

Forgive me physical bros.

Rubik8

I wish I liked JRPGs with how everyone raves about this game. But I looked at some videos of it, and it is definitely not for me. The art style alone makes me cringe.

Fbh

No thx. Had enough with my playthrough of the original and there's other stuff I'd rather spend 100 hours on.

I've heard this one is better and the pacing isnt as terrible as the original but maybe next time Atlus can release the version with good pacing from the start instead of the solid 60 hours game painfully stretched to 100+ hours that was the original

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I actually didn’t buy a physical and went with digital.

I couldn’t resist the ultimate edition.

I know most of the DLCs ain’t worth it but I’ll be vibing along to the tunes of P3 and P4 along with seeing P3 and P4 protags in HD.

Forgive me physical bros.
Excellent choice! Hope you enjoy it. Soundtracks for all of the games are excellent. I've had this one stuck in my head for the past few days:

I can’t get into this series. I tried 3 and 4 for a few hours each and just couldn’t get into it, and I love JRPGs. Just don’t know why.
Sorry you didn't enjoy the previous two games. Maybe you can give P5 a shot sometime. To me it is one of those few games that transcends genres and becomes an experience. That said I can totally understand how a big JRPG fan might get burnt out with daily schedule. Personally I really enjoyed that aspect of it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I can’t get into this series. I tried 3 and 4 for a few hours each and just couldn’t get into it, and I love JRPGs. Just don’t know why.
I tried 4 but the beginning bored me to tears. IMO the start of 5 is much better paced, and more interesting too.

SkylineRKR

How does this game compare with say Final Fantasy 7 remake?

If you were to play only one of them?

P5R curb stomps FFVII Remake. I bought P5R first, then put it away for FFVII R because I already beat vanilla P5 and the first hours are slow going. But after mopping up FFVII I went back to P5R and its exceptional. Platinum trophy comes if you just do most stuff (which is fun to do anyway) and nothing is really missable. I loved the new semester.

Its an incredible improvement over P5. It can also be much easier with the extra items and skills you get, but man P5R is good. If you're into turn based P5R is as good as they get.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Marvelous visuals? Talk about low standards.
They are indeed. Maybe not in a sense of having a high poly count, or lots of realistic effects. But it has style.

Just look at the menus. You wont see menus this stylized and with those animations in any game. And it's a fucking menu.

d658182032a403b1b2df921fff766745.gif

But this is just a silly example. The game has incredible artstyle overall and good animations (even if it's 30fps).

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
They are indeed. Maybe not in a sense of having a high poly count, or lots of realistic effects. But it has style.

Just look at the menus. You wont see menus this stylized and with those animations in any game. And it's a fucking menu.

d658182032a403b1b2df921fff766745.gif

But this is just a silly example. The game has incredible artstyle overall and good animations (even if it's 30fps).
Agreed and exactly my point. The game seamlessly flows from cinematics, to gameplay (in and out of palaces), to menus, and the battle sequences. I rember being particularly impressed by the post battle screen and the all out attacks in the first few battles. The style is incredible. Visually the game is a feast for the eyes.

Hakiroto

Well, despite the fact that I still have Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, and the Ghost of Tsushima DLC to play, this is pretty tempting! I've held off on this game for a while, for some reason. The only Persona game I've played before is Persona 4 Golden on Vita and I really enjoyed it. I'm also a big fan of turn-based games (I loved the original FFVII, etc.). Is this for me?

Three

That's right ladies and gentlemen, the 2020 GOTY Persona 5 Royal is 50% off on PSN right now ($29.99 USD). Hang up your katana, leave your golf clubs at home, and say goodbye to your animal neighbors. It's time to leap into modern Tokyo and explore the inner depths of people's depraved hearts. Sorry Animal Crossing, I'll be back soon

Buy it here: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA17416_00-PERSONA5R0000000

This game is an absolute masterpiece. Fantastic gameplay, an engrossing story, a phenomenal soundtrack, and marvelous visuals. This title has a sense of presentation and style that no other game has been able to match. If you have yet to play it then you are missing out. I only picked up the game recently and while I had high expectations I was absolutely floored by how good this game is. If you own a PlayStation 4 or 5 and have not played this game yet then you owe it to yourself to buy it. One of the best games of the gen and the best PS exclusive bar none. I cannot say enough good things about it.

With Joker in Smash, Shin Megami Tensei V coming next year, and Persona 5 Scramble seemingly slated for early 2021, there is no better time to play this game.

Alternatively if for some reason my high praise has left you unconvinced and you are willing to make some major sacrifices then vanilla Persona 5 is available to PS5 owners as part of the PS+ Collection:

There is absolutely no excuse for skipping this game. Don't be like me and put it off for such a long time. Push the rest of your backlog aside and queue this one up next.

Edit:
An even better deal at $19.99 for those of you who prefer physical.
Amazon
Best Buy

Don't you get this game free as part of the PS Collection when you get a PS5?

Is Royal that different? Genuine question.

Edit: saw it was already asked and answered in the thread.

Last edited:

KrisB

Picked this up yesterday when I saw it on sale. Already finished the vanilla version but after hearing so many good things about Royal I decided to get it. Playing on the PS5.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Well, despite the fact that I still have Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, and the Ghost of Tsushima DLC to play, this is pretty tempting! I've held off on this game for a while, for some reason. The only Persona game I've played before is Persona 4 Golden on Vita and I really enjoyed it. I'm also a big fan of turn-based games (I loved the original FFVII, etc.). Is this for me?
Absolutely! If you liked 4 I think you'll enjoy this one.

Atlus should give you a cut OP. Another copy sold.
Let’s go! I hope you enjoy it.

If I sell enough maybe they’ll finally port 3 and 4.

Last edited:

lachesis

19.99 is the target price I’ve been waiting for (Platinumed vanilla ver 2 years ago) and I think I am ready for another run thru.

For some reason Amazon doesn’t show it at 19.99 though...

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Outdated junk
I'm all for someone coming in here and saying "I didn't like it personally because of the pacing" or "Ghost of Tsushima was my GOTY" but you really came in here to post that?

Believe it or not but but other developers make games for PlayStation. A lot of them are good too. Go back to console warring in the next gen thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom