• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown on the benefits of working with Microsoft

If I had been MS I would have done all I can to make this game a full exclusive. There's no telling if they haven't offered them that already of course. For MS that would be huge but don't get me wrong, at the end of the day it's much better that every game gets to experience the game.

Sounds like there's little need to go that route as I don't see the PS4 version coming anytime soon based on that interview. Why waste the cash when you've already got a major head start?

Ryde3

it's going to be an XBX seller, awesome.

edit: I just bought a GTX 1080, so no XBX for me, but I wonder how it will run on my XB1S haha.

Trago

Good on MS supporting this game's development.

Dunno how I feel about Rare's water tech being in the game. Could just be a cosmetic thing, or it could affect gameplay.

wapplew

That PS4 version question, why don't Sony send tech support and hire port studio to handle the port like MS?
Are Sony sleeping on biggest game on the planet?

Gowans

This is what was being implied in the E3 and Gamecom interviews, lots of deep collaboration.

Really hope they get this out soon.

Boke1879

That PS4 version question, why don't Sony send tech support and hire port studio to handle the port like MS?

Who knows what they are doing. It's probably not going to come to PS4 until a full retail release anyway.

Shifty

So the gamepad mapping is going to be the same as every other FPS ever?

I for one am SHOCKED. Bumper Jumper still being robbed in 2017.

Also the water tech from SoT is cool but is it really all that necessary when the majority of gameplay takes place on land? Seems like it'd be pretty performance-costly.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, they sold off Sony Online Entertainment, which made a 7.2 million unit selling Battle Royale game before PUBG ever came out.

I mean, it's clearly exclusive to Xbox in this time period so why would Sony send there people's over there now when they have no release date or certainty that they are even getting this game?

So the gamepad mapping is going to be the same as every other FPS ever?

I for one am SHOCKED. Bumper Jumper still being robbed in 2017.

Also the water tech from SoT is cool but is it really all that necessary when the majority of gameplay takes place on land? Seems like it'd be pretty performance-costly.
They can pair it down so it can look more appropriate, while also taking less resources. It's good looking water, they don't need the crazy simulation that SoT is doing.

Given how big the game is, they should hire Bluepoint or Nixxes.

Great catch by MS. A healthy Xbox is good for everyone and I was beginning to worry Sony could go back to late PS2 levels of comfortable.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
If there was ever a more perfect opportunity for Sony to come to their senses about cross-platform play, it would be this game.

Minecraft is old news.

This is the next big thing.

Step up, Sony.

Well, they sold off Sony Online Entertainment, which made a 7.2 million unit selling Battle Royale game before PUBG ever came out.

Which was? o_O

Gestault

Hopefully it wont tank performance.

For how great it looked in the various Sea of Thieves beta rounds, it's crazy how zero impact it seemed to be on the overall scene performance on XB1. I have a feeling it's more about "clever" tech than brute-forcing anything.

I bet it'll take at least 2019 to release on PS4, especially if the game stays in early access till 2018, and with the low staff count scrambling to finish the PC version and essentially port to Xbox.

Even if it's 1 year exclusive, I bet the timer doesn't kick in until the game is out of early access. Start counting for PS5 port (or PS4 port forward-compatible with PS5).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
staff = $$$

doing stuff for them for free = $$$

free tech = $$$

good on xbox for helping out a small developer financially

Cash
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Having MSs tech teams there to support them will be invaluable.
Im sure once the XB/PC versions are out and stable the PS4 build wont be too far behind. And all this help MS is giving them on the XB/PC the enhancements and knowledge they would ahve gain should make moving to PS4 even easier for them.

How hard could it be to port UE4 to PS4?
<-- Has no idea.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
On a game they probably won't get for a year at most?

PR is PR.

Better to get the ball rolling on word of mouth before it gains traction and it becomes a talking point for Xbox.

DR2K

Banned
Smart move on Microsoft's part to do everything they can to get this game out to console folks.

Sony needs to step up as well.

If MS payed for exclusivity as a part of their agreement, there's nothing Sony can do until that agreeement is over.

Hoping this is a success for Microsoft and everyone involved. Looking forward to trying it out on the X later this year if I can afford it.

Sjefen

Damn I thought this was a Mojang kind of staff, but 120 people strong and aiming for 300 is insane imo. This game is growing faster than they can staff up

EvB

The team who is porting it is essentially 3 guys in spain, they are the ones that need the help to get it up and running to the expectations of console users

Jumeira

Banned
Interesting that MS are co developing and enhancing their services and security. This doesn't sound like a usual console exclusive deal. Happy to see Blupoint being supported though, more time for them making the game better.

wwm0nkey

I would be wayyyy more interested in sea of thieves if it was a pirate pubg .

Maybe they can both learn from each other :)

PUBG pirate level when?

Also just gonna post some good water in here

lightning-low.gif

staff = $$$

free tech = $$$

good on xbox for helping out a small developer financially

i don't know exactly what you try to say here, but yes
knowledge, experience, quality personal and IP has value and is not free

but $$$ is the least Bluehole needs right now. PUBG is making more than enough of that.
and Microsoft does not do this out of generosity, because they want this game to make them a shit ton of $$$ on their platform

EvB

i don't know exactly what you try to say here, but yes
knowledge, experience, quality personal and IP has value and is not free

but $$$ is the least Bluehole needs right now. PUBG is making more than enough of that.
and Microsoft does not do this out of generosity, because they want this game to make them a shit ton of $$$ on their platform

And it’s not even for the game unit sales, more so for the $$$ that Microtransaction revenue brings to them as a platform holder.

Keinning

i don't know exactly what you try to say here

It's easier to complain about how microsoft's moneyhat is keeping this game out of PS4 and how Phil Spencer is an hypochrite for saying he doesnt like timed deals when you simplify everything to just money

People are still debating how much MS paid for "exclusivity" and how long it will last with no confirmation of any deal being real when Greene himself said that the early access program made it easier to release for xbox

BiGBoSSMk23

I bet it'll take at least 2019 to release on PS4, especially if the game stays in early access till 2018, and with the low staff count scrambling to finish the PC version and essentially port to Xbox.

Even if it's 1 year exclusive, I bet the timer doesn't kick in until the game is out of early access. Start counting for PS5 port (or PS4 port forward-compatible with PS5).

So we're guessing that PlayerUnknown is bound to refuse any advances from Sony to get their port going?

Seems like an extraordinary support for something that's only timed. But then the game could be the next gta3 so that would pay off big time.

EvB

Seems like an extraordinary support for something that's only timed. But then the game could be the next gta3 so that would pay off big time.

Even if it wasn’t Timed, that could drag out Dave time for 2 years by being multi platform and ported by such a small team and it may just be too late.

Top Bottom