• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing Monster Hunter for the first time: is this game extremely complicated or is it just me?

MOTM

Banned
Started playing MH: Rise on Gamepass a couple of days ago and this is my first time with the series.

I feel like there’s a 100 different systems that I’m supposed to remember and use and none of them feel particularly intuitive. On top of that, hard to describe it exactly but the game also doesn’t feel "tight". Everything feels a bit floaty and loose, from the game play to the mechanics/systems.

Just by watching videos of it and MH: World previously, I was a bit confused why these games are so popular and now playing it for myself I’m even more confused.

Think I may drop this and move on to Wo Long tomorrow.

GymWolf

World is less floaty and arcade-y than rise.

But it's are not your typical action game, it need time to click, and when you think it clicked, it's gonna click again after 100 hours, and then again after 300 hours.

You shouls also try all the weapons and watch some guides on yt, the game can be obtuse and obscure for no good reasons, different weapons wildly change how you play the game.

It's not just you. This game is super complicated and has awful tutorials. There's a lot of systems and mechanics going on, and most explanations about that stuff happen during combat when they're easy to miss. You can find a lot of info hidden in the menus, but that's boring and the game doesn't promote that too much either.

Best to watch some guides and videos to learn how to play. That's what I did and I love these games now. The combat has the right level of complexity that just makes it fun to fight monsters over and over again. I do think it's worth trying, even if it takes more effort than most other games.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It's overwhelming for the first hour or so but it's actually a super simple game once you get into the swing of things.

It's basically just grab a mission -> eat food to boost your stats -> load up on whatever potions/gear you wanna bring -> go do your mission -> upgrade you gear with the stuff you got from your mission

Rinse and repeat that for 100 hours and that's the game. My 9 year old grasped it just fine after getting past the intro bits.

RaZoR No1

Monster Hunter is one of most user and beginner unfriendly games ...
And it was always like that ...
For starters, stay / play only Village Quests, as they are easier and more suit to play alone (cannot be played in coop, only hub quests can be played in multiplayer).
These missions will "guide" you through the game.
Difficulty / Story wise you should play the Village quests, then the Hub ones.
Gear is not that important at the beginning.
Eat
Always eat Dangos
+
Just go to the training facility and try out the different weapons.
Pick one you like.
Everything else will come bit by bit.
If you enjoy fighting big monsters, you will like it.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Monster Hunter is a stack of mechanics that have been developed over the last 20 years. Though to be fair, it's been this complicated most of the time.

Read every single thing you can in the hunters notes and watch youtube videos. There's a lot to learn, but when you know exactly what every item does and everything is firing on all cylinders, there are few games that feel as good.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just do the quests in order, chat to npcs and you'll get the hang of it and have all the hints and explanations you need. It's ok to not know everything as the difficulty of early missions doesn't require it. By the time it's needed you'll know of it, the games are good with the progression curve since Tri. I really don't get the difficulty people have with following some basic on screen instructions and practicing the controls a little bit considering they may seem somewhat unconventional in the age of press A for awesome games. It really doesn't take much more than this. I got into MH by the Tri and FU (Freedom Unite, but I guess to some it may have been a real FU) demos which don't even have all the training stuff and eventually got most of the core systems before playing the full games that actually do explain everything in detail. I guess skipping hints might make it a bit harder but still...

Last edited:

Comandr

Is World on game pass? Play that instead. It’s much more beginner friendly if you’ve never touched a MH game before. And it’s better than rise.

I would say start with a fast weapon like dual blades or sword and shield. Once you get comfortable with the movement and feel of the game, you can easily try different weapons and find one that you like. The right weapon will make a MASSIVE difference in the way the game feels for you. You might hate the switch axe but the bow clicks for you and you fall in love.

When I first started with Tri on the Wii I absolutely hated it. Then eventually I tried again on the Wii U and discovered the weapon that finally made it all click for me and I’ve been hooked ever since.

KàIRóS

Can't relate, but then again I've played MH since the PS2 days, they are pretty straightforward boss rush games in my eyes, probably the hardest thing about them is learning weapons and boss patterns.

My advice would be to try Multiplayer, if you're not having fun playing with others then yeah just leave it, it's not for you.

It's basically just grab a mission -> eat food to boost your stats -> load up on whatever potions/gear you wanna bring -> go do your mission -> upgrade you gear with the stuff you got from your mission

Yup that's basically it.

Rush2112

Banned
MHW combat, as a souls fan, wasnt for me. I can even deal with NIOH, but yeah great game, not for me.

Last edited:

bbeach123

monster hunter combat actually VERY different weapon to weapon .

From personal reference the weapons you chose may cause you to stick with the game or quit before 20 hours .

Last edited:
Started playing MH: Rise on Gamepass a couple of days ago and this is my first time with the series.

I feel like there’s a 100 different systems that I’m supposed to remember and use and none of them feel particularly intuitive. On top of that, hard to describe it exactly but the game also doesn’t feel "tight". Everything feels a bit floaty and loose, from the game play to the mechanics/systems.

Just by watching videos of it and MH: World previously, I was a bit confused why these games are so popular and now playing it for myself I’m even more confused.

As someone who has played the series since the PSP days all i can say is that you are gonna need to be patient and give it enough time. My first one was Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, and mind you controls and camera was awful. So I had to learn the hardware.

Modern Monster Hunter is a lot more accessible than previous titles. My suggestion is that you look up a couple of videos for different type of weapons the game has to offer.

I like to use the Greatsword, but it takes a lot of risk and precise timing and can be a bit daunting to learn. Hammer is probably the easiest for someone who is starting out and so are the dual blades.

Monster Hunter Rise also has a lot of new mechanics including the wire bugs and the palamutes which are the dogs that you can mount on. Those never existed in previous titled not even in World or Iceborne. Mounting has be around for a while, but Rise let's you control the Monster for a bit to attack and damage other monsters, that is also new.

I love MH its one of my favorite franchises. Each Monster is very unique and can be fun to fight against. The game rewards you if you are patient and not mashing buttons. You have to learn each of the weapons and their strengths and weaknesses to really utilize them.

Here are a few tips

-Pick a weapon that you think is most appealing to you and force yourself to learn it

-Don't worry about trying to progress super fast and get to end game. Monster Hunter is a farming and crafting game

-Upgrade your weapons as early as possible, look up the best progression path for weapon upgrades on YouTube or, just go at your own pace. Early monsters don't really require huge upgrades. That's more for end game.

-Don't worry about other mechanics, just learn the basics of going on a quest and completing the objectives

-Hoard and collect everything you see any time you go on a mission

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Baki

It's complicated and not user friendly.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah, I tried it for a while, but found the gameplay loop extremely boring. Just going out and killing monsters doesn't really do it for me.

Deerock71

Man, it's so obtuse. People that have invested hundreds of hours into it swear it's the best thing since sliced bread, but you have to power through the first 100 hours to begin to see what they're talking about.

drotahorror

Check out MH World if the series interests you. According to Steam I played for 200 hours, I did enjoy my time. I tried to play MH Rise and it felt way too complicated. I'll check it out another day though.

Phase

It's basically fight monster > improve gear > use better gear to fight new monster ad infinitum. The gameplay loop doesn't do it for me so I dropped it after about 10 hours.

KrisB

monster hunter combat actually VERY different weapon to weapon .

From personal reference the weapons you chose may cause you to stick with the game or quit before 20 hours .
That’s been my experience. I played one of the earlier titles in 3DS and gave up on it quickly as I found the controls to be terrible.

Then World came out and I put well over 100 hours into it and loved it. The bowgun is my preferred weapon type which I’m using now in Rise too. It really is trial and error to find one that you can gel with but I also think it’s one of those games that just aren’t for everyone.

bbeach123

That’s been my experience. I played one of the earlier titles in 3DS and gave up on it quickly as I found the controls to be terrible.

Then World came out and I put well over 100 hours into it and loved it. The bowgun is my preferred weapon type which I’m using now in Rise too. It really is trial and error to find one that you can gel with but I also think it’s one of those games that just aren’t for everyone.
I actually rage quit this series 3 time is a row .
The first psp version with GS (boring shit), then the mh3 with longsword (boring shit), then the mh3u bow (boring shit) .

And then come the mh4u charge blade . I love it so much that I played for over 200h CB.

And then 500h on mhw with lance/cb/bow .

Rea

MH is basically Dark souls in the PSP when it came out. The game has always been like this, you have to watch guides and/or explore yourself, just like dark souls. Once it clicks, it's so addicting. I'm a fan of this game since PSP. There's a time I played MH:World for 24 hours and fall sick. There's also huge online community, it's best to hunt with others players.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
1. Try all weapons in training area for a while. Master basic controls.
2. Watch a YouTube video on the weapon you pick.
3. Familiarize yourself with the hub area. Its one town and thats it. A few shops and places to get quests.
4. Pick up a quest and go explore in the wild. Pick up the free items from the chest. The biggest thing that freaks people out is the items but its mostly optional. Just use potions and eat food to heal fatigue loss.
5. Fight some monsters and when you're done carve them for parts.
6. Go back to hub area and use parts for armor.
7. Play online when ready and fight cooler monsters and make cooler armor.

Thats it.

Lol apparently it used to be even worse. It’s the only game one of my friends ever plays and he’s been doing so since 2006 or whenever it started so there must be something there. Buggered if I can work it out though.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yeah the series is awful at that. It is not your fault OP. Imagine if Xenoblade 3 through every combat system at you from the start because they assume you know it all. Most people will drop it too.

Same ol G

These games are for veterans, you're obviously not one of us.
This is one of those games that the west would like to love but most can't get in to it.
Better play Wo Long prpbably a lot easier and more satisfactory

GymWolf

These games are for veterans, you're obviously not one of us.
This is one of those games that the west would like to love but most can't get in to it.
Better play Wo Long prpbably a lot easier and more satisfactory
You almost fooled me for a moment with this elitist bullshit dude:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

KiteGr

IMO MH World is better than Rise in most aspects. It emphasizes learning the hunting zones and offer less nobility and a more realistic world to truly feel like a Hunter. In MH Rise you are mostly a anime Ninja. World also has a much better presentation as Rise was originally made for the switch. There are fewer, but more viable systems outside of crafting, and generally less fluff. The vertical evades you can do in rise with the Wirebugs don't match well with most of the monsters that are desidgned to hit the ground.

Things to know about MH in general:
  • Each weapon type is like a character from a fighting game with purposly incomplete tutorials. Some are easy to pull off but hard to master. Some are projectile spammers. Some are very complicated for beginners. All are viable, so don't skip on one because it looks stupid or hard to use. In each game they change/add more moves over the years to complicate, simplify or ballance each one, so by this point they end up being very deep. The tutorial in training only tells you the basics for you to start. Even the dull looking ones like the Lance or the Warhorn can be awsome if you watch a single tuttorial on youtube.
    • The most complicated weapons in the game are the Charge Blade, the Gunlance and Surprisingly IMO the Long Sword as it requires knowledge to pull proper combos. You shouldn't play eather of them without a proper tutorial.
    • The 2 lance weapons (Lance & Gunlance) have the best shields. The Lance's attacks look boring, but has counters and an amazing charge ability to cover large distances despite it's heavy movement. The Gunlance is better for DPS at the expence of your sharpness, but as I said, you shouldn't use it without a proper tutorial.
    • The Kinsect Blade and Dual Blades are the most mobile weapons. The Kinsect Blade in particular has an amazing vaulting ability that makes it the most areal weapon. You shouldn't use it however without learning to extracting red essence from monsters or the button combination for vaulting.
    • Sword & Shield and Warhorn are the most multiplayer friendly weapons. The first is because you don't need to sheath to use items, making it work really well with perks that share your item benefits with other players, and as a bonus is one of the most versitale. The Warhorn is the most underated weapon, as people asume it as a musical instrument, where in reality it functions like a club, and the buffing/healing/damaging music you can make is a bonus.
    • The Hammer and Warhorn are the most concusive weapons. Hitting the monster in the head with blunt attacks cause it to eventualy fall down or it's part to break offering extra loot, and while other weapon like the switch axe in axe form, shieldbasses in Sword & Shield and a certain skill in the Bow can cause concusive damage, these are the masters. Make sure to learn to charge the hammer and sending the charge to your self instead of releasing it to buff your self.
    • The projectile weapons (Bow and the 2 Bowgun types) aren't made for distance as their appearance suggest. Each weapon and Ammo has an optimal distance to do dammage represented by the target at your screen, so don't think you'll be snipping from the other side of the map.
    • All other weapons are simple enough, though, each one has a few trademark tricks you should know to play properly.
  • There are 3 main attack buttons in this fighting game. Triangle, Circle and R2 (or your console's equivalent). These are the bread and butter of using most weapons. Ocaisonaly they incomporate some other button from your controller, but most attacks and combos are achived by those 3. Plenty of attacks incomporate some combination of those buttons like Triangle + Circle so always try those to see what they do.
  • The game asumes you'll be going on each mission on a full stomach. Doing optional missions unlocks/upgrades lots of helpfull tools, and also unlock ingredients. For begginers it's best to pick the suggested by the chef food that uses the freshest ingredients and buffs you health and stamina to the max. Veteran players will choose ingredients for specific buffs, and instead take consumables to max their health and stamina. If you get "carted" (die), you'll loose all your food's benefits and you can't eat again in your camp unless some time has passed, so always carry a pill or 2 to max your health and/or stamina again.
  • You should save item loadouts. Make at least 1 general loadout with Health items, traps, pills, tranquilizers, barrel bombs, ect that you'll always need on each hunt, and restock it after each hunt. You can make specific loadouts later for monsters and/or areas that give you trouble and require strategies. (like having antidotes for blights, cold/hot drinks for hot/cold areas, or powders for multyplayer.)
  • Crafting weapons mostly involves upgrading the old ones, so make sure you have plenty of combinations for each. I use Dual Blades for fast monsters, Lance for monsters with big hard to avoid attacks (especially Diablos), and Kinsect blade for monser who like to fly a lot. Crafting armour involves you crafting new ones much more often and upgrading mostly the good ones. That way you can mix & mach your perks depending on the hunt.
  • Prepper before each hunt. The strategy is to always prepper or create loadouts for each monster! I would never hunt a Rathian or Rathalos for example without poison negating perks.
  • Play on-line! This is at heart a multiplayer game! The multiplayer is awkward as it's offten designed with Japanese standards, but It's much faster and easier to collect materials when you are playing with outher players.
  • The story is irrelevant. As irrelevant as an MMO. It's there, it's well animated, but it's not the focus. This is a Semmy MMO game like Diablo 2, where instead of grinding small mobs for gear, you only grind bosses, and since there is no loot stealing, it's always better with others.
  • The instalments are generally devided into "Mainline" and "Portable" games, made by two seperate studios within Capcom. World was a Mainline designe for Current Gen Consoles. Rise is a Portable designed for whatever portable device is poppular at the time. Portables tend to focus on more stylised graphics (to run easier on weaker hardware) while having faster hunts for smaler bursts of gaming. That's why Rise introduces a ton of ways to traverse the world, including a streight up mount companion from the get go. World also had mounts, but you had to unlock them by befriending the local tribes, and they still functioned independently from you.
  • Have Fun!

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Honestly, as a huge fan of the franchise it pays off to have a friend to guide you at the beginning.

Wish the game was cross play, it’d be more than happy to do it for you.

I love it.

Keep it simple at first. Just accept quest, eat a meal then go for the hunt.

Also, how it's animation, gameplay works, it's a big reason why it's so popular and addictive. You really have to commit to your attacks. Hunter takes some time to swing weapon and you can't cancel it in the middle.

But Monster attacks and movement is also predictable. Once they finish their attack, it's best to initiate your attacks just after that, so you get time to finish it.

SSfox

Didn't play Rise tho i've 800H in World. One of the thing i liked most is its very uniqueness in pretty much every aspects.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The BS thing about this game is you can play for months and grind gear to get better stats or you can start new in a day and get your buddys to give you the same gear and be absolutely equal.

The whole progression without XP is pointless and makes me not want to touch the games.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The BS thing about this game is you can play for months and grind gear to get better stats or you can start new in a day and get your buddys to give you the same gear and be absolutely equal.

The whole progression without XP is pointless and makes me not want to touch the games.
The gear is really not that important compared to the skill of the player. If you got a bunch of endgame gear and tried to fast forward to an endgame monster, you'd die in 2 minutes.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I would say Rise is fairly simple/streamlined, it's very accessible.

They also cut out a lot of the crappy stuff from older games like gather whetstones to sharpen weapons etc (you still have to sharpen your weapon, but don't need to gather individual stones anymore thankfully)

darrylgorn

It's very much like Dark Souls in this respect.

Check out some beginner guides on youtube. Once you understand the gameplay loop it will make much more sense.

Last edited:
It’s an acquired taste, for sure. I’d suggest picking one weapon type and sticking with it. Then play it again and pick another if you want to change things up.

But there’s no denying the loop of carving for parts to make new gear is just the cat’s meow. It’s so addictive.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Nope, had the same issue with World when starting

But it gets really simple once you get the hang of it. Just keep playing it.

RaZoR No1

Man, it's so obtuse. People that have invested hundreds of hours into it swear it's the best thing since sliced bread, but you have to power through the first 100 hours to begin to see what they're talking about.
I have invested over 100 hours into World and Rise.
The game is not even close beeing the best game ever...
Slow and IMO stupid controls (sometime even a bigger threat than the enemies itself....), stupid camera, some monsters have a range of a country or you get some damage if a hair from them touches you or they just walk by you, no tutorial, no real open worlds (MW World was at least a step up in the world size), "same" mechanics and gameplay since the PSP version.
Outdated graphics (World feels and looks better than Rise. Does not help that Rise is a NSW game)
It becomes a Grindfest later/endgame.

But there is just nothing else like Monster Hunter. It is a pretty special game, but if it klicks, then you will have alot of fun.
They have Palicos.
Do you like boss fights?
Monster Hunter.
Like grinding?
Monster Hunter.
Awesome monster designs?
Monster Hunter!

Have I already mentioned, that they have Palicos!?
Video Game Dancing GIF by CAPCOM

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I have invested over 100 hours into World and Rise.
The game is not even close beeing the best game ever...
Slow and IMO stupid controls (sometime even a bigger threat than the enemies itself....), stupid camera, some monsters have a range of a country or you get some damage if a hair from them touches you or they just walk by you, no tutorial, no real open worlds (MW World was at least a step up in the world size), "same" mechanics and gameplay since the PSP version.
Outdated graphics (World feels and looks better than Rise. Does not help that Rise is a NSW game)
It becomes a Grindfest later/endgame.

But there is just nothing else like Monster Hunter. It is a pretty special game, but if it klicks, then you will have alot of fun.
They have Palicos.
Do you like boss fights?
Monster Hunter.
Like grinding?
Monster Hunter.
Awesome monster designs?
Monster Hunter!

Have I already mentioned, that they have Palicos!?
Video Game Dancing GIF by CAPCOM

Great post but I don’t get the complaint about the controls… if you mash you queue just like in souls.

StickStack

Neo Member
Monster Hunter World was my first MH game. I knew very little about it when starting. You don't need to understand much and it doesn't seem very complicated to get started. Eat some food for a buff, pick a weapon that fits your playstyle (or pick one and go to learn them), and then either just go exploring or pick up a mission and go try.

I watched a short video explaining weapon types / advantages and chose the weapon I eventually beat the game with. Loved it, great game. Shrug?

I bought Rise after beating World but have been sidetracked with a ton of other games. Will go back and finish that one some day :)

Kusarigama

I'm right with you OP, I had tried it back on PSP and it didn't click with me. I tried Monster Hunter World but the hits and combat just didn't feel quite right. I gave it up accepting that it is not for me, even though I admire the game a lot.

On the other hand I recently tried Toukiden Kiwami on PlayStation Plus extra recently and it has big demons instead of monsters and the combat was very much in harmony to me.

StickStack

Neo Member
Oh, there's a setting change that makes combat more fluid, gets rid of the floaty and constant pausing or delay when landing an attack. I can't remember what it is right now, HAH.

I tried googling real quick to find it but I can't remember the search syntax to find what it is and am having no luck.

Basically, there's a single setting in options that removes the constant little stutters or pauses or "cinematic delay" or whatever you want to call it when you land an attack. It annoyed the F out of me when I first started and made the game much more enjoyable when disabled.

Top Bottom