• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing Tomb Raider 3 and 4 (The Last Revelation) with the original creators from Core Design

sublimit

Banned
Huge TR fan Ash Kaprielov did an amazing job gathering some of past Core Design developers where they played Tomb Raider 3 and 4 and chatted about all things Tomb Raider! There are tons of info in there and a lot of common misconceptions (like Core Design hated working on TR 4) are being put to rest.
If you are a fan of classic Tomb Raider games grab a coffee/beer/whatever and enjoy:

sublimit

Banned
I love The Last Revelation. It was the best from the series.
I think that if i could vote objectively 4 would also be my favorite from the classics even though i'm more sentimental towards 2 since it was my first one. But 4 was the epitome of TR for me. It was all set in Egypt which was the perfect setting obviously,it was huge with lots of different paths to choose and explore,and a world that felt more coherent than the more typical structure of the previous games. Still i think some of the best level designs of the series were in the first 2 games.
I remember 3 being this significant difficulty spike for the series. Great games but 2 will always be my favourite
Yeah 3 was definitely the hardest especially on Playstation (due to its brutaly punishing save system).

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’ve replayed 3 and 4 within the past year. I will give this a watch. 4 is my favorite since I think it hit all the concepts from the classic games perfectly.

sublimit

Banned
Are these ones as abysmal to play as 1 and 2? Those are the ones I had as a nipper.
Classic TR games have steep learning curves and require thought and skills that young kids obviously can't have therefore i will excuse your insolence. :)
If you don't like Tomb Raider 1 & 2 you will not like the rest of the classics since their core gameplay is basically the same.

But yeah those games were the Dark Souls of the 90's in a way that required a certain game mentality from the player that you either liked and became better at playing them or you didn't and continued to suck at play them and then started blaming the games.

StormCell

I really enjoyed the originals. This was the sort of game where executing a difficult maneuver successfully was often reward enough. Then there are all the hidden artifacts that require a sharp eye or good instinct to even find.

Dying, itself, is also meant to be entertaining in these games. I'm sure my friend and I spent a good hour laughing as we took turns mercilessly getting eaten by the T-Rex. We even had the game guide that told us what to do, but pulling it off was still a challenge!

Oh my days Ash!!!

I remember about 12 years ago meeting Ash in Wirral, Liverpool. He is so lovely, and he did some amazing drawings of old style Tomb Raider back in the day.

Thanks for posting Sublimit!

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I really enjoyed the originals. This was the sort of game where executing a difficult maneuver successfully was often reward enough. Then there are all the hidden artifacts that require a sharp eye or good instinct to even find.

Dying, itself, is also meant to be entertaining in these games. I'm sure my friend and I spent a good hour laughing as we took turns mercilessly getting eaten by the T-Rex. We even had the game guide that told us what to do, but pulling it off was still a challenge!
Yeah the classic TR games had a lot of levels that even when you knew what to do it was still hard to perform because they often required quick reflexes and precision. It was also very easy to get lost because often the exits were hidden very cleverly.

There was really nothing else in the market like the gameplay and level design the classics had and sadly there is still nothing that fills the gap that Core left after they were unfairly removed from the franchise (after all they have done for it).

Also, we can’t mention the original Tomb Raiders without mentioning the soundtracks. The quality for the time was amazing, and really helped set the atmosphere when you entered a new room etc.

I am shamelessly a fan of Angel of Darkness as well. Some of the game mechanics were ahead of their time. I know it had its problems, but I was fully invested in the planned trilogy.

StormCell

Yeah the classic TR games had a lot of levels that even when you knew what to do it was still hard to perform because they often required quick reflexes and precision. It was also very easy to get lost because often the exits were hidden very cleverly.

There was really nothing else in the market like the gameplay and level design the classics had and sadly there is still nothing that fills the gap that Core left after they were unfairly removed from the franchise (after all they have done for it).

I fondly remember this being true for a lot of those Playstation games--Cool Boarders comes to mind. I miss that style of gaming a lot compared to the complexity (or lack of) of today's versions of these games.

Valentino

Does anyone here like Legend, Anniversary or Underworld? I don't think i've ever ever seen them mentioned on mainstream game outlets (i.e not on tomb raider fan forums) if the GP usually brings up Tomb Raider games they talk about classic Core, or reboot games. I think Leg, Anni, Und were great little games on PS2 and PS3

Does anyone here like Legend, Anniversary or Underworld? I don't think i've ever ever seen them mentioned on mainstream game outlets (i.e not on tomb raider fan forums) if the GP usually brings up Tomb Raider games they talk about classic Core, or reboot games. I think Leg, Anni, Und were great little games on PS2 and PS3

I thought they were ok. I did find the Anniversary addition a bit sacrilege to my love for Tomb Raider 1 though. I think my main gripe with those games was the mother storyline, which funnily enough turned into a father storyline in the newer games. Lara was always positioned as this strong, independent, bad ass tomb raider. She had so much sass in some of the voice lines, but then all of sudden she was quite sensitive.

I remember the uproar about killing tigers so they included a tranquilliser. My days...

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more

I liked them all. They were pretty short and easy though. None of the games since the Core games have really captured the good balance of exploration, puzzles, platforming and combat.

XOMTOR

I certainly do, they're my personal favorite TR games to date, Anniversary especially.

I enjoyed the original Core games, played them on PlayStation many years ago and I'm replaying TR Last Revelation right now (on PC with a bunch of mods) and I'm feeling now what I felt back then: the core gameplay was mostly solid and enjoyable, but they were severely hampered by the technological limitations of the time; they simply didn't have the polygon budget to model a lot of the items in the game. For example: ladders, climbable vines and overhead monkey-bars were not 3D assets; they were just flat, low-rez textures stretched across a surface. This resulted in you spending a ton of time trying to figure out where to go simply because you frequently had no idea what you were looking at. TR3 on PS1 was frustrating because of this. So, while I can forgive the low-rez textures and janky controls, they should have at least been able to model the important game assets in 3D.

Senua

Classic TR games have steep learning curves and require thought and skills that young kids obviously can't have therefore i will excuse your insolence. :)
If you don't like Tomb Raider 1 & 2 you will not like the rest of the classics since their core gameplay is basically the same.

But yeah those games were the Dark Souls of the 90's in a way that required a certain game mentality from the player that you either liked and became better at playing them or you didn't and continued to suck at play them and then started blaming the games.
Yea that's one way to excuse awful gameplay I guess

Kenpachii

Actually now i think of it, yea dark souls is a good description on how i looked at those games back then. However standards where also much lower back in the day so i can't remember that the game controlled god awful. it was just hard.

Imotekh

The classic TR games were great platforming games because every bit if the level was designed around the way Lara trundles. You hop 1 meter back, if you run 1 meter you can jump 2 meters. Etc.

Platforming was a puzzle that required foresight, timing and reflexes to pull off. Compare that to the way its handled in contemporary games where you can hammer X vigorously (yet, somehow, lazily) to shuffle up a vertical cliff edge hopping up to improbable hand golds endlessly like a squat, smug goblin. Super human feats of agility have become super boring because all of the challenge got sucked out. The last game I saw actually give climbing the respect it deserves by adding challenge was Breath of the Wild because you depended on a limited supply of stamina to keep going.

sublimit

Banned
I used to hate them. Legend was the first huge deviation from what Tomb Raider used to be. Vey easy and linear,white ledges showing you were to go,an idiot NPC constantly talking to Lara and giving her hints (as if the game wasn't easy enough) and ruining any sense of isolation that the classics always focused on,and a sticky,automatic and inconsistent platforming that was the antithesis to everything that Tomb Raider was about (precision,calculation and reflexes). The cringy emphasis on Lara and her momy/dady storyline (that Crystal Dynamics still for some weird reason continues to force into their stories),the slow motion button prompts and quick time events,and the uninspired level designs were all things that fans of the classics hated.
The only good things were the graphics for its time (even on PS2) and the music.
Anniversary was a great example of how important the grid system was in the classics. Even when copying Core Design's iconic level designs like St Francis Folly,Palace Midas and others it was obvious that the essence of the originals was missing due to Crystal's inconsistent platforming as well as due to whole sections of the original levels missing (as well as some levels missing completelly). Anniversary showed very clearly how Crystal never really understood what made Tomb Raider "Tomb Raider" even when they copied Core Design's work.They also showed that they continued to have a love for gimmicky combat and cinematic gameplay that takes away freedom form the hands of the player (like with the T-Rex battle).
Underworld had some levels that i liked more than anything Crystal had made (even if they were still nothing like proper Tomb Raider) but other levels were atrociously bad and the game felt unfinished and rushed.
However after i played the reboot trilogy i started to think more fondly about the LAU trilogy even if i still consider them very bad TR games. Unlike the Reboot trilogy they were at least TRYING to make a Tomb Raider game.
Yea that's one way to excuse awful gameplay I guess
Please stop embarassing yourself and leave this thread.

Last edited:

Senua

I used to hate them. Legend was the first huge deviation from what Tomb Raider used to be. Vey easy and linear,white ledges showing you were to go,an idiot NPC constantly talking to Lara and giving her hints (as if the game wasn't easy enough) and ruining any sense of isolation that the classics always focused on,and a sticky,automatic and inconsistent platforming that was the antithesis to everything that Tomb Raider was about (precision,calculation and reflexes). The cringy emphasis on Lara and her momy/dady storyline (that Crystal Dynamics still for some weird reason continues to force into their stories),the slow motion button prompts and quick time events,and the uninspired level designs were all things that fans of the classics hated.
The only good things were the graphics for its time (even on PS2) and the music.
Anniversary was a great example of how important the grid system was in the classics. Even when copying Core Design's iconic level designs like St Francis Folly,Palace Midas and others it was obvious that the essence of the originals was missing due to Crystal's inconsistent platforming as well as due to whole sections of the original levels missing (as well as some levels missing completelly). Anniversary showed very clearly how Crystal never really understood what made Tomb Raider "Tomb Raider" even when they copied Core Design's work.They also showed that they continued to have a love for gimmicky combat and cinematic gameplay that takes away freedom form the hands of the player (like with the T-Rex battle).
Underworld had some levels that i liked more than anything Crystal had made (even if they were still nothing like proper Tomb Raider) but other levels were atrociously bad and the game felt unfinished and rushed.
However after i played the reboot trilogy i started to think more fondly about the LAU trilogy even if i still consider them very bad TR games. Unlike the Reboot trilogy they were at least TRYING to make a Tomb Raider game.

Please stop embarassing yourself and leave this thread.

Tazzu

I love The Last Revelation. It was the best from the series.
It really is the peak of the PSone games but I felt the first section of the game went on for too long as it was mostly indoors/underground. The last third of the game was just too dark both graphically and in tone. I couldn't believe I was playing a mainstream game that had sold millions.

Last edited:
Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness would've been the best in the series if it was in theoven for an extra 6-12 months, seriously it has amazing puzzles, tombs, atmosphere and music but the mechanics needed the extra time, also the story was the best in the Core Designs made games.

4 is better than 3, i couldn't finish 3 as a kid it was too cryptic and the save system was BS, 4 was the most refined out of the PS1 games.

sublimit

Banned
It really is the peak of the PSone games but I felt the first section of the game went on for too long as it was mostly indoors/underground. The last third of the game was just too dark both graphically and in tone. I couldn't believe I was playing a mainstream game that had sold millions.
Well that was due to the setting they chose as well as the criticism they received from reviewers about TR2 and TR3 that they had too many urban levels in those. But actually TR3 was more darker than TR4 (at least on playstation) and especially in the London levels.Even shooting with the pistols in dark areas in order to save precious flares didn't helped much unlike in the rest of the classics where shooting in dark areas would actually light up the place.

Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness would've been the best in the series if it was in theoven for an extra 6-12 months, seriously it has amazing puzzles, tombs, atmosphere and music but the mechanics needed the extra time, also the story was the best in the Core Designs made games.

4 is better than 3, i couldn't finish 3 as a kid it was too cryptic and the save system was BS, 4 was the most refined out of the PS1 games.
AoD was extremelly ambitious but unfortunatelly due to Eidos greed (which divided an already relatively small Core Design team into two teams that worked simultaneously in 2 TR games,Chronicles and AoD) as well as Core's poor management due to the initial AoD team lacking experience the game ended up being an unfinished mess.
When i first played and didn't knew anything about what happened with Eidos and Core,i couldn't believe how the same guys who made the previous almost perfect TR games could make something as buggy and glitchy as that game. But when i learned the history behind its development everything made sense.

I also think that TR4 was the pinacle of Core Design mastering the essence of what really made Tomb Raider what it was but even though technically (and objectively) i consider it the best classic TR game i also love the variety of levels that TR2 and TR3 had. Personally i never thought that the urban levels was a problem. For me at the core of the game it didn't really mattered whether Lara climbed or jumped on crates,rooftops or on ancient columns and tombs. What mattered was HOW she did that,and at the heart of that was the Grid engine which offered manual calculated precision that rewarded the player for his/her perception and skill.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Angel of Darkness is the only TR game I haven’t played. Maybe I should give it a try to see how big of a wreck it is. I picked up a PS2 copy awhile back for a few bucks.

base

Banned
To sum all of it. I miss the old Lara.

After 20 years I still think she died in the Great Pyramide. I truly miss Core Design

I agree with the point on Underworld. I felt at that point they were just starting to get what Tomb Raider was all about. I still to this day, however, can’t make my mind up on how I feel about brining Natla back.

I remember there were users on the Tomb Raider forums, back in the day, suggesting that it would be so good if Natla came back almost 2 years before the actual game was released. I dismissed it at the time as I thought it would be a lazy plot line and Crystal would prefer to go for something original, but how wrong I was.

I have played the first two games of the reboot trilogy. One of the best bits about them is definitely the combat, but other than that they felt a bit hollow. The side missions killed me In Rise of the Tomb Raider though. I couldn’t go back and platinum the game, I had to just get it finished and out the way. Also, it bothers me that I couldn’t wield her iconic dual pistols.

I don’t know what it would take for me to really fall in love with Tomb Raider again. It is one of those games that I will always look back at through rose-tinted specs, because they were such magnificent games for their time. I very rarely enjoy replaying old games, but it is the one series I make an exception for.

sublimit

Banned
Angel of Darkness is the only TR game I haven’t played. Maybe I should give it a try to see how big of a wreck it is. I picked up a PS2 copy awhile back for a few bucks.

Oh you should definitely give it a chance. I also want to replay it one day. It's the only Core Design TR game i have played only once.

Still regardless of bugs and the game being left unfinished i have a strong feeling that Core Design was headed in the wrong direction with AoD a direction that the first movie was also to blame.

To sum all of it. I miss the old Lara.

After 20 years I still think she died in the Great Pyramide. I truly miss Core Design

Me too. But sadly along with true Lara the true Tomb Raider experience and gameplay died there too (even though we technically got one more last classic TR with Chronicles).

In my mind i still think she still lives somehow inside the Tomb of Horus,waiting to once again resurface in the hands of a new and capable development team worthy of Core Design's legacy.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I agree with the point on Underworld. I felt at that point they were just starting to get what Tomb Raider was all about. I still to this day, however, can’t make my mind up on how I feel about brining Natla back.

I remember there were users on the Tomb Raider forums, back in the day, suggesting that it would be so good if Natla came back almost 2 years before the actual game was released. I dismissed it at the time as I thought it would be a lazy plot line and Crystal would prefer to go for something original, but how wrong I was.
What i also hated about Underworld and its story was that they deliberately cut out content from the main game in order to sell it soon after the game's release as DLC and to make matters worse they made the DLC exclusive to Xbox360 leaving a huge part of the player base unable to get the "true" ending. That divided even more an already divided community of TR fans.
Sure in the end it didn't really mattered because DLC or not the story was just bad fan fiction anyway,just like all Crystal Dynamics TR stories are.

Core Design's stories were nothing special either but they delibirately did that because they didn't want the story (and Lara) to get in the way of what trully mattered and that was the gameplay.
The only exception to that rule was AoD and we all saw what happened. Even if it was 100% finished i strongly believe that the gameplay would have suffered when compared to the PS1 games.

Last edited:

Underworld is my favourite 👍 I think Anniversary lost some of the sense of scale of the original PS1 game, possibly because the textures were a lot cleaner and therefore left less to the imagination.

TexMex

Absolutely love the original TR games through Chronicles.

TLR has always been my least favorite though. I found it really boring so I never made it too far. The love in this thread makes me want to try it again.

Cool video.

ruvikx

Banned

Pretty much hit the nail on the head here with regards to the Crystal Dynamics titles (all of them, really).

And one of the ironies with the reboot trilogy started in 2013 was a hilarious "we're making this as gory as possible!" shock-factor grittiness... coupled with the most dumbed-down, hand holding baby level gameplay imaginable (even cover in their cover-shooter Tomb Raider game was... automated!). Everything is simply a checklist on a map & environment traversal required zero skill because Lara goes where the game wants her to go, not where she can go based on her own set of moves (hence why the distance she can jump constantly changes based upon whether the game wants her to get somewhere or not). It feels like a real on rails experience. By & large Crystal Dynamics distorted the entire concept of a Tomb Raider game until the point of not being Tomb Raider at all. Imagine a Dark Souls game where the careful timing & tactical approach to combat is replaced with button mashing? That's how Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider platforming feels versus the originals. And the less said about Crystal Lara's mommy & daddy millennial issues, the better (puke worthy narratives in all of them).

Tomb Raider was about analysing the distances between jumps, reading the environment (i.e. can I get up there?), learning how to control Lara's moveset & finding keys to unlock areas. Levels could be linear or expansive, the principles of that progression would remain. And every new area had a special sense of awe & discovery (i.e. with a sense of real freedom). It was like a real adventurer simulator where the actual physics of character movement & acrobatic abilities played a role (that's how any prospective reboot of the series should approach the game in any case). No skill tree, no gruesome takedowns, just an athletic adventurer exploring ancient tombs, ruined cities & exotic locations with skills the player understood which defined what Lara could or couldn't do in the environment (i.e. where she could climb etc. based on her programmed abilities).

Appealing to gamers who want to stab enemies in the neck with an army knife... but can't cope with a difficult backflip jump + timed slide & leap to another platform was never a good idea.

Tazzu

Well that was due to the setting they chose as well as the criticism they received from reviewers about TR2 and TR3 that they had too many urban levels in those. But actually TR3 was more darker than TR4 (at least on playstation) and especially in the London levels.Even shooting with the pistols in dark areas in order to save precious flares didn't helped much unlike in the rest of the classics where shooting in dark areas would actually light up the place.
Like I said, I was referring to the tone and feel of the game. It really went into a dark and creepy sort of vibe. The levels where you are out in the open moving between levels are peak PSone TR though.

Orta

Banned
There has never been a Tomb Raider game as good as the original. The level design, the scale, atmosphere, incidental music and sense of utter isolation is unmatched. The Last Revelation was the closest any game came to it but that too just didn't compare.

It's easy to retrospectively fault TR1 due to the rigid grid system but take it out and you've got TR Anniversary, a nice game in its own right but a dumbed down version sorely lacking the raw edge and sense of 'one wrong step and you are dead' the original had in buckets.

It was and is a fantastic iconic game. I remember Edge magazine reviewing it at the time and they cursed Core Designs luck that if it hadn't launched around the same time as Mario 64, Lara Croft would have been receiving the plaudits Nintendo's game got instead.

I know which of the two I preferred anyway.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Never played TLR; just tried 3 on a PSX emulator but didn’t even finish the first level. But that first slope was already telling of what lay ahead, lol.

I replayed TR1 and 2 on Steam about 3 years ago, after having played both on PlayStation in the 90s. 1 is a fantastic game. 2 is good, but I couldn’t enjoy it on PS because of the obscene difficulty coupled with long, long loading times. Insta-save and load on PC makes them the games they were always supposed to be. And, well, those Floating Islands were never great...

Anniversary is possibly the greatest video game remake ever.

(pls refrain from tut-tutting me and mention the REmake or anything else, I don’t want to derail the thread!)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
1 and 4 are great games. 4 would have been even better if it didn't try to keep some of the meh gameplay they added in previous entries, like the slow and clunky climbing and crawling stuff, but other than that it went back to what made the first great. Tomb raiding, not spy action thriller shit.

Sample it in your browser as a demo if you don't have it :D

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Exploring these complicated levels was the most fun part of these games. So many secrets to find, it was awesome !

But nowadays, I would rather play them again with a quick-save feature (or a rewind feature), to avoid having to redo everything each time I die. Because when exploring, and trying things, I die very often.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Omg, the memories !!

Yes I love them (Legend a little bit less but I still like it) and as NeoIkaruGAF NeoIkaruGAF say, Anniversary is one of the (if not THE) best remake ever made.

I'm more curious to see if people loved Shadow of the Tomb Raider, as it was the best game of the reboot for me. It really feel like a back to basics and I loved that.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
i think tomb raider 3 was the superior one compared to the fourth one.......remember that swamp level at the start......the game was actually the most challenging out of the first 4 games

base

Banned
I still remember advert from 90s. Buy the newest AMD K6-2 with 3DNow! Tomb Raider was using it back then. Good old times when Lara's boobies were that real byt much more controversial than now with hiperultra graphics :D

Those triangles made me naughty heh

Top Bottom