• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation’s 3.50 system software update out tomorrow

So those that are familiar with the update, how do Events work? When the folks you invite start the game, do they automatically join the party, or do you have to reinvite them? I'm wondering because I want to create events for communities, and I want it to be a pleasant experience and not a failed experience lol.

jeffram

I'm a little suprised that so many folk seem to be having issues with remote play.

Local network, Asus DSL-AC68U, Wired PS4 (Gb) with Laptop on Wireless (54g). 720/60 with what looks to be 1 frame delay. Same as I get with the android app on my phone and that's 802.11ac.
I have a similar set up, but there's noticeable lag.

PS4 wired with gigabit
Macbook Pro with AC on the same router

Synless

So wait, you have to select what friends to pop up before it works? I noticed it said no friends selected. I wonder how many people won't realize this feature is even there now.

DieH@rd

Banned
The biggest thing I miss from PC Remote Play is the abbility to use keyboard to type messages. They should at least use some shortcut that activates "second screen" typing from within RP app.

what ever it is its annoying because i can play destiny all day long on my tablet remote on xbox one even PVP yet just doing patrol on PSremote play is headache inducing.
It's a shame, because they use the exact same technology by AMD (VCE/UVD).

720p60 capped at 10 Mbps bitrate (variable), while XB1 goes up to 15-20 Mbps 1080p60 with an inferior APU and slower RAM.

Hell, even Wii U streaming goes up to 40 Mbps at 480p only!

MrBenchmark

It's a shame, because they use the exact same technology by AMD (VCE/UVD).

720p60 capped at 10 Mbps bitrate (variable), while XB1 goes up to 15-20 Mbps 1080p60 with an inferior APU and slower RAM.

Hell, even Wii U streaming goes up to 40 Mbps at 480p only!

the screen shots i posted on the last page are the xbox one app on highest quality setting and the playstation app running 540p 30 fps and one is playable the other gives headaches!

Andrefpvs

This update slightly changes the way trophy screenshots work (gives me hope they'll someday allow us to sync them online):

• Now even if you have trophy notifications disabled, the resulting screenshot will have the trophy notification superimposed on it.
  • Also, the screenshot is now taken at the exact moment the trophy unlocks, and not at the moment the full notification appears (or would appear) on the screen. This generally results in screenshots being taken 1-2 seconds earlier than in previous firmwares.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Back in the update.
Well, then I believe you got to

Simply go to your library and scroll to apps beginning with "U" and you'll find it!! You can play music and skip through albums without suspending your game, as it was before Sony got rid of it a while back! Of all the amazing features this update has, this made my day lol!

do that

Piku_Ringo

Banned
This update slightly changes the way trophy screenshots work (gives me hope they'll someday allow us to sync them online):

• Now even if you have trophy notifications disabled, the resulting screenshot will have the trophy notification superimposed on it.
  • Also, the screenshot is now taken at the exact moment the trophy unlocks, and not at the moment the full notification appears (or would appear) on the screen. This generally results in screenshots being taken 1-2 seconds earlier than in previous firmwares.
So basically the trophy screenshot is more than likely to be pictures of loading screens even more so now?

Massa

Looks like it knows when you're online in a different device. This is what happens when the PS4 is set to appear offline but the Vita is online:

bXqKgbe.jpg

tonypark

Events are cool but when i try to create one i can't find some of my games. (Resident evil 6) for exemple. Is it a bug or?
Also would be nice to be able to sort or search for them...

Yeah, noticed that speeds are now actually showing what we usually get too. Wonder if it is related to the larger pc/mac remote play launch

Femto.

I'm not sure if it's an issue for others but my NAT type just became Type 3 after the PSN Update. It used to be Type 2.

Mine changed from Type 2 to Type 3 as well.

Going to try port forwarding the proper ports.

Edit:

Well this is odd, before doing anything I powered off my PS4, powered it back on, re-set up my internet connection, and it's type 2 again.

That's just natural. When Sony switched the network to 3.50 required, millions of PS4s were instantly disconnected. Many of these haven't installed the update yet, so the network is just much less crowded for a very short while. It will become the same as before in a matter of minutes to hours.
Hasn't became the same nearly 11 hours later and my download speeds are still higher then they have ever been. I just downloaded the 8gb battleborn beta in 12 minutes.

MrBenchmark

Ok I'm back. But it isn't all piss and vinegar. SO whatever the vita and PSTV new update did friggin remote play is working like a champ on my PSTV's the stream on my tablet still suck but it looks like the app is a hog. And the desktop it's pretty good. So I don't know what they did on the vita and PSTV but Sony - don't touch it! Ran all my bounties on my PSTV and had zero issues its been a LONG time since I could say that.

Kevitivity

Remote play is working great for me on 720/60 via my MacBook Pro, wired. Watching Activity Monitor I can see that Remote play is almost entire dependent on your network speed as CPU usage never seems to go above %12 when playing Fallout.

Remote play is working great for me on 720/60 via my MacBook Pro, wired. Watching Activity Monitor I can see that Remote play is almost entire dependent on your network speed as CPU usage never seems to go above %12 when playing Fallout.

Same here. I was playing Fallout 4 this morning. It hiccuped briefly just once, but other than that it's been pretty smooth. My connection to the PS4 is wired, but the Macbook is wireless.

anddo0

Getting 720p/60fps consistently... NBA2K16 is more than playable, DOAX3 looks amazing even at 720p on a 17" screen.

PS4 to PC is by far the best implantation of remote play I've used (Z3,Z5, Tablet Z, Xperia Z4 and Vita). PC is the best followed by Vita and Xperia Z4.

I'm purchasing an extended ethernet cord to see how it performs fully local.

I've seen a lot of people mistaking the new network speed test results for actual PSN speed increases. Actual PSN speed is unchanged as of 3.50, all they've done is update the network speed test itself so that it actually reports the correct results now.

I'm on a 110Mbps connection (basically 14 MB/s). Previously the network speed test reported 70Mbps for my connection, but my actual transfer speeds on PSN were 110Mbps (i.e. 14 MB/s). The PSN was properly maxing my connection, irrespective of what the network speed test returned.

After 3.50 the network speed test properly reports 110Mbps for my connection. Obviously actual PSN speeds haven't increased though, because they can't: I was already getting the max for my connection.

Melchiah

I've seen a lot of people mistaking the new network speed test results for actual PSN speed increases. Actual PSN speed is unchanged as of 3.50, all they've done is update the network speed test itself so that it actually reports the correct results now.

I'm on a 110Mbps connection (basically 14 MB/s). Previously the network speed test reported 70Mbps for my connection, but my actual transfer speeds on PSN were 110Mbps (i.e. 14 MB/s). The PSN was properly maxing my connection, irrespective of what the network speed test returned.

After 3.50 the network speed test properly reports 110Mbps for my connection. Obviously actual PSN speeds haven't increased though, because they can't: I was already getting the max for my connection.

Just checked how it's in practise, and you're right, it seems to be about the same as before.

TtPsGRnl.jpg

Yes, this is my experience as well. PSN was always maxing out my connection (except for those cases where it just crawls at a few kbps), but the speet test values were pretty much completely made up. Now it's at least closer

I think he means that, even if you set your account to appear offline, if you play the division, for example, your friends are going to see you online in the menu of the game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played DMC4:SE on my PC remote play and it did well. At first my connection dropped and I'm on DSL wireless. It streamed much better than my Steam Link did, which surprised me.

rikesan

Neo Member
With the new Remote Play for PC/Mac, I was able to "resurrect" my PS4 with a broken HDMI (lightning struck nearby and burned it down).

If you're wondering how I was able to set up remote play with no video: I used the optical sound output to receive feedback of what I was doing. If you know where things are in the UI, you can still control it knowing what you're actually doing. In this case I needed to set up that old ps4 as my primary ps4 so the app could find it. Once you're hooked up, you can deactivate the ps4 and you're still able to connect it directly (if it's in the same home network).

Thought I'd share this little story here, in case anyone has a problem like that in the future. 720p/30fps still better than nothing at all :)

Zaki2407

What the he** happen with PSN right now? I'm downloading the latest firmware for an hour but still not finished yet. It's just 300mb....arrrgggg.....

TsuWave

I think he means that, even if you set your account to appear offline, if you play the division, for example, your friends are going to see you online in the menu of the game.

yes, you're correct. however, the division is a bad example because it actually shows you offline if you set your status to offline on your ps4. other games might not though.

Carn82

yes, you're correct. however, the division is a bad example because it actually shows you offline if you set your status to offline on your ps4. other games might not though.

Yeah, it's probably a per-game difference; unless Sony makes support mandatory for all games. Maybe it will also work in Destiny afther the upcoming update.

FZW

So wait, you have to select what friends to pop up before it works? I noticed it said no friends selected. I wonder how many people won't realize this feature is even there now.

and what about when you add a new friend? do you have to manually go add them to the online notification list?

j-wood

Guys, the event thing is so fucking cool.

Auto launching the game and adding everyone that registered to a party? Amazing. Best feature on the PS4 now.

j-wood

Just what I wanted to hear. Sounds great.

Yeah man, in case no one has tried here, here is the highlights:

1. Create a name and description for the event
2. Choose a time, and a duration
3. Choose a game
4. Choose max number of people that can register
5. Invite friends (can also invite communities)
6. Choose if you want to auto join or not

Here is the best part. If you choose auto join, the PS4 will lauch the game for you, and auto add all registered members to a party chat at the event start time. If your PS4 is in rest mode at the event start time? No problem, it will boot up and still do all the above. How fucking awesome is that?

Pejo

Tried out some in-home PC remote play to my surface book last night, and it worked great. I had a few glitchy sound issues but it was as responsive as Vita remote play. I'm going on a trip this weekend, so I'm excited to see how it plays from an external connection.

Here is the best part. If you choose auto join, the PS4 will lauch the game for you, and auto add all registered members to a party chat at the event start time. If your PS4 is in rest mode at the event start time? No problem, it will boot up and still do all the above. How fucking awesome is that?

That's pretty cool. And with remote play, I guess we can set it all up at work then come home and it's all waiting.

Top Bottom