• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation ‘is working on a counterpunch to Xbox Game Pass’, claims David Jaffe

Pantz

Gold Member
I realize this is probably a personal thing, but if I remember right majority of those were not available day one on gp. If the stuff isn’t day one it kinda loses the utility for me, at least in terms of the games I’m legitimately excited for (ie. not the “average” games). For example I’m not going to wait 4 months for a game like GTA6 to come to game pass before playing it. Subjective, but for me the majority of games that come to GP day one are average...exceptions I can think of being Crusader Kings, Outer Worlds, Forza.

another problem I had was dlc not being included. Needs to be full games, not buying add on content for a base game that can get removed.
for the price of those just those 3 games, you just bought a year+ of game pass

longdi

Banned
You know what im concern with this 'counterpunch', jim ryan thinking GP is all about "streaming"... and approaching as such....

when in reality, GP is really an 'unlimited' rental service, downloading your games and playing locally.

sainraja

If Sony does re-brand PS now or make it more competitive to position it better when compared with Game Pass. I just hope that it doesn't turn into a new form of console warring because we're going to see people calling each other out unnecessarily and childishly.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
You know what im concern with this 'counterpunch', jim ryan thinking GP is all about "streaming"... and approaching as such....

when in reality, GP is really an 'unlimited' rental service, downloading your games and playing locally.
It'll take time and money to make BC games run better or in the case of PS3 and previous at all.

Both Time and Money cut into his bonus, so he doesn't have much of either of those.

MS didn't get BC and Smart Delivery working overnight. It will take years for PS to get those features even up to where MS is right now.

So I doubt they will put any effort into it.

It's a far fetch dream of Sony enhancing bc games to 4k 60 fps I mean who wouldn't want jak and daxter series or the old mgs games enhanced and then offering those in their gamepass , but chances of that happening is less than 0

for the price of those just those 3 games, you just bought a year+ of game pass

Not really. Those are old games. You can buy them for cheap or second hand.

If you're the kind of gamer that plays his game for a period of time, gamepass is not worth it. Owning them and then reselling is the better option. You get to play the games you want, when you want. You don't have to rush finishing a game because your sub is about to end or that the game will soon be removed.

Like I've been saying many times, gamepass will only really find value with gamers who have a lot of time in their hands to play a lot of games. And that still needs to be qualified. There are many gamers who have a lot of time to play a lot of games but are only addicted to certain games. Fifa players, Cod, free-to-play gamers for example, these gamers play their games for months and months if not years with occasional game or two here and there.

longdi

Banned
It'll take time and money to make BC games run better or in the case of PS3 and previous at all.

Both Time and Money cut into his bonus, so he doesn't have much of either of those.

MS didn't get BC and Smart Delivery working overnight. It will take years for PS to get those features even up to where MS is right now.

So I doubt they will put any effort into it.

Yes it shows.
Jimbo started and spent his first 6 years at SCEE as their financial officer.
Mr Jim is likely an accountant, penny pincher. :messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

When you dont put a product person as your CEO of a business that is about tech, fun and games.... often things will deteoriate shortly.

I like Sony's approach to PSNow. It's only $60 and it only serves as supplemental, not the primary way to consume games.

If a gamer from a Sony camp wants to play games as many as the xbox gamepass subscriber, he can do that for only $60.

Last edited:

Pantz

Gold Member

If you're the kind of gamer that plays his game for a period of time, gamepass is not worth it. Owning them and then reselling is the better option. You get to play the games you want, when you want. You don't have to rush finishing a game because your sub is about to end or that the game will soon be removed.

Like I've been saying many times, gamepass will only really find value with gamers who have a lot of time in their hands to play a lot of games. And that still needs to be qualified. There are many gamers who have a lot of time to play a lot of games but are only addicted to certain games. Fifa players, Cod, free-to-play gamers for example, these gamers play their games for months and months if not years with occasional game or two here and there.
they were talking about day 1 games so day 1 prices

Kagey K

Banned

If you're the kind of gamer that plays his game for a period of time, gamepass is not worth it. Owning them and then reselling is the better option. You get to play the games you want, when you want.
The longer you hold the game the worse the resell price gets, so you are still rushing through the game to try to get top dollar, and then you have to factor in your time and extra costs that come with reselling the game.

I lost a pair of Galaxy buds last weekend, I know exactly where they are, but I bought a second set because it was cheaper for me than driving 5 hours round trip to get them.

At what point do you decide your time is valueless? Because anything over 2 hours to sell I lost money. At 69.99

Last edited:
The longer you hold the game the worse the resell price gets, so you are still rushing through the game to try to get top dollar, and then you have to factor in your time and extra costs that come with reselling the game.

You still get to choose the game you want to play, and for how long you want to play them. Reselling is just an option.

If the premise is which one will save you more money, sure it could be gamepass. If you want to play a game that is release day 1 on gamepass, you can save money by subscribing and unsubscribing afterwards.

Kagey K

Banned
You still get to choose the game you want to play, and for how long you want to play them. Reselling is just an option.

If the premise is which one will save you more money, sure it could be gamepass. If you want to play a game that is release day 1 on gamepass, you can save money by subscribing and unsubscribing afterwards.
At the same time if many games you want to play show up on gamepass, you can save money not buying those and then buying one you actually want to keep after you are done.

For instance Outriders and MLB, you are already almost at a full year of Gamepass money and still have 8 months of games to come. There are sure to be 1 or 2 more games you wanted to play and the rest us a bonus.

At the same time if many games you want to play show up on gamepass, you can save money not buying those and then buying one you actually want to keep after you are done.

For instance Outriders and MLB, you are already almost at a full year of Gamepass money and still have 8 months of games to come. There are sure to be 1 or 2 more games you wanted to play and the rest us a bonus.

Sure. If I wanted to play something on gamepass I'd subscribe for a month and then unsubscribe. But for old games, I'd rather find a sale unless I have no job and have a lot of time to play too many games in a month. In that case, gamepass is so worth it. In that scenario, PSNow is even more worth it for $60.

If I were in my highschool days or even college days, I may subscribe to gamepass using the $1 method. But for it's $15/month, it's a hard sell when you have other games you want to play. It doesn't matter how many games they have there if the game you want to play is not there, or the game you want to play (in case of Fifa, Cod, players, free-to-play games) you play them for months and months. $15 stacked up for months would cost a cod or fifa player more than he would pay by just buying the game.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Sure. If I wanted to play something on gamepass I'd subscribe for a month and then unsubscribe. But for old games, I'd rather find a sale.

If I were in my highschool days or even college days, I may subscribe to gamepass using the $1 method. But for it's $15/month, it's a hard sell when you have other games you want to play. It doesn't matter how many games they have there if the game you want to play is not there, or the game you want to play (in case of Fifa, Cod, players, free-to-play games) you play them for months and months. $15 stacked up for months would cost a cod or fifa player more than he would pay by just buying the game.
With Fifa you get the game for free plus you get a discount on all the bullshit card packs you buy.

That 10% can add up to a lot of money for some of these Fifa whales. They make more tan their subscription costs on savings alone.

Bad example.

With Fifa you get the game for free plus you get a discount on all the bullshit card packs you buy.

That 10% can add up to a lot of money for some of these Fifa whales. They make more tan their subscription costs on savings alone.

Bad example.

You only have to play FiFa for 4 months and then you already paid $60. lol Buying the game let's the fifa players play the game as long as they want.

You can only say it's working for now because of the $1 trick. :messenger_winking:

Kagey K

Banned
You only have to play FiFa for 4 months and then you already paid $60. lol Buying the game let's the fifa players play the game as long as they want.

You can only say it's working for now because of the $1 trick. :messenger_winking:
I'm saying the whales will save more from being subscribed then the gane and subscription together cost.

Plus they might accidentally find PES or another gane they are interested in. You can't play the same thing forever.

Kagey K

Banned

The 1 dollar trick is running out soon for the early adopters, so you expect a sharp drop in subscribers?

odhiex

Well, EA Play is also on Playstation with a separate subscription. It is cheap if you can get it on sale.

I am still not interested in getting it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Nintendo is the current market leader.

Xbox is sowing seeds at the moment, will harvest the results later.

Playstation is desperate to find a way to keep the money flowing in. Currently, they're not doing a good job.
Okay, so the company who recorded the highest revenue and growth in the history of gaming industry, recorded their highest operating profit in the history of the company, recorded the biggest console launch in the history of the video gaming industry is "not doing a good job."

The company that is in the last place and doesn't even release numbers like operating profit because they still don't make any profit is the one that is winning?

What's up with this doom-and-gloom conspiracy theories? Is this the new cool thing on the internet?

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
Well, EA Play is also on Playstation with a separate subscription. It is cheap if you can get it on sale.

I am still not interested in getting it.
EA Access on PS5 is very limited compared to EA Access on Xbox.

The whole point about owning games and not rushing is a moot point these days, the fact is we are living in an unprecidented era of economic woe due to the pandemic. Reselling means people will either try and buy your game for cheap or shops will rip you off. No thanks.

But I disagree that just because you have a game on GP means you have to rush it. The majority of games on the service stay for many months. More games stay on then taken off.

Besides now that MS owns Bethesda you have their back catalog on GP AND all future releases as day 1 GP exclusives.

What does Sony have to compete? £70 games that instantly lose their value the moment you buy them? I just feel the whole anti GP argument is very shakey these days.

As for AAA story driven games on GP? I'd give it time. With the amount of studios MS have been buying it's just a matter of time.

Last edited:

odhiex

EA Access on PS5 is very limited compared to EA Access on Xbox.

The whole point about owning games and not rushing is a moot point these days, the fact is we are living in an unprecidented era of economic woe due to the pandemic. Reselling means people will either try and buy your game for cheap or shops will rip you off. No thanks.

But I disagree that just because you have a game on GP means you have to rush it. The majority of games on the service stay for many months. More games stay on then taken off.

Besides now that MS owns Bethesda you have their back catalog on GP AND all future releases as day 1 GP exclusives.

What does Sony have to compete? £70 games that instantly lose their value the moment you buy them? I just feel the whole anti GP argument is very shakey these days.

As for AAA story driven games on GP? I'd give it time. With the amount of studios MS have been buying it's just a matter of time.
Yes, if you count those XBOX 360 games because Playstation cannot play PS3 games via backward compatibility.

All I am trying to say is that "peoples value things differently".

1. Some people values owning physical games, I don't really.
2. Some people like to buy/pre-order games (MSRP price) at launch, I mostly bought games on sales and maybe pre-ordered 2-3 games per year (depending how hype I am)
3. Some people do love subscriptions, I kinda neutral on that. It's good and accesible, but I'd rather play games that I want to play rather than see what's on the menu first... similar to foods hahaha.

You are not wrong if you don't agree with me. I would likely be preordering the next God of War game, as soon as Sony put up the pre-order page. Nothing stops people in buying Nintendo games at full price also.

P.s. I am looking forward for the fruitful outcomes of the new studios that Microsoft purchased in the last couple years. I am also heavily consider of buying my first XBOX console.

Last edited:

vivftp

Okay, so the company who recorded the highest revenue and growth in the history of gaming industry, recorded their highest operating profit in the history of the company, recorded the biggest console launch in the history of the video gaming industry is "not doing a good job."

The company that is in the last place and doesn't even release numbers like operating profit because they still don't make any profit is the one that is winning?

What's up with this doom-and-gloom conspiracy theories? Is this the new cool thing on the internet?

Folks living in a bubble. Narratives get crafted and echo chambered to death.

If folks are happy with MS's strategy then great, but those folks predicting doom for Sony are hopelessly out of touch with reality.

There's a lot of assuming that Game Pass will massively grow to high tens or hundreds of millions of subscribers, but they've got a long way to go to even break past the active userbase of the Xbox One console. They're off to a good start with 18 million or so subscribers, but personally I'd love to see how many of these numbers are cannibalized XBL Gold subscribers who converted over using the promo and how many are newcomers to the ecosystem. If this is the future of the industry then that would be very helpful in determining how effective the model is. Unfortunately we will never get such a breakdown so it's harder to judge how effective it is at attracting new people to the ecosystem until they surpass the Xbox One sales numbers.

As for Sony, they've consistently got home consoles above 100 million units each gen with 1 exception. Their big blockbusters continue to break records and they've got multiple 10+ million selling franchises. They're invested in VR and cloud gaming and everything we know says those focuses will only grow going forward. They've got the largest gaming sub around with PS Plus at nearly 50 million users and it's been growing at a steady pace. They're testing putting some of their IP on PC and that focus seems to be growing. They're expanding the scope of their gaming IP by working on multiple TV show and movie projects. They've been growing the headcount of PlayStation Studios and are continuing to hire across the board.

Predicting doom and gloom for Sony when they're in such a strong position globally is outright hilarious.

As for Jaffe's comments, well Jim Ryan basically said the same thing in November that they're working on something. My guess is this will tie into the PS Now revamp that we know is being worked on. So now we wait and see what happens.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Forget last gen numbers, like I said, the generation has just begun and both have yet to prove anything.

Sony has already started with the left foot.
I disagree. How have they started with the wrong foot here?
  • They released a console that is outperforming the competitor's platform which was supposed to be "the most powerful console in the world".
  • They are the only company actually releasing next-gen exclusive games. They have already released 4 next-gen exclusive PlayStation Studios games, and 2 more are releasing in the next 3 months.
  • They just recorded the best console launch in the history of gaming industry.
  • They also just closed their best-ever quarter in the history of their company.
They really couldn't have started any better.

cireza

Knowing Sony, and according to their past actions, their answer will probably be to offer exactly the same service.

I really like Gamepass, but I think people are overestimating it’s importance and impact. I feel PSNow with a few adjustments can be a very comparable service if Sony really focuses on it. Yes, Gamepass does get first party and Bethesda games day one, but honestly it does get it’s fair share of older games and less popular games with a decent amount of newer games. Now if GP got more third party games day one or close to it, then it would be trouble for Sony imo.

People say, it’s better than buying new games, but do people really want to rely on or wait for a subscription service to get the newer games they want to play now? I definitely see the appeal of Gamepass, but I don’t understand this Sony is doomed with no “Gamepass-equivalent” mentality. I don’t mind that all 3 companies have somewhat of a different approach to gaming I suppose.

Last edited:

Outrunner

I disagree. How have they started with the wrong foot here?
  • They released a console that is outperforming the competitor's platform which was supposed to be "the most powerful console in the world".
  • They are the only company actually releasing next-gen exclusive games. They have already released 4 next-gen exclusive PlayStation Studios games, and 2 more are releasing in the next 3 months.
  • They just recorded the best console launch in the history of gaming industry.
  • They also just closed their best-ever quarter in the history of their company.
They really couldn't have started any better.
How dare you? Xbox fans and 'insiders' assure me that PlayStation is doomed

RAIDEN1

I think having PS1, PS2 and PS3 games is actually a great thing for psnow
What I am suprised about that it hasn't been raised in the forums here yet is that Sony's consoles (aside from PS5 from now...) are literally ticking time bombs for digital purchases going forward....as I mentioned elsewhere outside of shutting down the PSN store, digital purchases will be useless unless the company does something about it....this goes into more detail about what I am on about:

Smoke6

I thought it wasn't sustainable?
It’s not! Why do y’all keep saying this as if you’re capable of proving otherwise in a realistic fashion?

this service is a desperation move and they had to swallow it and follow it through until the big guy says enough already!

there’s no fucking way a console with the ecosystem it has (360-SeX) should only be at 20mil subs when it’s almost 200mil consoles in that ecosystem give or take a few mil!

you can’t mix gaming logic with fanboy logic and think that’s business logic at the same time!

so I would like your response to tell me how is this sustainable in your eyes since YOU made the comment!

gears5 costed over $100mil

halo exceeding $500mil

Bethesda $7-8bil

outriders whatever dev costs were and some profit $40mil

all the games on game pass and none are generating any revenue at all! All I see is people doing this $1. Trick for subs for the service and come here like you as of the service is the all be all service!

we know damn well of Xbox dropped gamepass y’all would get xboxes anymore as there studio output has been abysmal for quite a while now and that powerful console crap been out the window long ago!

so please explain how do you recoup just the few games and items I posted from a service they’re not even being straight up about financially to even give people a general idea of how well or bad it’s doing if it’s that great and sustainable?

yes they have all the money in the world a day company but like all companies, they just don’t throw away money for the hell of it!

the floor is yours bro, this is another staddia situation that’s playing out a little longer or they’re trying to be a mega publisher before they bow out of the console biz

Jokerevo

Banned
they don't have the 1st party library or money to build a library to sustain a gamepass model. i'd like to see Sony drop ~$7-10 billion acquiring somebody....anybody....

microsoft done that and it hardly made a dent in their valuation. it's a rounding error to them.
MS have had all this money and are yet to win a single gen and cannot even outsell the 720p machine...instead of taking that money and investing it in a new stable of IP following the 360 era they say on their hands and thought that people would automatically jump to the next xbox....

It's the games. It's always been about the games. When will MS realise that they need to cultivate their own studios and games, something they should have been doing since last gen.

The Alien

Banned
I dunno what Sony is waiting for. This hasn't be a secret...its been a thing for a few years now.

I think this is where Sony might get into some trouble...especially if they go mild on their version. Microsoft will flex its money buying streaming exclusives and Day One for games. Rumors of bigger deals than Outriders and The Show are floating.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I dunno what Sony is waiting for. This hasn't be a secret...its been a thing for a few years now.

I think this is where Sony might get into some trouble...especially if they go mild on their version. Microsoft will flex its money buying streaming exclusives and Day One for games. Rumors of bigger deals than Outriders and The Show are floating.
I can imagine Sony locking down co-marketing deal for GTA6 with timed-exclusive content. But then MS going to 2K/R* and giving them a boatload of cash to launch it on Gamepass. Sony need to get their contracts water-tight with regards to Gamepass to avoid such issues.

Shanomatic

there’s no fucking way a console with the ecosystem it has (360-SeX) should only be at 20mil subs when it’s almost 200mil consoles in that ecosystem give or take a few mil!
Don' know what your metric for success here is, but by all accounts ~20,000,000 subs to a subscription service in ~4 years, especially when mired with the "no gamez" accusation is pretty incredible.
you can’t mix gaming logic with fanboy logic and think that’s business logic at the same time!
Completely agree, which makes you doing so here doubly confusing.
so I would like your response to tell me how is this sustainable in your eyes since YOU made the comment!

gears5 costed over $100mil

halo exceeding $500mil

Bethesda $7-8bil

outriders whatever dev costs were and some profit $40mil
So, taking a conservative estimate of all ~20,000,000 GamePass subscribers paying $10 a month, that's $2,400,000,000 in revenue. Of course money had to go to third party deals and overhead, but the idea that you can't fund a $100,000,000 dollar game, or several for that matter, with those numbers and not make money is just not true.
all the games on game pass and none are generating any revenue at all! All I see is people doing this $1. Trick for subs for the service and come here like you as of the service is the all be all service!
Again, this is not true. Games are actually unique in that many, if not most, have long-term revenue generating potential with things like DLC and Microtransactions; hell, GamePass might increase the money you get from those since the pool of potential players is so large. I predict Microsoft, EA, and Take-Two Interactive are all watching very close to how much money The Show makes on GamePass. Further, if you think everyone is doing the 1$ trick, then you need to step out of your bubble. Even if a substantial amount of people are doing that, it's not literally 1$; loading 3 years of Gold and converting still leaves you paying $5 dollars a month when you do the math. Getting people subscribed is the hardest part; keeping them is comparatively easy.
we know damn well of Xbox dropped gamepass y’all would get xboxes anymore as there studio output has been abysmal for quite a while now and that powerful console crap been out the window long ago!
I agree, studio output has been pretty bad for a while now; it's the reason I didn't buy an Xbox One, haven't bought a Series X, and am not even subscribed to GamePass. As for the power thing, I don't keep up with most of the Comparison threads, but from what I understand they've been either even or with an advantage to Xbox for a bit now, so I'm not sure what you're implying here.
so please explain how do you recoup just the few games and items I posted from a service they’re not even being straight up about financially to even give people a general idea of how well or bad it’s doing if it’s that great and sustainable?

yes they have all the money in the world a day company but like all companies, they just don’t throw away money for the hell of it!

the floor is yours bro, this is another staddia situation that’s playing out a little longer or they’re trying to be a mega publisher before they bow out of the console biz
The "Microsoft is going 3rd Party!" should be a meme at this point for how many times it's parroted. Whether you like it or not, Microsoft has a very clear vision and goal with Xbox, one they seem to be satisfied with given how much investment it's received over the last 4 years; they're not gonna just bow out and go 3rd Party no matter how much you want them to. Hell if it turns out well I might actually buy an Xbox at some point, but the idea that the GamePass model is a complete money sink and a "desperation move," especially when its in line with where Microsoft as a whole has been pivoting for a while now, is insanity.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Don' know what your metric for success here is, but by all accounts ~20,000,000 subs to a subscription service in ~4 years, especially when mired with the "no gamez" accusation is pretty incredible.

Completely agree, which makes you doing so here doubly confusing.

So, taking a conservative estimate of all ~20,000,000 GamePass subscribers paying $10 a month, that's $2,400,000,000 in revenue. Of course money had to go to third party deals and overhead, but the idea that you can't fund a $100,000,000 dollar game, or several for that matter, with those numbers and not make money is just not true.

Again, this is not true. Games are actually unique in that many, if not most, have long-term revenue generating potential with things like DLC and Microtransactions; hell, GamePass might increase the money you get from those since the pool of potential players is so large. I predict Microsoft, EA, and Take-Two Interactive are all watching very close to how much money The Show makes on GamePass. Further, if you think everyone is doing the 1$ trick, then you need to step out of your bubble. Even if a substantial amount of people are doing that, it's literally 1$; loading 3 years of Gold and converting still leaves you paying $5 dollars a month when you do the math. Getting people subscribed is the hardest part; keeping them is comparatively easy.

I agree, studio output has been pretty bad for a while now; it's the reason I didn't buy an Xbox One, haven't bought a Series X, and am not even subscribed to GamePass. As for the power thing, I don't keep up with most of the Comparison threads, but from what I understand they've been either even or with an advantage to Xbox for a bit now, so I'm not sure what you're implying here.

The "Microsoft is going 3rd Party!" should be a meme at this point for how many times it's parroted. Whether you like it or not, Microsoft has a very clear vision and goal with Xbox, one they seem to be satisfied with given how much investment it's received over the last 4 years; they're not gonna just bow out and go 3rd Party no matter how much you want them to. Hell if it turns out well I might actually buy an Xbox at some point, but the idea that the GamePass model is a complete money sink and a "desperation move," especially when its in line with where Microsoft as a whole has been pivoting for a while now, is insanity.

Gamepass subcribers arent paying $10 a month though. Alot of them got bought for 2 years for like $20 total or something.
And Im sure MS has spent a bucketload more on getting 3rd party games on there, new and old games.

There hasnt been an article or report stating That theres been much of a change in profit since Aaron has said its not making much profit.
Yes more subcribers, but also they are spending alot of money bring more titles over.

Shanomatic

Gamepass subcribers arent paying $10 a month though. Alot of them got bought for 2 years for like $20 total or something.
And Im sure MS has spent a bucketload more on getting 3rd party games on there, new and old games.

There hasnt been an article or report stating That theres been much of a change in profit since Aaron has said its not making much profit.
Yes more subcribers, but also they are spending alot of money bring more titles over.
If you're referring to the $1 Gold conversion deal, then 2 years would be close to $120 at the cheapest. Although, I'm not in the loop in regards to GamePass deals, so perhaps you're right. Even so, I'd be willing to bet a large majority of those who paid so little are going to stick around when they have to pay full price, its the whole reason companies with subscription services have such good deals in the beginning. As I said, getting people subscribed is much harder than keeping them subscribed.

SoraNoKuni

Not what I want.....

I want more exclusive studios and more exclusive games and just bring the prices back down to 60 for a AAA launch game and then have 40 and 50 price points for smaller games and remakes and such....

I don't want or care about a Gamepass, it makes no difference to me.
Exactly, I really like how Sony delivers it's first party experiences, I don't want them to change how they develop games.

Cloud gaming doesn't interest me at all as well, a rental subscription for older games and indies wouldn't be bad though, for the games I wouldn't bother buying but may play them if they are bundled in a subscription.

Top Bottom