• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 2 shipments in Japan cease today

JordanN

Banned
The PS2 seems so iconic, but I can't put my finger on why.
kREKk.jpg

Anth0ny

It ruled the gen where the third party exclusive was still a thing. And Japanese devs were still pumping out classic after classic.

You end up with some of the best games Capcom, Konami, Square, Namco and SCEJ have ever made. Not to mention Rockstar, Naughty Dog and SCE holding it down in the West.

What a great console.

Gamecube's better stillllllllll

Live in your world, play in ours.
Cool design and equally cool marketing. The games don't really factor into how iconic it was for me. I think even if the console had failed it would have still been an iconic product.

It had a good run, that's for sure. I'm just glad I've been able to accumulate a pretty good library over the years. There's really very little left I still need to get. Amazing library.

jsnepo

I still have mine and installed all my games to an HDD. I consider the scene behind the PS2 more interesting than the PS3.

I love the hell out of the PS2, but they certainly weren't very reliable. I am on my fifth and even bought another new slim for the day when that one dies. What a JRPG beast of a system!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The greatest console that ever was, and will probably ever will be. The amount of quality games that released for the PS2 is simply amazing.

It makes me long for the days when games were cheaper to produce so you'd end up getting a lot of quirky and fun mid-range non-AAA budget games. The War of the Monsters, the ATV Offroad Furys, the Splashdowns, the Downhill Dominations. We have the downloadable space where we can still get that kind of stuff, but those tend to be lower budget affairs. Some of my favorite PS2 titles were these kinds of games.

So glad I found a new PS2 slim in America a couple of months ago. I don't know why, but I thought they would manufacture these things and sell them to us in the first world for several more years.

Noshino

Hardware: Well designed for the most part. It was not unusual to see it on most people's living rooms thanks to the dvd player.

Software: Third party exclusives were still common, and the PS2 got the great majority of them. Sony had also been spending time on their own 1st party projects.

Marketing: The PS2 had the best marketing of any console ever. They made people not want to miss out on the experience, they had to have it.

Top Bottom