• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 25th anniversary message from Sony Interactive Entertainment president Jim Ryan

Mista

Banned
25YoP-featured.jpg

Sony Interactive Entertainment president and CEO Jim Ryan has posted a message in commemoration of the 25th anniversary of PlayStation, which is December 3 in Japan, on the PlayStation Blog.

Additionally, the PlayStation Blog teased, “Join us all week at PlayStation Blog and on our social channels for a series of celebrations.”

Find the full message below:
On December 3, 1994—25 years ago this week—the first PlayStation made its global debut in Japan. Starting from a humble beginning as an upstart within Sony, Ken Kutaragi and team delivered on a vision to elevate video games as a form of entertainment that everyone could enjoy, and to make a platform for game developers to express their creativity. The original PlayStation sold 100,000 units in Japan on its first day and went on to become the first-ever home console to surpass 100 million units sold globally.

We struck a chord with the gaming community because PlayStation offered experiences beyond what anyone could ever imagine was possible with a home console. From the very start, we opened our arms to developers, providing them with the tools and technology to create beautiful, expansive worlds, and to experiment with new ideas. That approach led to the diversity of games PlayStation is known for, a true hallmark for our brand across multiple generations of hardware platforms.

Over the past 25 years, PlayStation has stood at the forefront as gaming, and I’m honored to have been a part of the team since the early days. As I was helping set up the business in Europe, I remember having to start from scratch with many things, from hiring employees to ordering furniture. Back then, we focused on catering to local markets to ensure that a gamer in Poland would feel a part of the broader PlayStation community just as much as someone in the UK, or Japan, or the U.S. Supported by passionate fans all around the world, our business has grown significantly and our focus on community is more important than ever.

It’s truly humbling to see fans who grew up on PlayStation passing down their love of gaming to their children, who are now playing on PS4.

On behalf of all of us at PlayStation—thank you for taking this journey with us. We can’t wait to celebrate what comes next with you!
Gematsu

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I remember it like yesterday. Rented one from Blockbuster for a few days when it came out, then the day after Christmas I found a Toys R Us that had one left, everywhere else was sold out. Went there with cash from Christmas and money I put to the side, walked out with it along with Tekken & NFL Gameday.

24 years later, woof!

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ultra facts! That demo blew my mind.

The bass that pumped out of the kiosk for that demo drew people to it like flies in the toy stores.

I remember being amazed at how smooth it was. My eyes were opening to higher framerates for 3D games around that time.

Fake

My first playstation experience was playing Resident Evil 1 japanese version opening color without cut.

Zero7

Mine still works like a trooper from Xmas 1996. Happy birthday playstation, we've been together through my childhood, teens and adulthood may we be together for many more years.

Digity

Mine still works like a trooper from Xmas 1996. Happy birthday playstation, we've been together through my childhood, teens and adulthood may we be together for many more years.
Oh fuck ya bud, still got my OG Ps1 hooked up to a nice CRT haha.

DonF

Can't wait for ps5.

I've owned every playstation except for the vita.
I have to say that the one I used the least was the ps3, that gen I went full xbox 360.
But the ps4 is a beast, a return to form. It truly excited me back to gaming.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Twisted Metal, Tekken 1, 2 and 3, Mortal Kombat 3 that looked as good as the arcade. Fuckin Wipeout!? Are you kidding me? Metal Gear Solid. PS1 was insane.

Sadly I never had a PS2 so I missed out on a lot, I feel. I did, however, get a BC PS3 which I still have. What are some specific gems from PS2 era that I may have missed out on? I got the Final Fantasies covered. Tekken Tag 1 also covered. Twisted Metal Black as well.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
15VqjxC.png
nkok5TV.png

Yeah Edge, it was something big.

A few pages later they hype the CDi tho :messenger_grinning_squinting: :messenger_ok:

I like this spanish headline for the new generation: Sons of RISC.

CaPTyOc.png

And this ad: Fun is served.

SJrbx6t.png
The best thing that happened to the industry was Sony going alone instead in partnership with Nintendo.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I loved the Playstation. It was my 1st console as an adult gamer, and boy did it deliver! Resident Evil and Wipeout 2097 were my 1st games and I was hooked! To me it truly gave us a different gaming experience to what Sega and Nintendo were doing- much more adult experiences.

I missed out on ps1 until like the early 2000s. When i finally got one, i accidentally put the wrong power adapter in the system. It started smoking and I was so disappointed that i broke it.

I do have fond memories of playing Plastic Army Soilders and twisted metal at a friends house.

When i was little, i didn't even know what a video game was let alone what a game console was. i remember sitting down on the floor, with my dad sitting next to me. for the first time i saw the classic PlayStation logo and boot sequence. my eyes lit up and simply overwhelmed with what i was seeing. then i saw crash bandicoot and of coarse cortex announce the name of the game. me and dad even before school would play this, just running away from the huge boulders to riding the little polar bear across the ice and dodging killer whales. to even street fighter 2, so many pleasant memories and what got me into gaming.

Reactions: TLZ

Gargus

Banned
The joy this boot sequence gave everyone was unreal

I also got a lot of joy out of the icons for saves on the memory cards. It was pointless really but I thought they were cool.

The music on the ps1 boot up always got me excited though just like hearing "seeegggaaaa" on the genesis startup.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
I didn't own a PlayStation until the PS2 (Tekken Tag Tournament was my first game for it), but I do have fond memories of visiting a friend's house to use their PS1 in high school. Hearing that boot-up sound or seeing a Wipeout XL race (I never really played the original) takes me right back.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
37c.jpg

the first great console war was the best.
I don't remember seeing that ad, but talk about sweet.

Game ads in the 80s and 90s were awesome.

It's like everyone working on them were on LSD and nobody complained.

But it's so true. The best creativity comes from being plastered!

(Edit: I just read the fine print. lol)

Last edited:
Top Bottom