• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Big One

Banned
angelfly said:
16axwzt.jpg

:D
:O does it run well?

Suzzopher said:
Playing Super Mario World on Dualshock feels so wrong. Are there any SNES USB pads out there? I have a NES one so there must be right?

I just played a bit with a Saturn USB pad and it worked well.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
SwiftSketcher said:
Would it then be possible for the PS3 to read authentic Wii disks?
One in a zillion chance. They're not exactly regular DVDs. Very few PC DVD players can read them.

Rollo Larson said:
region free ps2 and i'll do it

i swear i'll do it

If any form of PS2 emulation comes out of this, it's a done deal for many. People want crazy PCs for the PS2 emulator. Imagine a native app on a PS3.

MMaRsu

Banned
KAL2006 said:
wont be surprising, Wii has one

Genesis already, actually I take it back, I give it 3 days until we get all the things I said on one of my previous posts

Allow 3rd party USB controllers/drivers (360 controller support?)
Allow 3rd party bluetooth (Wii controller, sends files from other blutooth devices)
Remap button controls
Better and faster web browser
Custom soundtrack support for all games
Easy to navigate YouTube and Hulu apps

Radio support
Homebrew games (imagine the Move and PSEye homebrew games)
MKV video playback support
NTFS hardrive support
ISOloader, install and play PS3 games (dont have to change disks anymore)

Unlock saves
PDF, txt, comic reader
New features for in game XMB if there is enough RAM (in game FAQ - open txt file)

Is this really available yet? How can you surf the web but still use the firmware?

Custom soundtracks for all games is sick, I love it on 360 and I hate the fact I can't listen to my own music while playing Wipeout HD/Fury or Motorstorm 2.

And I can install all my games to my HDD and don't need to worry about changing discs? I can load them all from my hdd? That sounds SO sick. I kinda wanna try this out right now really .... And I'm very giddy about Snes and Genesis emulators. I still have my old ones in storage but I don't wanna hook them all up.

Dwayne said:
You know you can now (with OFW) right? just use mkv2vob and re-container the files.

My laptop is so old and fucked up I'm surprised it even runs. Honestly I can't reencode anything.

Ploid 3.0

darkwing said:
right now, i don't think Sony is going to do a total system scan of your HD if you are online, its not really practical, think of the network resources you need to do this for all PS3s going online

on second thought, they might do it randomly

What if the PS3 notice something is wrong with it's tummy then report?

Looking at my games on my blu ray rack, I'd love to use a HD loader.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
MMaRsu said:
Is this really available yet? How can you surf the web but still use the firmware?

Custom soundtracks for all games is sick, I love it on 360 and I hate the fact I can't listen to my own music while playing Wipeout HD/Fury or Motorstorm 2.

And I can install all my games to my HDD and don't need to worry about changing discs? I can load them all from my hdd? That sounds SO sick. I kinda wanna try this out right now really .... And I'm very giddy about Snes and Genesis emulators. I still have my old ones in storage but I don't wanna hook them all up.
none of that is available as of yet

MMaRsu said:
Custom soundtracks for all games is sick, I love it on 360 and I hate the fact I can't listen to my own music while playing Wipeout HD/Fury or Motorstorm 2. .

You can do it in Wipeout HD/Fury. You just have to have a playlist made on your PS3 then select it ingame in the options. I do it all the time.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
If I wasnt too chicken I would try this stuff out. I hope it all works well :D

Emulators on ps3 would kick ass, put away my old systems :lol

KAL2006

Banned
MMaRsu said:

My laptop is so old and fucked up I'm surprised it even runs. Honestly I can't reencode anything.

No
that was a list of shit that I expect to be coming when the PS3 homebrew scene starts to mature.

So basically you install the 3.55 "jailbreak" FW, get the install pkg files option, then go back to the 3.55 OFW and install homebrew? And Sony would have to do an HDD scan to ban you?

itxaka

Defeatist
SwiftSketcher said:
So what is Peek & poke again? Anybody?

In computing, PEEK is a BASIC programming language extension used for reading the contents of a memory cell at a specified address.[1] The corresponding command to set the contents of a memory cell is POKE.[2]

Basically, modifying on the fly the memory. Thus, for example, changing the game address from /dev_BD to /dev_hdd/gamez/uncharted3

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
MoxManiac said:
Those of you using CPS2/CPS3 emulators, do they work with PS3 sticks? (TEs, etc)
I'd tell you if I could download that file manager. x: I have everything all set up and ready to go aside from that.

EDIT: Nevermind Megaupload decided to work. Will update you in a moment.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Haven't checked yet, but any good Sega CD emulators? Would love to run through Snatcher one more time (and yes, I own the disc).

KAL2006

Banned
So do anyone you folks think the PS3 will get a good GameCube/Wii emulator

SNES - sure
MAME - sure
N64 - sure
PS1 - sure
Dreamcast - sure
GameCube/Wii - not sure

KAL2006 said:
So do anyone you folks think the PS3 will get a good GameCube/Wii emulator

SNES - sure
MAME - sure
N64 - sure
PS1 - sure
Dreamcast - sure
GameCube/Wii - not sure

It's supposedly more feasible than ps2 emulation. Wii and ps3 are both IBM power pc.

H_Prestige said:
So basically you install the 3.55 "jailbreak" FW, get the install pkg files option, then go back to the 3.55 OFW and install homebrew? And Sony would have to do an HDD scan to ban you?

You don't go back to OFW. You use the newly-added "Install PKG files" option that's on your games XMB menu to install homebrew. No one knows what sony will do, but they never banned for PSP cfw.

-viper-

Banned
KAL2006 said:
wont be surprising, Wii has one

Genesis already, actually I take it back, I give it 3 days until we get all the things I said on one of my previous posts

Allow 3rd party USB controllers/drivers (360 controller support?)
Allow 3rd party bluetooth (Wii controller, sends files from other blutooth devices)
Remap button controls
Better and faster web browser
Custom soundtrack support for all games
Easy to navigate YouTube and Hulu apps
Radio support
Homebrew games (imagine the Move and PSEye homebrew games)
MKV video playback support
NTFS hardrive support
ISOloader, install and play PS3 games (dont have to change disks anymore)
Unlock saves
PDF, txt, comic reader
New features for in game XMB if there is enough RAM (in game FAQ - open txt file)
They all sound crap except unlocked saves, MKV video playback support and NTFS hard drive support.

ISOloader sounds pretty interesting too.

I think I'll subscribe to the thread and wait for the inevitable NTFS/MKV playback support. That would be golden.

mr_nothin

Banned
Jocchan said:
FUCK.
I wanted to wait, but now I can't fucking resist.
Really?
THIS is what's making you want to jailbreak your PS3? A rom on an emulator? You can run this game on just about anything (and probably with better performance too) so I dont get why it would be the breaking point for you.

Top Bottom