• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Datschge

SuicideUZI said:
(...) so has geohot and the other contributors actually broken the law or is it just Sony doing anything they can to slow progression?
Wouldn't be surprised if that's the only weak-ish link they found, while all the internal technical groups trying to fix what can't be fixed are getting more and more desperate realizing the extend of this development.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
disappeared said:
This is my biggest gripe when it comes to music. I've got several hundred albums all ripped to the PS3, but for the life of me it can't properly alphabetize and group them by artist, then album. It breaks up each goddamned artist/album separately and I ain't manually bunching them together. Even the different organization options don't do shit. I end up just streaming them straight from my USB drive, already auto-organized when I ripped them.

Looking at the file I found two strings in the code that may help.

Code:
view_sort_selected.music_album=sort_music_album.list_title_ascend&root.view_sort_selected.music_year=sort_music_year.list_title_descend

Code:
sort_selected.music_album=sort_music.track_number_ascend&root.sort_selected.music_artist=sort_music.list_title_ascend&root.sort_selected.music_genre=sort_music.player_ascend&root.sort_selected.music_track_initial=sort_music.title_ascend&root.sort_selected.music_year=sort_music.player_ascend

I suppose it would be a simple matter of re-writing either of these strings and you might, just might, get things the way you want. Might be worth looking into.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
And Dani: if I edit files like that but fuck up somewhere, could I brick my system?

Very unlikely. No reports of bricking yet. Always make a backup of any file you are modifying though. These are not system critical files.

expy

Banned
Datschge said:
Wouldn't be surprised if that's the only weak-ish link they found, while all the internal technical groups trying to fix what can't be fixed are getting more and more desperate realizing the extend of this development.
They're accused on multiple accounts, not just one. Extortion is one of them.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
fail0verflow has apparently now released all their tools and their members are taking steps to ensure the information is kept in the public domain.

Link

You can't put pandora back in the box...

qT75O.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fail0verflow's tools:

Online Mirrors:
MegaUpload
HotFile
Multiupload.com
MegaUpload
FileServe
MegaUpload
FileServe
SendSpace
SendSpace

Torrents:
KickassTorrents.com - Public Tracker
Demonoid - Private Tracker
Piratebay - Public Tracker
SumoTorrent - Public Tracker

GitHub Clones:
shinks' clone
Hermes' clone
cron35231's clone
unchauncha's clone
masterchan777's clone
r0ckf3l3r's clone
srlx's clone
skopy9581's clone
Geohot's Public Tools:
Geohot's Orginal Git

GitHub Clones:

skopy9581's clone
masterchan777's clone

All Currently known PS3 Keys:

GitHub Clones:
estx's clone
masterchan777's clone
skopy9581's clone
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fail0verflow's tools + Geohot's Public Tools Combined:

Online Mirrors:
Spitzoholic Mirror (7z)
HotFile (7z)
MegaUpload (7z)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fail0verflow's tools + Geohot's Public Tools + All PS3 Keys Combined:

Online Mirrors:
4shared
MediaFire
FileDude
FileApe

Mirror of GeoHot's PS3 Jailbreak

Code:
erk: C0 CE FE 84 C2 27 F7 5B D0 7A 7E B8 46 50 9F 93 B2 38 E7 70 DA CB 9F F4 A3 88 F8 12 48 2B E2 1B
riv: 47 EE 74 54 E4 77 4C C9 B8 96 0C 7B 59 F4 C1 4D
pub: C2 D4 AA F3 19 35 50 19 AF 99 D4 4E 2B 58 CA 29 25 2C 89 12 3D 11 D6 21 8F 40 B1 38 CA B2 9B 71 01 F3 AE B7 2A 97 50 19
  R: 80 6E 07 8F A1 52 97 90 CE 1A AE 02 BA DD 6F AA A6 AF 74 17
  n: E1 3A 7E BC 3A CC EB 1C B5 6C C8 60 FC AB DB 6A 04 8C 55 E1
  K: BA 90 55 91 68 61 B9 77 ED CB ED 92 00 50 92 F6 6C 7A 3D 8D
 Da: C5 B2 BF A1 A4 13 DD 16 F2 6D 31 C0 F2 ED 47 20 DC FB 06 70
:D

Datschge

expy said:
They're accused on multiple accounts, not just one.
Of course they are. It's in Sony's interest to keep the trial going for as long as possible. That's not a new strategy of companies against individuals at all.

thuway

Did Fail0verflow patch lv2 yet? Whats the status of backup managers? I'm not ready to update just yet to 3.55. Gonna wait it for GAF's seal of approval.

test_account

XP-39C²
You can't put pandora back in the box...
Well.. (a big titled PS3 exlusive game spoiler)
Kratos did it in God of War 3, and Sony owns God of War, so who knows? Hehe ;)
. But ye, impossible to stop the leaks indeed, that is true.

AndyD said:
I wonder why its only silver... :lol What could a gold one be?
A gold trophy was given when some PS3 keys were exposed i think. All of those trophies were used in the 0verflow presentation.

disappeared said:
This is my biggest gripe when it comes to music. I've got several hundred albums all ripped to the PS3, but for the life of me it can't properly alphabetize and group them by artist, then album. It breaks up each goddamned artist/album separately and I ain't manually bunching them together. Even the different organization options don't do shit. I end up just streaming them straight from my USB drive, already auto-organized when I ripped them.

I haven't really bothered with putting a lot of music on my system, but yes, I imagine it would be a nightmare.

Personally, what I would like to see is better customization of PSN titles, PS1 games, etc. Instead of just either piling everything you have down one column or "sorting" by creation date or whatever, I wish each format had their own style with alphabetization features.

For instance, using PS1 games, why not have it's own program like say Netflix or whatever that is designed around the style/look of the PS1 console? Not even saying you'd have to launch a new program just to get to your PS1 games. But you know how you can navigate to the PS Store icons under the XMB and it branches off and shows you what's on there?

I think it would be really cool if you had a PS1 section that did something like this, same for PSN titles, minis, whatever. Anything is better than how they have it now.

Honestly when the PS3 first came out I was just thinking well, this is probably just temporary and there will be XMB redesigns along the way like what Microsoft does, but here we are in 2011.

angelfly

Well in other news I've been busy this morning trying to get PS3SX to work and the result:
24vticl.jpg

barely playable at an average of 12FPS mostly likely due to the fact that I have to run it using the cpu interpreter since theres no peek and poke

Sutanreyu

Jocchan said:
It's not "more than just doable" because of hardware limitations, you can't just reprogram/recompile a PS2 emulator and run it on a Genesis.

That's a completely different scenario; how is that relevant? I understand your analogy, but we're talking about emulating a previous generation console on a system with huge processing capability... It's all a matter of interpreting hardware calls.

Just to clarify, the 'reprogram' part implies that effort should be put into porting the code in a way that efficiently makes use of the PS3's strengths, e.g. Cell, RSX.

thuway said:
Did Fail0verflow patch lv2 yet? Whats the status of backup managers? I'm not ready to update just yet to 3.55. Gonna wait it for GAF's seal of approval.

I was 3.41 until a couple of days ago, now I'm 3.55 and 3.55JB. There will be a path to go back at some point, all they have to do is NOP the version check in a future jailbreak firmware. I wouldn't fear 3.55, but of course when Sony releases 3.56 or 3.6 or whatever, run away.

wow, that's an open challenge to dual from failoverflow.
Brass balls, I like it. They sounded very confident in their case and their actions and it seems they certainly are.

So they have essentially ignored Sony's action because they think (know) those actions can't be backed up legally based on the claim Sony made...correct?

Vorg

Banned
Sutanreyu said:
That's a completely different scenario; how is that relevant? I understand your analogy, but we're talking about emulating a previous generation console on a system with huge processing capability... It's all a matter of interpreting hardware calls.

Just to clarify, the 'reprogram' part implies that effort should be put into porting the code in a way that efficiently makes use of the PS3's strengths, e.g. Cell, RSX.

It takes a good PC to emulate the ps2. The ps3 just doesn't have the horse power.

3rdman

Can anyone explain why there isn't a CFW for 3.41? It would seem a simple matter since peek/poke is settled at that version firmware...or am I wrong?

expy

Banned
BobTheFork said:
wow, that's an open challenge to dual from failoverflow.
Brass balls, I like it. They sounded very confident in their case and their actions and it seems they certainly are.

So they have essentially ignored Sony's action because they think (know) those actions can't be backed up legally based on the claim Sony made...correct?
No, they don't all live in the U.S. so Sony has no jurisdiction over the entire team, only certain individuals.

angelfly

Dani said:
Graf_Chokolo “Helped” Flukes1 “To Patch” LV1&2

Link
Seems like it won't be long until a working implementation is found. Also good to see graf is still working behind the scenes. I wonder what hes been working on now.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
thuway said:
Waht duz this mean dawg?

It means that, when the ability to access Lv 1 and 2 is patched into a Custom or Modified Firmware, applications will be able to run on and exploit the PS3 fully. The lack of such access is currently hindering backup managers, PSX support and a few other functions. It is, essentially, the final hurdle to overcome in order for the PS3 to be fully unlocked and opened up. Homebrew will have full access at the same level as retail games. People will be able to do what they want, as it were.

The downside is that the pirates are also very interested in this due to the ability to play backups without hassle.

angelfly

thuway said:
Waht duz this mean dawg?

1. implement peek poke equivilent in lv1
  2. use it to access lv2 memory
  3. dump lv2
  4. figure out away around the memory hashing
  5. implement working peek poke in lv2 based on findings
  6. ???
  7. profit

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
brandonh83 said:
I haven't really bothered with putting a lot of music on my system, but yes, I imagine it would be a nightmare.

Personally, what I would like to see is better customization of PSN titles, PS1 games, etc. Instead of just either piling everything you have down one column or "sorting" by creation date or whatever, I wish each format had their own style with alphabetization features.

For instance, using PS1 games, why not have it's own program like say Netflix or whatever that is designed around the style/look of the PS1 console? Not even saying you'd have to launch a new program just to get to your PS1 games. But you know how you can navigate to the PS Store icons under the XMB and it branches off and shows you what's on there?

I think it would be really cool if you had a PS1 section that did something like this, same for PSN titles, minis, whatever. Anything is better than how they have it now.

Honestly when the PS3 first came out I was just thinking well, this is probably just temporary and there will be XMB redesigns along the way like what Microsoft does, but here we are in 2011.
I think that goes contrary to Sony's goal with the XMB, which was to keep it simple and identical in design, not just across the PS3's functions, but across TVs, blu-ray players, etc....

But I agree with you. I think the dedication to the XMB has made it an extremely boring and difficult device to navigate. Going through a big linear LIST of content is not appealing in the slightest... some visual elements laid out on a screen would be far better. Give the sections different identity. Right now in my mind, there is no difference because the "games" section of the XMB and the "system settings", because they have no identity.

3rdman said:
Can anyone explain why there isn't a CFW for 3.41? It would seem a simple matter since peek/poke is settled at that version firmware...or am I wrong?

I've been wondering about this for a while, I'd like to know too.

My PS3 is still on 3.15 or something.

rinse82

Is there a 3.41 CFW out there? I have a virgin PS3, and want to stay on 3.41 so I can utilize backup manager. Dongles may be rendered useless in the coming weeks so I don't want to buy one.

itxaka

Defeatist
Dani said:
Graf_Chokolo “Helped” Flukes1 “To Patch” LV1&2

Link

You had to be on IRC to see how awesome is graf_chokolo. I swear, he's gotta be one of the Sony engineers that made the ps3.

The guy just relayed a message to flukes1 trough a third guy on the channel. One phrase and flukes1 went nuts seeing how easy seemed to be.The guy makes it seem easy as fuck :lol

Peek&Poke on 3.41 is delivered by the dongle payload. While there is some new protection on 3.55 to avoid it, a CFW on 3.41 is only a temporal solution as games require new firmwares to run and it's a pain in the ass to do them. I guess people are concentrating on delivering everything on 3.55 which will make it future-proof (kind of)

itxaka said:
You had to be on IRC to see how awesome is graf_chokolo. I swear, he's gotta be one of the Sony engineers that made the ps3.

The guy just relayed a message to flukes1 trough a third guy on the channel. One phrase and flukes1 went nuts seeing how easy seemed to be.The guy makes it seem easy as fuck :lol

But hey, remember, Sony filing this suit is definitely going to slow things down. :D

satriales

expy said:
No, they don't all live in the U.S. so Sony has no jurisdiction over the entire team, only certain individuals.
Sony is a Japanese company, so if the US branch can go after the guys in the US couldn't Sony Europe go after the other guys?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
itxaka said:

A new Dark_Alex in the making? :lol

Scalpel Knight said:
Browsing the PS3 filesystem is pretty neat. Game/save data backgrounds for instance, are nice when available, and highres:

http://i51.tinypic.com/358p5qq.jpg SSFIV BD/savedata background (not full res because of upload restrictions, but you get the idea)

I've been poking around and yeah, it's pretty sweet seeing what's in there. So temping to make a few changes here or there to see what happens.

thuway

itxaka said:

Peek&Poke on 3.41 is delivered by the dongle payload. While there is some new protection on 3.55 to avoid it, a CFW on 3.41 is only a temporal solution as games require new firmwares to run and it's a pain in the ass to do them. I guess people are concentrating on delivering everything on 3.55 which will make it future-proof (kind of)

How long do you think it will be, or is there any indication in IRC when all this will go down?

Rur0ni

itxaka said:

Indeed. Before the fail0ver presentation he was already exploiting GameOS.

Soon.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
According to one of the Admins at PSX-Scene;

Project has been totally killed anyway.

Flukes1 shutdown his IRC channel, and masskick everyone out, once the lawsuits were posted on our site regarding Geohot and others being named.

This thread is closed for a reason, because project is dead, and peek/poke was not working, even in lv1.

Assuming to mean the dudes working on Lv 1 and 2 have killed the project and stopped working on it. =/

Top Bottom