• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

xclaw

I'm no expert but staring at IRC it would seem like things just got quite a bit more complicated with regards to homebrew. Dunno tho, it's like alien speak what these guys say.

N.A

Banned
xclaw said:
I'm no expert but staring at IRC it would seem like things just got quite a bit more complicated with regards to homebrew. Dunno tho, it's like alien speak what these guys say.

Yes. Sony has signed stuff with new keys. Unfortunately for them these new keys or the decryption process has to be accessible to older firmwares.

For the hackers it's not as easy as just applying the same patch used in 3.55 CFW, there are several more hurdles to overcome. It could be a while until we see 3.56 CFW.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
xclaw said:

So no 3.56 CFW then. *runs PSN update as I gotta have my BC2*

N.A

Banned
It's also worth pointing out that they'll be lots of people claiming this as the end of homebrew on the PS3 like they did once Sony patched the jailbreak dongle exploit. It's not. It's just a lot more complicated than 3.55. And at worst it means anyone who has already updated to 3.56 won't be able to return to CFW.

GavinGT

Banned
TheSeks said:
So no 3.56 CFW then. *runs PSN update as I gotta have my BC2*

For like a week, maybe. I wouldn't recommend updating, but if having PSN access for a week is more important than your future use of homebrew, go right ahead. Just saying, there's a chance that update will fuck you over.

Dambrosi

Banned
Went online with my JP account, downloaded the Catherine demo. It works, as expected.

I hope this DNS trick lasts until we get new CFW.

TheSeks

GavinGT said:
For like a week, maybe. I wouldn't recommend updating, but if having PSN access for a week is more important than your future use of homebrew, go right ahead. Just saying, there's a chance that update will fuck you over.

I'm more worried about PSN bans than losing the homebrew access, honestly. Given the keys are out there and it's a "cat and mouse" game, it's just a matter of time before it comes to newer firmwares.

Dambrosi said:
Went online with my JP account, downloaded the Catherine demo. It works, as expected.

I hope this DNS trick lasts until we get new CFW.

DNS trick? I'd really like to get the Catherine demo.

TheSeks

DoctorWho said:
DNS trick? I'd really like to get the Catherine demo.

You spoof the Sony servers to think you're on the latest firmware. It'll probably only run for a week or three before Sony closes it... AGAIN. Better be fast on it.

Stike said:
FFFUUUUUUUUU

How am I going to play LBP2 (online) now :-/

We knew what we were getting into with CFW.

What I'm worried about is playing something like Marvel vs. Capcom 3. If they make the latest firmware required I may have to wait a few days before I can play my copy. Same goes for something like Killzone 3 and MLB 11. I assume those will be locked to 3.57. :p

MMaRsu

Banned
DoctorWho said:

What I'm worried about is playing something like Marvel vs. Capcom 3. If they make the latest firmware required I may have to wait a few days before I can play my copy. Same goes for something like Killzone 3 and MLB 11. I assume those will be locked to 3.57. :p

Do third party games usually get OFW patches in them? I'm sure there will be a way to play mvC3.

Danielsan

DoctorWho said:

Exactly. If you don't have the patience to wait for issues like these to get resolved you're probably better off staying on OFW. Personally I don't mind a couple of days without PSN access if necessary. Luckily the DNS trick worked for me.

MMaRsu said:
Do third party games usually get OFW patches in them? I'm sure there will be a way to play mvC3.

I'm not sure to be honest. I can always grab that on 360 but I'd rather play with my Saturn pad. The real biggie for me is MLB 11. I don't want to wait to play that!

Hixx

DoctorWho said:

Didn't Killzone 3 go gold before all this happened? I imagine it will be a 3.55 title.

RetroMG

So yesterday I was out all day and missed all this, so forgive me, I'm still catching up. I haven't updated, I've used the DNS trick to get back online. I assume that will keep working for the next little while. I was planning to go buy a 500gb drive this morning to upgrade my 40gb.

If I download all my PSN Games right now to my current drive, can I back them up to transfer to my new drive via Flash Drive or FTP, or will I have to redownload them on the new drive?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've never done a PS3 drive swap. Actually, it would be a good tutorial to have in the Wiki, if it isn't there already.

test_account

XP-39C²
squatingyeti said:
I think discless will mainly serve the older PS3 model crowd. Some of the fat models have seriously shoddy lasers and spending extra money to fix them, when no longer needed, just makes no sense.
If the laser is not longer working, then it would make sense to fix them if we want to dump our own games at least :) But ye, if the laser takes extra wear on when booting the game without discless mode, then it is better with discless mode indeed, that is true :)

endlessflood said:
If your PS3's laser has died then with discless mode you can still play your games. You'll need to rip the games from a PS3 with a working laser but that's a one time only thing. I'm going to do this for a friend whose laser has failed: I'll install the CFW for him, rip all of his games to an external HDD using my PS3, and then copy the ripped games onto his internal HDD. Voila, he can once again play his PS3 games without needing to buy a new PS3 or pay to have his laser repaired.
I see, then the discless option is a very good thing to have indeed :)

thundr51

I saw the update last night and was half way through downloading it but because it was taking so long I decided to just cancel it to see what it did. Was thinking about CFW but I have one question...

Can I play my import PS2 games on CFW?

test_account

XP-39C²
N.A said:
It's also worth pointing out that they'll be lots of people claiming this as the end of homebrew on the PS3 like they did once Sony patched the jailbreak dongle exploit. It's not. It's just a lot more complicated than 3.55. And at worst it means anyone who has already updated to 3.56 won't be able to return to CFW.
Even if a new PS3 firmware update becomes "unhackable", it is no reason that homebrew on the PS3 should end anyway :) Homebrew arent depended on running the latest firmware to work. Newer games might not be playable without the latest firmware installed though, but homebrew should still work :)

Massa

HixxSAFC said:
Didn't Killzone 3 go gold before all this happened? I imagine it will be a 3.55 title.

It went gold before firmware 3.56 was released to the masses but there's still a good chance SDK 3.56 was already in their hands before yesterday.

Multiman the latest version:

there are 2 versions in the rar file

one is called 355GH.pkg
and the other without that 355gh name...

which one should I install?

Weenerz

Banned
robertsan21 said:
Multiman the latest version:

there are 2 versions in the rar file

one is called 355GH.png
and the other without that 355gh name...

which one should I install?

.png is a picture format, is the other .pkg? The .pkg is the one to go with.

N.A said:
Gaia 2.06 and multiMAN 1.14 both remove diskless loading. You must play with a disc in the drive and launch from the disc icon, not APP_HOME.

deank has already said that APP_HOME mounting will return in 1.14.01: http://psx-scene.com/forums/717956-post4865.html

I have a disc in the drive (Sports Champions) but when I select the game to load in any loader and it kicks me back the the XMB, I still just have the Sports Champions disc icon and if I select it it loads...Sports Champions.

N.A

Banned
Beer Monkey said:
I have a disc in the drive (Sports Champions) but when I select the game to load in any loader and it kicks me back the the XMB, I still just have the Sports Champions disc icon and if I select it it loads...Sports Champions.

Delete and re-install multiMAN and make sure you are not loading any other patchers before loading multiMAN.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
RetroGamer42 said:
So yesterday I was out all day and missed all this, so forgive me, I'm still catching up. I haven't updated, I've used the DNS trick to get back online. I assume that will keep working for the next little while. I was planning to go buy a 500gb drive this morning to upgrade my 40gb.

If I download all my PSN Games right now to my current drive, can I back them up to transfer to my new drive via Flash Drive or FTP, or will I have to redownload them on the new drive?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've never done a PS3 drive swap. Actually, it would be a good tutorial to have in the Wiki, if it isn't there already.
Something tells me you can't just transfer purchases around because of the drm, someone correct me if I'm wrong but seems like you have to just redownload.

N.A

Banned
For those who are curious about the new PS3 security, it seems Sony has implemented something in 3.56 I mentioned here a few weeks ago that is the same as Microsoft uses to detect and ban 360's.

Mathieulh just posted about it on IRC.

Essentially Sony can now remotely execute code on the PS3 as soon as you connect. This can do whatever Sony wants it to do such as verifying system files or searching for homebrew. Sony can change the code and add new detection methods without any firmware updates and as the code executes remotely there is no reliable way to forge the replies.

Whilst it is possible to patch or remove this code from the firmware this will likely mean the end of playing CFW online (as PSN can just check before login that this is active) or at the very least mean it will be even easier for Sony to detect and ban users.

Judging from the fact that people can still connect using the proxy method it seems Sony hasn't activated any of this yet but the functions are there in the new firmware.

N.A said:
For those who are curious about the new PS3 security, it seems Sony has implemented something in 3.56 I mentioned here a few weeks ago that is the same as Microsoft uses to detect and ban 360's.

Essentially Sony can now remotely execute code on the PS3 as soon as you connect. This can do whatever Sony wants it to do such as verifying system files or searching for homebrew. Sony can change the code and add new detection methods without any firmware updates and as the code executes remotely there is no reliable way to forge the replies.

Whilst it is possible to patch or remove this code from the firmware this will likely mean the end of playing CFW online (as PSN can just check before login that this is active) or at the very least mean it will be even easier for Sony to detect and ban users.

Judging from the fact that people can still connect using the proxy method it seems Sony hasn't activated any of this yet but the functions are there in the new firmware.

Interesting. So, if I decide to stick with CFW, I probably shouldn't pick up LBP2.

Erebus

N.A said:

Does this mean that they can't ban anyone who logged in to the PSN using CFW when it was still possible (prior to FW3.56)?

N.A

Banned

N.A

Banned
DarkUSS said:
Does this mean that they can't ban anyone who logged in to the PSN using CFW when it was still possible (prior to FW3.56)?

Not using this method, though they probably have data on everyone who has loaded homebrew whilst connected to PSN. (whether they would use it or allow people to go back to OFW is debatable)

If PSN is important to you, it's best to delete all homebrew, install 3.55 and then use the system update option on the XMB to upgrade to 3.56.

Everyone who wants homebrew and CFW should accept that permanent PSN access is now extremely unlikely (and always was tbh).

mattiewheels said:
Something tells me you can't just transfer purchases around because of the drm, someone correct me if I'm wrong but seems like you have to just redownload.

I had to redownload my licenses last week when I upgraded hard drives.

If you want to run homebrew AND keep your legally licensed PSN content, AND upgrade your hard drive, I'd say get your hard drive upgraded REALLY soon while the DNS trick still works.

S1kkZ

N.A said:
Not using this method, though they probably have data on everyone who has loaded homebrew whilst connected to PSN. (whether they would use it or allow people to go back to OFW is debatable)

If PSN is important to you, it's best to delete all homebrew, install 3.55 and then use the system update option on the XMB to upgrade to 3.56.

Everyone who wants homebrew and CFW should accept that permanent PSN access is now extremely unlikely (and always was tbh).

do you think the hackers will find a way to install cfw and homebrew on 3.56 systems?

S1kkZ said:
do you think the hackers will find a way to install cfw and homebrew on 3.56 systems?

Unless 3.56 removes USB updates and recovery menu there's a zero percent chance that it isn't going to get fully hacked.

Top Bottom