• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 3 Firmware 2.35 Up!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
x3n05 said:
What I don't understand, and maybe someone here can shed some light on it for me is why an update takes me around 20-25 minutes to download, yet I can download a 500MB demo in around 5 minutes. I am in Australia, is it that they have local content servers here but updates come from elsewhere?

I do not know... I do not know if your internet connection or if Sony servers are to blame (you are not the only one experiencing odd and rare long download times: for most users though it does not take nearly as long as it did take you), I downloaded this update in like a minute this morning.

Goldrusher

rhfb said:
I never had a single issue with GTAIV...

By that logic, if you don't have cancer, it doesn't exist and all research to cure it should stop ?

Many* have a system that refuses to play the game without lock-ups (as in full system freeze, with the only way out of it, a reset / reboot) or even load the game past the intro.

So far, Rockstar said "we have no clue what's going on" and forwards you to Sony, who will replace your system. For free. Even if it's out of warranty...which it probably is, since the consoles affected are a batch of launch systems.

* me too :(

Hesemonni

Banned
Crisis said:
Kovalainen.gif

I love that. :lol
Considering that the guy is childhood friend of mine and when that accident happened I was worried sick for a while ... I certainly didn't love that.

You might wanna try crashing into a tyre wall 240 km/h and tell us afterwards how lovable that is.

senahorse

Panajev2001a said:
I do not know... I do not know if your internet connection or if Sony servers are to blame (you are not the only one experiencing odd and rare long download times: for most users though it does not take nearly as long as it did take you), I downloaded this update in like a minute this morning.

It is certainly bizzare, when I regularly download off the PSN at ~1.5MB/s yet updates are painfully slow. No huge deal just frustrating at times.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
burgerdog said:
Is the psn network down? I'm getting DNS errors now, shit, first the sound issue last night and now I can't connect.

That's something on your end, pal.

FirewalkR

Just saw this at B3D:

one @ B3D said:
AV Watch says it added Youtube upload function for game developers to use in their games.
Mainichi Issho supports it with FW 2.35

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20080515/sce.htm

sce03.jpg

sce04.jpg

and this:

DeanA @ B3D said:
AVWatch is incorrect. I believe that functionality was included in 2.20.

Dean

Even if it was added in 2.20, I'd never heard of it before. Cool!

x3n05 said:
I don't mind when there are great new features added, like DTS-HDMA or the new store. But when it is just bug fixes, I wonder why they cannot be compiled into a less frequent update

That's probably the dumbest sentence I've heard in all my life :lol

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
FirewalkR said:
Just saw this at B3D:

and this:

Even if it was added in 2.20, I'd never heard of it before. Cool!

Holeeee shit. I wish some developers would actually use that function though (the story of the PS3's life.)

sajj316

Tisan said:
Speaking of the PS Store, does it cache images now?

My PS3 is away at repair :(

Same hear ... cached or not, its pretty quick. There are instances where the images get stuck loaded but its cleared after about 5 second.

commissar

Ok, cool.
I might try using ethernet instead of wireless when my PS3 gets back, in case that's why it seems to take longer.

Cheers guys :)

Oni Jazar

I think Sony has a very messed up OS if it has to patch the whole thing in order to fix specific games. Why can't they apply the patch just to that game, then maybe include the fix in the next major firmware update.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Oni Jazar said:
I think Sony has a very messed up OS if it has to patch the whole thing in order to fix specific games. Why can't they apply the patch just to that game, then maybe include the fix in the next major firmware update.

Other games close to release or already released might in some case also trigger that bug: OS updates should be preferable to application specific hacks.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
sajj316 said:
Same hear ... cached or not, its pretty quick. There are instances where the images get stuck loaded but its cleared after about 5 second.

Still, since I hope it should not be an incredibly difficult thing to do (it takes some HDD space, but not GB's worth of it) Image caching across Store Sessions (open the store... close the store... open the store).

Still having the Family games category TWICE in the EU PSN Store... (main level and then inside the Games tab)... when are you going to fix this mistake Sony ?!?

Oni Jazar said:

I actually prefer (somewhat) this method. I doubt they are patching the OS to say "if game X runs, then run this code." I bet it is more fixing things that games use. Now I don't have to wait after I start up these games to get the patch.

Goldrusher

BeeDog said:
You mean the artifacting at the bottom when you scroll text? It's still there for me.

I haven't noticed it...

Then again, I'm currently in 1080i mode, usually in 720p. Maybe it's not there in 1080i ?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Oni Jazar said:
Applying the patch to the game requires coordination with the publisher, which requires the publisher/developer to provide technical resources to do so. They aren't required to do this. They don't have to be concerned with perception of platform stability like the platform owner does. If their games passed TRC and got approved for publishing on the platform, they're done.

Beyond that, I wouldn't necessarily take a generic description such "fixes for software compatability issues" too literally. They could just be making general improvements to system security or memory use and these would still qualify as fixes for [potential] software compatability issues.

BeeDog

Goldrusher said:
I haven't noticed it...

Then again, I'm currently in 1080i mode, usually in 720p. Maybe it's not there in 1080i ?

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed a while ago that the store bug only appears in 720, unfortunately. Such a small but nagging oversight. :(

jaaz

Xabora said:
Sweet 2.35!

- Mages now have a new icon for Mage Armor!

How excellent!

:lol :lol :lol

Oh man, I actually remember THAT back when I played a Mage on Eonar. I wanted to cry.

burgerdog

Grr, Still can't connect. My wii and 360 are working fine, I wonder why ps3 started getting dns errors today. I tried a few of the suggestions that I read in different boards, but that only led to my connection timing out once I had gotten past the DNS error. Tried going directly off the modem and that gives dns error as well.

bigswords

burgerdog said:
Grr, Still can't connect. My wii and 360 are working fine, I wonder why ps3 started getting dns errors today. I tried a few of the suggestions that I read in different boards, but that only led to my connection timing out once I had gotten past the DNS error. Tried going directly off the modem and that gives dns error as well.

Did you disable uPnP in your network settings?

I had that issue once, had to restart my router and modem and all was good.

burgerdog

bigswords said:
Did you disable pnp in your network settings?

No, I didn't change any settings prior to it failing to connect. It was all fine and dandy before, never had any connection issues. I just turned it on today and it no longer connected to psn.

burgerdog said:
No, I didn't change any settings prior to it failing to connect. It was all fine and dandy before, never had any connection issues. I just turned it on today and it no longer connected to psn.

Coincidentally, I too had the exact same DNS issue come up last night before the update. When I turned my PS3 on I noticed I wasn't logged into PSN so I assumed there was a new firmware up, but I then got the DNS issue when I tried to connect to PSN or search for an update. The web-browser wouldn't work either. All I had to do to fix the issue was power-cycle my network switch though.

burgerdog

Valkyr Junkie said:
Coincidentally, I too had the exact same DNS issue come up last night before the update. When I turned my PS3 on I noticed I wasn't logged into PSN so I assumed there was a new firmware up, but I then got the DNS issue when I tried to connect to PSN or search for an update. The web-browser wouldn't work either. All I had to do to fix the issue was power-cycle my network switch though.

Do I unplug everything and turn off the router for a few minutes to power-cycle?

This "DNS error" problem has cropped up for me over the past couple of weeks. I only have problems on the PS3. I usually just try to login again. It only takes 1 or 2 more tries, usually. Happens with my fake foreign accounts too.

I would like some visual enhancements for my PS1 and PS2 games in a future update. I guess I'm just used to all the options I can use with my Playstation 1 emulator on my PC but it would be nice. On my PC, I can get the textures and level geometry to look super sharp.

Top Bottom