• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 3D Gaming Impressions Thread

slider

Anyone have an idea of when HDMI 1.4 monitors will be available?

Fake Edit: I see this which surprised me.

I caved in and purchased a new TV for my "gaming room" but I knew I'd want a 3D set eventually. My issue now is convincing my gf we need a new set 2 months after the last. : (

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Has anyone tested Pain yet? Curious about how it runs in 3D since it's 30fps in 2D already. Its ballistic gameplay also lends itself to highlight stereoscopic 3D depth perception. Should feel easier to land on stuff.

Ainigma

Neo Member
TTP said:
Has anyone tested Pain yet? Curious about how it runs in 3D since it's 30fps in 2D already. Its ballistic gameplay also lends itself to highlight stereoscopic 3D depth perception. Should feel easier to land on stuff.

This, and has anyone tried the Motorstorm Demo? This was also already 30fps....

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This thread is such a huge tease for me. I love 3D, I think I notice the effect a lot more than most people, but I won't be able to afford a 3DTV for a few years. I'm experiencing 3D gaming vicariously through GAF right now. I really wish I could check out the 3D SSHD.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
slider said:
Anyone have an idea of when HDMI 1.4 monitors will be available?

Fake Edit: I see this which surprised me.

Huh.

It's hdmi 1.4, but not a mention of 3D in the description.

Is it the case that some displays will have hdmi 1.4, but their display won't actually show a 3D signal?

I'd be all over a monitor like that if it does support 3D.

(Also, I know this probably isn't the thread for it, but wrt plasmas...do they have any downsides when it comes to their 3D implementation?)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
(Also, I know this probably isn't the thread for it, but wrt plasmas...do they have any downsides when it comes to their 3D implementation?)

Apparently not. Only pros (no cross-talking at all).

Ainigma

Neo Member
gofreak said:
Huh.

The only thing I read was that Plasma's aren't qutie as bright as LCD's/LED's, and this isn't helped with the 3D glasses being tinted. Saying that, they said in a darkened room it will be fine, and you can always increase the brightness yourself.

But the benefits as already posted are, as every review have said, it doesn't seem to suffer from cross talk, gaming lag seems to be non-existent (some LCD's lag seems to increase with 3D according to early reports, but they did say this will be fixed) and motion res. is fantastic.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ChryZ said:
I'm blown away by how much they were able to optimize SSHD. The post product support of this game is unprecedented and they aren't even first or second party. Best PSN purchase ever.
The game is made by the kind of people who spend all their free time drinking vodka and thinking of how to make their newest C64 realtime raytracing demo run at 15FPS instead of 12. They. Just. Never. Stop.

jqj2bq.gif
2iiz6ue.png
n35amc.png

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lord Error said:
The game is made by the kind of people who spend all their free time drinking vodka and thinking of how to make their newest C64 realtime raytracing demo run at 15FPS instead of 12. They. Just. Never. Stop.

So true :lol

Good Lord I love these kind of programmers

StaSeb

Unfortunatley I did not find any Motorstorm or Pain 3D-demo. Even Super Stardust was hard to find. Had to create a JP-account and search quite a lot.

And yep... the shutterglasses did come with the price of a darker picture. But it´s still totally okay and playable. You should play without any articficial lighting anyways because with the shutterglasses you notice the flickering common in fluorescent tubes.

Lots of love for panasonic plasmas... Will have to check them out.

Anyone have a 1080p 3d projector? Are there any on the market? 720p 3d? A projector is what I really want!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
StaSeb said:
Unfortunatley I did not find any Motorstorm or Pain 3D-demo. Even Super Stardust was hard to find. Had to create a JP-account and search quite a lot.

What was the problem with SSDHD? I see u downloaded the japanese demo. All u needed was to launch your eu version to get prompted to update to 5.00.

Pain 3D unlock file in right there in the whats' new section of the PS Store.

slider

gofreak said:
Huh.

It's hdmi 1.4, but not a mention of 3D in the description.

Is it the case that some displays will have hdmi 1.4, but their display won't actually show a 3D signal?

I'd be all over a monitor like that if it does support 3D.

I just logged back on to make that point! :lol

I'm gonna have a hunt around this weekend at Best Buy etc. and see how the ground lies. From what I can tell I think we're a few months off a HDMI 1.4 3D monitor that'll work with the PS3 but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

StaSeb

TTP said:
What was the problem with SSDHD? I see u downloaded the japanese demo. All u needed was to launch your eu version to get prompted to update to 5.00.

Pain 3D unlock file in right there in the whats' new section of the PS Store.

No full version of SSDHD on the system. I know! Thats madness. Was a debug-code back then. We never got a code for the final. And buying it just for a quick look? Nah, japanese demo is more than enough. But anyhoo... is there a motorstorm-3D-demo anywhere yet?

Ainigma

Neo Member
StaSeb said:
And yep... the shutterglasses did come with the price of a darker picture.

One review said they used the Panny's Vivid setting when watching 3D content which seem to help, although some of the settings were toned down.

When does sony releae the Blu Ray 3D update?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
KernelPanic said:
Does PS3 phat support 3D ?

I keep hearing this uses HDMI 1.4 but the phat PS3 was only 1.3 IIRC.

All PS3s are 1.3, but they've been software-upgraded to 1.4 as far as 3D stuff is concerned.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
KernelPanic said:

Short answer: it does.
Long answer: you don't need HDMI 1.4 for 3D.

squicken

KernelPanic said:

HDMI 1.4 turned out to be a huge load of lies made of shit. It offers Audio Return Channel and Ethernet over HDMI 1.3. For video, it offers nothing really. In fact, it's possible that an HDMI 1.5 will come along soon since 1.4 does not support 3D 1080p@60fps x2.

If I can't play the Motorstorm2 demo without buying the 3D pack, that is bullshit. I have the game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
squicken said:
If I can't play the Motorstorm2 demo without buying the 3D pack, that is bullshit. I have the game.

True.

Bare in mind tho the Motorstorm demo was made specifically for 3D. It's not a patch for the whole game. I think you get to run in 3D on a single track.

That said I agree. It should be free and available to anybody since it's a fucking tech demo.

BTW, I hope they also release the 3D version of the KZ2 bullet demo. That would be nuts.

slider

darkwing said:
they should really make MS: Apocalypse with 3D support

I'd assume it would feature 3D support but I don't think we've had any confirmation. Don't think there was any mention of 3D in the latest previews.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
slider said:
I'd assume it would feature 3D support but I don't think we've had any confirmation. Don't think there was any mention of 3D in the latest previews.

It's a watch-this-space thing.

But I mean...come on. It has to happen. Evo guys have been the one evangelising 3D to other developers. If they can't persuade their own internal team to support it, what would that say to others? :p The kind of particle system implied by the screens for destruction etc. also looks like it's pretty much made for 3D. Could easily imagine those stones and rocks and stuff bouncing out of the screen.

slider

gofreak said:
It's a watch-this-space thing.

But I mean...come on. It has to happen. Evo guys have been the one evangelising 3D to other developers. If they can't persuade their own internal team to support it, what would that say to others? :p The kind of particle system implied by the screens for destruction etc. also looks like it's pretty much made for 3D. Could easily imagine those stones and rocks and stuff bouncing out of the screen.

:D

I'd be shocked if it didn't support 3D. Shocked I say.

@gofreak, or anyone else if you find a 3D HDMI 1.4 monitor 20"+ pm me please. I'm getting tense.

stuminus3

Banned
How is the brightness/colour of SSDHD? It's a very bright and colourful game by nature, it'd be a shame if 3D makes it dark and dull.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
hauton said:
So are games downgraded graphically when put in 3D mode?

I heard you have to render things twice, which seems odd.

Couldn't they just render on one side and feed it as a video to the other side? Add whatever filters are necessary to change the second image to create the stereoscopic effect? I mean the CELL supposedly can do a billion 1080p streams at once, so I'm not sure why that's not at least worth looking into.

Or are the two sides completely different in terms of image? Sorry if this sounds incredibly naive/obtuse.

It isn't a filter, the second side has to be rendered from a slightly different perspective, so in effect it's a totally different image. Two identical images cannot create a 3D effect.

Adamm

4bS5y.jpg

All ready and waiting! :D

Ive only tried Wipeout so far, i was very impressed - but this may me because of lack of 3D content to view, i have very little to compare it to :lol

Updating other things now, will post impressions shortly

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Adamm said:

Ive only tried Wipeout so far, i was very impressed - but this may me because of lack of 3D content to view, i have very little to compare it to :lol

Can I make a joke about how you're watching a scene of a finely appointed living room in what appears to be a blank-walled and unfurnished nook? :)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I am jealous. Probably wont be able to afford a 3d set until xmas at the earliest.

unless some company does the right thing for consumers and releases a 24"-30" 3d capable screen. :'(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Can I make a joke about how you're watching a scene of a finely appointed living room in what appears to be a blank-walled an unfurnished nook? :)

What's even funnier is that both rooms share the same perspective making it look like screen is a window into an adjacent room.

Adamm

Bad_Boy said:
I am jealous. Probably wont be able to afford a 3d set until xmas at the earliest.

unless some company does the right thing for consumers and releases a 24"-30" 3d capable screen. :'(

You can get 24"-30" 3D Monitors...i assume they work also?

morlock

TTP said:
BTW, I hope they also release the 3D version of the KZ2 bullet demo. That would be nuts.
I have seen that one in 3D, and to be honest that was not very impressive compared to the motorstorm demo, LBP and SSHD. Maybe because it flickered the most of them but I did'nt get the sense of depth as in eg motorstorm - that one was amazing!

Adamm

TTP said:
What's even funnier is that both rooms share the same perspective making it look like screen is a window into an adjacent room.

I was had changed to "Luxe TV" as its one of the few channels in the UK that you can guarantee is always showing something HD :lol

burgerdog

Adamm said:
4bS5y.jpg

Haha, why do you still have the Viera sticker? I removed it from my set as soon as I set up the TV.

Quaz51

squicken said:
In fact, it's possible that an HDMI 1.5 will come along soon since 1.4 does not support 3D 1080p@60fps x2.

1.4 support 3D 1080p60 but not mandatory for 3DTV (and not supported by actual 3DTV)

Adamm

burgerdog said:
Haha, why do you still have the Viera sticker? I removed it from my set as soon as I set up the TV.

I had literately just set it up when i took that photo, dont worry i removed it soon after :D

Quaz51

Adamm said:
4bS5y.jpg

it's my TV :)

Top Bottom