• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 3D Gaming Impressions Thread

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Since 3D patches are rolling out for games such as Super Stardust HD, Wipeout HD and Pain (a Motorstorm 2 3D demo should be up soon as well), I think it's a good idea to create an impressions thread.

So, if you have the required equipment and content it would be nice of you if you could share your impressions here. Details about which 3D TV you've got would be much appreciated as well.

NOTE: Please don't turn this thread into a "3D RULES vs 3D SUCKS" one. Actually, if mods agree, I'd make such comments reason for ban in this thread.

As for me, I don't have a 3D display yet so I can only contribute with the following info:

- Super Stardust HD 5.00 now runs @ full 1080p/60 fps in 2D mode. Even in split-screen!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
*Thread Hijack*
We need screenshot war between 1920x1080 and 1280x720/4xAA SSDHD. Or at least to know which one looks better.

Sectus

TTP said:
Super Stardust HD 5.00 now runs @ full 1080p/60 fps in 2D mode. Even in split-screen!
To hell with 3D, that's huge news! I haven't been able to enjoy Super Stardust multiplayer because of the framerate. But now as it's 60fps in multi too, that'll give me a good excuse to start playing it again.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sectus said:
To hell with 3D, that's huge news! I haven't been able to enjoy Super Stardust multiplayer because of the framerate. But now as it's 60fps in multi too, that'll give me a good excuse to start playing it again.
It was only made possible because they optimized their engine to run that much faster to be able to work in 3D :p Thank the 3D Gods from Finlandia.

Rhindle

There's approximately 1 Gaffer that owns a 3D capable TV, so I suspect you won't be getting too many "impressions."

noah111

Still Alive
Rhindle said:
There's approximately 1 Gaffer that owns a 3D capable TV, so I suspect you won't be getting too many "impressions."
Yeah, I thought this was a roundup of press impressions or something. :lol Come on gaffers, take the
$2,000+
bullet for the rest of us.

This is what I like about 3D, even though I won't be able to take advantage of it right now in my situation. The benefits to the 2D experience are so vast that I'm hopeful that it will become used more and more. KZ3 is going to be pushing 3D while maintaining strong graphics and I can't wait to see the comparisons.

Psykotik

46 inch samsung C7000 owner here

nbd574.jpg

squicken

I will post impressions once the US stuff goes up. The only game I have is Motorstorm 2, and I'm not even sure I need that or if it is just a free demo for everyone.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
squicken said:
I will post impressions once the US stuff goes up. The only game I have is Motorstorm 2, and I'm not even sure I need that or if it is just a free demo for everyone.

Retail Motorstorm 2 is no use. You'll need the free 3D demo. Should be up on the PlayStation Store soon.

I'd like to hear some impressions on how Wipeout HD looks and plays under the 3D update. 60 fps?

I was originally going to wait until PS4 to upgrade my HDTV (bought the highest end model LCD available back in 2008), but if the 3D stuff pans out I may wait for the second refresh of 3D LED's instead.:D

Blackface

Banned
Sentry said:
Bragging is nice and all, but this is an impressions thread soo... GO PLAY EVERY 3D THING YOU CAN FIND, and report back. :D

Op said to post what TV you are using.

Anyway, I have a big feeling next-gen will be all 3D. So I am going to have to make the jump for a 3d-tv soon.

squicken

TTP said:
Retail Motorstorm 2 is no use. You'll need the free 3D demo. Should be up on the PlayStation Store soon.

Thanks. I checked the UK store and didn't see anything. I'll probably have to wait until tomorrow afternoon.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I didn't play but I got to see Motorstorm 2 HD in an electronics store over the weekend. It was very cool you could totally see out into the distance and stuff. Some of the brush and stuff flying out you looked a little weird, but it was definitely neat. The wife liked it too.

I'd also like to mention I didn't get dizzy at all.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hmm, you think playing stuff in 3D for lengths of time would cause vision deterioration? Serious question.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kagari said:
Hmm, you think playing stuff in 3D for lengths of time would cause vision deterioration? Serious question.

As much as masturbating I suppose.

CryptiK

Played 3D at a Sony event Tested it on:

Motorstorm PR: Was fantastic but very distracting but still playable.
Wipeout HD: 3D worked for this perfectly honestly I think this game was made for 3D
SuperStar Dust HD: As above feels like this game was made for 3D was absolutly fantastic.

filopilo

Played all these first batch of games.
I'm completly sold to 3d (did some extensive professional tests on it too ) : once you're into that new "game space" ,you don't want to leave it.And yes ,the trade-of are worth it.

A good motorstorm player will be even better in 3d cokpit view,but it coold be much better visually if the game was made for 3d from the ground up.

The problem for now is that these games have the 3d retrofitted in them.Except for SSHD (it's perfect.They heavilly optimised the engine).
Wipeout and motorstorm have some visual issues that could be fixed with reworking the assets ,and a better image IQ (MLAA ? ).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SSHD was confirmed 720p/60 for 3D.

Well, when I say 60fps I mean, 60 pairs of frames a second (i.e. 120fps).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mr_nothin said:
Ok, since SSHD runs @ 60fps even in splitscreen mode...does that mean it runs at 60fps with 3D enabled too?

It was confirmed months ago to run at 60fps (120fps technically) in 3D mode too. But not @ 1080p. It goes 720p in 3D.

Top Bottom