• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 AR Technology

Tripolygon

Banned
Sony has been researching AR technology for a long time, they release a few demo videos from time to time to show how far along they have come. This is the PS4 AR demo they released today.

1. PS4 AR Fluid Simulation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTBWUZSKqgQ
4kuzt8Z.jpg
5veiCZ8.jpg

2. PS4 Dynamic Lighting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olx8XKV-P2g
3. PS4 Trading Card Recognition
Using the PS4 "trading card recognition"
is a technology demonstration that recognizes high-speed pattern of trading card, to display and play music and characters named after the card. I propose a form of card games in the future as expressed in the comics and animation.

mores at this link.
http://www.jp.playstation.com/event/20140416_niconico_chokaigi.html#future

searched but didn't find any thread on this.

They should have tech in place to do this, and just move it over to PS4. They did it with the PS3 and the PSEye for years, and they have done it with the Vita since launch.

The Llama

I've always been surprised AR hasn't been given more of a chance. I remember the PS3 card game that used it was pretty cool, though the game itself was kind of mediocre. I guess its hard to account for everyone having a completely different room setup (so its hard to make games based around it), but still...

CamHostage

Boy, I am confused by that lighting demo! The character lighting, I get, it's just playing shadow/light over a digital model based on position, but how it is seeing a flashlight, seeing a lightspot on the ground, and from there is able to interpolate, with enough reality to fool my eye at least, a realistic positioning of a lightsource, that's crazy. (There were some moments that didn't work, like when the light came full bright across the dinosaur and I think it assumed the flashlight swapped spots... maybe it's not using the flashlight's positioning, just the spotlight's size and dispersion? But then when he threw a filter over the light and it could understand that too, that was a real nice effect.)

AR hasn't done a lot for gaming yet, but I've bought The Box and a few others in order to support some cool development. Stuff like this and Skylanders and real-world Pac-Man and other interesting cross-pollination of the real and digital worlds are really interesting to see explored.

HoloPoP01.png

zomg! is there a video of this somewhere?

Unfortunately, from the description, it sounds like "Super Cyber ​​Transmission Box "VitaHoloPoP" may just be a concept at this point. But a cool concept nevertheless. Tune in during the NicoNico video on the 26/27th, maybe they'll have more on it?

Cheap Google Translate:
"I will propose a method for directing wonderful PS Vita figures that decorate your room.
The figure in the future just is not only decorate. A combination of a variety of technology, let's create together the content that you can enjoy together!"

Nzyme32

Wasn't aware they had been releasing info on their AR efforts. Very cool. So that's MS, Sony, CastAR, Valve, google, probably a few more as well. Should be good when these finally come out

jaypah

Thanks for posting. I love AR stuff! I bought Start the Party just to marvel at how seamless it worked. Can't wait for more of it to come to PS4.

Loofy

I wonder if its possible to combine AR with Morpheus, but I think you would need cameras on the headset itself...
Hmm maybe they do end up putting a camera on the unit.

Thanks for posting. I love AR stuff! I bought Start the Party just to marvel at how seamless it worked. Can't wait for more of it to come to PS4.

Start the Party got such a kicking in reviews, but bloody hell it was fun in a group, and a great demonstration of the potential of Move and AR. I wish they'd carried on supporting it by adding mini-games rather than making an unnecessary sequel.

I wonder if its possible to combine AR with Morpheus, but I think you would need cameras on the headset itself...
Hmm maybe they do end up putting a camera on the unit.

I think there's a front-facing camera for exactly that; AR graphics over the real world video view. Which of course is begging for some Fatal Frame action.

jaypah

Start the Party got such a kicking in reviews, but bloody hell it was fun in a group, and a great demonstration of the potential of Move and AR. I wish they'd carried on supporting it by adding mini-games rather than making an unnecessary sequel.

Hell yeah, we used to bust it out at parties all the time. Shit looked like a commercial.

CamHostage

That holo VR thing for Vita is just... I don't even know what I'm looking at

Unfortunately, I think it's a lot simpler and less exciting than we both imagined.

If I am reading Japanese reports correctly, t's a diorama (including the toy characters) with a digital overlay. So the Toro demo has this set sort of like the Doko Demo Issho home room, and these two toy characters in it (which are on motorized lines, like the old magnetic field hockey games.) Then the Vita goes on the diorama and projects an image, so the TV comes to life with live news from maybe the Mainichi Issho, or the two toy characters have a conversation with digital speech bubbles popping over their heads. The duck demo I think has colored water, and then the digital ducks are superimposed and the Vita camera can see the water movement well enough to put the ducks realistically on the sloshing water in the tank. I don't know what the flower is, but I think one of the rigs is a projection hologram, so if you wanted to make your own Holosseum emulator, maybe this is your product.

Some cool technology to play with whatever the case, but I'm not sure how any of this might make the market and it's not for gaming use (unless SEGA takes interest...) and apparently there's already some cellphone version of HoloPop that I couldn't find info on but may be out there. All the same, good experimenting.

Top Bottom