• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 does not require an internet connection

I can't even believe... maybe by the end of the gen it'll drive down DDR5 prices enough that lower prices for that sort of RAM will be possible in the future, but at the start?

oh, we fucked. Seems like another Blu-Ray situation, "get a second job", only without the added benefit of trying to get a foothold in another industry format.

We'll see though. God, if it comes in at $399.99 with 8GB DDR5 it'll be revelatory.

yeah but still if it's $399. we need consumers to actually BUY the system. Vita this system shall not be! Microsoft will not set a price lower than ps4~

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is big. Hopefully MS understands how important this is and adjusts their plans accordingly if they were otherwise.

Maybe now fighting games can actually thrive next gen.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
On behalf of all antisocial people, Thank you Shu.

i knew that they wouldn't force us to use the social shit if we didnt want to. i very much hate "social" features but as long as they don't force me to do it i can live with it.

Used games allowed? CHECK!
No need to always be online? CHECK!
Region free? ???

Come on Sony, make it three for three!

Used games is anything but check.

I am pleased to hear about no always online, but I feel it's nothing more than a hollow bullet point/statement and the reality will be a console that's severely reduced in capability and features when offline.

upandaway

I am pleased to hear about no always online, but I feel it's nothing more than a hollow bullet point/statement and the reality will be a console that's severely reduced in capability and features when offline.
How can a console block used games if it's not always online?

How can a console block used games if it's not always online?

Require the user to go online to authorise the game otherwise it plays in a trial state or has features disabled.

There are a number of ways to encourage (force) people to go online without having to have the requirement of always online.

Loudninja

Dude will you drop it please?

I don't know how many times this has to be explain.

Boss Man

I haven't even thought about broadband caps. My ISP has one now at like 200GB/month. Might be plenty but I'm not sure what all of the background 'sneaky' game downloading will be doing. Hopefully that's something the user will have some control over.

Dude will you drop it please?

I don't know how many times this has to be explain.

I've dropped it until there's more information, but I would like for you to explain the various contradiction and vague statements.

For example,

Yoshida's answer during our talk seemed to confirm his original statement, as he stated that "all disc games on PS4 will work with any PS4."

He was a bit more coy when addressing whether any such restrictions could be employed by other publishers, as with specific registration codes or other technologies designed to hinder the used market. All he would say was, "It's a publisher decision," and that "there are all sorts of capabilities."

And then there's this,

Update: This is the statement Sony gave Game Informer, in a story also released today:

“We are just now announcing the basic vision and strategy of PS4 and will have more information to share regarding used games later this year. But PlayStation has a long history of keeping its gamers happy and we won’t make decisions that damage our relationship with them.”

So it sounds like there is something going on with PlayStation 4 and used games, and we’ll learn more later in the year.

Are we really going to keep pretending that the PS4 won't have a used games solution in place and that it will be much different to the online pass solution used now?

Sadly, with 8GB DDR5, I can't see anything less than $450 :(

$450 is reasonable for all the shit they're packing in. This forum was full of "Will Buy at $399!" when it was still rumored to be 4GB of GDDR5.

be honest- $50 for the extra RAM premium would be worth it, as long as basic online play is still free.

Demon Ice

Banned
I love the lowered expectations for next gen.

You mean I don't HAVE to stick my dick in a meat grinder?! AWESOME!!!

Haha I was just thinking this. Used games / not having to always be online are usually taken for granted, but I guess having the confirmation is nice, especially in light of the MS/NextBox rumors.

Good news in general. Not everyone has broadband even if you do, when PSN or your local internet provider goes down you can still play SP games at least. There's no downside to this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Were they seeding all these horrible rumors about always-on, no used games, etc., just to make their announcement of a status quo console look really good? :p

Top Bottom