• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Finally Beats the Xbox 360 In Sales Numbers according to VGChartz.

Shmunter

I’m often curious on the xbox360 numbers. Myself and a number of my friends had purchased multiple consoles due to rrod. I can only speculate we weren’t the only ones.

I’m often curious on the xbox360 numbers. Myself and a number of my friends had purchased multiple consoles due to rrod. I can only speculate we weren’t the only ones.
According to square trade warranties, A very large and trusted source of replacements, most of rrod was replaced directly from ms. Those units would never be included in retail sales numbers that's been reported. It's a false narrative.

Shmunter

According to square trade warranties, A very large and trusted source of replacements, most of rrod was replaced directly from ms. Those units would never be included in retail sales numbers that's been reported. It's a false narrative.

If stats state most were warranty than so be it. Personally got hit twice with post warranty, as with friends. Maybe we were in the minority.

Can you show Zhuge graph?

Can you show what his comments were on the graph also?

If I remember right it had a bunch of caveat to make it “accurate”

I just need to see the chart again.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/worl...ware-sales-for-gen-6-7-8-data-inside.1028551/

He said "closed the gap". That means also PS3 beated X360 later on. Since members here on forum mentioned zhuge for some infos, why not then take that info as legit because EEDAR and others aren't official. So, PS3 beated X360.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
This entire thread is a shit show but why isn’t anyone just referencing Wikipedia and it’s offical numbers from official sources of that generation?

If anyone else knows better or has more reliable information update Wikipedia.

360 > PS3.
PS4 > One.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/worl...ware-sales-for-gen-6-7-8-data-inside.1028551/

He said "closed the gap". That means also PS3 beated X360 later on. Since members here on forum mentioned zhuge for datas, why not then. So, PS3 beated X360.
"Closed the gap" in no way means surprised. You are taking your biased approach and extracting your own beliefs. No doubt sony got close, but if 360 was surpassed it would've been shouted from the rooftops by Sony, and you know that.

"Closed the gap" in no way means surprised. You are taking your biased approach and extracting your own beliefs. No doubt sony got close, but if 360 was surpassed it would've been shouted from the rooftops by Sony, and you know that.

Not necessarily. Also, you won't hear news when Switch will beat Xbone sometimes.
So, according to Zhuge and NPD's EEDAR, PS3 beated X360 globally.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Maybe this would help :

hardware1oakf.png
I see it now on Desktop, and i think i have to report a bug on mobile since now the original post also shows this screen. Thanks for the effort!

There's nothing to discuss with this guy because all he's doing is extrapolating fantasy. We have the official numbers for Sony and Microsoft from October and November of 2013, and Microsoft's numbers from June of 2014.

There's no debate in this conversation, Microsoft was millions ahead. 80 million shipped vs. 80 million sold-through means 76-77 million sold-through vs. 80 million sold-through. Then a mere 7 months later Microsoft posted 84 million sold-through. Why do you think Sony's last figure they ever posted was a shipped figure? From there on out they merged their figures so no data could be pulled, they were well behind and they hid it.

You're wasting your time with this guy.

There's nothing to discuss with this guy because all he's doing is extrapolating fantasy. We have the official numbers for Sony and Microsoft from October and November of 2013, and Microsoft's numbers from June of 2014.

There's no debate in this conversation, Microsoft was millions ahead. 80 million shipped vs. 80 million sold-through means 76-77 million sold-through vs. 80 million sold-through. Then a mere 7 months later Microsoft posted 84 million sold-through. Why do you think Sony's last figure they ever posted was a shipped figure? From there on out they merged their figures so no data could be pulled, they were well behind and they hid it.

You're wasting your time with this guy.

And yet you said in other thread "Zhuge said 35 million Xbones at the end of 2017". But there is no official data. Hahaha. So, according to Zhuge ( since you mentioned him in other thread for Xbone info ), PS3 beated X360. That's good, man!

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Also, you won't hear news when Switch will beat Xbone sometimes.
So, according to Zhuge and NPD's EEDAR, PS3 beated X360 globally.
No. Once again, zhuge said "closed the gap" not surpassed. EEDAR is a proven guesstimate. There is no official Sony announcement that PS3 surpasses the x360. Therefore, Wii#1, x360#2, ps3#3. No shame for anyone. The hole Sony has pulled itself out of last gen is commendable as is x1 this gen. Profitability is key. If you understand retail, you understand that #1 is nothing else than bragging rights when all corporations make millions, and in ms case, billions.

And yet you said in other thread "Zhuge said 35 million Xbones at the end of 2017". But there is no official data. Hahaha. So, according to Zhuge, PS3 beated X360.
Zhuge is one guy, you have to take data from sources all over the place and form the most reasonable common denominator for missing data. Even then that doesn't mean it's accurate, they're nothing but estimations and extrapolation.

I mean why did you post this? It's factually incorrect.

Maybe this would help :

hardware1oakf.png

82 million Xbox 360's sold December of 2015? It sold-through 84 million by June of 2014... Source... MICROSOFT...

Holy shit man you use some bunk information.

No. Once again, zhuge said "closed the gap" not surpassed. EEDAR is a proven guesstimate. There is no official Sony announcement that PS3 surpasses the x360. Therefore, Wii#1, x360#2, ps3#3. No shame for anyone. The hole Sony has pulled itself out of last gen is commendable as is x1 this gen. Profitability is key. If you understand retail, you understand that #1 is nothing else than bragging rights when all corporations make millions, and in ms case, billions.

"Closed the gap" because PS3 was selling at faster rate than X360. And surely PS3 continued to sell at faster rate after the gap was closed, not PS3 stop selling after that. Logic is, Xbone fan and MisterXmedia's fan, PS3 outsold X360 globally in the end. That's good.

Zhuge is one guy, you have to take data from sources all over the place and form the most reasonable common denominator for missing data. Even then that doesn't mean it's accurate, they're nothing but estimations and extrapolation.

82 million Xbox 360's sold December of 2015? It sold-through 84 million by June of 2014... Source... MICROSOFT...

And PS3 continued to sell and beat X360 in the end. Thanks man! Damn Xbone fans. LOL! It's OK when Xbone fans use Zhuges ( unofficial source ) data for Xbone numbers, but DON'T EVEN TRY TO USE data for PS sales from Zhuge. It's false! LOL

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Two different metrics.

84m from MS is shipment.
The graph is sold-through.

"Closed the gap" because PS3 was selling at faster rate than X360. And surely PS3 continued to sell at faster rate after the gap was closed, not PS3 stop selling after that. Logic is, Xbone fan and MisterXmedia's fan, PS3 outsold X360 globally in the end. That's good.
Your continued false narrative about me, personally off site, proves you argue in bad faith. Nothing you say can be taken truthfully.

Last edited:
And PS3 continued to sell and beat X360 in the end. Thanks man! Damn Xbone fans. LOL! It's OK when Xbone fans use Zhuges ( unofficial source ) data for Xbone numbers, but DON'T EVEN TRY TO USE data for PS sales from Zhuge. It's false! LOL
So, you admit to believing that these numbers for console sales may not be accurate, yet continue to present them as facts?

ethomaz

Banned
They are sold-through numbers, you're confused.
It is shipment...

Code:
FY          Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn      FY       LTD

2005/06         -       1.5      1.7      1.8       5.0      5.0

2006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7       6.6     11.6

2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3       8.7     20.3

2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2      11.2     31.5

2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5      10.3     41.8

2010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7      1.7      13.7     55.3

2011/12        2.3      8.2      1.4      1.1      13.0     68.3

2012/13        1.7      5.9      1.3      1.0      9.9      78.2

2013/14        1.2      3.5      0.8       -        -       83.7

That is the shipment up to March 2014... there is no way 84m be sold-through because that forces shipment for June 2014 to be higher than previous year (1.0m) and previous quarter (0.8m) when 360 was in phase out and shipping less each quarter.

They probably shipped around 0.5m in FYQ4 that brings the overall shipment to 84.2m at end of June 2014.

That makes the mid June claim correct... they indeed shipped over 84m units of 360 when they announced it.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned

You still haven't learned yet, have you? Considering you were banned from the other VGchartz thread.

Grow up.

It is shipment...

Code:
FY          Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn      FY       LTD

2005/06         -       1.5      1.7      1.8       5.0      5.0

2006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7       6.6     11.6

2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3       8.7     20.3

2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2      11.2     31.5

2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5      10.3     41.8

2010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7      1.7      13.7     55.3

2011/12        2.3      8.2      1.4      1.1      13.0     68.3

2012/13        1.7      5.9      1.3      1.0      9.9      78.2

2013/14        1.2      3.5      0.8       -        -       83.7

That is the shipment up to March 2014... there is no way 84m be sold-through because that forces shipment for June 2014 to be higher than previous year (1.0m) and previous quarter (0.8m) when 360 was in phase out and shipping less each quarter.

They probably shipped around 0.5m in FYQ4 that brings the overall shipment to 84.2m at end of June 2014.

That makes the mid June claim correct.
Can you please link to source?

Airbus Jr

Banned
I did not "come from there". Another lie from you and personal attack accusation.

So..since you ve been accusing other member for spreading false reports...citing source from unreliable website...

Perhaps...you can share us a more accurate source than VGchartz ? Because you seems to be rather.....resourceful....

Last edited:
So..since you ve been accusing other member for spreading false reports...citing source from unreliable website...

Perhaps...you can share us a more accurate source than VGchartz ? Because you seems to be rather.....resourceful....
Vgchartz is well known to not be accurate stated by evidence posted several times. I am not responsible to tell you where to find the most accurate information as I do not pay NPD for their numbers.

ethomaz

Banned
"They probably"
2013 Ap-Ju: 1.0m shipped
2014 Ja-Ma: 0.8m shipped

Do the maths it is pretty obvious how the 84m means shipment lol

“Probably” is just because it could be 0.4m, 0.5m, 0.6m etc... anything lower than 0.8m is valid and taking the date of 84m announce the most fitting is 0.5m or 0.6m for the quarter.

Hey my initial point is the same... 84m sold-through at June 2014 was impossible because they barely shipped that at that time.

But you can defy maths or maybe MS has some magic to sell something they didn’t shipped.

Last edited:
2013 Ap-Ju: 1.0m shipped
2014 Ja-Ma: 0.8m shipped

Do the maths it is pretty obvious how the 84m means shipment lol

“Probably” is just because it could be 0.4m, 0.5m, 0.6m etc... anything lower than 0.8m is valid and taking the date of 84m announce the most fitting is 0.5m or 0.6m for the quarter.

Hey my initial point is the same... 84m sold-through at June 2014 was impossible because they barely shipped that at that time.
I don't doubt at all that the final count is very close. However, given Sony's history of sales disclosure, don't you think that if they had actually surpassed MS xbox 360 sales they would have stated so. It's all so ambiguous. Perhaps it was so close that both MS and Sony are hesitant to claim. Either way, there is no official disclosures beyond what was last reported as x360 over PS3.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't doubt at all that the final count is very close. However, given Sony's history of sales disclosure, don't you think that if they had actually surpassed MS xbox 360 sales they would have stated so. It's all so ambiguous. Perhaps it was so close that both MS and Sony are hesitant to claim. Either way, there is no official disclosures beyond what was last reported as x360 over PS3.
Actually PS3 and 360 announced 80 million near each other with only one month of difference (November for PS3, October for 360) that means their sales were close it other and PS3 constantly outsold it after that.

That is why nobody believes 360 ended ahead last gen because PS3 sales was always stronger than 360 (360 was always stronger in US but we are talking about WW sales here plus 360 had a year more of sales... every single year in last gen PS3 outsold 360 that is how it closed the gap even with a year less of sales).

With only 1 million difference PS3 was probably ahead 360 when they entered 2014.

Last edited:
Actually PS3 and 360 announced 80 million near each other with only one month of difference (November for PS3, October for 360) that means their sales were close it other and PS3 constantly outsold it after that.

That is why nobody believes 360 ended ahead last gen because PS3 sales was always stronger than 360 (360 was always stronger in US but we are talking about WW sales here).

With only 1 million difference PS3 was probably ahead 360 when they entered 2014.
I feel like you are skirting the obvious tells. Sony would have proclaimed themselves the victor over 360 if they actually had the sold through sells to back it up over MS. No doubt it was extremely close. Perhaps, too close for Sony to make the statement as they ALWAYS do.

ethomaz

Banned
I feel like you are skirting the obvious tells. Sony would have proclaimed themselves the victor over 360 if they actually had the sold through sells to back it up over MS. No doubt it was extremely close. Perhaps, too close for Sony to make the statement as they ALWAYS do.
Why they should proclaim anything when they are selling and proclaim the PS4 destroying XB1 in sales every few months in 2014?

Think a bit about.

They already have the PS4 when PS4 outsold 360... they are already doing that with PS4 and they didn’t wish to marketing PS3 anymore.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member

lucius

I know they didn’t include sales from the replacing units they finally got sued to fix, but what about all the gamers that had systems breaking that while they denied anything was wrong with 360 had to replace systems, because it did have the best games at the time but they kept dragging their feet acting like “things break” stance.

I babied my original 360 after I saw all the problems people were having but mine still broke it was replaced free eventually but it was pretty obvious to me the original system was like a ticking time bomb if you played it, so when the Slim finally came out I felt I had to get that . If I had confidence the fixed system would have been fine I would never got another one. Of course they wouldn’t count the fixed systems as sales though .

Petrae

Chartz is objectively SHIT. I can generate more reliable data by throwing darts while blindfolded at a dartboard.

I understand that NPD data isn’t as accessible, but fudging data isn’t the way to go. There’s a good reason GAF used to have a ban on that site.

He's also not commenting on the fact PS3's were basically discontinued at many retailers in eastern europe, the US/CAD< and south and central america while the 360's were still on shelves. In most of the US retailers had removed PS3's or only had maybe one or two back-stock of "super slims" once 2015 came around.

Sony was announcing PS3 numbers for awhile, including the 80 million one month after MS when MS had a good holiday for 360 sales in NPD while PS3 was barely a thing in comparison. But when later summer 2014 MS announced the 84 million+ sold Sony started putting out family numbers and only separating PS4 from that.

If they actually beat the 360 they likely would have continued putting out numbers. Most likely the 360 ended ahead but it was likely very very close.

Top Bottom