• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 System Update 5.50 Beta Adds A Supersampling Option For PS4 Pro

DonF

At last! The 5.50 beta has been updated and includes the long awaited option!

Firmware550-1-1024x576.jpg

Source

What is supersampling? Is an anti aliasing method that uses a higher internal resolution than the one displayed. So this benefits greatly persons with a ps4 pro with a monitor or tv that has a resolution lower than 4k.

Why is this a big deal? Because some games had the option, but other not. Now its a system feature, not game dependent.

Now, not all games will see a drastic improvement, but you can expect cleaner image from new games if you own a ps4 pro and a 1080p or 2k display.

Last edited:

gbbloke

Neo Member
At last! Im really happy to hear this. It took a Xbox One X launch to make them realize, but it was worth it!

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I didn't even know the beta invites had gone out - guess I wasn't picked this time.

Fbh

About time. Shame this wasn't there from day 1.

Any news on other features included in the update ?

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I just bought a Pro yesterday. GameStop was running good trade in deals. I'm still on a 1080 set so I'm pumped about this.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Are there any comparison shots yet? Id be interested in how this will come down.

On a side note, I wonder what ps4 pro features dark souls will have

Not Drake

Great news if true. Library QOL changes are welcome too. I'll hold for official confirmation and see for myself if it's done well enough. Good effort though.

DonF

Bloodborne isn't pro patched, so it won't affect it, right?
I don't think so. Only boost mode, which will improve frame rates. This is for resolution and bloodborne is 1080p. This is for games that have pro support and render at higher than 1080p res. So that if you play in a 1080p display, the game will render internally at a higher res and downsample.

Rellik

I think it will. Boost mode works systemwide and improved frame rates on games. Maybe it only effects dynamic resolution games?

Boost mode only works on games that aren't Pro patched.

Supersampling only works on games that are Pro patched.

So boost mode works on Bloodborne.
Supersampling will do nothing on Bloodborne.

Quixz

Just reported someone in error instead of reply sorry :oops:

Supersampling should've been here day one but at least it shows Sony is listening to us.

Rayderism

I would assume that Supersampling will only work for games that got a resolution bump-up beyond 1080p on the Pro. Maybe people with 720p TV's could universally benefit.

Unknown?

I would assume that Supersampling will only work for games that got a resolution bump-up beyond 1080p on the Pro. Maybe people with 720p TV's could universally benefit.
Then why call it systemwide when it only works on a tiny amount of games? Half of the Pro supported games have supersampling. Pretty lame feature if it only works on those games.

cozomel

If you were in previous betas you can just go into settings and download it. They don't use codes anymore.

The option currently errors for me though.

I've been in every beta and it just says that i have the lastest firmware installed so it doesnt work.

And f-ya to supersampling.

Armorian

Banned
Then why call it systemwide when it only works on a tiny amount of games? Half of the Pro supported games have supersampling. Pretty lame feature if it only works on those games.

All pro games have 2160 mode and this option will allow this mode to be downsampled to 1080p resolution. Games like Ezio Collection for example have native 2160p resolution but are locked by devs to 1920x1080 in 1080p mode, now FHD users will be able to run this game with downsampling.

Hopefully forced 8x af for boost mode. If they add SMAA filter thats even better!

System wide SMAA would fuck up fonts and existing AA solution in games so don't count on that.

Last edited:

cozomel

And supersampling only works if the resoltuion is higher than 1080 in order to be able to downsample it from the higher res to 1080p. So explain to us how it work on 1080p only games? Just cause it says system wide and you're misinterpreting it, doesnt mean its alme. Many people have wanted this feature (which honestly should have been there since the beginning) so many will be happy to have it.

JP

@NeoMetallix
It can't work on games that aren't rendered at a higher resolution than screen. The resolution being higher than the native resolution is a big of what supersampling is.

Last edited:

cozomel

Hopefully forced 8x af for boost mode. If they add SMAA filter thats even better!
I wish, this should be the next thing we all push for. The low texture filtering of many games this gen is one of the biggest letdowns n my opinion, that along with not even being able to hold at least a steady 30fps in many games.

Unknown?

@NeoMetallix
It can't work on games that aren't rendered at a higher resolution than screen. The resolution being higher than the native resolution is a big of what supersampling is.
Don’t PCs supersample on a hardware level not on software? If it’s powerful enough you can render old games in 16k that weren’t designed for anything above 1080. Obviously the Pro can’t render every game at 4K but I would think it could render a higher res on most games that are 1080p. Surely they could make it work for the PS2 emulator also.

I just think it’s pointless when devs can support it. If this downsamples games with a Pro patch then there is no reason a dev couldn’t support supersampling in the first place.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Supersampling is nice, but most modern games have great AA solutions already. While it makes for a great buzzword in forum wars, most people are not going to notice much of a difference. I'm guessing games with noticeable texture aliasing will benefit most. Since most games support it, the number of games where this matters and has noticeable aliasing is going to be small. Like I said this was more about console wars then IQ and technology.

It should have been an option available at the launch of the Pro but this is fantastic news and it's better late than never. Now Pro owners can experience one of the upsides to gaming on a PC or an Xbox One X. Competition is good.

What are the odds of Sony releasing a "slim" revision of the PS4 Pro this year? A slim Pro bundled with Red Dead Redemption 2 at the end of the year would shift a tonne of units.

Last edited:

DonF

Supersampling is nice, but most modern games have great AA solutions already. While it makes for a great buzzword in forum wars, most people are not going to notice much of a difference. I'm guessing games with noticeable texture aliasing will benefit most. Since most games support it, the number of games where this matters and has noticeable aliasing is going to be small. Like I said this was more about console wars then IQ and technology.
Its a nice bonus for ps4 pro owners with non 4k displays.

Aranea

I already own a 4K TV but this is a really nice feature for those don't have one. A couple of my friends will benefit from this new update.

cozomel

Damn, I can see the option to download/install it on my EU account but its fails right after it starts the download, and fix?

thelastword

Banned
At last! Im really happy to hear this. It took a Xbox One X launch to make them realize, but it was worth it!
My goodness, only a few games didn't have supersampling on PRO, not a substantial list at all. Now that it is in the OS, devs don't have to worry about a manual implementation and of course, that's better, but the majority of PRO titles had supersampling, so it's not like it's a new thing to PRO owners.

JP

@NeoMetallix
We aren't talking about a PC though, we're talking about a completely different type of software environment even if the hardware is similar,

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
My goodness, only a few games didn't have supersampling on PRO, not a substantial list at all. Now that it is in the OS, devs don't have to worry about a manual implementation and of course, that's better, but the majority of PRO titles had supersampling, so it's not like it's a new thing to PRO owners.

Sorry but that is not accurate. A few to me is at the 4 or 5 mark at most. It's a much longer list.

Good to see sony doing something finally.

Last edited:

TimFL

Is there no full patch notes/list yet? Posting a topic for each feature is a bit... spammy IMO.

Rellik

maybe they knew this option was coming

I think it was in that PowerPoint presentation that was posted on oldGAF so it wouldn't surprise me. I can't remember the name of the poster who posted it but yeah wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

Took their sweet time though.

Top Bottom