• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5’s Boost Clock Design Opens Up a Lot of Opportunities, Says Developer

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I haven't seen these "spell binding visuals". I have however seen a lot of people being underwhelmed by them because of unrealistic expectations.

I personally wasn't underwhelmed because I know the generational leaps we've seen from PS2 to PS3 or PS1 to PS2 aren't happening anymore. Most of the games shown thus far didn't look dramatically ahead of their PS4 counterparts save for the obvious massive boost in resolution. PS5 games looked every bit as good as I expected them to. They didn't exceed my expectations.
I argue the exact opposite. None of the games shown at the sony event including 1st party wowed anybody. In fact, the overhyping of the SSD died right after the event. In fact, i argue many looked cross gen.
There's been zero "spellbinding" visuals so far. Talk about hyperbolic statement.

This goes for SeX and PS5. The best visuals shown so far are Horizon 2 and that shooter game MS opened with at their show a month ago (forget what it's called). The rest of the games shown are current gen up-ports, indie games, or cut scene kinds of clips. And that Epic demo was no better than the average clip shown by MS or Sony.

Last chance for big next gen visuals in the near term comes from MS's first party support show July 23.

More devs impressed by PS5 hardware, more salty warriors upset by what people with actual access to the devkits are impressed by.

Impressed by throttling? Impressed by needing a boost mode due to limitations/shortcomings of the system? If you actually knew what this unknown indie dev was saying, you'd understand how laughable it is.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

just been reading about amd smartshift and saw this..

“Basically, if you were playing a game and the CPU is sitting at 3.5GHz full bore at 35% utilization (just an example) and the GPU is hitting 100% utilization but not reaching full speed because of thermal/power constraints on the entire system it can dynamically pull back the CPU and increase the GPU available power resulting in overall increase in the experience and performance.”

so is this how the ps5 will handle things?

link to where i got the text from https://wccftech.com/what-is-amds-smartshift-and-what-does-it-do/

Whenever I see a Neo Member these days, I'm wary, since you know me so very well huh! and of course, there have been a bevy of alts......
People don't need a subscription to visit the forum.
It doesn't need to boost from anything. A game will use what it needs, as long as it hits it's target. No need for extra heat and extra processing, till it's needed.....It's a smart design and it will help with cooling and the longevity of the machine.

To make it simple, if I am porting Pong to PS5, I don't need the clocks at max. I can set the PS5 to run Pong with only the processing power it needs. Now if Pong happens to be pushing lots of physics and it looks twice what the Unreal demo looks like, then I know It's necessary to push PS5 to it max clocks....
Devs can't push their games to the Max because of these limitations, unlike stable frequency, people don't buy next gen to play pong.
PS5 has shown us some spell binding visuals, that finally made people say OMG "Next gen is finally here". In case you missed it, the Unreal demo (real-time), Horizon 2, Kena, Ratchet and Clank, Demon Souls, Ghost Wire, Pragmata, just to name a few.....We have already been privy to next gen visuals. They were astonishing and yet they are still early, like the Unreal demo running at only a fraction of the GPU speed at 4.5ms.....

You may not be stoked, that's fine, but what's with the party pooping attitude. If there is something you are more enthused for then share it we can discuss it, but a dev who is agnostic and he is not the first platform agnostic dev that is excited and speaking positives on PS5's design, but it seems you'd rather bury him at the far/dark corners of the earth.....
What games ? I wasn't impressed at all, they even butchered Grand Turismo 7 with all these texture popping etc...
UE5 was just a Demo like Hell Blade (real-time), do not expect games to look like what you see on Demo's.
You can throttle to the max but we prefer if you don’t?

What in the fuck?
Noise?

I don't think they meant it as in maxing out the clocks will damage the system.
Maybe because it can't maintain these clocks for a long period of time, this is a console and it will overheat, they need to balance the heat issue by down clocking.

Devs can't push their games to the Max because of these limitations, unlike stable frequency, people don't buy next gen to play pong.

What games ? I wasn't impressed at all, they even butchered Grand Turismo 7 with all these texture popping etc...
UE5 was just a Demo like Hell Blade (real-time), do not expect games to look like what you see on Demo's.

Maybe because it can't maintain these clocks for a long period of time, this is a console and it will overheat, they need to balance the heat issue by down clocking.

Are you saying the PS5 suffers from overheating issues?

I thought that rumor was false.

JimboJones

I'm still really confused with the PS5 boost stuff, going to need to wait for real world comparisons. Only positive i can see in it is a lot of games are traditionally bottlenecked by the gpu so being able to push the gpu a bit harder might actually help with most games.
But again I dunno if that the case here.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
In terms of performance there's no tangible benefit to boosting than getting more out of less for short periods of time. That's it.

Fixed frequencies are better for developers, there's no variance, it's predictable, optimization is easier. This isn't even debatable.
Anybody who says a tech option or design isn't debateable is FOS. By design everything can have it pros and cons, in some instances if you do a comparison, a design or product can excel in all areas tested. A vs B. The debate is in the pudding, aka the results. It's one thing to try and convince folk that a specific design is superior, but your results do not reflect that at all.....

I think out the gate so far, PS5 has shown us, yet again, not one, not just unreal, but a bevy of games that are realtime and looks the next gen part. It's design uptick which the devs are talking about is being proven true, not only through their words, but through what we have seen. If early UE code can look so good, if early Guerilla games can look so good, then such a new paradigm for devs is bringing an age or evolution to how games are made...

Boost mode in itself reveals limitations to its design.
Boost mode worked well on PRO, games used the extra power. I think it was a great feature. Boost clocks on the other hand are great too, it allows more flexibility for devs. You realize, if a dev needs more CPU power than GPU, the scales can balance to what he needs most. I think you guys need to bring better arguments here. Please expound on one scenario, where a dev doing an indie idealizes a console staying at peak clocks when he is already hitting the target.?

I haven't seen these "spell binding visuals". I have however seen a lot of people being underwhelmed by them because of unrealistic expectations.

I personally wasn't underwhelmed because I know the generational leaps we've seen from PS2 to PS3 or PS1 to PS2 aren't happening anymore. Most of the games shown thus far didn't look dramatically ahead of their PS4 counterparts save for the obvious massive boost in resolution. PS5 games looked every bit as good as I expected them to. They didn't exceed my expectations.
You have not seen spell binding visuals, but you believe the visuals shown on PS5 were as you expected. So this means you were "really not impressed with PS5 visuals", "your expectations were low on PS5 visuals", then you expound that PS5 games don't look dramatically better than PS4 games outside of resolution. I better bookmark this post to see what games impresses you down the line.....Seems like you are just a "curb your enthusiasm for PS5 visuals police".

As for reality. PS5 games did impress millions, watch the numbers per video, some people thought the Unreal demo was actually "Unreal". I and many others thought Kena was bonkers. Some people swore on Pragmata, just a few days back a poster told me Demon Souls remake was the best thing he saw in that reveal week. So many different types of persons are impressed by different visuals and presentations. Ratchet could not be done on PS4. Then there are other ways to be impressed, like in physics, ai and animation which we have not seen much of yet, or world design. Even next gen draw distance and the quality of visuals maintained way into the distance, which Ghosts of Tsushima already gives us a first look on a paltry mechanical drive....

What you have seen is already impressive to millions upon millions and the truth is we know even better visuals will be shown come launch day and beyond. The heavy hitters like Santa Monica, Naughty has not shown anything yet, Kojima has not shown anything, the rumored silent hill. We know GT7 will knock socks off when it launches, and tbh, these are expectations even if the hardware was a bit lopsided like PS3, but this gen, devs are singing the praises of hardware design in the PS5 like we have not seen in ages.......Truly you ask yourself, if so many devs are singing PS5's praise, then it must be gravy. We have not even seen the new gen Killzone yet, which lit fire in 2013 and still stands a a stalwart of visuals to this day.... So it's not only about the hardware, it's about the talent, but the fact that the hardware is so balanced and good.....with these devs in tow?...."Oh Boyyyy"

It doesn't throttle based on thermals. Figured we were past this

You have not seen spell binding visuals, but you believe the visuals shown on PS5 were as you expected. So this means you were "really not impressed with PS5 visuals", "your expectations were low on PS5 visuals", then you expound that PS5 games don't look dramatically better than PS4 games outside of resolution. I better bookmark this post to see what games impresses you down the line.....Seems like you are just a "curb your enthusiasm for PS5 visuals police".
No and "spell binding" is highly hyperbolic. My expectations were realistic, not low.

It doesn't throttle based on thermals. Figured we were past this
I'm sorry thought i read this in the OP :
"And what Sony are essentially saying are, here's your tool of options, you can absolutely throttle to the max. We prefer if you didn't, but if there's like a fringe case where you're just off that tiny bit of performance you need, we will let you squeeze a little bit extra."
I don't know if the console itself overheat but I know from Cernys talks that the downclocking is because of the power budget and not the heat.
Power = Heat

"And what Sony are essentially saying are, here's your tool of options, you can absolutely throttle to the max. We prefer if you didn't, but if there's like a fringe case where you're just off that tiny bit of performance you need, we will let you squeeze a little bit extra."

Power = Heat

The power is fixed though in the PS5. It's not like a traditional console which keeps increasing the power to deal with additional load which causes the system to heat up more.

Last edited:

Power = Heat

And you came to the conclusion that it will throttle at a certain temp how?

He means the average PS4 Pro/X1X game runs better than 1440p/30.

I know what he means but using it as a metric to judge that demo while it shows off technology previously impossible in gaming is beyond disingenuous, he might as well talk about how the hair physics are less than those Tomb Raider Nvidia bs.

Stuart360

PS5 has shown us some spell binding visuals, that finally made people say OMG "Next gen is finally here". In case you missed it, the Unreal demo (real-time), Horizon 2, Kena, Ratchet and Clank, Demon Souls, Ghost Wire, Pragmata, just to name a few.....We have already been privy to next gen visuals. They were astonishing and yet they are still early, like the Unreal demo running at only a fraction of the GPU speed at 4.5ms.....

You may not be stoked, that's fine, but what's with the party pooping attitude. If there is something you are more enthused for then share it we can discuss it, but a dev who is agnostic and he is not the first platform agnostic dev that is excited and speaking positives on PS5's design, but it seems you'd rather bury him at the far/dark corners of the earth.....
:messenger_tears_of_joy: Outside of lunatic fanboys, thats not what i'm seeing the general impression of Sony's show, far from it. The more i read your posts, i'm really starting to think you're just pisstaking. You get off on the attention, i'm certain of it.

Last edited:
:messenger_tears_of_joy: Outside of lunatic fanboys, thats not what i'm seeing the geenral impression of Sony's show, far from it. The more i read your posts, i'm really starting to think you're kust pisstaking. Yoy get off on the attention, i'm certain of it.
I seriously rolled my eyes when he called Killzone SF a visual stalwart to this day that lit a fire lol. Crysis 3 destroyed it months before and nobody ever spoke about KZSF the months after its release.

Dude come across as a lunatic more than anything else.

CobraXT

Banned
terrible system imo , trying maximize clocks will result in so many consoles overheating over the lifetime. the cooling system always degrades
so it also will not be reliable and consistent solution

Last edited:
The power is fixed though in the PS5. It's not like a traditional console which keeps increasing the power to deal with additional load which causes the system to heat up more.
And you came to the conclusion that it will throttle at a certain temp how?
power consumption is the limit but the temp can rise depending on your environment.
PS5 wont be capped at 3.5 GHz for the CPU and 2.23 GHz for the GPU, the downclock indicate the chip is being pushed to its absolute max and it will prevent the system from sounding like a jet engine.

Man, this is getting embarrassing, guys...

d72iylb-11fd4288-3132-41d0-873d-806a47d8d158.gif

power consumption is the limit but the temp can rise depending on your environment.
PS5 wont be capped at 3.5 GHz for the CPU and 2.23 GHz for the GPU, the downclock indicate the chip is being pushed to its absolute max and it will prevent the system from sounding like a jet engine.

The environment is irrelevant. It does not throttle based on temp. It will downclock when it doesn't have enough power to maintain the clocks based on the workload it is doing

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Christ. How powerful could the xbox series x be if they implemented their own Boost mode? Whats stopping MS from doing the same thing?

Oh right, they don't need to.
Funny how he was asked about PS5 and answered positively on the strengths and flexibility of the boost clocks. Where is the series X coming into this. Like many other devs who opined a positive take on PS5's design, he never attacked Series X, he never said that console is incapable. he only spoke of the design of the PS5 and laid down the benefits thereto....

Yet, if you are genuinely curious for an answer to your question. MS cannot implement boost clocks now. This is something you would have to design your console with from day 1, like many other features and designs present in PS5...

Top Bottom