• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 3D Audio - Few Questions and a Headset To Get?

FrankWza

Yeah, plugged it into my PC to change one of the settings and still sounded the same on PS5. If your TV has optical it might work then (I think that's what I did before with it).
This works too but then you don’t have the option to use tempest and swap.

REDRZA MWS

Yeah I’m confused about all this too. I have my PS5 hooked up to my LG OLED via HDMI obviously, then the optical out port from the TV to my Astro A 40 mixamp. Does the PS5 3D audio work this way? (I leave it set to on for both headphones and tv).

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I think so yeah, I remember doing it when I first got my PS5, checked my TV for optical and threw the cable in there instead, it's been a while since I tried it though and my memory is shit. Worth a shot.
I'm not going for virtual dolby. It was good last gen but with 3D audio it really feels dated. I'm just happy new games are taking it into consideration, without fully supporting it. Apex Legends sounds great now with it, and that's an adjustment they made with season 12.

FrankWza

Yeah I’m confused about all this too. I have my PS5 hooked up to my LG OLED via HDMI obviously, then the optical out port from the TV to my Astro A 40 mixamp. Does the PS5 3D audio work this way? (I leave it set to on for both headphones and tv).
No. If you follow the original post I made to 8bit it details how

I'm not going for virtual dolby. It was good last gen but with 3D audio it really feels dated. I'm just happy new games are taking it into consideration, without fully supporting it. Apex Legends sounds great now with it, and that's an adjustment they made with season 12.
Do you think the fixed the missing footsteps and octane jump pad sounds haha. Today I had zero sound while jumping from the ship.

Digfox

Hope this is OK to re-raise, but thanks to FrankWza FrankWza and the USB > Optical suggestion, as a new PS5 owner I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on this.

I see the Signstek and Reiyin are often mentioned as USB to Optical adapters but are difficult to get in the UK. The PCM2704 DAC boards I believe they are based on are readily available for around £10-15. However from what I've seen are impacted by the 50% max volume limit on USB ports.

So as I currently have two DAC/AMPs I tried my SoundBlasterX G6 in USB mode first and it doesn’t sound good particularly with my Beyer DT 770’s 250 Ohms (stereo, all SBX off). I have to run it with hi gain on, but even then it lacks ‘oomph’ and sounds flat. So I tried it as the bridge to my Fiio K5 Pro: PS5 > USB > G6 > Optical > K5 Pro. This is definitely better albeit the volume and gain switch has to be increased much, much higher than I normally would. I wonder if lower impedance headphones may be better suited, although I forgot to try my AKG K361s.

From what I’ve read some UAC1 DAC/AMPS; Qudelix-5K, JDS Atom DAC and (possibly) the Schiit Hel 2 apparently don’t suffer from this volume limit or offer the ability to override the host volume. I don’t own any of these unfortunately. However I read that the cheap Creative Play! 4 DAC has an updated firmware with a volume fix applied specifically for PS5 but given it’s really meant for other uses and a cheap DAC-only isn’t ideal.

So it feels like the USB to Optical adapters are set-up dependent or a workaround. I’m fortunate to still have a set of Wireless PS Platinum's around which are much more convenient, but I also wish Sony offered 3D Audio over HDMI as Microsoft do on their consoles.

FrankWza

Hope this is OK to re-raise, but thanks to FrankWza FrankWza and the USB > Optical suggestion, as a new PS5 owner I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on this.

I see the Signstek and Reiyin are often mentioned as USB to Optical adapters but are difficult to get in the UK. The PCM2704 DAC boards I believe they are based on are readily available for around £10-15. However from what I've seen are impacted by the 50% max volume limit on USB ports.

So as I currently have two DAC/AMPs I tried my SoundBlasterX G6 in USB mode first and it doesn’t sound good particularly with my Beyer DT 770’s 250 Ohms (stereo, all SBX off). I have to run it with hi gain on, but even then it lacks ‘oomph’ and sounds flat. So I tried it as the bridge to my Fiio K5 Pro: PS5 > USB > G6 > Optical > K5 Pro. This is definitely better albeit the volume and gain switch has to be increased much, much higher than I normally would. I wonder if lower impedance headphones may be better suited, although I forgot to try my AKG K361s.

From what I’ve read some UAC1 DAC/AMPS; Qudelix-5K, JDS Atom DAC and (possibly) the Schiit Hel 2 apparently don’t suffer from this volume limit or offer the ability to override the host volume. I don’t own any of these unfortunately. However I read that the cheap Creative Play! 4 DAC has an updated firmware with a volume fix applied specifically for PS5 but given it’s really meant for other uses and a cheap DAC-only isn’t ideal.

So it feels like the USB to Optical adapters are set-up dependent or a workaround. I’m fortunate to still have a set of Wireless PS Platinum's around which are much more convenient, but I also wish Sony offered 3D Audio over HDMI as Microsoft do on their consoles.
I’m using usb to optical to mixamp/portable combo. I believe in order to start off correctly something like the reiyin is necessary because it eliminates the lower power that seems to be an issue with the USB ports and dacs suffer from when connected. It might take some work but once you find the right combo it’s so worth it.

20cent

Banned
If budget allows it, Sony WH-L600
HDMI/optical > 2.4GHz so it will work with anything plugged to your TV.
And the base will constantly keep it charged.

mxw_640,f_auto

Schorschi

I have my Sony WH-100XM4 Headphone connectet to my Sony a90j, the TV include 3D Audio, and for me it's a much better experience as the Playstation 5 3D audio

Top Bottom