• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X/S owners. Did you pay retail or the scalpers? How did you get it?

Did you pay retail or pay the scalpers?

• I paid Retail

Votes: 346 83.8%
  • I paid Scalpers

Votes: 22 5.3%
  • I am still hunting

Votes: 25 6.1%
  • Not currently interested

Votes: 20 4.8%

• Total voters

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I paid retail. I saw a post on resetera of all places that Sam’s Club was taking preorders for PS5s and made the order easy before Wario posted it.

Been trying to get one for my dad for months and no luck. Heavily leaning toward just paying a scalper for one for Father’s Day because he always hooked me up growing up and I’d like to do him a solid.
Keep trying ps direct. They seem to be getting them in steady.

slade

Thankfully got a PS5 pre-order at Amazon for launch day. I was contemplating waiting since the same rhetoric was around at PS4 launch and you could still find them easily. But with the Covid restrictions ramping up at the time, I decided to play it safe. Best decision I made last year.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
How? You aren't the first person to say they did this but i don't see a sign up for shit on that direct.playstation.com . No sign up, just "out of stock", i got no emails from sony, and its bullcrap as I have been a psn subscriber since day fing 1. My screename doesn't even have numbers as i was that early into the psn. Have a playstation credit card and ps plus, they never sent me shit.

Kinda peeved, I had no issues pre-ordering a ps4 , gamestop took my money months in advance and I walked in and out on day 1 in 30 minutes. This time no such offers. This time I was there for the stupid online pre-order the morning of and it was sold out right away, apparently they started the night before , assholes. How do you sell out of pre-orders, take them all and put people in mfing queues. ..wtf... Tried launch day, and 12 other days since, multiple times in a day always to have asshole scalper bots steal shit from my cart. If you have something in your cart it should be locked to you for at least 10 minutes for checkout or don't put it in the cart at all.

Yeah i am pissed. My ps4 is overheating and i can't play any of those games. My ps3 has broken wifi/bluetooth, and that's on it's last leg. Ironically my ps2 is working fine.
Tired of and jealous of all you people who have the console. I have more than enough loot but I am not going to pay some scalper money, f them. F them to hell!!!!

Been doubling down playing PC and switch. May just buy a backup switch if they don't announce the pro soon (just in case it breaks, i have too many games invested to have what happened to my ps4 )
I just randomly went to Gamespot.com after work. I normally browse there for game news. They had a ps5 tracker. I clicked the link and they showed it was in stock there.

K' Dash

Got my Series X the day it went up for preorder on Amazon, then received it on launch day, it was pretty painless.

Scalp.
500 us for digital.
little more than one month after release. Played the hell of it as I had to do 2 weeks quarantine.

Last edited:

Kilau

Where is the option that I’m the scalper?
Make It Rain Money GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Blond

Banned
I’ve legit managed to get 10 so far.

Only sold 2 for profit and that’s because they offered, one guy bought my used one that’s a couple months old for 700 a week ago and I ordered a 10th disc to replace mine on Amazon during yesterday’s drop.

I don’t know how I went from not being able to snag one to getting this lucky

Pre-ordered 5 PS5s because I happened to be online when they went live. Kept one Digital for myself, sold the rest at cost to friends. Bought 2 more PS5s right before Christmas at Target and sold both to friends who missed out and had kids who wanted to play. I'm now their favorite "uncle."

Bought an Xbox Series X online at Best Buy after Christmas, also at retail.

Everything was just from following Wario64 on Twitter and turning mobile notifications on.

Rodolink

I wrote an email to all stores around me, only one replied saying a client cancelled his order, and I had to go get it immediately if I wanted to. I couldn't because I was at work but next day it was still there and so I got my Ps5 😅😎

I got lucky and paid retail for both the PS5 and XSX (PS5 first, XSX much later). I wasn't even trying that hard, because I still don't think there is much out yet to truly justify either of them just yet, but I always get all the consoles at (or near in this case) launch.

Just a lot random occasional refresh sessions (probably about once a week) until I got lucky.

Ended up getting both the PS5 and XSX through Walmart.com.

I don't really care about scalpers one way or another, but I would never pay scalpers for consoles personally (truly limited items - again not consoles - I might).

Last edited:

Hoppa

Paid retail for both. Coincidentally started work at midday during the PS5 announcement so I was able to get a preorder in for launch. For Series X I joined a Facebook group who notify when stock is available and managed to get in about a month ago. I was so close to getting a Series S too

420bits

Didn't preorder, got 3 (Disc-edition)

Wasn't worried about snagging a ps5 until they went "oh btw, no units on the shelves!". I was sure it was BS, but after talking to some friends who confirmed they havnt seen any signs of their store getting units i decided to just stay up on the night of "online preorders" and try to get one.

Around 1 in the morning or whatever amazon.se opened up their stock and that one just straight up confirmed i got one and then i stopped preordering.

First gen I wasn't sure i was gonna get a PlayStation on day 1 so it was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Retail. Both from GameStop. Xbox Series X bundle for $800 in early January and PlayStation 5 bundle for $735 in mid-February.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Retail of course. Instead of paying huge amounts of money to scalpers I’d rather keeping investing on my retro console setup. Just got a new high quality Scart switcher last week.

Karmic Raze

I paid retail for my first PS5.

Paid a scalper for an XSX.

Then paid a scalper for Digital Edition PS5.

Now I have no console.

Go figure. I just don’t do much gaming, but there are a few games that I would really like to dive into, particularly Lost Judgment (Judgment was the last game I actually completed) and Demon Slayer: Hinokami Kepputan. WWE 2K22 and the AEW game interests me too, but yeah. I’m not hardcore by any means.

[Sigma]

Through the Amazon drop a month ago. Amazon hadn't PS5 dropped in about 2 months at that point and wasn't accustomed to dropping on the weekend. Yet on a Saturday 2:45am in the morning my hotstock app went off and I was mashing buy like a mad man lol. Scalpers was always out of the question for me no matter how much I wanted one. I could have been had a PS5 but I blew it not paying enough attention to me emails around the launch of the PS5. Sony had sent me a special invite for PS Direct and I didn't see it till it was too late a day afterwards. Totally my fault(and I never got an another invite afterwards).

Last edited:

Manji Uzuki

Got my PS5 in a retail through a friend who was on multiple waiting lists and got the chance to get two on the same week so he offered me to get one of his preorders :)

rolandss

I paid retail. I work for an online retailer, got told when a drop was happening, was ready when they dropped and bought it at normal retail price.

I bought 3 PS5s at retail. One from Amazon, Gamestop and Best Buy each. I didn't really do it with the intention of scalping, but as fail safes. I got the one from Amazon day one. The other two showed up later. I kept one, scalped one and sold one at cost to a co-worker. Bought one Series X the day it went up for pre-order at retail at Amazon, but I still waited weeks for it to come. The scenario I was guarding against buy ordering 3 PS5s happened to me with the Series X, basically.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Paid retail.

There’s this Spanish forum that had a thread for this, people announcing availability. I just kept checking it like a maniac and there I saw it.

SkylineRKR

retail for both PS5 and S. Was too late for the first wave for PS5, but immediately ordered second batch. Got a message the day after launch the system was underway though. Didn't expect that one.

S, well, its still readily available over here. Never went out of stock.

I snagged 3 XSX's on the Microsoft Store, two for my buddies(they paid for it not me, I just secured the bag) and one for myself. I also grabbed a PS5 in a Gamestop bundle online with Demon Souls and Spiderman/Miles Morales. If you've been using anything else but the active Discords then you're doing yourself a huge disservice. Stop using Wario64 and crying "scalpers stole my consoles!" everytime you get fucking goofed on the console drops. Everything I got was paid for by the time he tweeted they were even available.

If you paid a scalper you might as well just pay me to fuck your girl. You got cucked.

Duchess

Mentioned a few times: I got lucky with an Amazon UK drop. Talk on Twitter was that it was scheduled for a Friday, but they sold some on a Tuesday morning, around 8:30 am. A family member called me up to tell me. I already had the PS5 on my Amazon wishlist, so I just opened the app, clicked add to basket (it errored the first time..!), secured my order, and got the console a few days later.

(this scalping thing has led to me boycotting CEX now, as they began selling PS5s shortly after launch for shitloads - it was clear the machines had been bought from scalpers or thieves)

MrSec84

I ordered my Disc PS5 from Very here in the UK, waited for the Pre-Orders to go live back in like September or whenever that was and ordered it no problem.

Picked it up from my local Post Office on launch day, no issues.

Got my Series X at Retail last year in November. Used Popfindr to constantly watch Target stock, since some of them were willing to sell in store. Saw a store near our state's largest universities, about 150 miles away from me, that got 32 in stock. Drove down there as fast as I could and was able to snag one. There were six left when I arrived. I haven't had any luck on a PS5, but I also haven't tried super hard. I'm OK waiting for there to be 4-5 must have exclusives, although Horizon 2 kind of looks like the one that is going to put me over the edge.

Stooky

got my ps5 preorder on amazon. as soon as the PS5 launch video finished and they showed the price I was standing by on amazon for the preorder. Order went through with no issues.

xrnzaaas

I got it from a normal chain of electronics stores, but as a bundle. Thankfully it only included 1 game and a second controller which I'm gladly using when the other one is charging.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Local store is getting PS5 stock end of July.
I'm going to put my name down for digital edition along with a deposit to reserve my console.
I'm done fucking around. I need a PlayStation.

ALSO paid retail for my Xbox Series S cause there's like a billion available at the moment. Don't regret it one bit either. Cracking little console.
What stores are taking reservations mate?

St0pThatGuy

Neo Member
I got mine from the Microsoft store. I somehow found out cancellations were coming in sometimes a dozen times a day. So I hit refresh for about 3 days until I managed to get one in my cart. Then had to do it again for another day to complete the order. It arrived at my house right before Christmas Eve.

Edit to add I found out about them using an online stock tracker and it was showing the Microsoft store kept getting stock. From there I got it into my cart, but when I couldn't complete the purchase I called Xbox where I found out those restocks were just cancellations. Basically one unit at a time coming in.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I preordered my PS5 on the reveal day and just get it the release day. But if not i wouldn't pay scalper price even if i could, it's like feeding parasites.

Top Bottom