• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Backwards Compatibility Tested - And It's Fantastic!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Surprise! lol sorry, its just funny to me with all the speculation that it was hardware related and ended up.. BC its great ( if the game has a performance mode that is) thats anticlimatic for sure.

ethomaz

Banned
I still don't get the appeal with old games payed via BC.

But nice to these that care.

Surprise! lol sorry, its just funny to me with all the speculation that it was hardware related and ended up.. BC its great ( if the game has a performance mode that is) thats anticlimatic for sure.
Wrong thread?

BTW that was not the "surprise" video.

Last edited:

Elias

"The legendary disc version of Assassin's Creed Unity, with its unlocked frame-rate, produces a flawless 60 frames per second experience on Xbox Series X. The PlayStation 4 disc code is similarly unlocked, but certain areas of the game and depth-of-field-heavy cutscenes see performance plummet - sometimes as low as the mid 30s. "

Also, no 16x anisotropic filtering confirmed

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I still don't get the appeal with old games payed via BC.

But nice to these that care.

Wrong thread?

BTW that was not the "surprise" video.

You didnt watch the video huh? the very first minute says its the surprise they were talking about.

So they're just letting the games do the talking.

Sure about that, pal? I mean we all know that John loves to shit on Xbox. I mean he even said that Xbox doesn’t have a ray tracing title at launc, although we do have Watch Dogs Legions with Ray Tracing

EmJIASsU0AAK9z6

Also, would love to know which games now do work or not.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
So beat xbox at the thing they thought they had, the only thing so far, bc games?

Holy shit if so.....
Is it?
"The legendary disc version of Assassin's Creed Unity, with its unlocked frame-rate, produces a flawless 60 frames per second experience on Xbox Series X. The PlayStation 4 disc code is similarly unlocked, but certain areas of the game and depth-of-field-heavy cutscenes see performance plummet - sometimes as low as the mid 30s."

Is there any info how for example Assasisns Creed Syndicate is working? Or any other "bootable" game?

Mmnow

This is the best news I could hope for for PS5. No auto-hdr is a real disappointment and it's interesting to see the quirks of both systems, but overall this is positive news.

So beat xbox at the thing they thought they had, the only thing so far, bc games?

Holy shit if so.....
From the article, it mentions that checkerboard titles remain checkerboard. So the example is Sekiro hitting 60 as opposed to 50+, but the Series X version is native 4k.

I wouldn't say that has anything beat, but it's still excellent for everybody.

How can it be better than Series X BC when it only goes back one generation?

It's better if it's a PS4/Xbox One game that had 1080p/900p respective ceilings, but no mid-gen refresh patch.

A few other games will be better if the series X still can't lock 60 on the One X version, but PS5 can on the PS4Pro. They used the example of Sekiro which is Native and 50-60fps on Series X and Dynamic and 60fps on PS5, with resolution dropping to keep the 60fps.

All others will run better on Series X because either the One X version has better resolution targets (aka more 4k modes), more unlocked frame rate modes or both. Plus 16x AF and auto-HDR included.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The article doesn't say it and Dark said it isn't on twitter.
Unless he was lying.

Edit - The "surprise" video is still coming.

at the end of the video he says " thats the big surpise, thats the great news " but anything else good is welcomed.

Last edited:

SilentUser

This is fantastic, honestly. This doesn't change anything about the awesome XSX BC, so it is basically a winner situation for everyone, specially the costumers.

Congratulations, Sony. You did it great!

Ar¢tos

Would that require From to update it? If so, I think we can abandon all hope on that front.
Hmm yes, kinda.
Since the IP belongs to Sony, I'm sure From gave Sony all the assets of the game and the source code, so theoretically Sony could get Bluepoint to add a 60fps setting and even fix the framepacing.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Great stuff, all the better for when I eventually get one when it is redesigned to not look offensive!

As expected, they suffer in different ways directly from the version they are playing.

XSX generally has higher resolution than PS5 when playing X1X/PS4 Pro games (with the draw back that one game in particular is not hitting 60 regularly as a result), whereas the XSX generally has a lower resolution when playing base console games (and will look not as sharp as a result).

Good BC showing from PS5 here (apart from missing PS3 gen completely).

Last edited:

acm2000

both MS and Sony just need to allow us to choose what the max res is, series x is running back compat at higher res than ps5 with the sacrifice of a few dropped frames, but since ps5 is maxed at a lower res it gets the framerate advantage.

just let the end user choose the max resolution options, 4k, 2k, 1080p.

Last edited:

vkbest

"The legendary disc version of Assassin's Creed Unity, with its unlocked frame-rate, produces a flawless 60 frames per second experience on Xbox Series X. The PlayStation 4 disc code is similarly unlocked, but certain areas of the game and depth-of-field-heavy cutscenes see performance plummet - sometimes as low as the mid 30s. "

Also, no 16x anisotropic filtering confirmed

People forget that version was shitty on PS4 was running under 20fps, they had to patch the game

Last edited:
Top Bottom