• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 cooling system is 'lavish', makes the PS5 more expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
To conclude
  • PS5 is the next PS3 with power of cell and Cerny is the next Kutaragi. Specs dont matter, unless they are told it matters by Cerny
  • It will cost 400 USD, but games will somehow look better on PS5 than XSX. Ahh, the magic of Secret Sauce.
  • PS5 will be cheaper and more powerful than XSX because GAF wishes so, just like they wished for PS5 to be 13 TF.
  • Tempest Engine is better because of Cerny's half an hour ASMR not because they didnt want to spend money licensing Dolby Atmos. It will better even though Xbox did Spatial Audio last gen in Xbox One X and even had Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, now they have a dedicated audio chip for Spatial Audio in Series X along with Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Windows Sonic. Not to mention Microsoft has been working on Project Acoustics and Audio Ray Tracing since 2012(a topic Cerny lightly brushed aside in his Wired interview and ASMR reveal video).
Never fail me GAF. You are amazing when drunk.
I feel like you appear in every next gen related thread taking a massive shit on the PS5. Apparently nothing Sony can do with their custom hardware can be as good as or better than Microsoft's.

It's not a zero sum game.

PocoJoe

Banned
In Sony we trust!

When I had to hunt PS4 on launch, because it were sold out everywhere in advance (and I found one from french amazon) and finally got it.

That unit were probably the godmother of all noisy PS4s, noisiest one I have ever heard. It literally made me almost cry because I have had waited for it so long and then this unbelievable noise started, like 200% fan speed.

Luckily they replaced it with another unit, not so noisy but still loud. I could hear that one from 7m away trough a toilet door as clearly as vacuum cleaner. And the first unit were much louder than that :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Then I got my frist PRO, traded in the "less noisy-noisy" OG model, and what happened..

This pro made some god damn transformer movie noises + really loud fan, god damn it!

Gamestop took it back, I got new unit and it have been good enough, usually barely audible, sometimes easily audible.

My point is, after this godmother of all loud units, PS5 just cant be any worse. And I truly hope that they have made a cooling solution that is working for 99% of the units, so "my unit is silent, what are you talking about"-banter doesnt start again.

I would gladly pay 50e more if it means that there is no "quiet console lottery" and I can just buy it, play it and not cry about it

(and even after all the noisy PlayStations (my ps2 were noisy too) I still would not consider xbox as my gaming system, there is just magic in Sony products that is hard to beat)

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

giphy.gif

I forgot that Next-Gen threads were exclusive to only those who listened to Cerny's ASMR sermons.
I mean I've read your thread about Microsoft's excellent audio technology. The question is, why do you keep bringing it up in other threads?
We don't know every last detail of the Tempest engine. So we can't know whether Microsoft's tech or Sony's tech is better.
But you keep bringing the Project acoustics every time tempest audio is mentioned. Why?

"Most of the components for the console have been locked down, the people said"

That effectively shuts down the Microsoft FUD that the PS5 was a 9.2 GPU where Sony scrambled at the last minute to up the clocks "to compete."

These things are locked in well in advance

You cant just up the clocks that much at the last second. It doesn't work like that. It would throw design and cooling solution off

It all has to be designed for well in advance to work in tandum

This article is several months old, which shows you the high clock speeds, with the advanced cooling solution, were already locked down and being done well in advance

PS5 GPU was always 10.3tflops with high clock speeds

But tflops arent all that important.

If you listened to what Cerny said, theres a reason why they went with such a high clock speed. It becomes obvious there was always a clear gameplan there. Theres a purpose to high clock speeds.

And its only variable to prevent loud noises or heating (which many have complained about with PS4 and PS4 pro. Notice how Cerny directly addressed that)

Mark Cerny is a modern day fucking genius of unheard of proportion

The full scope of what Cerny has actually accomplished wont be appreciated until you see it in action

But theres a reason why developers are calling the PS5 the greatest and most exciting hardware in 20 years

Theres a reason why developers are calling the PS5 the most innovative, forward-thinking, most revolutionary built gaming console ever created that they have ever seen

The tempest engine

The gemortry engine

The SSD

All cutting edge stuff leagues above any competitors

Plus there are many features that still haven't been disclosed yet which offer more advantages over the xbox1x

The PS5 is an insanely revolutionary console. Its much more forward thinking, much better designed, and much more balanced then the xbox1x

This is why people were telling you NOT to put so much stock into such a meaningless metric as tflops. Tflops is just a meaningless number that's used as fanboy marketing for microsoft. Dont fall for that narrative or FUD. Listen to what developers are actually saying

You can take this to the bank, the PS5 will be outperforming the xbox1x silly in real world benchmarks and performance.

The PS5 is truly a modern day marvel of engineering, design, and performance. Cerny is something else

I think Sony can leverage some of their power to get some better manufacturing deals.

A 400$ PS5 would be the absolute fucking deal of the century. I think that's what it will be. Just listen to Sony's messaging. They are very proce conscious. PS5 will repeat PS4 domination

If things don't work out as planned I can see PS5 at 425$ or 450$. Price is very important to Sony. They WILL 100% come in cheaper then xbox1x no matter what (while being the actual more powerful console in actual real world performance)

What flavor kool-aid is this?

mejin

You son, win the award for most ignorant person I've ever come across. And that's saying A LOT.

I think you might mean "shmup", but it's not for me to know. With your attitude, you deserve a ban. The world doesn't need people like you.

He meant "chumps". He rather listen to a guy who creates chumps.

• LOL
Reactions: CJY

Goliathy

Banned
In Sony we trust!

When I had to hunt PS4 on launch, because it were sold out everywhere in advance (and I found one from french amazon) and finally got it.

That unit were probably the godmother of all noisy PS4s, noisiest one I have ever heard. It literally made me almost cry because I have had waited for it so long and then this unbelievable noise started, like 200% fan speed.

Luckily they replaced it with another unit, not so noisy but still loud. I could hear that one from 7m away trough a toilet door as clearly as vacuum cleaner. And the first unit were much louder than that :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Then I got my frist PRO, traded in the "less noisy-noisy" OG model, and what happened..

This pro made some god damn transformer movie noises + really loud fan, god damn it!

Gamestop took it back, I got new unit and it have been good enough, usually barely audible, sometimes easily audible.

My point is, after this godmother of all loud units, PS5 just cant be any worse. And I truly hope that they have made a cooling solution that is working for 99% of the units, so "my unit is silent, what are you talking about"-banter doesnt start again.

I would gladly pay 50e more if it means that there is no "quiet console lottery" and I can just buy it, play it and not cry about it

(and even after all the noisy PlayStations (my ps2 were noisy too) I still would not consider xbox as my gaming system, there is just magic in Sony products that is hard to beat)

dude, I've been playin with my pro EVEN WITH HEADPHONES, which do have Noice cancelling (Sony WH-1000XM3) which supposed to be even one of the best NC headphones out there, and I STILL CAN HEAR the noisy fan lol I really really HOPE its getting quieter now.

Area61

Good approach if true but in the end as always first party games will matter most. Then the fps and graphical powers. Sales of console also will be dependent with right exclusives at right time. Just look at uncharted 4 from ps4 era. That release was a game changer for ps4.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I mean I've read your thread about Microsoft's excellent audio technology. The question is, why do you keep bringing it up in other threads?
We don't know every last detail of the Tempest engine. So we can't know whether Microsoft's tech or Sony's tech is better.
But you keep bringing the Project acoustics every time tempest audio is mentioned. Why?
I only mention it when
1. People compare Sony's 3D Audio to Project Acoustics(happened too many times). 3D Audio should be compared with Xbox's Spatial Audio. Project Acoustics is a different thing.
2. Someone claims Sony's audio offerings are superior assuming Xbox has done nothing in that field. Another thing that has been happening a lot recently.

Goliathy

Banned
Good approach if true but in the end as always first party games will matter most.

true, but also at console launch? Do you really think many people will just buy the console even if there are not manny great 1st party exclusives?
In the beginning multiplatform games AND price matter most and if one platform can play multiplatform games better then this is an advantages.

Woodchipper

Reading some of the posts in this thread makes me ashamed of being a PlayStation fan. The Series X will be more powerful, period. Just deal with it.

I don’t even care which is more powerful. I’ll still go for PlayStation (and Nintendo) because I’m confident they’ll deliver in the most... no, the ONLY important area - games.

Goliathy

Banned
I only mention it when
1. People compare Sony's 3D Audio to Project Acoustics(happened too many times). 3D Audio should be compared with Xbox's Spatial Audio. Project Acoustics is a different thing.
2. Someone claims Sony's audio offerings are superior assuming Xbox has done nothing in that field. Another thing that has been happening a lot recently.

So, these audio things will not matter that much, I have the Sony WH-1000XM3 and in order for it to work YOU HAVE to send them pictures of your EARS otherwise it will not work AND the songs you want to hear have to be designed for this 360 audio things, otherwise it will NOT work:

CJjwKCC.png

uJipt3W.png

do you really think that devs will take a lot of time to design the audio just for PS5? And what about the pictures of your ear? lol

"Most of the components for the console have been locked down, the people said"

That effectively shuts down the Microsoft FUD that the PS5 was a 9.2 GPU where Sony scrambled at the last minute to up the clocks "to compete."

These things are locked in well in advance

You cant just up the clocks that much at the last second. It doesn't work like that. It would throw design and cooling solution off

It all has to be designed for well in advance to work in tandum

This article is several months old, which shows you the high clock speeds, with the advanced cooling solution, were already locked down and being done well in advance

PS5 GPU was always 10.3tflops with high clock speeds

But tflops arent all that important.

If you listened to what Cerny said, theres a reason why they went with such a high clock speed. It becomes obvious there was always a clear gameplan there. Theres a purpose to high clock speeds.

And its only variable to prevent loud noises or heating (which many have complained about with PS4 and PS4 pro. Notice how Cerny directly addressed that)

Mark Cerny is a modern day fucking genius of unheard of proportion

The full scope of what Cerny has actually accomplished wont be appreciated until you see it in action

But theres a reason why developers are calling the PS5 the greatest and most exciting hardware in 20 years

Theres a reason why developers are calling the PS5 the most innovative, forward-thinking, most revolutionary built gaming console ever created that they have ever seen

The tempest engine

The gemortry engine

The SSD

All cutting edge stuff leagues above any competitors

Plus there are many features that still haven't been disclosed yet which offer more advantages over the xbox1x

The PS5 is an insanely revolutionary console. Its much more forward thinking, much better designed, and much more balanced then the xbox1x

This is why people were telling you NOT to put so much stock into such a meaningless metric as tflops. Tflops is just a meaningless number that's used as fanboy marketing for microsoft. Dont fall for that narrative or FUD. Listen to what developers are actually saying

You can take this to the bank, the PS5 will be outperforming the xbox1x silly in real world benchmarks and performance.

The PS5 is truly a modern day marvel of engineering, design, and performance. Cerny is something else

I think Sony can leverage some of their power to get some better manufacturing deals.

A 400$ PS5 would be the absolute fucking deal of the century. I think that's what it will be. Just listen to Sony's messaging. They are very proce conscious. PS5 will repeat PS4 domination

If things don't work out as planned I can see PS5 at 425$ or 450$. Price is very important to Sony. They WILL 100% come in cheaper then xbox1x no matter what (while being the actual more powerful console in actual real world performance)

I've never seen a post worthy of every neogaf reaction until now.

How is this news ? I would hope , for Sony’s sake, that they would have a very good cooling solution to power this thing. If the cooling solution isn’t, not just good but absolutely perfect , then the ps5 will not only be a hugely underpowered console but it will have big problems actually working properly.

Such a big gamble, underpowered, riddled with bottlenecks, and introducing variable clock speeds (that we have got no real range of the variability of its clock speeds just the peak numbers). Will be interesting to watch how it all unfolds, to say the least.

Area61

true, but also at console launch? Do you really think many people will just buy the console even if there are not manny great 1st party exclusives?
In the beginning multiplatform games AND price matter most and if one platform can play multiplatform games better then this is an advantages.
We can't be that sure can we? Ps3 was superior to 360 but wasn't helpful. Plus i think the real time game performance will differ only 5-7% cause of similar architecture.

Last edited:

protonion

Why worry about cooling?

Tons of developers have kits and they should have been working non stop for months.

Overheating issues should have leaked by now.

And I fully expect and hope that the v design is what the retail unit will be based on. It is awesome.

Tripolygon

Banned
I would rather listen to a guy who creates Shmups than a composer of some random PlayStation game. Or do you want to listen to a guy who has worked on Valve and Space X

1 - This BCx he is talking about is a GPU texture compression format. BC stands for Block compression and the x is a number signifying type of format, its goes 1 to 7. All GPUs use this format.

2 - Why would he assume Sony would't ship really well optimized RDO encoders?

Goliathy

Banned
sounds like a hot mess. but also explains the desperate pr effort to make so much of the ssd and 3d audio.

if the ps5 costs the same as the xsx its going to really turn the tables. if lockhart is then $200 less? wow.

yeah, this is what I dont get about the "technical deep dive". he spends SO MUCH TIME on how SSD is better than HDD. so what? We all know this lol. Xbox also has an SSD. this is nothing special lol
If xbox would only have an HDD then I would understand it, but also does have a pretty fast SSD. Its not a unique feature or anything
There were like 600.000 people watching the live stream and they spend so much on saying how much ssd is better than HDD... basically it was also free PR for MS, since they are also using SSD instead of HDD lol

Goliathy

Banned
To X fans, the only "real dev's" tech expertise only applies if they are not first/2nd party devs despite putting out GOTY winning triple A games
The only "real devs" whose opinion are not bias and carries more weight to X fans are those that don't work for Sony hmmm..

X12k8U1.png

I really dont know why any dev feelds the need to speak out for a console?! The specs speak for themselves, sony and MS speak for them... why do the Devs need to do this? especially from sonys side.. so many damage control tweets.. I don't get this.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
To X fans, the only "real dev's" tech expertise only applies if they are not first/2nd party devs despite putting out GOTY winning triple A games
The only "real devs" whose opinion are not bias and carries more weight to X fans are those that don't work for Sony hmmm..
All I see are Sony first party devs and a bunch of audio composers of random PlayStation games praising Cerny's holy sermon.

Last edited:

Ellery

Great to hear and absolutely needed for going over 2GHZ (even though I expect AMD have made some serious progression for 7nm+ RDNA2 in that regard).

I hope the console is not as loud as my PS4 lol

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If this is actually true, then Sony have messed up. The proof will be in the pudding at the end of the day, so no point theorising on things like this we simply know nothing about. In terms of pure resolution and framerate I would say that it is guaranteed that the Series X will be far ahead of PS5.
14% will not lead you to be far far ahead and I seriously doubt the CPU is holding the SSD back with all the custom silicon they dedicated to taking responsibility away from it. Many Zen 2 cores worth of performance.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
interesting AND VERY GOOD! My pro is so LOUD, Hope my ps5 is going to be quiet!
But... what about the Price then? How can they cheaper than series x? MS doesn’t need to pay a lot for cooling.
Do people actually care about noise after the game loads and Kratos starts to disembowel everyone? Really? The horrid screams are so loud and I'm in such a trance that some noise far away doesn't matter anymore.

wintersouls

If PS5 comes out at 500 euros, I doubt that Xbox will come out below 600. You can build a console with all the power you want, like a PC, but of course, at what price?

CJY

Banned
sounds like a hot mess. but also explains the desperate pr effort to make so much of the ssd and 3d audio.

if the ps5 costs the same as the xsx its going to really turn the tables. if lockhart is then $200 less? wow.

That doesn't make any sense when the Wired article from early 2019 already focused on mainly the SSD and 3D audio. Raw power is and always has been the only thing Xbox has going for them. Anybody interested in just pure power should just go and build a PC, you'd be much happier.

If anything, it was MS who scrambled with bastardized attempts at riding on Sony's coattails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom