• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 cooling system is 'lavish', makes the PS5 more expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Well, he doesn't even know that having the components locked doesn't prevent you from doing a desperate upclock at the last minute like Sony has done after seeing how much more powerful the XsX GPU is.

I'm sure the XsX still has room to put more power in their GPU too, but seeing the PS5 specs they just don't need it.
XSX is in constant boost mode, 12.1 is the boost number. Without it, it only has around 10.19 TFLOPPY. Orangutans will fall down trees whenever you power on your power hungry, potentially derainforestating XSX.

Vroadstar

Dynamic Voltage Games 5 minutes after slipped on Phil Spencer's bodily fluids.

To X fans like Lady Bernkastel they're the ONLY "real devs" whose opinion matters because they don't work on Sony games ... :messenger_astonished:

85nwkVM.png

Last edited:

BlackTron

Umm I usually come to this place for more intelligent, balanced discussion. But the mental gymnastics of people who have no idea what they are talking about, droning on and on about their speculation like it's proven fact, is making me nostalgic for AOL grade discourse.

It's revealing a lot of mentally unhealthy people. Don't be so emotionally invested in a game console.

Unless it's Dreamcast 2.

xool

Take a poll :
  1. Lavish
  2. Thicc
  3. Performant (wtf this mean?)

Also stop with this fake twitter devs .. some don'y even have a webpage, or registered company, joined Mar 2020, the other 2 are making 2D games for the Sega Saturn .. but have expert opinions .. yep.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
its gonna have to be very elaborate to cool such a highly clocked chip. As to why Cerny just mentioned it in passing... it was a GDC talk aimed at devs, and all devs need to know is that the cooling system works!

I really don't know how many times it needs to be stated, but that talk was principally aimed at developers not end-users, and certainly not console warriors. They'll no doubt get onto that later in the year. At least assuming the current COVID situation and its economic impact doesn't push back launch til 2021, which has to be thought of as being a real possibility.

To "lavish" something, is to spend/do more on something.

For example. To lavish someone with praise. Or lavish someone with more attention

It's just a a more sophisticated way if saying that Sony have paid more attention and money to the cooling solution.

It's not that difficult to understand. Stop making things complicated for the sake of it.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
"Most of the components for the console have been locked down, the people said"

That effectively shuts down the Microsoft FUD that the PS5 was a 9.2 GPU where Sony scrambled at the last minute to up the clocks "to compete."

These things are locked in well in advance

You cant just up the clocks that much at the last second. It doesn't work like that. It would throw design and cooling solution off

It all has to be designed for well in advance to work in tandum

This article is several months old, which shows you the high clock speeds, with the advanced cooling solution, were already locked down and being done well in advance

PS5 GPU was always 10.3tflops with high clock speeds

But tflops arent all that important.

If you listened to what Cerny said, theres a reason why they went with such a high clock speed. It becomes obvious there was always a clear gameplan there. Theres a purpose to high clock speeds.

And its only variable to prevent loud noises or heating (which many have complained about with PS4 and PS4 pro. Notice how Cerny directly addressed that)

Mark Cerny is a modern day fucking genius of unheard of proportion

The full scope of what Cerny has actually accomplished wont be appreciated until you see it in action

But theres a reason why developers are calling the PS5 the greatest and most exciting hardware in 20 years

Theres a reason why developers are calling the PS5 the most innovative, forward-thinking, most revolutionary built gaming console ever created that they have ever seen

The tempest engine

The gemortry engine

The SSD

All cutting edge stuff leagues above any competitors

Plus there are many features that still haven't been disclosed yet which offer more advantages over the xbox1x

The PS5 is an insanely revolutionary console. Its much more forward thinking, much better designed, and much more balanced then the xbox1x

This is why people were telling you NOT to put so much stock into such a meaningless metric as tflops. Tflops is just a meaningless number that's used as fanboy marketing for microsoft. Dont fall for that narrative or FUD. Listen to what developers are actually saying

You can take this to the bank, the PS5 will be outperforming the xbox1x silly in real world benchmarks and performance.

The PS5 is truly a modern day marvel of engineering, design, and performance. Cerny is something else

I think Sony can leverage some of their power to get some better manufacturing deals.

A 400$ PS5 would be the absolute fucking deal of the century. I think that's what it will be. Just listen to Sony's messaging. They are very proce conscious. PS5 will repeat PS4 domination

If things don't work out as planned I can see PS5 at 425$ or 450$. Price is very important to Sony. They WILL 100% come in cheaper then xbox1x no matter what (while being the actual more powerful console in actual real world performance)

I would look back at history over this, start of this gen when Microsoft last min overclocked th xbox one to catch up with Sony on the PS4

Lavish on a console implies water-cooling IMO.
It doesn't imply anything of the sort. It just means they spent more on it than typical.

MS Phil shows you dont need 'lavish' cooling. Just smart brains design.

Cheaper and more effective. A simple cut of aluminium with vapor chamber base and a 130mm full height fan.

2 parts, boom.

2003484154.jpeg
Lavish doesn't mean complicated either. It just means they spent more on it. Christ.
And while the series X has a very nice cooling design, it doesn't mean it's cheap. They have a vapour chamber cooler on the SoC and they have a solid aluminium block acting as a passive heatsink between the split PCB. That's a lot of metal jammed in a tight package, and it's not exactly gonna be cheap.

Reactions: CJY

longdi

Banned
It doesn't imply anything of the sort. It just means they spent more on it than typical.

Lavish doesn't mean complicated either. It just means they spent more on it. Christ.
And while the series X has a very nice cooling design, it doesn't mean it's cheap. They have a vapour chamber cooler on the SoC and they have a solid aluminium block acting as a passive heatsink between the split PCB. That's a lot of metal jammed in a tight package, and it's not exactly gonna be cheap.

I bet Series X cooling is cheaper than whatever Sony cramps into PS5. Vapor chamber base is dime a dozen for the GPU out there.

Unless ...Sony has to take the same thicc route. MS is all but inevitable to win even in cooling department, cheaper, same or more effective in dissipation of heat with low noise.

Smart design brah'

Marlenus

To "lavish" something, is to spend/do more on something.

For example. To lavish someone with praise. Or lavish someone with more attention

It's just a a more sophisticated way if saying that Sony have paid more attention and money to the cooling solution.

It's not that difficult to understand. Stop making things complicated for the sake of it.

I wish they paid more attention and money to the GPU.

Cooling is easy, take an Nvidia GPU cooler, build a fan profile, done. (So, vapour chamber with a large fan which is exactly what the xsx has).

I wish they paid more attention and money to the GPU.

Cooling is easy, take an Nvidia GPU cooler, build a fan profile, done. (So, vapour chamber with a large fan which is exactly what the xsx has).
A large chunk of the cost of a cooler is the metal. You can't cheat your way around that. If you want good cooling, you need a lot of metal for the heatsink/fin-stack. Its that simple.

I bet Series X cooling is cheaper than whatever Sony cramps into PS5. Vapor chamber base is dime a dozen for the GPU out there.

Unless ...Sony has to take the same thicc route. MS is all but inevitable to win even in cooling department, cheaper, same or more effective in dissipation of heat with low noise.

Smart design brah'

How do you know this? And who the fuck cares who "wins" the cooling? As long as the console performs consistently across all units and is cool and quiet enough that the user doesn't notice or care, then a few degrees here and there is gonna make fuck all difference to anyone aside from perennial dick-wavers.

I swear its reaching a point where fanboys are not just satisfied with a win or good performance, it has to come at the expense of the "enemy's" performance.
Fucking hell.

Last edited:

HarryKS

2 dollars. WOW. So expensive. I was expecting something in the 50s, something that means my machine doesn't risk melting down.

Yams

Damn, MHK dropping the multi-lingual beats

I actually do believe the PS5 will have excellent cooling because, frankly, it needs to

can’t wait to see the design

I’m convinced it will look similar to the Dev kit. Why would Sony design something so unusual if they didn’t plan on using it.

They could of just thrown the components into a big box like every other dev kit, but they didn’t.

HeadsUp7Up

The only thing I ask is that when you post a developer tweeting about how revolutionary it is they should also include some examples. I want to know what ideas they’ve had that they could never do that Sony’s SSD now makes it possible. Get me hyped instead of just telling me I should be happy.
The rest of you should be asking for the same exact thing instead of having blind faith in people that only want your money.

ClearMind

Report me for console warring (Xbot, Xbro etc.)
I'm still expecting the PlayStation 5 to debut with the wicked V-shaped design, something that doesn't just look interesting but it'll be important for the cooling of the various chips inside of the PS5. Now the renders being leaked over the last few months are making more sense, given that a reputable site like Bloomberg is reporting that Sony chose to "lavish more" on the cooling system of the PS5.
I wanted to like your comment with 'fire' but the PS5 lavish cooling system froze it.

IH4eMT9.jpg

Since, everyone is posting 'real devs'

1ilqgqd.png

That doesn't make any sense when the Wired article from early 2019 already focused on mainly the SSD and 3D audio. Raw power is and always has been the only thing Xbox has going for them. Anybody interested in just pure power should just go and build a PC, you'd be much happier.

If anything, it was MS who scrambled with bastardized attempts at riding on Sony's coattails.

I definitely think that ms have taken a few pointers from sony like the ssd drive, but its too obvious that microsoft caught sony by surprise by using a 12tf gpu and they have tried to pull back some flops by overclocking it. I just hope the console doesn’t overheat, because if they want a small form factor it is will heat unless they have some miracle cooling system.

CJY

Banned
I definitely think that ms have taken a few pointers from sony like the ssd drive, but its too obvious that microsoft caught sony by surprise by using a 12tf gpu and they have tried to pull back some flops by overclocking it. I just hope the console doesn’t overheat, because if they want a small form factor it is will heat unless they have some miracle cooling system.

Dude, I like you because that avatar is awesome, but you really really need to stop calling it an overclock when countless sources have already debunked that myth.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I wanted to like your comment with 'fire' but the PS5 lavish cooling system froze it.

IH4eMT9.jpg

1ilqgqd.png
And everyone praising Prophet Cerny's holy recitations are either Sony/ex-Sony first party dev or some composer in a random PlayStation game. I also posted this that you ignored
I would rather listen to a guy who creates Shmups than a composer of some random PlayStation game. Or do you want to listen to a guy who has worked on Valve and Space X

Or do you want me to flood this thread with Louis Kirby tweets ?

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I heard that if you tell your insurance company you have a PS5 your fire insurance premiums will go up. :sneaky:

LordOfChaos

Bloomberg wrote: "Most of the components for the console have been locked down, the people said, including the cooling system, which is unusually expensive at a few dollars per unit", adding that "typically, companies would spend less than a dollar" on the cooling system -- but Sony opted to "lavish more" on the PlayStation 5 cooling system.

Surely the added cooling cost wouldn't be more than the added CU cost, otherwise this route seems unproductive. So close enough with higher clocks + lower cost could be their strategy.

Last edited:

Windows-PC

Banned
To conclude
  • PS5 is the next PS3 with power of cell and Cerny is the next Kutaragi. Specs dont matter, unless they are told it matters by Cerny
  • It will cost 400 USD, but games will somehow look better on PS5 than XSX. Ahh, the magic of Secret Sauce.
  • PS5 will be cheaper and more powerful than XSX because GAF wishes so, just like they wished for PS5 to be 13 TF.
  • Tempest Engine is better because of Cerny's half an hour ASMR not because they didnt want to spend money licensing Dolby Atmos. It will better even though Xbox did Spatial Audio last gen in Xbox One X and even had Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, now they have a dedicated audio chip for Spatial Audio in Series X along with Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Windows Sonic. Not to mention Microsoft has been working on Project Acoustics and Audio Ray Tracing since 2012(a topic Cerny lightly brushed aside in his Wired interview and ASMR reveal video).
Never fail me GAF. You are amazing when drunk.

I also wanted to add that I lost alot respect for Mark Cernty because of how hard he tried to downplay the importance of TF's just because the competition clearly is in advantage.

The PS5 will be absolute fine with 10.3 TF's and will also have great games, he should have shown some games to show what you can archive with 10.3 TF's instead of downplaying the importance of TF's

And if TF's are not important anymore to Mark Cerny, than I don't understand why in hell he overclocked the GPU in a horrendous way to reach 10.3 TF's to match the competition instead of keeping 8-9.2 TF's!

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
To X fans, the only "real devs" tech expertise only applies if they are not first/2nd party devs despite putting out GOTY winning triple A games
The only "real devs" whose opinion are not bias and carries more weight to X fans are those that don't work for Sony hmmm..

X12k8U1.png

Indie game confirmed lol

And everyone praising Prophet Cerny's holy recitations are either Sony/ex-Sony first party dev or some composer in a random PlayStation game. I also posted this that you ignored

Or do you want me to flood this thread with Louis Kirby tweets ?
Who is Louis Kirby, and why should we believe him over other developers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom