• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 cooling system is 'lavish', makes the PS5 more expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Bloomberg it doesn't cost that much more. And if the result is a cool and quiet console I don't see an issue with that.

Your acting like the cooling will increase the BoM by 100$. That won't be the case.
Sony is already struggling (Bloomberg's word, not mine) with PS5's price, I dont see how this helps at all

That struggle is due to the prices of the memory not the cooling system. If Sony really wanted to reduce the price by alot the ram and the SSD would be their focus.
My exact words were "I dont see how this helps at all" But yes, that 5GB/s SSD really costs a lot. Hence why its 850gb instead of 1TB.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Okay, let me rephrase it, Sony should've just stuck with the 9.2 teraflops instead of "boosting the clocks"
If you put the pieces together from the news we've been hearing, the GPU was certainly over clocked to reach that variable 10TF. Especially when you add the new cooling system. Sony fans won't like it, but more and more it sounds like Microsoft surprised Sony with a 12tf GPU.

My exact words were "I dont see how this helps at all" But yes, that 5GB/s SSD really costs a lot. Hence why its 850gb instead of 1TB.

"Most of the components for the console have been locked down, the people said, including the cooling system, which is unusually expensive at a few dollars per unit."

"The company’s biggest headache is ensuring a reliable supply of DRAM and NAND flash memory, with both in high demand as smartphone makers gear up for fifth-generation devices, according to people familiar with Sony’s operations."

Like I said the cooling system isn't the problem. It's the SSD and the Ram that's causing the issues. They could always go with a more basic SSD (4 lanes instead of 12) and reduce the ram to 8GB but that would severely hinder the I/O solution and 8GB of ram wouldn't be enough.

Btw I'm just going off what Bloomberg said.

Last edited:

"Most of the components for the console have been locked down, the people said, including the cooling system, which is unusually expensive at a few dollars per unit."

"The company’s biggest headache is ensuring a reliable supply of DRAM and NAND flash memory, with both in high demand as smartphone makers gear up for fifth-generation devices, according to people familiar with Sony’s operations."

Like I said the cooling system isn't the problem. It's the SSD and the Ram that's causing the issues. They could always go with a more basic SSD (4 lanes instead of 12) and reduce the ram to 8GB but that would severely hinder the I/O solution and 8GB of ram wouldn't be enough.
The cooling system ("unusually expensive") may not be the biggest problem but as I said, it certainly doesn't help

The cooling system ("unusually expensive") may not be the biggest problem but as I said, it certainly doesn't help

It's only a few dollars per unit. Which is barely anything compared to what the ram and I/O setup costs.

Downgrading to 9.2TF just to save a few bucks isn't the way to drastically decrease the BoM. The best solution is to reduce the cost of the Ram and the I/O setup because according to Bloomberg that's what's causing the pricing problem.

CrysisFreak

Banned
NAND prices will come down again a year after release probably and day one buyers of PS5 are probably big spenders (thank us later) so I hope this will not be a major issue for SIE.

It's only a few dollars per unit. Which is barely anything compared to what the ram and I/O setup costs.

Downgrading to 9.2TF just to save a few bucks isn't the way to drastically decrease the BoM. The best solution is to reduce the cost of the Ram and the I/O setup because according to Bloomberg that's what's causing the pricing problem.
My God.

Nickolaidas

I'll take that bet. I can guarantee you'll see noticeable differences in assets, textures, frames and resolutions with Series X. Not to say the PS5 won't be a beast in its own rights. But overall, the Series X will deliver much better in head to head comparisons. You in or out?

I own both an X-box One X and a Pro. There are quite a few titles I've owned on both systems, because I decided to let go of my X and focus on Sony consoles only. As a result, I re-purchased Devil May Cry V, Resident Evil 2, Shadow Warrior 2, Divinity Original Sin and Mortal Kombat 11 for my PS4 Pro.

There is absolutely no difference between Resident Evil 2 and Devil May Cry V between X1X and Pro. Couldn't find a single difference.

In Mortal Kombat 11, I *think* the visuals looked a bit sharper on the X1X, but not to the point that I can say 'whoa! there's a huge difference there!'

Shadow Warrior 2 looked 100% identical, to my amazement. I expected the X1X version to look sharper and play faster, but it looked completely the same.

Divinity Original Sin clearly looked better on the X1X. It looked clearly sharper, and the colors looked crisp, while on the Pro the colors kind of bleed out, and the picture is a bit blurry compared to the X1X version.

My personal verdict is that while the X1X is clearly a stronger machine than the Pro, one would be hard to see proof by looking at the games.

I think the same will be true for the upcoming gen as well. Those who expect the multiplats to look twice as good on the Series X are in for a big surprise.

Last edited:
"Most of the components for the console have been locked down, the people said"

That effectively shuts down the Microsoft FUD that the PS5 was a 9.2 GPU where Sony scrambled at the last minute to up the clocks "to compete."

These things are locked in well in advance

You cant just up the clocks that much at the last second. It doesn't work like that. It would throw design and cooling solution off

It all has to be designed for well in advance to work in tandum

This article is several months old, which shows you the high clock speeds, with the advanced cooling solution, were already locked down and being done well in advance

PS5 GPU was always 10.3tflops with high clock speeds

But tflops arent all that important.

If you listened to what Cerny said, theres a reason why they went with such a high clock speed. It becomes obvious there was always a clear gameplan there. Theres a purpose to high clock speeds.

And its only variable to prevent loud noises or heating (which many have complained about with PS4 and PS4 pro. Notice how Cerny directly addressed that)

Mark Cerny is a modern day fucking genius of unheard of proportion

The full scope of what Cerny has actually accomplished wont be appreciated until you see it in action

But theres a reason why developers are calling the PS5 the greatest and most exciting hardware in 20 years

Theres a reason why developers are calling the PS5 the most innovative, forward-thinking, most revolutionary built gaming console ever created that they have ever seen

The tempest engine

The gemortry engine

The SSD

All cutting edge stuff leagues above any competitors

Plus there are many features that still haven't been disclosed yet which offer more advantages over the xbox1x

The PS5 is an insanely revolutionary console. Its much more forward thinking, much better designed, and much more balanced then the xbox1x

This is why people were telling you NOT to put so much stock into such a meaningless metric as tflops. Tflops is just a meaningless number that's used as fanboy marketing for microsoft. Dont fall for that narrative or FUD. Listen to what developers are actually saying

You can take this to the bank, the PS5 will be outperforming the xbox1x silly in real world benchmarks and performance.

The PS5 is truly a modern day marvel of engineering, design, and performance. Cerny is something else

I think Sony can leverage some of their power to get some better manufacturing deals.

A 400$ PS5 would be the absolute fucking deal of the century. I think that's what it will be. Just listen to Sony's messaging. They are very proce conscious. PS5 will repeat PS4 domination

If things don't work out as planned I can see PS5 at 425$ or 450$. Price is very important to Sony. They WILL 100% come in cheaper then xbox1x no matter what (while being the actual more powerful console in actual real world performance)

30 people actually liked this guys drivel. lol

They should've kept the clocks lower, bring the numbers down even more. And leave it as an RDNA1 GPU as well. And maybe cheapen out on the SSD as well. Would have made everyone's lives simpler. Less expensive console, easier to cool, GitHub leak would have been 100% right, it would have been easier to boast about the SeX superiority...

RDNA2 is easier to cool than RDNA1. Thats half the POINT of moving to RDNA2. Such confusion here.

That's practically guaranteed if past consoles are anything to go by

And what would that mean total domination ? Hardly ..I'm sorry but they were practically giving away Xbox's in massive deals all this gen and still ended up selling what ? Half the amount of the competition even with the "power crown" as you put it ...
Why do people still think that even at the same price and more powerful = winning when historically it's games and games only and Microsoft still have alot to do in that front.... Specs don't mean nowt without the rest

Gavon West

And what would that mean total domination ? Hardly ..I'm sorry but they were practically giving away Xbox's in massive deals all this gen and still ended up selling what ? Half the amount of the competition even with the "power crown" as you put it ...
Why do people still think that even at the same price and more powerful = winning when historically it's games and games only and Microsoft still have alot to do in that front.... Specs don't mean nowt without the rest
Why do you assume we're only suggesting power is the one thing that wins generations? No one said that. But the first thing people will notice are the visuals. Visuals are accomplished through power. If power really didn't matter, we wouldn't have new gens. Technology always moves forward.

But, what confuses me is how Sony fans forget that XGS has an assload of devs now. More than they ever have with more to be announced. This is unprecedented growth for the Xbox division that no one has ever seen. And they have 100% support from Microsoft themselves. Again, unprecedented! You really believe Sony will just handidly stomp next generation like they did with this one against a trillion dollar company in full support of their games division? You're nuts.

Okay, let me rephrase it, Sony should've just stuck with the 9.2 teraflops instead of "boosting the clocks"

So Sony should have shut off boost clocks?

LOL Yeah. Makes sense. Lets shut off the thing that all graphics cards have done for many years.

Graphics cards, lets use AMD specifically. they always use BASE clock which is low- that is NOT
what the XSX is running, by that logic the XSX is "overclocked" also. The XSX is running its boost clock
all the time without an ability to turn it down. The reason the boost clock is lower than the PS5 is the number
of CUs, Microsoft is just claiming their setup will never throttle it down- and its also less aggressive and shaped
to cool that config. Both are running "boost" Sony is admitting they'll clock it down if things get hot and heavy.

MS has designed their console around constant boost clocks. Their clocks are basically unachievable on a 50+CU AMD card today,
they are just as unreasonable as Sony's clocks but because of the messaging during reveal and the "muh github" people are
seeing it kind of bizarrely. " Radeon RX VEGA 56 has a base clock of 1156 MHz with a boost clock of 1471 MHz " Which is a 56CU card from AMD.

That is like 400mhz less than the XSX clock.

The 5700 XT often boosts up past 1900mhz. Thats, percentage wise, a smaller clock difference to the PS5 than current equivalent 50 + CU card
clocks are from the XSX.

I dont know why Im writing a book for you guys you wont hear anything but "Boost" and call it OC, you dont know anything about PC hardware
outside of "my friend cooked his I5 overclocking it in 2012 LOL SONY IS DUMB"

FranXico

You really believe Sony will just handidly stomp next generation like they did with this one against a trillion dollar company in full support of their games division? You're nuts
I agree, Sony doesn't stand a chance against a trillion dollar company.

But what do you think will happen after Sony packs up and leaves gaming? How does Microsoft's ultimate victory benefit you in the end? Honest question.

So Sony should have shut off boost clocks?

LOL Yeah. Makes sense. Lets shut off the thing that all graphics cards have done for many years.

Graphics cards, lets use AMD specifically. they always use BASE clock which is low- that is NOT
what the XSX is running, by that logic the XSX is "overclocked" also. The XSX is running its boost clock
all the time without an ability to turn it down. The reason the boost clock is lower than the PS5 is the number
of CUs, Microsoft is just claiming their setup will never throttle it down- and its also less aggressive and shaped
to cool that config. Both are running "boost" Sony is admitting they'll clock it down if things get hot and heavy.

MS has designed their console around constant boost clocks. Their clocks are basically unachievable on a 50+CU AMD card today,
they are just as unreasonable as Sony's clocks but because of the messaging during reveal and the "muh github" people are
seeing it kind of bizarrely. " Radeon RX VEGA 56 has a base clock of 1156 MHz with a boost clock of 1471 MHz " Which is a 56CU card from AMD.

That is like 400mhz less than the XSX clock.

The 5700 XT often boosts up past 1900mhz. Thats, percentage wise, a smaller clock difference to the PS5 than current equivalent 50 + CU card
clocks are from the XSX.

I dont know why Im writing a book for you guys you wont hear anything but "Boost" and call it OC, you dont know anything about PC hardware
outside of "my friend cooked his I5 overclocking it in 2012 LOL SONY IS DUMB"
Oh now MS is lying. Any source on that?
"Ms is also boosting their clocks so how is the PS5 any worse?" You sound like a child.
XSX clock boost is not even close to what Sony is doing with the PS5

But what do you think will happen after Sony packs up and leaves gaming? How does Microsoft's ultimate victory benefit you in the end? Honest question.
Who wants sony to "pack up" and leave gaming?

Last edited:

Gavon West

Sony has incredible Dev talent and amazing software. That cannot be denied regardless which flag you wave. I'm not even suggesting Microsoft will suddenly storm Sony on the games front. Not one bit, actually. They'll need to create bangers that sing, and loudly, next gen. But, Sony will have a battle next gen. It won't be all out genocide like this gen. And gamers need that heavy competition from both companies trying to out do the other. We win in the end.

I am whole heartedly suggesting that XGS will be a force of nature next gen though. Next gen won't be like this one. XGS will give Sony's WW studios a run for their money.

Last edited:

sendit

Well I'm only going with what Bloomberg is saying. Can't imagine the PS5 with inferior ram but they definitely could have went with a slower SSD if they really wanted to decrease the price.

The custom I/O chip was designed for a specific SSD spec requirement. Why do you assume they could have went with a slower SSD? Please explain.

Why do you assume we're only suggesting power is the one thing that wins generations? No one said that. But the first thing people will notice are the visuals. Visuals are accomplished through power. If power really didn't matter, we wouldn't have new gens. Technology always moves forward.

But, what confuses me is how Sony fans forget that XGS has an assload of devs now. More than they ever have with more to be announced. This is unprecedented growth for the Xbox division that no one has ever seen. And they have 100% support from Microsoft themselves. Again, unprecedented! You really believe Sony will just handidly stomp next generation like they did with this one against a trillion dollar company in full support of their games division? You're nuts.

Like I've said before Microsoft have always had the dough since the very start so it doesn't fly today with the trillion dollar company stuff I don't buy it ...
What proof have you they won't stomp ms again this gen I mean people know what we will be getting with sony because they deliver and to be honest I'm only commenting because I've seen you in a few threads now saying things like Sony fans watch out and they don't know what's coming lol so tell us what's coming then ? You don't know yourself it's fanboy crap .

Gavon West

Like I've said before Microsoft have always had the dough since the very start so it doesn't fly today with the trillion dollar company stuff I don't buy it ...
What proof have you they won't stomp ms again this gen I mean people know what we will be getting with sony because they deliver and to be honest I'm only commenting because I've seen you in a few threads now saying things like Sony fans watch out and they don't know what's coming lol so tell us what's coming then ? You don't know yourself it's fanboy crap .
First, if youre even remotely as tapped in as you suggest, then you know the Xbox division has NEVER had 100% support from Microsoft. In fact, during the Mattrick era, the Xbox division was constrained by budget across the board as share holders were pretty keen on axing the Xbox as a whole.

And if you knew that, you'd also know that it was Phil Spencer who suggested to Nadella to go all in on Xbox with Phil shortly after offered a seat as the CEO of the Xbox division, answering only to Nadella from then on. Hence why you've seen the massive influx of studios, devs, GP, Xcloud etc in a short period of time. And they still aren't done. None of this was the case, even since the OG Xbox inception. It most certainly is the case now-Full stop.

That's why...

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
They should've kept the clocks lower, bring the numbers down even more. And leave it as an RDNA1 GPU as well. And maybe cheapen out on the SSD as well. Would have made everyone's lives simpler. Less expensive console, easier to cool, GitHub leak would have been 100% right, it would have been easier to boast about the SeX superiority...

Or Sony should have just let someone else than Cerny do the presentation, or at very least check what he was going to say and edit it accordingly, instead of freely letting him go out there and spread FUD... IMO Sony still needs proper replacements for Kaz and Tretton, people who can walk up in front of the crowds and do the job, with bo room left for questions. We will see if Sony steps up their game at the rumored May/June reveal, but so far Cerny did a terrible job and let all the doors open for all sorts of rumors.

First, if youre even remotely as tapped in as you suggest, then you know the Xbox division has NEVER had 100% support from Microsoft. In fact, during the Mattrick era, the Xbox division was constrained by budget across the board as share holders were pretty keen on axing the Xbox as a whole.

And if you knew that, you'd also know that it was Phil Spencer who suggested to Nadella to go all in on Xbox with Phil shortly after offered a seat as the CEO of the Xbox division, answering only to Nadella from then on. Hence why you've seen the massive influx of studios, devs, GP, Xcloud etc in a short period of time. And they still aren't done. None of this was the case, even since the OG Xbox inception. It most certainly is the case now-Full stop.

That's why...

Weren't they buying lots of timed exclusive dlc and games and stuff in the 360 era ? Doesn't sound like they have ever been starved of the cash .

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Or Sony should have just let someone else than Cerny do the presentation, or at very least check what he was going to say and edit it accordingly, instead of freely letting him go out there and spread FUD... IMO Sony still needs proper replacements for Kaz and Tretton, people who can walk up in front of the crowds and do the job, with bo room left for questions. We will see if Sony steps up their game at the rumored May/June reveal, but so far Cerny did a terrible job and let all the doors open for all sorts of rumors.
It's because the PS5 still has secrets that they won't reveal just yet
RHqNjMv.jpg

Aceofspades

Banned

Most ridiculous statement I have ever seen on Gaf EVER. LOL

Gavon West

Weren't they buying lots of timed exclusive dlc and games and stuff in the 360 era ? Doesn't sound like they have ever been starved of the cash .
They were. Its been heavily documented for those who want to know. That's precisely why they leaned so heavily on Gears, Halo and For a for tentpole IP's during the 360 era and much of the Xbox One era as well. Phil has 100% support from Microsoft with a seat at the Big Boy table now. Gears, Halo and Forza will still by synonmous with Xbox. But they won't be the only IP's from here on out. Xbox has games bruh...

Arkam

Why are people so certain that Sony "boosted clocks" last minute? Changing spec is very normal. The 360 had a kit that was 2.7ghz then the next kit was 3.2ghz and came very close to launch. Hell we still used the 2.7ghz testkits til they RRoD. So again where is any evidence that this change in frequency was not planned? Same for the cooling being exotic to deal with more than average heat? Cery explained it was due to complaints about PS4 fans being loud. I am not doubting the above, just want any sources in order to believe.

Gavon West

Most ridiculous statement I have ever seen on Gaf EVER. LOL
Cerny botched that lecture. Hard AF. If it was as successful as many suggest, there wouldn't be this hyper adamant, damage control we've been seeing from Sony fans and devs alike. Literally, every thread created to try and put the PS5 in a better light (and there are many every week) proves it. It reeks of desperation. If Sony were top dog in hardware, or the message was clearer, we wouldn't need all these elaborate mind twisting alternate realties so many come up with m8.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Add to that...imagine considering a pure tech talk aimed at developers to be part of marketing FUD .

Some people man 🤣

A GDC video with 14 million views HAD 100k+ DISLIKES, ITS OVER SONY

It’s absolutely delicious that even with all the good news about the XSX, these people still obsess over the PS5 more than they will ever obsess over the product they plan on buying.

Last edited:
Oh now MS is lying. Any source on that?
"Ms is also boosting their clocks so how is the PS5 any worse?" You sound like a child.
XSX clock boost is not even close to what Sony is doing with the PS5

Who wants sony to "pack up" and leave gaming?
Why are you so triggered?

All I hear is- without evidence that the PS5 needs to be downclocked, that its overheating, that Sony is lying and the "boost clocks" are reactionary- NO SOURCES. Just
Fanboy FUD. And I give examples showing that Microsofts clock rate is very very high compared to previous AMD clocks-

You insist what.. Microsoft is going to leave performance on the table? Or what... that NOT leaving performance on the table and Sony doing what
every PC graphics card has done for many years is somehow a bad choice? I sound like a child for pointing out that Microsofts clocks are high
and could be open for the same critique as Sony's 'boost clock" which gives Sony a way to mitigate the possible heat where Microsoft claims
they never will make any attempt no matter how HOT the system gets? (LOL bs)

Sony's boost is about ~300mhz about a 15 percent boost over previous gen similarly numbered CU cards.
Microsofts is about 22 percent higher than similar cards from this generation.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
Cerny botched that lecture. Hard AF. If it was as successful as many suggest, there wouldn't be this hyper adamant, damage control we've been seeing from Sony fans and devs alike. Literally, every thread created to try and put the PS5 in a better light (and there are many every week) proves it. It reeks of desperation. If Sony were top dog in hardware, or the message was clearer, we wouldn't need all these elaborate mind twisting alternate realties so many come up with m8.

Bolded is your imagination, PS5 logo and Dualsense has generated more positive buzz than anything Microsoft has ever done.

Sometimes I feel bad for MS, they pay for thousands astrosurfers, they have a cult following , they invite crazy discorders to their events, they have fake audiences in Xbox events, they do all this effort just to tarnish Playstation. In the end they will fail and 2020 will mark 19 years of Microsoft being shown who is the boss in the gaming industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom