• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 Design & Form factor

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
So lets discuss the design of the Playstation 5. How is it gonna look? Is it still like a classic console or are they also adopting the tower design? Will the cooling effect its final design? Wich colors can whe expect at launch? Is there gonna be a ssd sloth? And by the looks of the dev kits, it has some serious cooling. The dev kits looks a bit bulky but also bad ass.
eGbdqJr.jpg

A cleaned up dev kit, doesn't look bad
sony-playstation-5-pro.jpg

Also there are some fan made renders that look really good
ps5-playstation-5-sony-1.900x.jpg

v4zaVhaUgmjuGKqmJmk4cb-768-80.png

PlayStation-5-621x385.png

playstation-5.jpg

0_PS5-PlayStation-5-Concept.jpg

EPnW0UlXkAAazKw.jpg

playstation-5-ve-kontrolcusu-icin-hazirlanan-konsept-video-1-660x371.jpg

78c56cc3-ps5-playstation-5-concept-vr4player-001-1140x641.jpg

Which one would you prefer?
Please no console wars in here, only discuss the PS5 design

Turk1993

Those two are my winners, so sleek and beautiful. The upper one takes the crown, looks new and fresh, as oppose to the lower one that looks like a mix of PS3SS and PS4S.
Yup the first one is my favorite also, but i like them in white more :)

Yams

The second one is my favourite. I said it in another thread, but I think the console will look very similar to the dev kit. Why go through the trouble of creating such a unique design if you don't plan on using it.

Orta

Banned
I'd like to see Sony buck the trend of designing pretentious out of proportion warped consoles. The PS2, 3 & 4 didn't stand out from the crowd or were as Sony probably intended, revolutionary designs, they just looked shit. 25 years on the original Playstation is still the nicest looking console they've made.

This is nice, well it would be if it weren't for the top of it looking like a scanner lid. Align it with the base and its a looker.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Those two are my winners, so sleek and beautiful. The upper one takes the crown, looks new and fresh, as oppose to the lower one that looks like a mix of PS3SS and PS4S.

The upper one is the only one I like at all and although I usually don't like white electronics, I prefer the white one for some reason.

I remember some time ago someone posted a really sleek, minimal design that I really, really liked, but there are WAY too many posts in that thread to try to find it at this point.

Cock of War

So lets discuss the design of the Playstation 5. How is it gonna look? Is it still like a classic console or are they also adopting the tower design? Will the cooling effect its final design? Wich colors can whe expect at launch? Is there gonna be a ssd sloth? And by the looks of the dev kits, it has some serious cooling. The dev kits looks a bit bulky but also bad ass.

3kin64.png

Neo_game

Except the last one which is horrible lol all other look acceptable. My favorite though is the V shape with those fins on either side.

Which one would you prefer?

giphy.gif

Considering the shape of the dev kit, I think most of these aren’t realistic in terms of cooling. The last one could work and looks nice, but it’s not that space efficient.

Turk1993

The upper one is the only one I like at all and although I usually don't like white electronics, I prefer the white one for some reason.

I remember some time ago someone posted a really sleek, minimal design that I really, really liked, but there are WAY too many posts in that thread to try to find it at this point.
If it was in the Next gen OT, it was probably from me, i posted there a clean white one.
maxresdefault.jpg

Bryank75

Banned
I'd like to see Sony buck the trend of designing pretentious out of proportion warped consoles. The PS2, 3 & 4 didn't stand out from the crowd or were as Sony probably intended, revolutionary designs, they just looked shit. 25 years on the original Playstation is still the nicest looking console they've made.

This is nice, well it would be if it weren't for the top of it looking like a scanner lid. Align it with the base and its a looker.

Looks the most premium to me and I'd be very happy with that!

SaucyJack

I don't care about the design so long as it fits on the shelf in my entertainment unit and has one or more USB ports on the BACK of the console.

I was trying to think of ways to combine my favorite with the cooling design of the dev kit. I think if you took the triangular cut out of the bottom one it would look fine. Top section would need to be a little taller possibly but I think it would look fine. Though I'm not engineer so who knows.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
If it was in the Next gen OT, it was probably from me, i posted there a clean white one.
maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah it was in the spec thread, but that's not it either, although it's decent looking too.

I don't actually fully remember what it looked like. I'm thinking now it is probably the one I selected in here (the simple white & black ones). Maybe I've seen them too many times and grown jaded, because they really are a good-looking minimalist design. I like the balanced shape and the simple form and for some reason I really like it in white. Plus I remember being very impressed with those 2 when I first saw them.

Geki-D

Banned
Doesn't look bad tbh
Too impractical. I'd imagine setting the components inside a ball would be more difficult, it would have to be really small to remain compact because it's taking up space in all directions, I'm pretty sure being round would make it more fragile if dropped, and on that note unplugged it could actually roll if knocked or not placed on its stand and fall.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
It's gonna look like this.

SQx9x-KJ6a-Xa3w4-BZzg-Uy3h-1200-80.jpg

(made it in 5 minutes using Paint, don't judge lol)

That area on the bottom left is a Wireless Fast Charger Pad, it directly charges your Dualshock 5.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turk1993

It's gonna look like this.

SQx9x-KJ6a-Xa3w4-BZzg-Uy3h-1200-80.jpg

(made it in 5 minutes using Paint, don't judge lol)

That area on the bottom left is a Wireless Fast Charger Pad, it can directly charge your Dualshock 5.
Design is iffy (lol) but the idea of a wireless charger for the controller is actually a brilliant idea. Every time you end your gaming session, just place the controller on the wireless charging area and next time you pick it up its charged. It would be really nice if Sony would put it in the console.

Top Bottom