• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 Digital Edition is the sweet spot for most gamers

Is PS5 Digital Edition the way to go this gen?

• Yes, price/performance KING! (PS5 DE)

Votes: 106 28.6%
  • FUCK NO, I need my disk drive! (PS5)

Votes: 197 53.2%
  • I NEED MY 12 TERAFLOPS!! (XSX)

Votes: 55 14.9%
  • 1080p is enough for me(XSS)

Votes: 12 3.2%

• Total voters

Sentenza

Yeah, I think if I'll end up getting one (which I have currently no intention to) this is the one I'll buy.
I already bought only digital even on the PS4 PRO anyway. I don't care about "reselling my copies".
I never bother reselling games to begin with, and frankly I value the two hours of my time I'd waste going back and forth from the retail store more than the ten bucks a Gamestop employee would pay me for my used copy.

P.S. I hate every single option on this poll, but I guess I'll pick the first one as it's the closest to my answer.

Last edited:

scydrex

Nah you're just getting fucked by making the PlayStation Store your only store. I feel the same way about the Series S for the most part but at least it's much cheaper.

Is cheaper and weaker and no. Disc only for me especially if the games will cost $70. I already stopped buying games at launch or full price. I prefer to wait.

Limiting how you are able to play your games by taking away the disc drive is the sweet spot? Not sweet enough for me I'm afraid.

Reactions: MrS

sublimit

Banned
We will see how "sweet" it will be when those who will purchase it get "locked" in the store's 80$ prices for new games.

Blond

Banned
Nah you're just getting fucked by making the PlayStation Store your only store. I feel the same way about the Series S for the most part but at least it's much cheaper.

to be fair any game you buy there can also be played on PC, so in the unlikely event the Xbox store shuts down in the future you can back them up on PC and apply cracks which is something that also in the unlikely event Sony and Nintendo go under there’s no options like that which is why I also want consoles to be hacked.

Pimpbaa

Sweet spot for me. Physical and digital games cost the same for me (euro folk don't seem to get this, physical isn't cheaper worldwide), no local game store to resell my games, I have a fast internet connection, plus there are frequent sales on PSN.

I was going to stick with my PC upgrade and switch this coming gen but the digital console has got me interested.

I don't really game much on modern consoles anymore but I do want Demon Souls and the rumoured Silent Hill. So for the odd exclusive its perfect.

Lysandros

Again (and last time) OP, from where this upper bound 25% of performance difference is coming from? I am just curious, enlighten me please.

mili2110

Again (and last time) OP, from where this upper bound 25% of performance difference is coming from? I am just curious, enlighten me please.

10.3 TF variable clocks vs 12 TF fixed frequency for GPU + max. 3.5 Ghz vs 3.6Ghz fixed for CPU. XSX is at least 18% and IMO max. 25% faster. Smallest performance gap ever, so dont worry bruv.

Lysandros

10.3 TF variable clocks vs 12 TF fixed frequency for GPU + max. 3.5 Ghz vs 3.6Ghz fixed for CPU. XSX is at least 18% and IMO max. 25% faster. Smallest performance gap ever, so dont worry bruv.
I can't say that i agree, you don't seem to have a deep technical knowledge about the systems. So that precise 25% is just your personal opinion. The problem is you presented it as a known fact on your list. Anyway, that's clear now, thanks for your reply.

Karmic Raze

I REALLY want the DE PS5, so I am going to try to snag one when the pre-orders start back up over the next few days. I have a physical PS5 pre-ordered on Amazon, but I wanted the DE from the start and I’ll happily cancel my Amazon pre-order if I can secure the DE.

Ar¢tos

I REALLY want the DE PS5, so I am going to try to snag one when the pre-orders start back up over the next few days. I have a physical PS5 pre-ordered on Amazon, but I wanted the DE from the start and I’ll happily cancel my Amazon pre-order if I can secure the DE.
I'm also trying to get a DE. Initial quantity of those is very low (understandable, since it's where they take most loss) and I found out that some websites of physical stores just refused to list them, they will put all their DEs for sale on the store on the day quietly, so I guess retailers aren't happy with the digital future perspective.
Amazon doesn't operate here, so now I have to check the stores DE pages every day hoping more stock becomes available (or go physically to the main store here and get on the waiting list).

Cyborg

Still getting de discdive PS5.
But If you would want to go digital PS5 is a easy choice over XSX. If you claim anything else well.........

mili2110

Best Value :
1: PS5 DE: 38.9 $/€ per TF
2: XSX : 41.6 $/€ per TF
3: Ps5 : 48.6 $/€ per TF
4: XSS : 75 $/€ per TF

Wow.

justjohn

Cmon, its 399$.
Compared to XSX:
- Almost same performance (18%-25% delta)
- 2x faster SSD
- 100$ cheaper
- better 1st party games (2021 looks packed already)

compared to XSS:
- Almost 2.5x the performance for only 100$ more
- 4k vs. 1440p/1080p
- bigger and faster SSD (512gb vs 825gb)
- better 1st party games IMO

What do you think? IMO the PS5 DE is the sweet spot for most gamers. In the 7 yrs of PS4, I only had 1 game on disk (CoD Ghosts) which was a gift. So I will gladly go digital only. I shared all my games with a friend, so every brand new game is 30$ max. each and theres almost always some kind of sale going on. I hope Sony doesn't change account sharing with the PS5 lel.
Agree entirely. The only “downside” is lack of disc but considering a lot of people have moved to digital and will keep moving there over the coming years, it’ll no longer be a downside in a few years time

mili2110

Agree entirely. The only “downside” is lack of disc but considering a lot of people have moved to digital and will keep moving there over the coming years, it’ll no longer be a downside in a few years time

yeah. I mean nobody really complained when there was only STEAM on PC, since there were regular sales (PSN Stores has those too). Of course its better to have competition. (I hope EU forces to have 3rd party app stores for apple, sony, MS etc). in the future. You can also find cheap PS4 game keys/accounts from 3rd party sellers too on sites like keysforsteam etc.

Jokerevo

Banned
gameshare is definitely a thing and makes digital very viable. I gameshared a lot of games with my bro last year and that's why my digital library swelled. But i bought physical because I want UHD movie playback and I still prefer to sell on my big AAA launch day buys after I've finished them.

Ascend

From best to worst :
1. PS5 DE: 38.9 $/€ per TF
2. XSX : 41.6 $/€ per TF
3. Ps5 : 48.6 $/€ per TF
4. XSS : 75 $/€ per TF
giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom