• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 has about 50x the processing power/ram of PS3. Games do not look 50x better!

It's not just about graphics; higher resolutions exponentially increase pixel counts, higher framerates with more logic and events per frame sticking to small frame timings for steady refresh rates also require exponentially more processing power.
Higher resolution need quadratically more processing power, less if you account for "fixed costs", higher frame rate more than linearly if you account for "fixed costs" that don't scale with flops
This might help visualize, he law of diminishing returns, in videogames and graphics.

polygon-count-diminishing-returns-consoles.jpeg
That picture has been debunked many times. Just applying subdiv to the 6k model does not make it more detailed. Otherwise you would see more details in the e.g hair than a smooth blob

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
I think a lot of people, and devs, underestimate the power of the imagination filling in the blanks.

Even if you can tell the difference between a 100k poly model and a 500k, the final result in what your brain interprets is very similar.

The brain does a lot of processing of missing cues and info.

In fact, the more detail is added, the closer it is to the uncanny valley of 'it looks real but at the same time not', which could bother some.

I would bet my neck that we could have more amazing and immersive worlds, at half the polycount, and better illymination techniques and art direction.

kyussman

The thing is I want games to look like games anyway.I don't want photorealism,I want games to all have their own artistic looks.....animation is the one thing that I really want to get so good that it's the same as real life because that really sells immersion for me in a game more than a good texture.

Life

An ant can carry its own body weight - I'm 1000x stronger than an ant, why can't I do that?

Last edited:

If anything the article scientifically proves that a gamecube + duct tape is a far more reliable unit of measurement than flops.

Top Bottom