• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 information page on Turkish retailer suggests backward compatibility from PS2 upwards

Caffeine

I see.

Are you sure it's not 8?
9-10.28 its variable but I was just bringing the baseline since a ps1 emulator doesnt need much power to get running well. the ps1 emulator they had over a decade was pretty decent u could even inject other games that were not officially released and they would run well in a playable state.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

9-10.28 its variable but I was just bringing the baseline since a ps1 emulator doesnt need much power to get running well. the ps1 emulator they had over a decade was pretty decent u could even inject other games that were not officially released and they would run well in a playable state.
Just got no idea where you're getting that 9 from? PS5 is 10.3

Caffeine

Just got no idea where you're getting that 9 from? PS5 is 10.3
the mark cerny gdc talk where he was explaining that the gpu is variable and that the max utilization is 10.28. you understand that not every piece of software pushes utilization of gpu to 100% constantly it would be a heating concern.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
And instead of mentioning this massive selling point, decided to basically say that not even most PS4 games would be playable on the PS5 at launch?

Except he DID make it kind of sound like that, but we now know almost every PS4 game will be playable. They just haven't manually played each one yet to confirm it, they just started testing from the most popular games.

So, you can't really put too much on Cerny. He's a technical genius, but not a PR genius.

SaucyJack

Go back to your discord group, that piece of FUD is well past its sell by date.

Caffeine

Go back to your discord group, that piece of FUD is well past its sell by date.
what discord group i'm just stating that it doesnt run at max utilization constantly, thats not even the topic of discussion, to get the ps1 emulator to run you could do it on under 2TF.

look at xbox capable of outputting 12TF at max utilization. it will output lower for heating constraints depending on the software usage.

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned
I'm very skeptical about this one, however a friend of mine who is originally from Turkey that I went to college with ensures me that Hepsiburada is a huge retailer there. A legitimate one, not one of the fake ones. With 2.9 million likes on Facebook they seem legitimate... Anyone speak Turkish or from Turkey on GAF can offer more thoughts?

This PlayStation 5 listing on their web site has the following paragraph.

Could be very unlikely but you never know. I originally picked this up on Reddit where other Turkish users have vouched for the retailer.

I think if Sony had a comparable backwards comparability plan they would have made it clear and wouldn't be so vague.

Tulipanzo

the mark cerny gdc talk where he was explaining that the gpu is variable and that the max utilization is 10.28. you understand that not every piece of software pushes utilization of gpu to 100% constantly it would be a heating concern.
Ofc I watched that video.

There Cerny said:
"We expect the GPU to spend most of it's time at or close to that frequency"
"To reduce power by 10% it only takes a couple % reduction in frequency, so I expect any downcloaking to be pretty minor"

So, no mention on 9TF anywhere in that talk 🤔

Caffeine

Ofc I watched that video.

There Cerny said:
"We expect the GPU to spend most of it's time at or close to that frequency"
"To reduce power by 10% it only takes a couple % reduction in frequency, so I expect any downcloaking to be pretty minor"

So, no mention on 9TF anywhere in that talk 🤔
it was just a baseline of teraflops I threw out dont take it so seriously i'm not undercutting the capability of the machine, so you are in understanding that at 100% it can hit 10.28 I wouldn't expect a ps1 emulator to require 100% utilization lol. downclocking occurs due to thermal throttling hes right. the utilization of the software is the angle I was throwing out.

ps5 is capable of 10.28.

fQVmkV4.jpg

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

it was just a baseline of teraflops I threw out dont take it so seriously i'm not undercutting the capability of the machine, so you are in understanding that at 100% it can hit 10.28 I wouldn't expect a ps1 emulator to require 100% utilization lol. downclocking occurs due to thermal throttling hes right. the utilization of the software is the angle I was throwing out.

ps5 is capable of 10.28.

fQVmkV4.jpg
Downclocking occurs in exotic use cases like 256-bit instructions rather than thermal throttling.
I took issue with 9 specifically because it's not mentioned anywhere in official PS5 specs or analysis, and only pops up in reference to some less than reputable articles.

Glad to hear you just threw a number out at random.

Last edited:
Top Bottom