• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Is More Powerful Than Xbox Scarlett, According To Devs

thelastword

Banned
"On the latest episode of his podcast, former IGN editor Colin Moriarty revealed that the PlayStation 5 is more powerful than the Xbox Scarlett, judging from reports of developers who have received the developer kits for both systems. While it’s true that the final specs of consoles are different from the ones seen in the dev kits, there’s a good chance that this report is right, as this isn’t the first time we heard that the Sony next-gen console is going to be the more powerful than Microsoft’s system."

https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-more-powerful-xbox-scarlett/

VAL0R

Banned
"On the latest episode of his podcast, former IGN editor Colin Moriarty revealed that the PlayStation 5 is more powerful than the Xbox Scarlett, judging from reports of developers who have received the developer kits for both systems. While it’s true that the final specs of consoles are different from the ones seen in the dev kits, there’s a good chance that this report is right, as this isn’t the first time we heard that the Sony next-gen console is going to be the more powerful than Microsoft’s system."

https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-more-powerful-xbox-scarlett/
So the Playstation 5 dev kit is more powerful than the Scarlett dev kit, confirmed.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Yes, but we've been hearing this one for quite a bit now, by devs as opposed to fanatics.....So there might be more credence there...

FranXico

We prefer rumors from trustworthy sources, such as MisterXmedia, Hellpoint Dev, 4chan, PasteBin or Pachters flawless intuition.

/s

Seriously though, not believing much from these either.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Stuart360

If you have a good memory, you will remember that almost all the rumours were that XB1 was more powerful than PS4, even right up to the day the actual specs were revealed. There were meltdown threads on here, in fact you can probably still find them in the closed threads section.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Oh JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered it doesn't lol

Even when both are out we'll still have console wars BS, even if the specs really are clearly better on one end (PS4 VS Xbone or PSPro VS XboneX)

Yep. As someone that’s been on gaming forums since the lead up to the N64 launch, fanboyism will sadly never die as long as their are separate platforms with exclusive software. So never.

If you have a good memory, you will remember that almost all the rumours were that XB1 was more powerful than PS4, even right up to the day the actual specs were revealed. There were meltdown threads on here, in fact you can probably still find them in the closed threads section.

Yup and I remember they wouldn't even mention that it was DDR3 memory. Hey, the TV's receiving a 1080p signal isn't it?!

Dabaus

Banned
Whats Baffeling to me is the lead architect of project scarlett left a few days ago to go the intel. The gaming media hasnt said a word about it. Imagine if mark cerny left ps5 development and then shortly after his departure we started getting word that the next xbox was more powerful. It would be nonstop news and headlines. Perhaps there is so much apathy and indifference for where xbox currently is that no one bothers to report on it because no actually cares?

With all that said, i dont need to hear it from developers or paste bins, the lead architect leaving tells me all i need to know.

Last edited:

FranXico

Whats Baffeling to me is the lead architect of project scarlett left a few days ago to go the intel. The gaming media hasnt said a word about it. Imagine if mark cerny left ps5 development and then shortly after his departure we started getting word that the next xbox was more powerful. It would be nonstop news and headlines. Perhaps there is so much apathy and indifference for where xbox currently is that no one bothers to report on it because no actually cares?

With all that said, i dont need to hear it from developers or paste bins, the lead architect leaving tells me all i need to know.
It probably doesn't mean much. His job on the NextBox is all but done by now, and Intel must have made a really good offer. I don't think there is much to it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Whats Baffeling to me is the lead architect of project scarlett left a few days ago to go the intel. The gaming media hasnt said a word about it. Imagine if mark cerny left ps5 development and then shortly after his departure we started getting word that the next xbox was more powerful. It would be nonstop news and headlines. Perhaps there is so much apathy and indifference for where xbox currently is that no one bothers to report on it because no actually cares? With all that said, i dont need to hear it from developers or paste bins, the lead architect leaving tells me all i need to know.

He was the lead architect behind both OG Xbox One and Xbox One X btw.

To be fair though, Jim Keller left AMD for Intel shortly before or after Zen was launched... and yet Zen 2 and Rome are kicking all sorts of ass (it is also true that brand new architectures like Zen come out once in a long long while and the roadmap and evolution seeds he planted will allow many kickass products before they have to design a fully new architecture).

Dabaus

Banned
It probably doesn't mean much. His job on the NextBox is all but done by now, and Intel must have made a really good offer. I don't think there is much to it.

I call bullshit. This thing is a year and half out. No way is he done, especially if they are playing a game of chicken to see which one reveals specs first so they can go back and revise to get the leg up on one another.

Last edited:
and that was a mere 5 months out from release, we're 18 months out...

BigLee74

Yes, but we've been hearing this one for quite a bit now, by devs as opposed to fanatics.....So there might be more credence there...
Only you, Mr Fanatical himself, have just posted it (and even in a new thread such is your narcissism).
So it now has no credibility.

So i take it that youve never actually been offered a better job with more $ before? Cause thats the only thing that could explain your boneheaded comment.

vpance

I call bullshit. This thing is a year and half out. No way is he done, especially if they are playing a game of chicken to see which one reveals specs first so they can go back and revise to get the leg up on one another.

He told his replacement which button to press that increases the GPU clock.

thelastword

Banned
If Cerny left Sony during PS5 development, there would be a million articles talking about doom and gloom for Sony already...We would hear more talks and derivations of XB2 being more powerful and PS5 only being an 8TF from Leadbetter et al….The industry is what it is, it likes to fuel what it likes to fuel and spearhead what it likes to spear head......

Just look at all the noise the internet made when Raja Koduri left AMD or when some of the CPU guys left AMD, it's the same thing here.......Just that, if the guy you want to protect or poster boy for has a mishap, you kill that noise or denoise, on the flip, if any one leaves on the other side or any other issue arises, you escalate and raise memes and pitchforks on forums, social media and through every tube as possible...…It is what it is.....

As it stands things are still early. MS can definitely react to such grapevine news....And yes, this is no guarantee that PS5 will be more powerful on final kit, but as it stands now, it's looking likely....Personally, I like this for one thing, is that devs on PS5 will aim even higher with their vision and go for broke...>From now to launch, I don't see PS5 getting weaker but stronger if anything.....Sony has been known to up specs and push the envelope closer to launch......

DanielsM

Banned
Agreed. What does the Windows Central dudes have to say today?

I call it Comedy Central for a reason. The best was about 4 years of the Windows Phone cycle, where that joke writer over there Jason would right article after article about the Windows Phone, and UWP, and Windows ARM, etc. All the real tech people would explain none of that was going to work and why, he just kept writing articles after articles.... probably still have articles coming out about the Windows Phone.

Than one day this guy is like, "Well, let me get this right, you think Microsoft is invested in Windows Phone, why is it that Satya just past me walking down the hall at Build and he had an iPhone." :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Some of the propaganda websites like Comedy Central are the worst because they're pushing stuff as facts which in reality is just the hope of their advertiser which gets people sucked in that know nothing about tech.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Lets get a timeline going for rumors, speculation, so called leaks, and conjecture. If im missing something please remind me. I probably have some sequence of events out of order.

-Summer of 2017 an insider on this very forum "Matt" claims PS5 "Will be a half step and release 2019."

-Some months before E3 2018 we get articles about how sony and AMD have partnered for Navi GPU.

-E3 2018, Microsoft out of the blue starts talking about next gen and claims they will Be the benchmark to beat, or something to that effect.

- Late December 2018/January 2019 so called insiders claim ps5 devkits have gone out.
Also around this time a linked in profile from Square enix mentions a PS5 title as well.

-Early 2019: Non stop, almost daily articles from forbes and windows central about "Microsft dominating next gen" articles.

-We get information from MS Propaganda pieces Brad Sams and klobrille that Xbox is planning a 2 pronged approach. A lower end weaker model called lockheart and more powerful one called Anaconda.

-Shortly after that, Reports that Navi has been delayed for some reason.

-April, The Mark Cerny Wired Interview. Vague details are given about ps5. It sounds alot better than i think most were expecting and relays fears about backwards compatibility, at least with ps4. MS so called insiders went on pure damage control mission claiming Anaconda will certainty be more powerful. It was also after this interview that all the articles about Xbox dominating next gen stopped coming out. "Wait for E3" Was the new Mantra.

-Albert Penello, former xbox suit expects ps5 will be around 8 terraflops in the next gen thread on Pedo era.

E3: 2019- Xbox Scarlett is briefly mentioned. More a retread of the ps5 wired artcle than a proper unveiling. No mention of lockheart and is somewhat implied to be a single console.

-Xbox scarlett architect leaves microsft for intel. Rumors start to trickle out that PS5 is more powerful according to devs. Rumors are currently swirling that lockheart may be cancelled.

My interpretation of it all: I believe sony did intend on launching in late 2019. Navi getting delayed messed up their plans but the technology was probably very much improved. Xbox, certian that sony would launch 2019 with an 8 terraflop console devised the 2 prong approach a rumored 4 terraflop lockheart, and a more expensive 10-12 terraflop anaconda.

Sony being a hardware first company and being involved with navis development made a better or more efficient chip than xbox did for anaconda. All the meanwhile dev kits for both systems start to come out and developers beging to compare. MS slowly walks back the lockheart because there would be no point to having 2 weaker console. I also belive they got feed back from developers not wanting to be contained to 4 terraflop hardware. There were also rumors that lockheart would be disc less as well. They probably got push back from retailers and threatened to mark up the deceive or in gamestops case not even carry it. All of this is my speculation of course.

Last edited:

Xiaoki

I'll wait to hear from Misterx, thanks
We already have

MS engineers have been working directly with AMD engineers on hardware ray tracing for 8 years which will give Project Scarlet an 8 teraflop advantage over PS5 and will also put Project Scarlet on par with 2021 PC GPUs.

And, well, if MisterXmedia said it then it MUST be true. He was right about the discrete GPU in Xbox One after all.

demigod

Lets get a timeline going for rumors, speculation, so called leaks, and conjecture. If im missing something please remind me. I probably have some sequence of events out of order.

-Summer of 2017 an insider on this very forum "Matt" claims PS5 "Will be a half step and release 2019."

-We get information from MS Propaganda pieces Brad Sams and klobrille that Xbox is planning a 2 pronged approach. A lower end weaker model called lockheart and more powerful one called Anaconda.

-April, The Mark Cerny Wired Interview. Vague details are given about ps5. It sounds alot better than i think most were expecting and relays fears about backwards compatibility, at least with ps4. MS so called insiders went on pure damage control mission claiming Anaconda will certainty be more powerful. It was also after this interview that all the articles about Xbox dominating next gen stopped coming out. "Wait for E3" Was the new Mantra.

-Albert Penello, former xbox suit expects ps5 will be around 8 terraflops in the next gen thread on Pedo era.

Did Matt say that? I don't remember.

You forgot to add hmqgg next to Klobrille and 8TF from DF next to Albert.

Dabaus

Banned
Did Matt say that? I don't remember.

You forgot to add hmqgg next to Klobrille and 8TF from DF next to Albert.

He did say it. Michael pachter claims PS5 will be a half step and release 2019, is the name of the thread, or something along those lines. Youll have to google it.

Top Bottom