• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 |LAUNCH OT| No limits

MrMephistoX

Pros: holy shit load times non existent in fighting games outside of an arcade!?

Cons: Also this...Round 1 stays on screen the entire match.

y4XPFes.jpg

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
So far, I have a quiet console, haven’t had any download glitches or crashes and the USB HDD thus far is just fine.

For now, I am avoiding rest mode. I only have PS5 version games on the SSD. Space sure does go quick when installing both Spidey games, CoD Cold War with Warzone/MP/campaign 1 2 & 3 (whatever that is),and Valhalla. Next ones are Cyberpunk, Hitman, Far Cry 6, and eventually MLB The Show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

THEAP99

Banned
I'm absolutely loving my ps5 god damn. No issues whatsoever so far for me.

I beat miles morales this evening and man what a great game. I'll certainly platinum it as well. I played a lot more astrobot and I'm trying to make it to the top of the leaderboards, such a great game. Thinking about buying sackboy, I still need to continue demon's souls.. so far so good!

One thing I've started making a lot more use of is the activity cards. It allows me to easily just transport to sections of games and get a quick trophy or two. I've also been utilizing the game help, it's fantastic. The UI needs more features and stuff but what it already is doing right now for me is just amazing.

I hope all games support it going forward here's an example

Also the dualsense, my god I got to the part in astrobot where I got the bow, and man the resistance with that is fucking amazing!! Jesus christ I can't wait to see what first party does with this. Horizon 2 should definitely make great use of it, tlou2 should get an update for it as well

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Platinumed Astrobot, got to Phalanx in Demon Souls and played an hour of Miles Morales.

+The controller is amazing. I'm really surprised how impressive the haptics are but it's a game changer. I'm also using it to drive my headphones which is something I couldn't do with the DS4/PS4 as I'd get intermittent drops in the audio.
+Thank God the system is quiet. It's easily my biggest complaint about the PS4.
+I'm sure the wow factor will wear off over time, but the load time are great.
-OS is in a very early beta state.

Also the dualsense, my god I got to the part in astrobot where I got the bow, and man the resistance with that is fucking amazing!! Jesus christ I can't wait to see what first party does with this. Horizon 2 should definitely make great use of it, tlou2 should get an update for it as well

The rain did it for me and then the gears in my head started turning. Imagine what you could do in a survival horror game with a sequence like this:

PleasedFlippantFairyfly-size_restricted.gif

And then add-in the 3D audio.

THEAP99

Banned
Platinumed Astrobot, got to Phalanx in Demon Souls and played an hour of Miles Morales.

+The controller is amazing. I'm really surprised how impressive the haptics are but it's a game changer. I'm also using it to drive my headphones which is something I couldn't do with the DS4/PS4 as I'd get intermittent drops in the audio.
+Thank God the system is quiet. It's easily my biggest complaint about the PS4.
+I'm sure the wow factor will wear off over time, but the load time are great.
-OS is in a very early beta state.

The rain did it for me and then the gears in my head started turning. Imagine what you could do in a survival horror game with a sequence like this:

PleasedFlippantFairyfly-size_restricted.gif

And then add-in the 3D audio.
God.. imagine a horror game where it's like a nightmare.. like sometimes in my bad dreams when I try to run it feels like I'm in quick sand and can't run fast at all, that would be sick to emulate in the dualsense. There's so much potential to tap into here.

Another thing I came across was when I was being the robot monkey, I pressed too hard on the trigger and a rock I was climbing up on had the grip break off since I pressed too dude. My god would that be so awesome for another uncharted game.

In tlou2 the game has a really complex breathing and heart beat simple, that would also be awesome in the dualsense feeling the heartbeats and it being harder to aim in when the heart rate it up

saintjules

I beat miles morales this evening and man what a great game. I'll certainly platinum it as well. I played a lot more astrobot and I'm trying to make it to the top of the leaderboards, such a great game. Thinking about buying sackboy, I still need to continue demon's souls.. so far so good!

One thing I've started making a lot more use of is the activity cards. It allows me to easily just transport to sections of games and get a quick trophy or two. I've also been utilizing the game help, it's fantastic. The UI needs more features and stuff but what it already is doing right now for me is just amazing.

That's cool and interesting. I kind of did use it, but didn't think much of it at first. I''ll try it again later to fully feel the feature. Maybe I didn't realize the card feature at length.

Just for people bear in mind that Xbox's quick resume is their own thing and I never expected Sony to do a similar feature. These games load super fast anyway and that should be more than enough to get started for now. I mean MM from cold boot to loading into the game is like, what, within 6 seconds? I'm very happy with the speed of both machines.

Last edited:

John2290

The lack of folders is driving nuts. No idea why Sony did away with the best thing about the janky PS4 UI.
It's exactly the same set backs as the PS4 over the PS3, you think they'd learn. The difference this time is there isn't as much to set back and there was no need for it to be set back, they had the blueprint, they had the list of features they knew were called out for at the start of the ps4 launch. How long was it before we finally got folders and expandable storage on the ps4, 1 -2 years of firware? Fuck that shit again.

Edit: It was near three years for these firmware updates. Fuck me.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Thursday can’t come soon enough for us Europeans. Hearing the small issues people are having is unfortunate but not unheard of. My PS4 had to be repaired as it just stopped outputting audio to the TV via HDMI. Worked via headphones but needed fixed. Was away for a week or two but got it back under warranty. I just hope they patch these issues soon as it sounds sporadic. Hopefully I have no issues come Thursday so I can jump straight in to Demons Souls. Going to leave my SSD unplugged for a while until “stability” updates are applied 😂

Sleepwalker

I play a lot of FIFA and the DS4 made my hands cramp and ache after long sessions, that's why I mainly played it on Xbox. Yesterday I played about 3 hours with the dualsense and my hands were in perfect shape, I don't know about all the new features, don't care too much really. But from an ergonomic POV, Sony finally knocked it out of the park. I love the controller.

John2290

Remove dildo concept and replace with plastic explosives. Fixed.

Don’t think about what others say. Lol. I’ve got a Lego room in our 1 bedroom condo.
Oh come on, it's a joke. Does it really not come across as a joke? I knew text on the internet is difficult to convey sarcasm... but jokes, come one man. Laugh at yourself for once, you'll feel better.

Can I place my PS5 on the floor during storage/use? I can't see why not, but I've heard conflicting reports re dust, etc, but realistically its going to be better for it then trying to shove it in the entertainment cabinet (Its solid wood, so I can't even easily take the back out).

Floor is Laminated, not Carpet. It will see between the fireplace (not used) and the cabinet itself. Be about 6" of free air space behind.

saintjules

So I tried this on Miles Morales. While it worked fine, I noticed that my controller settings went back to default. It must be something that will be fixed I'm sure. Haven't tried on other games yet.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Can I place my PS5 on the floor during storage/use? I can't see why not, but I've heard conflicting reports re dust, etc, but realistically its going to be better for it then trying to shove it in the entertainment cabinet (Its solid wood, so I can't even easily take the back out).

Floor is Laminated, not Carpet. It will see between the fireplace (not used) and the cabinet itself. Be about 6" of free air space behind.
20201115_120842.jpg

Should be fine.

THEAP99

Banned
So I tried this on Miles Morales. While it worked fine, I noticed that my controller settings went back to default. It must be something that will be fixed I'm sure. Haven't tried on other games yet.
Even from cold boot everything goes back to default for me in miles morales. It's annoying. Not related to game hub I don't think

So jelly of you all. I'm glad your enjoying the console.

Meanwhile I've been playing games on my PC with the DualSense. It's do much better than the XB1 controller that I was using. Shame about the button prompts but Vanquish is incredible with the DualSense.

Isa

Its an amazing system for sure. The controller and S.S.D.(love the song) are incredible! The controller may be my favorite part about it, truly next gen man. Maybe I'm just oldschool as I love platformers something fierce, but Astro's Playroom is absolutely superb. Asobi Team are excellent at what they do, I really hope that Sony props the up even more. All the classic references are total fanservice and I love it! Apart from the issue I experienced, its been a great launch for PS5, quality games I get up early and stay up late playing like I'm a kid again.

Moogle11

Banned
Still waiting on my Costco bundle to ship. Have a copy of Demon’s Soul’s taunting me and controller charger dock has shipped as well.

nyr88nyg

Banned
Just realized my Samsung q70r is not turning to game mode automatically like it did with my PS4 pro. Anyone else have this issue?

saintjules

Nice, I bought a C9 for my PS5 and it's just sitting, waiting till Thursday.....

It's great to hear it makes a difference.

Tremendously so! I'm sure the C9 default settings will be fine as is out of the box, but definitely calibrate the settings properly if/when you can.

The visual fidelity mode is awesome and blew me away in the final bits of the game. Performance mode is great too, but you do lose a lot of the shiny features from fidelity.

Last edited:
Oh boy.

Oh boy.

I only had 20 minutes to play around in Astro, but...

Oh boy.

That gamepad! I spent 5 minutes in that Gyro screen, playing with marbles. I expected a lot, but not that it's this good. I could literally tell where the marbles are by the sound from the gamepad and the very good rumble. Compared to the Nintendo JoyCons and their weird "you can count how many ice cubes are in the glass" bullshit, this actually works.

The digi pad is trash, though, I can't believe that this is built upon the trusted design Sony has been using since the 90s. It's sounds like as if there's a soaked sponge under it. It also feels kinda mushy, but as someone who has favored the Xbox gamepads since the 360, I've gotta say that Sony has finally a great gamepad as well. Feels great in the hands.

Anyway, I seem to have lucked out in terms of coil whine. I have very slight coil whine, it's pretty much inaudible when you're a meter away (I can hear my PS4 Pro's coil whine across the room), but I have only tested Astro so far, it may get worse in more demanding games.

This weekend is going to be a blast.

Everytime I turn it on im impressed by something. Last night it was this. Ive been playing that sackboy game and I have done a bunch of levels. Last night I'm playing Dirt 5 and get a notification saying a dude on my friends list had completed a challenge a few seconds faster than me. One of the options says "Play" so I hit that and in a few seconds I've left Dirt 5 and I'm in Sackboy RIGHT AT THE SPOT WITH THE CHALLENGE.

I complete the challenge (beat him by two seconds), I go to "Game Switcher" and switch back to Dirt 5, a few seconds later I'm right back where I left. Wild stuff.

Top Bottom