• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 May Not Be Be Using AMD Hardware For Ray Tracing – Rumor

The PlayStation 5, like the Xbox One Series X, will be powered by AMD's technology, but it seems like the hardware solution for ray tracing will not be coming from the company, according to a recent leak.

Komachi Ensaka, a well-known leaker, recently posted some new findings for chips codenamed Sparkman, Arden, Oberon, and Ariel. The first two are rumored to be related to the Xbox Series X, while the latter are rumored to be related to the PlayStation 5, as reported a while back.
The new findings are very interesting as Sparkman and Arden have ray tracing and variable rate shading mentioned, while Oberon and Ariel don't. If they are indeed related to the PlayStation 5 console, this means that Sony will not be using AMD technology for ray tracing and variable rate shading.

I can confirm @KOMACHI_ENSAKA's findings there.
As far as that source goes, both Sparkman & Arden have RT & VRS mentioned, Oberon & Ariel don't
— _rogame (@_rogame) December 27, 2019

Both the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X have yet to be revealed in full, but it is being rumored that they are very close in power. In a recent report, it's revealed that Sony's next-gen console is ahead in terms of performance, but the gap is expected to be closed before release.

Right now, game performance is better on PS5. I believe that is probably because PS5 development hardware and software are in a more advanced state. I fully expect Scarlett to close that gap once they ship more mature dev kits and software.
It must be said, since software, not hardware, is a traditional Microsoft area of expertise, it's very possible that they could ultimately deliver more advanced DirectX development software, in the end, allowing games to run better on Scarlett even if the hardware is less capable.

Ascend

Having another separate chip specifically for ray tracing doesn't seem efficient at all. So... If it's not hardware, it will most likely be done in software, which, has already been proven to be possible.

• PlayStation 5 supports ray-tracing. This is not a software-level fix. “There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware,” system architect Mark Cerny said, “which I believe is the statement that people were looking for.”
  • Physical games will use 100 gigabyte optical discs, which are inserted into an optical drive that doubles as a 4K Blu-ray player.
  • Game installation is mandatory, but is a bit different than game installation on PlayStation 4. Installation and removal is a more configurable process. “Rather than treating games like a big block of data,” Cerny said, “we’re allowing finer-grained access to the data.” For example, you may be able to install just a game’s multiplayer campaign, and leave the single-player campaign for later. Or install the whole thing and delete the single-player campaign when you have finished.
  • The user interface has been completely revamped. “Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don’t want the player to have to boot the game, see what’s up, boot the game, see what’s up,” Cerny said. “Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like.”
  • The PlayStation 5 controller looks like the DualShock 4, but has a little hole in it, which Cerny said will be discussed at a later time. One of its new features is the “adaptive triggers,” which offer varying levels of resistance, which can make shooting a bow feel authentic in that the tension increases as you pull the arrow back, or make a machine gun feel different from shooting a shotgun. It also has haptic feedback “far more capable” than the current rumble motors, with highly programmable voice-coil actuators located in the left and right grips of the controller.
  • Sony demonstrated the controller features with demos of Astro Bot: Rescue Mission and Gran Turismo Sport.
    • Astro Bot: Rescue Mission – “I ran a character through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, all of which gave distinct—and surprisingly immersive—tactile experiences. Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumb sticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation.”
    • Gran Turismo Sport – “Driving on the border between the track and the dirt, I could feel both surfaces. Doing the same thing on the same track using a DualShock 4 on a PS4, that sensation disappeared entirely. It wasn’t that the old style rumble feedback paled in comparison, it was that there was no feedback at all. User tests found that rumble feedback was too tiring to use continuously, so the released version of Gran Turismo Sport simply didn’t use it.”
  • The PlayStation 5 controller uses a USB Type-C connector for charging and has a larger-capacity battery. While a bit heavier than the DualShock 4, it will still be a bit lighter than the current Xbox controller “with batteries in it.”
  • A number of studios already have PlayStation 5 development kits, and the controller prototypes began rolling out more recently.
  • Shadow of the Colossus developer Bluepoint Games is working on a PlayStation 5 title. “We’re working on a big one right now,” said Bluepoint Games president Marco Thrush. “I’ll let you figure out the rest.” He added, “The SSD has me really excited. You don’t need to do gameplay hacks anymore to artificially slow players down—lock them behind doors, anything like that. Back in the cartridge days, games used to load instantly; we’re kind of going back to what consoles used to be.”

Mista

Banned

carsar

It's very strange, because VRS is not a miracle or some heavy hardware component. VRS is just a feature, there are no problems to implement VRS with navi gpu.

Their whe go again...but but an insider knows better that the main architect of the PS5. Mark Cerny can say that the PS5 uses AMD hardware RT...but where smoke is is also fire....
I know that a lot of people here wish that the XboXSeriesX will be significant stronger and grabbing every "rumor" to feel good...
Pathatic🙄

ZywyPL

Banned
I cant wait until these consoles are fully revealed. :messenger_savoring:

I cannot wait for the mass meltdown as well, I already know what I'll say once it happens - "next-gen consoles arent't 2000$ PCs sold for 500$?!? SHOCKING NEWS! Un-fucking-believable, what is Sony/MS thinking after all those UNOFFICIAL and UNCONFIRMED rumors from RANDOM people from the internet!?"

LMFAO, I already have a great time with all those kids and their pathetic console wars, especially the panic surrounding the TF numbers, so good xD

MHubert

I highly doubt that this is going to be the case, since Sony already announced that the PS5 is going to have hardware level ray-tracing - but who knows... Maybe a proprietary solution?

Last edited:

Elios83

LOL when people are going to stop posting and taking for granted whatever bullshit appears on twitter/pastebin?
I also love the total lack of logic behind this.
PS5 is already confirmed to have hw RT in the GPU.
If this leaker states that in this chip there is no hw RT the immediate consequence should be that this chip does not represent what's inside PS5.
But instead of this logic conclusion some people assume everything they read is true and make up weird theories to make up for the incongruences like no AMD raytracing.... oh god LOL again.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think SONY might change graphics cards or hardware components between now and release, and I like that, I don't know if you invest 10000% into a company or a part, I believe the answer to SONY's problems will always be AAA production.

Ascend

Or thought the AMD hybrid solution was shit and went with their own custon solution instead. He never said anything about using the AMD solution
I doubt they want to create another development disaster by being 'different', like what happened with the PS3 and the Cell.

Shin

Banned

I'm liking the talks of 12TF and shit from potentially both sides, for the rest I don't really care who's e-peen is bigger than the other.
The upcoming generation is already more exciting to me than the current from a technical point of view.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
Having another separate chip specifically for ray tracing doesn't seem efficient at all. So... If it's not hardware, it will most likely be done in software, which, has already been proven to be possible.

Possible, but not as efficient.

This is the best time for rumours. Look back on the previous gens about the bullshit that was thrown around and how much of it turned out to be true!

Remember the Durango leaks from 2011/2012? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

The Alien

Banned
Got it.

So a year before launch, Microsoft wins this week. Sony'll win next week. Then we repeat.

....until an actual reveal in Feb (Sony) and March (Xbox).

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I cannot wait for the mass meltdown as well, I already know what I'll say once it happens - "next-gen consoles arent't 2000$ PCs sold for 500$?!? SHOCKING NEWS! Un-fucking-believable, what is Sony/MS thinking after all those UNOFFICIAL and UNCONFIRMED rumors from RANDOM people from the internet!?"

LMFAO, I already have a great time with all those kids and their pathetic console wars, especially the panic surrounding the TF numbers, so good xD

Last week some random unverified people were saying PS5 would have 13-14 TFs and the Xbox fanboys were in panic/battle mode. This week some other random unverified person claims PS5 will be 8-10 TFs and the PS fanboys are in panic/battle mode.

Can't wait to see the which team the next unverified random leaker sends into a total freak out. I don't understand 90% of the tech jargon in the speculation thread but it's super entertaining to watch the reactions.

Top Bottom