• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 May Not Be Be Using AMD Hardware For Ray Tracing – Rumor

Wouldn't Cell be the ideal candidate for raytracing?
It would have to be developed much more. From my understanding the PS3 was originally designed with the idea that the cell could use a second cell as its GPU, however that turned out to be a problem (either it wasn't as powerful as planned, or the cost/benefit calculation made no sense).

Also, the 360 turned out pretty nice, so it may have forced Sony into making some last minute changes...

Anyway, if you were alluding that the CELL architecture was to make a comeback as a Ray tracing minster to save the day, I think that this is very unlikely, as one of the creasons cited by Cerny not to use it in yhe PS4 was the lack of R&D on the Power and CELL (they would need to finance the whole thing).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh boy I have the fraternity after me now..lol

XxeQxO9.jpg

Glad you can laugh at yourself. I was asking a simple question you people are waaayyyy to defensive. Like it's only videos games. You should be able to have mature convos without it spiraling into low level one liners. I expect too much I guess.
I still don't know what console are you talking about? Xbox is a service now.

they definitely spoke about raytracing audio.

i am gonna laugh so fucking hard if that's all the PS5 gets. everyone will be like "who needs an RTX gpu? the ps5 can do raytracing!!!!" and then they realise it's raytracing audio. :messenger_neutral:

Nah, Cerny spoke on it having sound applications, but it's not all he was talking about.

"Ray tracing’s immediate benefits are largely visual. Because it mimics the way light bounces from object to object in a scene, reflective surfaces and refractions through glass or liquid can be rendered much more accurately, even in real-time, leading to heightened realism. According to Cerny, the applications go beyond graphic implications. “If you wanted to run tests to see if the player can hear certain audio sources or if the enemies can hear the players’ footsteps, ray tracing is useful for that,” he says. “It's all the same thing as taking a ray through the environment.”

He also confirmed it's hardware-accelerated so I have no idea why these people are going on about this unless they mean to imply he's lying about using an AMD GPU or they mean the Ray Tracing tech is proprietary and not what AMD uses.

That and I can't believe the bullshit the devs are saying with "8k." My standalone 2080Ti can't even do 4K/60 on Ultra for high demanding games let alone 8K on that tiny console. Really hate this BS advertising. Maybe it's "Playable" on an 8K TV due to the port, bout all the 8K this thing is going to do. I doubt it can still do true 4k/60 TBH.
I'm reasonably certain they were actually referring to 8K output, not necessarily 8K gaming, and certainly not natively. Hard to say though, as the Wired article mentioned that as an aside and opted not to give an actual quote on that.

I can't see RT not being on PS5. I think it will be a similar solution to the Xbox.
VRS I can see not being of PS5, but RT will be.

Hopefully each company takes their own approach to RT and software, which will differentiate the consoles.

I like it when the manufacturers have powerful consoles with their own tweaks and personalities. It makes for an interesting gen

Pallas

So now its not the Xbox next but the PS5 that has it?

What do you mean? That article mentioned nothing about the next Xbox not having it and it’s a slightly old article. Pretty sure someone posted it on here, I remember reading it a while back.

iHaunter

But it's not the devs fault you don't want to play in 30FPS, and/or downgrade the settings to Medium... Besides, if X1X already does 4K60 in some of the games, then a 4-5x more powerful console will easily handle games like Minecraft, Fortnite, Fifa etc. in 8K.

I have no idea what this is implying, are you apologizing on behalf of the devs? 60 FPS is far more important than graphics. I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or a shitty dev apologist.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Their whe go again...but but an insider knows better that the main architect of the PS5. Mark Cerny can say that the PS5 uses AMD hardware RT...but where smoke is is also fire....
I know that a lot of people here wish that the XboXSeriesX will be significant stronger and grabbing every "rumor" to feel good...
Pathatic🙄
HOLY SHIT!!

Im sorry bro. But it's "There we go again" . Not, "Their whe go again" You were so off on the "There, Their and They're" I had to say something as this shit physically hurt me to read. Fuck, that hurt!

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Karak

What do you mean? That article mentioned nothing about the next Xbox not having it and it’s a slightly old article. Pretty sure someone posted it on here, I remember reading it a while back.
Whoops must have posted the wrong story lol. Was posting the other leak from months ago where supposedly the xbox had custom hardware for this.

Derktron

Banned
they definitely spoke about raytracing audio.

i am gonna laugh so fucking hard if that's all the PS5 gets. everyone will be like "who needs an RTX gpu? the ps5 can do raytracing!!!!" and then they realise it's raytracing audio. :messenger_neutral:
That’s what I’m saying, I could’ve sworn that the only Ray Tracing it would have is for the Audio and I also heard it for Xbox but I haven’t too much on it.

thelastword

Banned
Thanks I prefer I'llPass.
Hey, they are lucky because after my 2$ gamepass ultimate, which I got for Gears, I have not bothered to cancel and they've been charging me $14.99, crazy thing is, I have not played anything on gamepass after Gears...….Thought I would be interested in outerworlds, but I'm not really motivated to play it......

Wouldn't Cell be the ideal candidate for raytracing?
Absolutely, Cell would be a beast co processor for raytracing...….Cell to help with PS3 BC and when running PS5 code it will be a dedicated chip for RT......My suggestion in other threads, would be great to see...

That and I can't believe the bullshit the devs are saying with "8k." My standalone 2080Ti can't even do 4K/60 on Ultra for high demanding games let alone 8K on that tiny console. Really hate this BS advertising. Maybe it's "Playable" on an 8K TV due to the port, bout all the 8K this thing is going to do. I doubt it can still do true 4k/60 TBH.
8k does not affect you, there will be 8k TV's in 2020......Sony will have 8k TV's to sell as well...…..There will be 8k support on games and 8k native games.....If you don't have an 8k TV, you will get supersampling….The guy who has an 8k TV will play his indies and AA games at 8k native.....I'm sure there will be options as well, 4k higher fps vs 8k lower settings or lower fps in some games...….Choices and options wins...……...
I can't see RT not being on PS5. I think it will be a similar solution to the Xbox.
VRS I can see not being of PS5, but RT will be.
Hardware RT will be on both...…..VRS will be supported on all hardware in 2020, even on intel's XE GPU's...…..It's just a feature that developers will choose to use or not...... and it will be part of the PS5 SDK......
The author of PS5 hardware doesnt know his creation.

That is How retard this leak sounds

Hey, Sony on RDNA 1 vs XBOX on RDNA 2 is the most bollocks I've heard this entire year.......You remember when people were saying PS5 will be on Ryzen 1 and XBOX on Ryzen 2? It's the same BS, from the same BS'ers....

Hell, some people are even implying that Cerny may have lied to support their 9TF malarkey or how specific he was or may have not been on RT..When it was clear he said, there would be hardware RT.......Do you remember who were so concerned that PS5 didn't have hardware RT after the Wired interview? They made threads way back then saying PS will only have non-hardware accelerated RT, these are the same persons just making the rounds again.....They just want to push that XBOX will have a better hardware solution all round......Does that type of FUD work? NO, because when the specs are revealed, it will just push more people away from MS for all their BS'ing.....

Anyway, check this out...….RedGamingTech's reporting on the 9TF bit is hilarious, I listen to him quite a bit and I have no issues with VFXVeteran, but RGT says that VFX works for Naughty Dog and he would know the specs for PS5, lol...…..Didn't know we had an ND employee on this here forums......Tell us more VFX......Just funny that the pic that he used to prove VFX's verification is one where he was banned at Resetera.....

DjNQa1E.png

So VFX says PS5 will be 9TF, basically GTX 1080 performance.......Ha ha, what says you GAF????

iHaunter

Hey, they are lucky because after my 2$ gamepass ultimate, which I got for Gears, I have not bothered to cancel and they've been charging me $14.99, crazy thing is, I have not played anything on gamepass after Gears...….Thought I would be interested in outerworlds, but I'm not really motivated to play it......

Absolutely, Cell would be a beast co processor for raytracing...….Cell to help with PS3 BC and when running PS5 code it will be a dedicated chip for RT......My suggestion in other threads, would be great to see...

8k does not affect you, there will be 8k TV's in 2020......Sony will have 8k TV's to sell as well...…..There will be 8k support on games and 8k native games.....If you don't have an 8k TV, you will get supersampling….The guy who has an 8k TV will play his indies and AA games at 8k native.....I'm sure there will be options as well, 4k higher fps vs 8k lower settings or lower fps in some games...….Choices and options wins...……...

Hardware RT will be on both...…..VRS will be supported on all hardware in 2020, even on intel's XE GPU's...…..It's just a feature that developers will choose to use or not...... and it will be part of the PS5 SDK......

Hey, Sony on RDNA 1 vs XBOX on RDNA 2 is the most bollocks I've heard this entire year.......You remember when people were saying PS5 will be on Ryzen 1 and XBOX on Ryzen 2? It's the same BS, from the same BS'ers....

Hell, some people are even implying that Cerny may have lied to support their 9TF malarkey or how specific he was or may have not been on RT..When it was clear he said, there would be hardware RT.......Do you remember who were so concerned that PS5 didn't have hardware RT after the Wired interview? They made threads way back then saying PS will only have non-hardware accelerated RT, these are the same persons just making the rounds again.....They just want to push that XBOX will have a better hardware solution all round......Does that type of FUD work? NO, because when the specs are revealed, it will just push more people away from MS for all their BS'ing.....

Anyway, check this out...….RedGamingTech's reporting on the 9TF bit is hilarious, I listen to him quite a bit and I have no issues with VFXVeteran, but RGT says that VFX works for Naughty Dog and he would know the specs for PS5, lol...…..Didn't know we had an ND employee on this here forums......Tell us more VFX......Just funny that the pic that he used to prove VFX's verification is one where he was banned at Resetera.....

DjNQa1E.png

So VFX says PS5 will be 9TF, basically GTX 1080 performance.......Ha ha, what says you GAF????

There's 8K TVs now.

I think whatever the outcome is for ray tracing on these consoles, I wouldn’t expect anything amazing. They aren’t going to be matching the high end NVidia stuff.

VFXVeteran

Banned
You’re confused, shaders are run via software, hardware accelerated Ray Tracing requires, wait for it.... hardware

That's not true.

Shaders are ran in hardware. The hardware pipeline goes from vertex shading (you define the vertex data and pass it to the hardware) to the rasterization phase to call the pixel shaders (hardware). You can't write shader code in C++. It has to be done in a language that accesses the hardware like HLSL or GLSL which then gets compiled to run on the GPU. The acronym 4096 "shader units" are actual hardware units that shader code gets executed on to fill the triangle.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

DjNQa1E.png

I will not know you mentioned me unless you use the "@" sign in front of my username. I just happened to stumble on this thread.

Anyway, I do not work for ND. I can say I have worked with several people from the film industry that are now in the gaming industry. So whether I know someone at ND, Blizzard, GG, etc.. is left up to your imagination.

My sources told me a long time ago about the PS5 GPU performance (between 1080 and 1080Ti). So I'm certain it will fall somewhere between that range.

Last edited:
I will not know you mentioned me unless you use the "@" sign in front of my username. I just happened to stumble on this thread.

Anyway, I do not work for ND. I can say I have worked with several people from the film industry that are now in the gaming industry. So whether I know someone at ND, Blizzard, GG, etc.. is left up to your imagination.

My sources told me a long time ago about the PS5 GPU performance (between 1080 and 1080Ti). So I'm certain it will fall somewhere between that range.
Any idea what's going on with the Xbox side, is there credence to the 12 Teraflop's floating around?

VFXVeteran

Banned
Any idea what's going on with the Xbox side, is there credence to the 12 Teraflop's floating around?

I haven't really been interested in the Xbox hardware since the PC will get all of Xbox's exclusives. I could pry but it's not worth it. I think you guys should be more interested in the games (and how they will utililize the hardware) instead of a TF number. Realworld benchmarks are going to force you to ignore the TF number and look at actual fidelity and FPS just like today.

Bergoglio

ok but many months have passed.

Bergoglio

I haven't really been interested in the Xbox hardware since the PC will get all of Xbox's exclusives. I could pry but it's not worth it. I think you guys should be more interested in the games (and how they will utililize the hardware) instead of a TF number. Realworld benchmarks are going to force you to ignore the TF number and look at actual fidelity and FPS just like today.
You could do that for The community and for fun. It would be greatly appreciated, but, its up to you man. Thanks.

It could be possible AMD's RT tech wasn't going to be design ready in time and went with PowerVR RT tech. Which would explain why MS shipped their dev kits later in the year compared to Sony.

VFXVeteran

Banned
And yet you have very strong opinions on how the hardware will turn out to be?

Having very strong opinions don't make me a news anchor. Stating specifics and finding charts, diagrams, and he-said she-said in meetings at company X is. Not doing that.

longdi

Banned
Well, it turns out the PS5 will have hardware raytracing, as shown at CES.

It's much better to wait for official word before getting all worked up about internet rumors.
That's what im suspicious about now.

They should have shown something like next gen architecture with RT.

Now it sounds like old navi with tacked on RT, that may or may not be part of Amd rdna2 architecture.

Ps5 looking like a mess.

Almost as if Sony planned to launch in 2019 with weak hardware but decided to postpone to 2020 with more upscaled performance .

-kb-

Now it sounds like old navi with tacked on RT, that may or may not be part of Amd rdna2 architecture.

Ps5 looking like a mess.

Almost as if Sony planned to launch in 2019 with weak hardware but decided to postpone to 2020 with more upscaled performance .

to be fair from the AMD conference it’s starting to look like they are both RDNA1 with some RDNA2 features tacked on.

ethomaz

Banned

Ps5 looking like a mess.

Actually Sony showed a game using Ray-tracing that is more than the competition did about RT.

Last edited:
If you’re a PS fan, you should want Xbox to kickass and vice versa. Competition is great. In general, it pushes companies to innovate, be competitive on pricing and be more pro consumer. When there isn’t any competition you get expensive cable tv offered through a crap cable tv box with shit customer service - see Comcast.

So while you might want your system to have the best price or be the most powerful, you should also be rooting for the other system to do well in the market. It’s in your best interest.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you’re a PS fan, you should want Xbox to kickass and vice versa. Competition is great. In general, it pushes companies to innovate, be competitive on pricing and be more pro consumer. When there isn’t any competition you get expensive cable tv offered through a crap cable tv box with shit customer service - see Comcast.

So while you might want your system to have the best price or be the most powerful, you should also be rooting for the other system to do well in the market. It’s in your best interest.

Competition is also about the best product winning, it is about equality of opportunity not outcomes, what happened to PlayStation after PS2 forced them to claw their way out of the problems they were in, PS4 was rewarded for the vision and execution. I would argue this generation was a result of a competitive landscape.

Still, it is true that a string of bad products can sink a manufacturers and leave no competition, but I would argue that the industry in that sector is healthy and that is the scenario that attracts new competitors. Having the opposite, that no matter what nobody really really wins and nobody really really loses only works if companies are similarly sized, else it will end up with the bigger shark eating the others and their lunch.

The recent Nvidia presentation suggested their RTX graphics card would be more powerful than next generation console. Console the word singular and not consoles. Yesterday a GPU architect from Nividia visited PlayStation HQ. Was it ever officially confirmed that PS5 will be powered by AMD GPU?

Imtjnotu

The recent Nvidia presentation suggested their RTX graphics card would be more powerful than next generation console. Console the word singular and not consoles. Yesterday a GPU architect from Nividia visited PlayStation HQ. Was it ever officially confirmed that PS5 will be powered by AMD GPU?
Wait what
Where did yiu read about this meet up at?

Top Bottom