• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 more powerful than Xbox Scarlet, according to Game Informer editor

DryvBy

This should be very interesting.

aWkt0i4.jpg

The source is here. If Sony pulls this off without letting MS know the actual specs, keeps it cheap and manages to do a summer of Fall, that's going to be some good meltdown.

I’ve heard so much I don’t remember what I’ve heard. Or at least I’m unsure if I did hear something.

I think I heard there will be 2 Xbox consoles. Is Scarlet the more powerful one?

Man I can’t get over that Devolver thing

I think the PS5 will be more powerful. For one reason only - focus.

Microsoft are talking about xcloud and making your console a streaming device, I believe they have created a powerful, yet versatile console.

Sony won't have xcloud or streaming above and beyond remote play (IMO) so they can create a more focused console.

kyoji

what if sony stealth drop ps5 along with ff vii remake in march..

2020... o_o i know its not possible but imagine at psx they run a new trailer for ff vii remake and at the end the releaee date flashes up, ps4 logo fades in. a brief pause then ps5 logo appears next to it. MELTDOWNS occur. ijs.

kyoji

i just realised im in the wrong thread ffs 😤. Can a mod please move my other post to the ffvii trailer thread.

quest

Not Banned from OT
this has to be like the 10th different "more powerful than" rumor ive read at this point. i assume the next one will be xbox again, and the one after that will be dreamcast 2 > all

They very well could be swapping the lead. Both console are probably identical outside clockspeed. One ups the clock they take a small lead. These machines will be very similar any win will be sleight.

So which devs have you heard the next xbox is more powerful from?
I mean, I get it, I don't think the executive editor of Game Informer would spread shit rumors considering that magazine is basically the Nintendo Power of all videogames and would never piss any company off or take sides. But expect this rumor to go back and forth a billion times until both consoles specs are out there.

SonGoku

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED DirectX, the standard APIs that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think MS doesn't know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way they are giving up the performance crown to Sony.

I get a ton of hate for saying this but its been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on MS systems looked the same or better.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED DirectX, the standard APIs that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think they dont know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way they are giving up the performance crown to Sony.

I get a ton of hate for saying this but its been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on MS systems looked the same or better.

It could go either way.
Both PS2 and PS3 released a year or so before the Xbox counterpart so Xbox being more powerful should’ve been a given.

Releasing at the same time however and both using AMD should make them pretty much even more or less.

If they are a little better then I still give it to microsoft next gen with lockheart and anaconda plus x cloud. Iv seen lots of other peole say anaconda beats ps5. I think it was a few weeks ago they were talking about that

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It might be a small advantage for Sony (if true) amongst the tiny percentage of gamers that care or frequent games forums like this, but for a broader audience, this is no longer of interest in my opinion. Games, games, games.

Moneal

It could go either way.
Both PS2 and PS3 released a year or so before the Xbox counterpart so Xbox being more powerful should’ve been a given.

Releasing at the same time however and both using AMD should make them pretty much even more or less.
pretty sure that is word for word the post by Albert Penello who was the Lead Marketing guy for MS before PS4 and Xbox One came out. Also pretty sure he had to own up to being wrong after many games came out that proved him wrong.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED DirectX, the standard APIs that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think they dont know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way they are giving up the performance crown to Sony.

You do realize the power thing doesn’t matter, right? Also, you DO realize that MS isn’t the only ones with great programmers/HW engineers, right? Like someone said, those consoles came out later than their PS counterparts, of course it’s going to be more powerful. X1 is more powerful than Pro, but it’s also $100 more, so it has a $100 more tech in there.

It’s not like it matters, but Phil and the ppl in that video were very careful with the words they chose to use they said “more powerful console” not “the most powerful console” like they did with the X1. But who cares really?

DryvBy

It might be a small advantage for Sony (if true) amongst the tiny percentage of gamers that care or frequent games forums like this, but for a broader audience, this is no longer of interest in my opinion. Games, games, games.

I mean, Sony has that down too. So they just get a double win if this is true.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't chose consoles based on power, I choose based games. PS2 was a fantastic consoles because it had games even tho it was weakest consoles compare to original Xbox and Gamecube. So far MS did nothing sell me on their next system, you claim to have "the most powerful console" but it means nothing to me if it doesn't have the games I care about.

Last edited:

Pallas

Man if either one is more powerful then I doubt it would be that huge of a difference.

Also I guess we can finally shut down those silly “Navi is exclusive to PS5” rumors now?

jakinov

They have programmers in a specific division that are good at writing graphics APIs to be consumed by other developers. But just because they are good at making graphics API doesn't mean they have new innovative ideas in computer/hardware engineering or can legally figure out what the competitor is doing. I don't think Sony Interactive Entertainment (PlayStation division) is particular great at hardware. I think Microsoft probably has better hardware engineers because of their Surface efforts and new unified engineering team. But it takes one person to have a unique/clever idea and to contract third-parties or leverage internal teams to explore the viability. Bad initial decisions or possibly over looking things can also lock these companies fates.

Also, I don't think Sony advantage was ever that they had great hardware. I think it's that Sony has great computer scientists and developers who really understood actual game development at a low-level. Sony has a dedicated team in the Naughty Dog studio (physically; and in California one of the most desirable states to live in and near tech hot spots) that I recall (from magazine scans during PS3 days) were described as brilliant hardcore computer scientists who were really into the low-level nitty gritty details who are solely responsible for essentially helping developers take advantage of PlayStation hardware. All the developers making PS4 exclusives thank Naughty Dog at one point for helping them make their games look significantly better internal or external (e.g. Kojima, Insomniac).

Until the PS4; I would argue they had some pretty bad hardware and software people.

I agree that they don't want to give the crown to Sony but if they can't afford or they can get to a point where it''s too late to make drastic changes so they might end up losing. We can't say for sure what will happen. Sony for all we know could have came up with a unique hardware design that gives them a performance advantage. AMD said something about Sony having "secret sauce".

Moneal

You do realize the power thing doesn’t matter, right? Also, you DO realize that MS isn’t the only ones with great programmers/HW engineers, right? Like someone said, those consoles came out later than their PS counterparts, of course it’s going to be more powerful. X1 is more powerful than Pro, but it’s also $100 more, so it has a $100 more tech in there.

It’s not like it matters, but Phil and the ppl in that video were very careful with the words they chose to use they said “more powerful console” not “the most powerful console” like they did with the X1. But who cares really?

You do realize that was a parody post right? Ill quote myself from earlier in the thread to explain.

pretty sure that is word for word the post by Albert Penello who was the Lead Marketing guy for MS before PS4 and Xbox One came out. Also pretty sure he had to own up to being wrong after many games came out that proved him wrong.

Achillias

This guy knows fuck all. And he knows it too. Trying to avoid the head on himself with starting his tweet with: "rumors before the show" retorica, bullshit. Non of the developers where able to get the Scarlett devkit yet. So it's all easy scapegoating in the hope to get some new followers. And his name know on the internet.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Pallas

This guy knows fuck all. And he knows it too. Trying to avoid the head on himself with starting his tweet with: "rumors before the show" retorica, bullshit. Non of the developers where able to get the Scarlett devkit yet. So it's all easy scapegoating in the hopevtpvget some new followers.
tenor.gif

Wait is that true? I figured both devkits were out in the wild.

Top Bottom