• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 more powerful than Xbox Scarlet, according to Game Informer editor

TLZ

Banned
What is a "Sony Pony?"

Is there a Sony Pony Pro I can buy?
I did a google image search and found this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Thinking about this logicially:

Microsoft don't need to spend money to be the most powerful, they just need a powerful console. As long as it plays games to an impressive standard, they only really need to push Gamepass and PC cross play.

Sony need to spend money on a powerful console so that they can power PSVR2 the best they can. Sure, it's a bonus to say they are the most powerful, but it's more out of need than out of want.

Does that make any sense?

FranXico

Microsoft don't need to spend money to be the most powerful, they just need a powerful console. As long as it plays games to an impressive standard, they only really need to push Gamepass and PC cross play.

Sony need to spend money on a powerful console so that they can power PSVR2 the best they can. Sure, it's a bonus to say they are the most powerful, but it's more out of need than out of want.

That's a good summary.

Each company designs their console to meet certain goals, marketing a power advantage is just a nice bonus if it comes to them.
As far as consumers are concerned, I'm glad that (hopefully) any differences in power are small, so nobody will feel like they got the short end of the deal.

Last edited:
That's a good summary.

Each company designs their console to meet certain goals, marketing a power advantage is just a nice bonus if it comes to them.
As far as consumers are concerned, I'm glad that (hopefully) any differences in power are small, so nobody will fell like they got the short end of the deal.

Yeah I think the margins will be smaller than this gen, something something diminishing returns. But it seems that Sony's plan is a traditional console with powerful accessories. That plan has worked 4 times now, no reason it wouldn't work again.

Where as Microsoft need a console that's powerful enough to save face, or that doesn't lag behind too much, but their money is on services and streaming, not raw power for local single-player gaming.

Roitorb

With all the games at E3 pretty much releasing in March/April 2020 I think this is when the PS5 will launch.

Bigfroth

I don't get all the butthurt in this thread lol both sides we're basically word for word on what to expect for next gen. Some people in this thread sound like there ready to jump out a window if one console has more GB's than the other.

Sentenza

I mean, I don't give a shit about either, so it's not really that important for me, but every single rumor I've heard before this E3 suggested the exact opposite.

bitbydeath

I don't get all the butthurt in this thread lol both sides we're basically word for word on what to expect for next gen. Some people in this thread sound like there ready to jump out a window if one console has more GB's than the other.

Yep. Games are what’s important.

Reactions: Isa

baphomet

I mean, I don't give a shit about either, so it's not really that important for me, but every single rumor I've heard before this E3 suggested the exact opposite.

Sure, but I'm going to tend to think rumors sourced from a video game industry event with lots of people who have direct access to both Dev kits are likely more true than stuff random people say on the internet.

Ninjamaeden

Neo Member
At this point the differences are going to be so negligible its not even worth mentioning. Sure, one might have slightly better performance than the other but for the majority of games, built for the same common denominator wont look much different.

Honestly, If you own both a PS4 and a Xbox one, how many games did you buy soley for the difference in performance? likewise with a pro and X? You might have bought one or two titles especially at first, but you sson realise that the differences are more down to the eco system, services, controller and community you prefer.

farmerboy

Really, its only games that matter. But I'll be fucked if I have to listen to Greenberg carry on if Scarlett is more powerful. That prick is unbearable.

I doubt there's that much a difference between them in a meaningful way, though it certainly is an added benefit if it gives better resolution or a better framerate. Actually, I am much more interested in the software and features side, as that was also one of the areas PS4 did brilliant in during their 2013 Playstation Conference.
Games and console features is what'll be more important, unless there's a major power discrepancy. Features/software that are gaming featured and those who are more focused around other media.
Heck, even certain hardware features might end up making a difference.

That said, Sony has an advantage through their varied classic IP catalogue, their first party studios, their worldwide focus and connections, their VR focus, the way they'll hold out for a unique game even if people think it's dead.

spectyre

I don't play FPSs, driving games, or multiplayer. I can't seem to enjoy Nintendo 1st party games. They just seem so tedious to me. Sony 1st party games are just my speed. After the first 10 minutes Into a game, slight graphical differences would go completely unnoticed by me. So any small power difference is immaterial to me. Only Sony can make me drop the Playstation. Censorship and SJW bs is enough to make me stop and observe before I jump in next gen. I might be Intellivision only next gen.

Cato

Banned
I don't care whether the PS5 is more or less powerful than some other console. That is all irrelevant.

What I DO care about is that BB2 must be a launch title or there will be trouble.

rəddəM

No logic here.
XBox doesn't have console selling exclusives and it can't compete with PC.
By now it should be Microsoft Box and Microsoft Game Pass.

Elginer

Honestly, at this point, for me obviously I could care less if Sony's next system is slightly less powerful. They have amazing devs making content I want, which is King as Nintendo has shown. Sony this gen has once again had their first party make some fantastic ass games. Unless that changes and I don't see it happening, I'll be damn Happy with a PS5.

Journey

Banned
I keep thinking today what the MS engineers were thinking... waste that much of space will never be a good think lol
They could have twice the GPU power without eSRAM... like near 2.5 TFs without increase the size of the chip.

The design was calling for 8GB of ram and DDR3 was the only way of achieving that at the time. In order to make up for the lack of bandwidth in DDR3, they had to add ES RAM to compensate. You have to understand, MS was focusing on getting 8GB of ram from day one, well before 8GB of GDDR5 was even possible to fit. Game DVR, Live game broadcast and everything OS related that we take for granted today requires lots of ram. Sony on the other hand was content with 4GB of GDDR5 and it was their original target. Luck played a little part in it that at the very last minute Samsung started producing chips with enough density to allow 8GB to fit in the PS4.

It wasn't a money issue either as it's been shown that it actually costs more to produce MS chip with ES Ram than it does to produce Sony's, so the budget was there, people claiming that it had to do with Kinect taking part of the budget are wrong in part, and when I say in part, I mean because there was something taking a budget, and that was ES Ram taking die space budget from the GPU die forcing them to use less CU.

ethomaz

Banned
The design was calling for 8GB of ram and DDR3 was the only way of achieving that at the time. In order to make up for the lack of bandwidth in DDR3, they had to add ES RAM to compensate. You have to understand, MS was focusing on getting 8GB of ram from day one, well before 8GB of GDDR5 was even possible to fit. Game DVR, Live game broadcast and everything OS related that we take for granted today requires lots of ram. Sony on the other hand was content with 4GB of GDDR5 and it was their original target. Luck played a little part in it that at the very last minute Samsung started producing chips with enough density to allow 8GB to fit in the PS4.

It wasn't a money issue either as it's been shown that it actually costs more to produce MS chip with ES Ram than it does to produce Sony's, so the budget was there, people claiming that it had to do with Kinect taking part of the budget are wrong in part, and when I say in part, I mean because there was something taking a budget, and that was ES Ram taking die space budget from the GPU die forcing them to use less CU.
Yeap even without Kinect the APU itself was more expensive to MS than Sony because it was bigger and the wields probably lower (that last point assumption based in the complexity and size).

But Sony didn't use high density GDDR5 (4Gb) at first... it used twice the chips to reach 8GB in the consoles at launch... only after some date in 2015 (model CUH-1200) that they shifted to 8Gb GDDR5.

I saw a lot of boards with 16 instead 8 GDDR5 chips.

For example:

QiyYGcB2mVAtCcxy.medium

S5Unor5g5uVSO6HM.medium

Only the first board revision removed the GDDR5 from front using high density for 8 chips only on back:

jpg

jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom