• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Operating System to Make Playing Games “As Easy as Netflix”

Playstation-5-logo.jpg

The PlayStation 5 SSD will reduce load times for games considerably, and it seems like the operating system will take advantage of this to make picking games to play extremely streamlined.

In a new comment on the ResetEra forums, Kotaku's Jason Schreier revealed that one of the pitches Sony has been made to developers is “playing a PS5 game should be as easy as Netflix.”

I have heard some fascinating things about the PS5’s operating system like this - one of the pitches they’ve been making to developers is “playing a PS5 game should be as easy as Netflix.” They want to make players feel like they can load up the game immediately and know exactly how much time a given activity is going to take them. They want people to feel more inclined to play in short bursts rather than only wanting to turn on the console when they have a few hours to spare.
While the PlayStation 5 SSD will bring some welcome improvements to how we access games, what it likely will not bring are massive changes to open-world games, as we reported yesterday.

I typed this elsewhere, but people saying things about the SSD enabling entirely different looking open-world games does not make much sense based upon what we know about open-world development really. All data pulled from SSD would be static data, completely unmutable. That would mean perfectly predesigned level data and arrangements, which is the exact opposite methodology of how modern open-world games increase their detail and variety — which is in fact through procedural method not living on the disk... Procedural methods exist to increase the efficiency of artists and diversity of the game world and even increase detail beyond static draws.

CJY

Banned
That's a good way to put it. I hate 97% of Netflix content so I don't subscribe, but their UI is industry leading in terms of immediacy.

I totally feel this:
They want people to feel more inclined to play in short bursts rather than only wanting to turn on the console when they have a few hours to spare

The advances they made going from PS3 to PS4 is insane. I feel like I need days to spare to turn on my PS3.

Days -> Hours -> Minutes

If Cerny can do that, I'd definitely play way more, it's a game changer for me.

That's a good way to put it. I hate 97% of Netflix content so I don't subscribe, but their UI is industry leading in terms of immediacy.

I totally feel this:

The advances they made going from PS3 to PS4 is insane. I feel like I need days to spare to turn on my PS3.

Days -> Hours -> Minutes

If Cerny can do that, I'd definitely play way more, it's a game changer for me.

The way which Jason describes PS5 UI is something like this???

Ms shows how you can pause and resume 5 games at the same time, Schreier describes what he has ....heard. As for the open world games anyone with even the smallest knowledge of videogames can understand that the bs we were reading about how the SSD would change them was just that, bullshit.

Last edited:

Renozokii

A) Netflix is not known for having a great UI. It's fairly simple but settings can be a pain to get to, finding the exact type of content you want is a challenge, and they take up the entire UI with content THEY want you to use.

B) Why are people eating this click bait, buzzword nonsense up so hard from Sony? Yes their SSD may be a bit faster, but is the implication here that Microsoft's isn't pretty damn close? Do people care about a load time difference of 4 seconds, to 6 seconds?

C) I like Jason as a writer sometimes, but his bias has been overwhelming this gen. Is Sony paying him to market? Is he trying to appease to a downtrodden Sony fanbase by giving hope? As a gaming journalists, one of the more respected ones IMO, he of all people shouldn't be spouting buzzwords around, should he? Why isn't he leaking any Series X info?

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Absolutely agree.

Loading something I’m already watching on Netflix is a matter of seconds, whereas loading up a PS4 game feels like a minutes-long ordeal with multiple loading screens and 15 logos.

If this has an affect on my desire to play, as a gaming enthusiast, I can only imagine how it affects the mainstream.

The less friction with starting a game, the more people play.

That’s good for both developers/publishers, and players looking for a pick-up-and-play experience, and an instant burst of fun.

-Arcadia-

Banned
What does that even mean? Isn't that how the ps4 and x1 OS is? Just view a list of games and then...start one.
Exactly. What the hell.

Reading is fundamental.

I have heard some fascinating things about the PS5’s operating system like this - one of the pitches they’ve been making to developers is “playing a PS5 game should be as easy as Netflix.” They want to make players feel like they can load up the game immediately and know exactly how much time a given activity is going to take them. They want people to feel more inclined to play in short bursts rather than only wanting to turn on the console when they have a few hours to spare.

This is the kind of stuff I’m really curious about. The hardware talk is awesome but I can’t wait to see what both consoles OS operates like

Both sides seem to be big on quick resume or features similer to quick resume, which is awesome

Last edited:

Reading is fundamental.

That quotes tells us nothing and doesn't have anything to do with netflix nor games as they relate to the OS. It's also completely subjective. It might take me 45 minutes to get through one level in Uncharted 5 while it takes someone else 20.

Also, with instant resume which is currently available it's very possible to immediately load up a game.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Playstation-5-logo.jpg

The PlayStation 5 SSD will reduce load times for games considerably, and it seems like the operating system will take advantage of this to make picking games to play extremely streamlined.

In a new comment on the ResetEra forums, Kotaku's Jason Schreier revealed that one of the pitches Sony has been made to developers is “playing a PS5 game should be as easy as Netflix.”

While the PlayStation 5 SSD will bring some welcome improvements to how we access games, what it likely will not bring are massive changes to open-world games, as we reported yesterday.

Reseter..

I stop reading to this point.

-Arcadia-

Banned
That quotes tells us nothing and doesn't have anything to do with netflix nor games as they relate to the OS. It's also completely subjective. It might take me 45 minutes to get through one level in Uncharted 5 while it takes someone else 20.

Also, with instant resume which is currently available it's very possible to immediately load up a game.

No. It tells us that you jump into threads, comment without reading, then try to make cognitively dissonant excuses for it. Or that your reading comprehension is nil.

Do better instead of wasting everyone’s time.

Good point on instant resume, though, but with being only available for one game at a time, it’s hardly convenient for most.

No. It tells us that you jump into threads, comment without reading, then try to make cognitively dissonant excuses for it. Or that your reading comprehension is nil.

Do better instead of wasting everyone’s time.

Good point on instant resume, though, but with being only available for one game at a time, it’s hardly convenient for most.

What are you even talking about? Instead of attacking me like a 10 year old fanboy why don't you actually address my question? When it comes to a list of levels or sections of games, which I assume is comparable to show episodes, I hardly see that working out with a majority of titles. Ok, sure single player games with specific levels but only after you beat every level. Wow so cool. I'm excited for the ps5 but what Jason "heard" is retarded and your colors are showing.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Should be a snap to have stuff load up instantly for single player, with the new storage mediums and bandwith.

Yeah, but I mean the "know exactly how much time a given activity is going to take them" part. Or am I misunderstanding the intent? They're trying to tell the user "hey, grabbing a quick hunt in MHW will only take 15 minutes"?

Nymphae

Banned
I don't find it takes me very long, in terms of how the OS handles things, to start a game, or even turn the machine on.

The biggest time wasters are initial company logos and the actual game loading itself.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yeah, but I mean the "know exactly how much time a given activity is going to take them" part. Or am I misunderstanding the intent? They're trying to tell the user "hey, grabbing a quick hunt in MHW will only take 15 minutes"?

That gives me a little trouble too. I think it’s just bad writing, and they’re talking about not having to worry about how long the game takes to start? You know how much time it’ll take you, because there’s nothing extraneous, like boot-up and loading screens, getting in the way.

In the event that they’re not though, that’s a very interesting comment. Like you, I don’t see how that kind of scheduling would work. Even an MHW hunt can vary wildly with player performance.

You aren't misunderstanding anything. The comparison is very poor and arcadia is just playing defense.

Skyr

A snappy system is the thing I look most forward too with next gen consoles.
The sluggish and laggy menues + long loading times are one of the worst aspects about current gen consoles. Very excited for this.

-Arcadia-

Banned
For an extreme example, for some people wondering.

Start up Netflix on your phone and watch something. From booting the app, to picking your profile, to getting in your video, it should take ten seconds or under.

Start up GTA V or Fortnite on your PS4 (I don’t have an Xbox One, so I don’t know if things are better there) and you’ll be waiting a matter of minutes, from hardware start-up to finally getting in-game.

Obviously, one of those experiences is an order of magnitude more pleasant than the other, even if some gamers are used to long waits over the past 25 years of gaming.

Alx

It feels like what I've been doing this gen, with instant resume, multi-tasking OS and all kinds of connectivity. Play in short bursts, switch instantly from watching TV to music to movies to games. Sure reducing loading times will help make it seamless, but the concept is already there. Especially for those with a digital library.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

I don't find it takes me very long, in terms of how the OS handles things, to start a game, or even turn the machine on.

The biggest time wasters are initial company logos and the actual game loading itself.
Those company logos are the game loading.

If I load up SotC now on PS4 it will take about 2 minutes (pretty long, and there are worse). On PS5 you press the icon and it should take no longer than a couple of seconds; in the game, playing (although I still expect some splash logos for publisher and developer recognition). I know I would definitely think about playing more.

It feels like what I've been doing this gen, with instant resume, multi-tasking OS and all kinds of connectivity. Play in short bursts, switch instantly from watching TV to music to movies to games. Sure reducing loading times will help make it seamless, but the concept is already there. Especially for those with a digital library.
Do you have a Pro or X? Because any other app in background slows the base PS4 OS quite a bit and it hangs quite often. In the end, if you don't save your game progress you will require leaving it on rest mode to resume later on, which is not power efficient, and a burden to the player.

Top Bottom