• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

bitbydeath

PS5-Logo-1600p-950x250.jpg

DISCLAIMER: This is an information thread, not a comparison thread. Please leave your comparisons or MeToo's for other such threads. Also please tag me if you believe something of value is missing.

jpkf7rg.jpg

u3rDvjr.jpg

DSf5eb13516f9c6d0a.gif

20ig2vY.jpg

MYz2fI2.jpg

zJawPb0.jpg

U9Vt77H.jpg

50488968796_e25764bf48_h.jpg
50488259263_7f3e75fabd_h.jpg

Sr7RAZc.jpg

XR1JlNB.png

AonQKOL.jpg

hLuhWu1.png

Other Applications available at launch:
Funimation
Plex

5BY1hAv.jpg

0fJKjGP.jpg

yDAw0aA.jpg

Hvle9DN.jpg

PPgOn3m.jpg

bjIzFrG.jpg

More information on BC can be found here

unK7ggx.jpg

aBqSJaG.jpg

Nzdl5Cf.jpg

VPzVxDg.jpg

Sony is investing heavily in 3D audio via a dedicated Tempest Engine with custom designs to make sound appear more realistic and situational.

The "tempest engine" is based on AMD's GPU technology, and is built around SPU-like architecture, which is not dissimilar to the PS3.

It has enough processing ability (with a kind of processing called single instruction, multiple data, or SIMD) as all of the PS4’s eight-core processing capability combined — just for 3D audio.
"Where we ended up is a unit with roughly the same SIMD power and bandwidth as all eight Jaguar cores in the PS4 combined," Mark Cerny reveals in his presentation.

"If we were to use the same algorithms as PSVR, that's enough for something like five thousand sound sources - but of course we want to use more complex algorithms, and we don't need anything like that number of sounds."
The PS5’s new Tempest Engine will support hundreds of sound sources, meaning it will appear that sound could be coming from hundreds of different directions as you hear it in a game. When you have something like raindrops, you’ll hear them coming from many different directions.

You can also more precisely track locality, or where objects are located. If an enemy is sneaking up on you, you’ll be better able to tell that.

Going forward, Sony is optimistic about great results from virtual surround from TV speakers and sound bars, with multi-speaker systems also due for support.

However, the ambition of the surround audio system is such that we may not see its potential fully realised for some time.

Note: Not every game is going to have super complex audio sampling and rendering, and for those games, Cerny says the Tempest 3D Audio Engine can be used as an extra processor for certain types of calculations.

52coIS2.jpg

PS5 features hardware based Ray Tracing.

Ray tracing simulates the way light moves in real life, and how it bounces off various surfaces. Games that take advantage of this feature will render objects much more accurately, and with heightened realism. Water, glass, light refraction, a character’s hair and so on, will look even more realistic.

PS5's Ray tracing uses the same strategy as AMD's upcoming PC GPUs.
The CU's contain a new specialized unit called the intersection engine which can calculate the intersection of rays with
boxes and triangles.

I've (Mark Cerny has) already seen a PlayStation 5 title that's successfully using ray tracing based reflections in complex animated scenes with only modest costs.

iQIxPyAkvtlEzQOm.jpg

D3P1Lxl.jpg

CPU overhead from data decompression and management is pretty high. The more data that's moved, the more the CPU is taxed, and if it's pushed too far, frame rates drop astronomically.

To solve these issues, a custom decompressor was built directly into the I/O (Input/Output) unit.

"By the way, in terms of performance, that custom decompressor equates to nine of our Zen 2 cores, that's what it would take to decompress the Kraken stream with a conventional CPU," Cerny reveals.

T2agnK3.jpg

PS5's GPU is equipped with what is known as a Cache Scrubber.
This function is used to improve efficiency and ensure the cache isn't filled with redundant data.

The whole process of loading it happens invisibly to you (the developer) and at very high speed.
Allowing the dream of no load screens and super-fast streaming to become a reality.

To avoid further impacts to GPU performance - we've (Sony has) implemented coherency engines to inform the GPU of the overwritten address ranges and custom scrubbers in several dozen GPU caches to pinpoint evictions of just those address ranges.

cDFv4ms.jpg

This memory is synergized with the SSD on an architectural level and drastically boosts RAM efficiency. The memory is no longer "parking" data from an HDD; the SSD can deliver data right to the RAM almost instananeously.

The result sees RAM only holding assets and data for the next 1 second of gameplay. The PS4's 8GB of GDDR5 memory held assets for the next 30 seconds of gameplay.

pA5bbSFuCHM5ZJZY4uJgQd-1200-80.png

9TIRatz.jpg

The I/O unit is capable of handling over 5 gigabytes of kraken format input data a second. After decompression that typically becomes eight or nine gigabytes but the unit itself is capable of outputting as much as 22 gigabytes a second if the data
is compressed particularly well.

The I/O unit also contains a large pool of SRAM which is used principally to direct the variety of custom hardware around it.

A dedicated DMA controller (equivalent to one or two Zen 2 cores in performance terms) directs data to where it needs to be, while two dedicated, custom processors handle I/O and memory mapping. On top of that, coherency engines operate as housekeepers of sorts.

ps5-ssd-cache.jpg

mHY2K2Q.jpg

The SSD is so fast that textures can be loaded within the same second that you move the player.

ETZ4cKqXgAEbwRu

1eq4pZc.jpg

Za6FAqN.jpg

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/
https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/
https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...next-gen-playstation-5-launches-holiday-2020/
https://venturebeat.com/2020/03/18/playstation-5-mark-cerny-explains-tempest-engine-for-3d-audio/
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7134...ep-dive-into-next-gen-storage-tech/index.html
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision
https://blog.us.playstation.com/202...w-wireless-game-controller-for-playstation-5/
https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-audio-tempest/
https://www.techradar.com/news/ps5-...quire-you-to-send-sony-a-picture-of-your-ears
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...n-limited-playstation-5-output-in-first-year
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/0...499-for-ps5-with-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disc-drive/
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/15/first-look-playstation-5s-next-generation-user-experience/
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/09/ps4-games-on-ps5-your-top-questions-answered/
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/1...p-entertainment-streaming-apps-coming-to-ps5/
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/

Last edited:

protonion

I cannot wait!

I have all the PlayStation consoles and for PS4 I was there day one. So its been a while!

It has been an awesome ride for over 20 years now.

I hope the v design is the base of the retail unit. There is a black render floating around that looks amazing.

I believe until mid June we will have the reveal event.

I will be there day one again.

-Arcadia-

Banned
To help start us off, could someone help me understand how the PS5 GPU and CPU’s Boost Mode operations differ compared to a traditional console?

I’ve watched Mark Cerny talk about it. I’ve watched Digital Foundry talk about it. It still, however, kind of goes over my head.

Great job OP. You should talk about the I/O custom hardware (Kraken + DMA controller) performance equivalent to 10 or 11 zen 2 cores. This is a lot of performance dedicated to SSD loading and streaming.

"By the way, in terms of performance, that custom decompressor equates to nine of our Zen 2 cores, that's what it would take to decompress the Kraken stream with a conventional CPU," Cerny reveals.

A dedicated DMA controller (equivalent to one or two Zen 2 cores in performance terms) directs data to where it needs to be, while two dedicated, custom processors handle I/O and memory mapping. On top of that, coherency engines operate as housekeepers of sorts.

Also the GPU scrubbers will actually improve GPU performance during any I/O job:
it could really hurt the GPU performance - so we've implemented a gentler way of doing things, where the coherency engines inform the GPU of the overwritten address ranges and custom scrubbers in several dozen GPU caches do pinpoint evictions of just those address ranges.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

To help start us off, could someone help me understand how the PS5 GPU and CPU’s Boost Mode operations differ compared to a traditional console?

I’ve watched Mark Cerny talk about it. I’ve watched Digital Foundry talk about it. It still, however, kind of goes over my head.

Disclaimer: This is from my understanding, which could always be wrong.

GPU Cache Scrubber:

You’re probably familiar with the term cache for web browsers, that’s when you visit a website such as this one and it downloads the contents (images and such) to a local cache so it doesn’t have to redownload content upon refreshing the page.

Now translating that to gaming, when you hit a load screen it is preparing the cache for what you’re about to see in game. I imagine this typically clears out when you hit the next load screen and then it gathers the new content. (Think Skyrim and the nightmare endured of walking in and out of a building.)

Since the SSD is now fast enough to stream content while you play that data no longer needs to stay in cache and the scrubber clears it out just as quickly as it arrives thereby freeing up resources.

CPU:

All data is compressed, to achieve loading data on the fly as mentioned above for the GPU would mean the CPU would constantly be doing that job as it’s now running it as you move instead of at the loading of a level.

This task was moved to custom hardware so the CPU wouldn’t be as restricted and could instead focus on other tasks such as physics or AI.

Really excited for;

Tempest - audio is a bigger deal than people think.

Great thread, THANKS!!

not really... i think you don't know that soundwise Xbox one is one generation ahead above ps4.
xbox one can Dolby Digital and MS tech: Sonicaudio.

There are many xbox games with RT audio [gears4/5, sea of thieves..Forza Motorsport 7, Middle-earth: Shadow of War, Assassins’s Creed Origins, Super Lucky’s Tale, and PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds. etc.]

bitbydeath

not really... i think you don't know that soundwise Xbox one is one generation ahead above ps4.

There are many xbox games with RT audio [gears4/5, sea of thieves..Forza Motorsport 7, Middle-earth: Shadow of War, Assassins’s Creed Origins, Super Lucky’s Tale, and PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds. etc.]

None of that please.

bitbydeath

-Arcadia-

Banned

We have enough comparison battlegrounds. This thread is about the PS5.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Disclaimer: This is from my understanding, which could always be wrong.

GPU Cache Scrubber:

You’re probably familiar with the term cache for web browsers, that’s when you visit a website such as this one and it downloads the contents (images and such) to a local cache so it doesn’t have to redownload content upon refreshing the page.

Now translating that to gaming, when you hit a load screen it is preparing the cache for what you’re about to see in game. I imagine this typically clears out when you hit the next load screen and then it gathers the new content. (Think Skyrim and the nightmare endured of walking in and out of a building.)

Since the SSD is now fast enough to stream content while you play that data no longer needs to stay in cache and the scrubber clears it out just as quickly as it arrives thereby freeing up resources.

CPU:

All data is compressed, to achieve loading data on the fly as mentioned above for the GPU would mean the CPU would constantly be doing that job as it’s now running it as you move instead of at the loading of a level.

This task was moved to custom hardware so the CPU wouldn’t be as restricted and could instead focus on other tasks such as physics or AI.

That’s incredibly informative, and appreciated.

I meant how PS5 handles it’s GPU/CPU clocks, though. That strikes me as a really interesting, unique, and clever part of its architecture, at least what I do understand.

magnumpy

since both systems have basically the same hardware, how awful would it be if one of them is hands down better? but even in that case, are we talking more than a ~15% difference between them?

D:

Fake

Great thread. One correction, is the GPU a custom made RDNA 2.0, not RDNA 2?
And virtual surround. Maybe I missed that in audio feactures.

I give this thread 9.2tf out of 10
Did not take too long.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I believe PS5 will introduce a new way for devs to develop games in more easy and fast ways without taking time to build something just to solve another thing .. I’m excited to see what First party at Sony did for the PS5

going to be huge

sircaw

Banned
Thank you for creating the thread.
Well thought out.

Really looking forward to more details on the ssd and the cooling system.

LordOfChaos

I was a little whelmed with the final CPU and GPU numbers, but this was a clear matter of drummed up expectations, Microsoft went hard and that's fine. The more I stew on it, the more many of my gaming annoyances will be handled by this focus on SSD tech.

What was the biggest flaw with the last God of War? For me, all the waiting, going back to the world tree, spinning it to load in a new area, etc. What if you could run between realms instantly, what could that do for gameplay? Interacting with one alters another, etc?

Same limitations with so many games, Horizon devs wanted to have flying but needed to put a cap on how fast you could move etc. Imagine what Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Guerrilla and so on are going to do with a much more powerful box with vastly more powerful IO.

I know they gave us the amount of PS2 that the ps5 equates too. But what about the amount of PSP's?

About 433

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Nice thread, dude! Also, necessary thread!! I'm very excited for this machine as someone who just got a PS4 pro later last year after my last console being a PS2.

I'll just buy it by the end of 2021 probably.

Top Bottom